Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

This is the whole apple versus android thing again!

I personally have an Ipad 3 and a HTC One, obviously, aswell as ipod touch and several years of different android phones and iphones. For my money apple do great tablets/phones and IOS is very stable and easy to use but i think (especially since jelly bean) android is way ahead of it features wise and now also has that buttery smoothness that apple had. In saying that the app store of apple is still ahead of the android one in the quality stakes IMHO.

A lot of my mates refuse to buy anything but apple and i'm sure a lot of people here wont agree with me but hey thats my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

jones wrote: »
    This is the whole apple versus android thing again!

I personally have an Ipad 3 and a HTC One, obviously, aswell as ipod touch and several years of different android phones and iphones. For my money apple do great tablets/phones and IOS is very stable and easy to use but i think (especially since jelly bean) android is way ahead of it features wise and now also has that buttery smoothness that apple had. In saying that the app store of apple is still ahead of the android one in the quality stakes IMHO.

A lot of my mates refuse to buy anything but apple and i'm sure a lot of people here wont agree with me but hey thats my 2c

That's a fair enough assessment imo.

Apple do what they do fairly well. Some people simply want a phone to make calls, search the web and the iPhone does this very well.

But the only place where the iPhone compares with the top level android's these days is in sales. It will probably out sell all the top level android phones put together.
    In terms what the phone can do then it's miles behind imo.
    Getting a faulty htc phone is unfortunate and getting a second faulty phone is extremely unlucky but you cannot dish the company because of your misfortune. Manufactured products will always have flaws especially the early batches. They will replace or fix the fault.

Now if you want to buy an iPhone best of luck. Try changing the tv channel with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

beno619 wrote: »
    It's far superior to the iPhone 5 which is a given considering it's predecessor the One X and also the S3 were better than the iPhone.

I'm not a fan of the iPhone 5 at all. I have an iPhone 4 and for me its the benchmark in terms of build. As for OS and features everyone is different and the Android v IOS, or any OS v other OS is a pointless argument as they all have merits and flaws. I'm a tech slut. I use OSX on my desktop iMacs and minis (with Windows 7 on bootcamp), Windows 7 on my Vaio TT, 8 on the Vaio P 2nd gen & Vaio Duo 11, OS2 on my Playbook, IOS on ipad and iphone. I don't care what it is as long as it suits my needs.

WP8 has an incredibly efficient core where a single core cpu on any app often outperforms Android on a dual core. But customisation is extremely limited & for me lacks the ability to display huge amounts of info quickly (I personally need that).

Android: Open, flexible, scalable, huge choice. But the fact is its a mess of an OS internally and we have 4 cores where 3 are almost always unused. Getting to some settings feels like your doing a pre-flight check. Until recently its been like a motorbike from the eighties, more and more power will solve everything. (The One changes this attitude for me somewhat)

IOS: Slick, mature, but unless your jailbroken its controlling, limited and almost cult-like. Its the revolutionary turned Conservative (but not the jailbreak community which has a level of innovation & cohesive structure through Cydia which Androiders need to adopt right now. The level of cooperation and centralised troubleshooting of mods is incredible). If your Jailbroken try Lockinfo & Swipeselection with SBsettings JooMod and tell me this OS is for simple non-techies. The recent android equivalents Lockerpro & Tyype are so far second rate in comparison.

If someone made a mobile OS with WP8s efficiency, Androids customisation & IOS's symmetry & structured community you own the smartphone world. Its not here yet and fanboyism (not calling beno that) doesn't move any OS on.

The fact is HTC are gunning for Apple not Samsung. Aluminium body with contrasting screen to body, minimalist structured clean menu system with heavy emphasis on contrasting tones, top mount power button (which I love) and simple options to transfer an iphone users critical contacts via bluetooth on the spot (they even let you select the type of iphone FFS). I'm an iphone user since before they came out in Ireland and a jailbreaker long before the solutions came in 1 click app form. This is my 1st real determined attempt to move to Android due to the HTC One's ethos (Ive had an S2, Galaxy tab 10.1 and I hated them) but HTC need to control Q&A to Apple levels to make the coup complete & keep my business.

Off rant on my search to find apps comparable to IOS (for me) I discovered Carbon for twitter. Very simple, not for power users but beautiful and slick. Also tried Opera Beta (not Mini or Mobile) and its the best browsing experience I've used on a mobile device, any device. Its a beta so not perfect (no Opera Link yet) but try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

I'm not a fan of the iPhone 5 at all. I have an iPhone 4 and for me its the benchmark in terms of build. As for OS and features everyone is different and the Android v IOS, or any OS v other OS is a pointless argument as they all have merits and flaws. I'm a tech slut. I use OSX on my desktop iMacs and minis (with Windows 7 on bootcamp), Windows 7 on my Vaio TT, 8 on the Vaio P 2nd gen & Vaio Duo 11, OS2 on my Playbook, IOS on ipad and iphone. I don't care what it is as long as it suits my needs.

WP8 has an incredibly efficient core where a single core cpu on any app often outperforms Android on a dual core. But customisation is extremely limited & for me lacks the ability to display huge amounts of info quickly (I personally need that).

Android: Open, flexible, scalable, huge choice. But the fact is its a mess of an OS internally and we have 4 cores where 3 are almost always unused. Getting to some settings feels like your doing a pre-flight check. Until recently its been like a motorbike from the eighties, more and more power will solve everything. (The One changes this attitude for me somewhat)

IOS: Slick, mature, but unless your jailbroken its controlling, limited and almost cult-like. Its the revolutionary turned Conservative (but not the jailbreak community which has a level of innovation & cohesive structure through Cydia which Androiders need to adopt right now. The level of cooperation and centralised troubleshooting of mods is incredible). If your Jailbroken try Lockinfo & Swipeselection with SBsettings JooMod and tell me this OS is for simple non-techies. The recent android equivalents Lockerpro & Tyype are so far second rate in comparison.

If someone made a mobile OS with WP8s efficiency, Androids customisation & IOS's symmetry & structured community you own the smartphone world. Its not here yet and fanboyism (not calling beno that) doesn't move any OS on.

The fact is HTC are gunning for Apple not Samsung. Aluminium body with contrasting screen to body, minimalist structured clean menu system with heavy emphasis on contrasting tones, top mount power button (which I love) and simple options to transfer an iphone users critical contacts via bluetooth on the spot (they even let you select the type of iphone FFS). I'm an iphone user since before they came out in Ireland and a jailbreaker long before the solutions came in 1 click app form. This is my 1st real determined attempt to move to Android due to the HTC One's ethos (Ive had an S2, Galaxy tab 10.1 and I hated them) but HTC need to control Q&A to Apple levels to make the coup complete & keep my business.

Off rant on my search to find apps comparable to IOS (for me) I discovered Carbon for twitter. Very simple, not for power users but beautiful and slick. Also tried Opera Beta (not Mini or Mobile) and its the best browsing experience I've used on a mobile device, any device. Its a beta so not perfect (no Opera Link yet) but try it.

That was really well said. I would agree with every little bit of the above!

Hope you get the HTC one that works flawlessly - who knows, I may even give it another chance in a year or two if they iron out the glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I agree with most of this and can appreciate all of the mobile platforms we get to enjoy.

The iPad is by far the best tablet money cab buy and il be the first to admit that.

The only point I was making is that the iPhone 5 should not be held as some sort of benchmark device because is most certainly isnt.

I haven't been excited about an apple product since the iPhone 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

I agree with most of this and can appreciate all of the mobile platforms we get to enjoy.

The iPad is by far the best tablet money cab buy and il be the first to admit that.

The only point I was making is that the iPhone 5 should not be held as some sort of benchmark device because is most certainly isnt.

Ah yeah, but it does exactly what it says on the tin and there's a lot of comfort in that.

Ah yeah, but it does exactly what it says on the tin and there's a lot of comfort in that.

There are a lot of happy One owners here.

iPhone 4 owners that were told to hold their device the right way or buy a case
    so they could make phone calls might not agree.

I accept your point so lets not derail the thread anymore, its unfortunate you got 2 duds and im glad your happy with the iPhone.

Lets move on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Now if you want to buy an iPhone best of luck. Try changing the tv channel with that.

ah...you can ;)

I agree completely. The funny part is for me the iPhone 5 was the turning point, downward. I just represents a company which has become lazy (smacks of the demise of the Romam Empire a bit). I think the HTC One will have caused serious boardroom arguments within Apple asking why isn't this their device.

The One reeks of innovation unlike the 5. The great thing is for the consumer is the One represents a turning point for both IOS & Android, a mating of the qualities of both into one (sorry or the pun) package. An OS finally beginning to mature matched to build quality and a design which doesn't shout nerd and isn't obsessed with outright specs over the delivery of user experience. A good bit to go yet but its going to force all manufacturers to up their game for the benefit of the consumer.

Back to the HTC One can anyone recommend a notification dropdown widget like Sbsettings for IOS which is themeable. I've seen and tried a couple but they have felt very beta. It must allow multiple rows yet be relatively compact. I use the JooMod theme on ios so I'm looking for the same features displayed in the attachment. I'm happy if there is a way to invoke it in a separate dropdown (not a widget) to the notification dropdown. Something like swiping left to right on the statusbar which IOS does.

