Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Flashed back to stock on my N7, heres hoping it can handle it when L is rolled out OTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone got the OTA update yet on Nexus 7 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Anyone got the OTA update yet on Nexus 7 2013?

Nobody's got the update on any device

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Motorola rolled out a soak test for a few Moto X 2014 Pure Edition owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Running the developer build and apps can so much now... Annoying me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭EvanKelly6

Any word on if it will be released tomorrow to Nexus devices? Or was the 12th just a random date thrown out?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

EvanKelly6 wrote: »
    Any word on if it will be released tomorrow to Nexus devices? Or was the 12th just a random date thrown out?

At this point, I'm thinking it was just random. That said, the day isn't over yet. No change yet on my Nexus 5 or 7, and Google's Nexus twitter account is sticking to their "in the coming weeks" line.

Irlandczyk wrote: »
    At this point, I'm thinking it was just random. That said, the day isn't over yet. No change yet on my Nexus 5 or 7, and Google's Nexus twitter account is sticking to their "in the coming weeks" line.

Don't get why they aren't just setting a date for it's release. Ran into a lot of bugs perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On one of for android sites there was a apk posted for 5.0 for nexus 7 last night /early this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Gatling wrote: »
    On one of for android sites there was a apk posted for 5.0 for nexus 7 last night /early this morning

Yeah, saw that. Link below. It's for 2012 model, though, so no good for me.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/11/leak-download-lollipop-lrx21p-factory-image-for-2012-nexus-7-wifi/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yeah, saw that. Link below. It's for 2012 model, though, so no good for me.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/11/leak-download-lollipop-lrx21p-factory-image-for-2012-nexus-7-wifi/

I've a 2012 I'm debating waiting for the official OTA release

Gatling wrote: »
    I've a 2012 I'm debating waiting for the official OTA release

Looks like it's close to a finished product, but if it was me, I'd wait. If I put it on my N7 today, I'd only want to put the official one on it next week or whenever, and that's too much hassle. Do the job once and do it right, that's how I'd look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

Nexus 7 (2012) : I'm waiting to for the official link and also for TSTO to update to run on L.

Mix reports of some bad experience's of flashing this image, errors such as reduced storage, when trying to flash a modified boot.img for root.

Anyone considering flashing should check this XDA thread

Don't flash the new recovery keep the working version you already have.

Anyone here successfully flash this and kept root?

I assume you can just flash the Boot.img and System.img to keep data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

corkie wrote: »
    Anyone here successfully flash this and kept root?

I assume you can just flash the Boot.img and System.img to keep data?

Yeah, me, kinda.
    But I wouldn't recommend you do a "dirty" flash. I reckon it's why so many people were running into issues, like being left with only 6GB of space, etc.

I just let it do its thing and wipe everything to start afresh. Then I just used the new CF-Auto-Root-grouper-nakasi-nexus7 that Chainfire released earlier today. Old grouper is going well with Lollipop. It doesn't seem any slower than with KK, and love having it match the look of my 7-2013 with the L preview now. It'll be sweet to match it up with your new Nexus 9.

Got Chainfire's auto root from this page, it's about 6 up from the very bottom. Unzip the contents. Put the Nexus in Fastboot mode and run the batch file inside. Nexus will reboot and the kernel patcher will do its magic and root files installed with no further intervention.

http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

horgan_p wrote: »
    nexus 5 factory image is out :

Ouch.. 556.26MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Like a gob****e I downloaded the Nexus 7 2012 edition, good job I checked the md5 and they didn't match so went back to site and realized it was the 2012 one I downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

horgan_p wrote: »

Both Nexus 7 wifi factory images and Nexus 10 are also available.

I though had a change detection setup for that page, but didn't get the email yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

corkie wrote: »
    Both Nexus 7 wifi factory images are also available.

I though had a change detection setup for that page, but didn't get the email yet.

I was tearing my remaining hair out for a half hour after the posts on Android Police appeared because the factory image page wasn't updating for me.
    Eventually managed to refresh it and grab the other (2013) Nexus 7 image.
    Now for the Moto X... :-) Hope it won't be too far behind the newer one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

factory wiping my nexus 10 been waiting on lollipop to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Double tap to wake feature not on Nexus 7 2013. DAMN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Ah ffs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So buttery smooth. Jebus it's smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

That tap to share your settings has made life that extra bit easy updating the Nexus 7 2012. I had a Galaxy 2, so apart from some Samsung stuff trying to install, the wipe and install of the Nexus has been painless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Raoul

I wonder how long it will take the custom rom developers to have a nexus 4 stable android 5.0 image ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

99% sure that's a hardware thing, so it's probably impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

DTW is fundmentally a hardware feature - there is a literally a second low power wire running to the screen for those phones that have it. Some roms are emulating it but without that low power wire it would *eat* your battery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Great hopefully get this before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

Worth bookmarking this page to see when the OTA zip for your device is available. *Hits F5 madly*

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/12/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Raoul wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take the custom rom developers to have a nexus 4 stable android 5.0 image ready.
    I suppose it depends on how much modding they do. My N4 runs CM 11 and I will just wait for them to port it. L is fine (bloke beside me in work has it on his N5...had a look this morning) but I am too lazy to flash stock L and then flash CM 12. Patience is a virtue as they say.

I guess this will take longer than it normally does however as it's a major version release, so large parts of the code will have been refactored or replaced.

murphaph wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how much modding they do. My N4 runs CM 11 and I will just wait for them to port it. L is fine (bloke beside me in work has it on his N5...had a look this morning) but I am too lazy to flash stock L and then flash CM 12. Patience is a virtue as they say.

I guess this will take longer than it normally does however as it's a major version release, so large parts of the code will have been refactored or replaced.

CM12 Nightlies are due to be released next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nexus 5 with Android 5 is where it's at kids! :D

F**k the Nexus 6! :pac:

*just jealous that I can't sfford one :P

If you're still waiting on the OTA update but want a taste of the new Material Design you can download the new Google Messenger app from the Play Store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

If you're still waiting on the OTA update but want a taste of the new Material Design you can download the new Google Messenger app from the Play Store!

I don't get the need for this. Could they not have just updated Hangouts? Why have the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Is it available on the irish play store? Its not showing for me on a search. Can you put up a link to it?

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I don't get the need for this. Could they not have just updated Hangouts? Why have the two?

Exactly how I feel. Maybe they've given up on Hangouts. Probably wasn't as popular as they expected..

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Is it available on the irish play store? Its not showing for me on a search. Can you put up a link to it?

Yep. Search for 'Messenger' in the play Store and then it should be 16th on the list..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Yep. Search for 'Messenger' in the play Store and then it should be 16th on the list..

No not showing at all for me, 16th is 'wivi SMS'. Scrolled down a fair bit and no sign. Does it handle hangouts chats and unify them with sms by the way? (if it did i'd be wondering what their at with hangouts as well)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

No not showing at all for me, 16th is 'wivi SMS'. Scrolled down a fair bit and no sign. Does it handle hangouts chats and unify them with sms by the way? (if it did i'd be wondering what their at with hangouts as well)

Haven't really used it yet to be honest. The link is on this thread now thanks to another poster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Why would anyone use this messanger app instead of their stock messanger on their phone? Are there better features on the google one?

Why would anyone use this messanger app instead of their stock messanger on their phone? Are there better features on the google one?

I don't think you can do much with features on a messaging app really. The only thing about this one is that it looks better than stock (IMO) and the way to add photos by dragging up the screen is kinda nice. I got this app about a month ago from a sideload, and after a few days I went back to hangouts TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I really do not see the point of yet another messenger app.

I think I will stick with Hangouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Google are absolute sadists... Everyday I get more and more apps on my phone updating with "New Material Design look and Lollipop improvements", but yet I still don't have the actual OS update yet! All these apps with their lovely new looks just make waiting for the 5.0 update even more difficult! Just lemme have it already!

The factory images for Android L (5.0) are available here.

I installed it on my Nexux 7 (2012 WiFi model) this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

laoisfan wrote: »
    The factory images for Android L (5.0) are available here.

I installed it on my Nexux 7 (2012 WiFi model) this morning.

Much work? I've used Android SDK before just don't wanna get too bogged down as It's my sisters phone and she's even more impatient than I am. It won't interfere with future OTA updates will it? Does it perform a full wipe on the device? (not a deal breaker just want to make sure she knows.)

pedatron wrote: »
    Much work? I've used Android SDK before just don't wanna get too bogged down as It's my sisters phone and she's even more impatient than I am. It won't interfere with future OTA updates will it? Does it perform a full wipe on the device? (not a deal breaker just want to make sure she knows.)

No, easy-peasy-lemon-squezzy :D

I just followed the instructions as per the link. Whole thing took around 20 mins for me but then the installation of the apps took a while. I am in work so I used their super fast wifi :)

Just so you know doing this method will wipe (factory reset) your device before installation. I wanted to do this method because previously on any update I normally had to do a factory reset after an OTA anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement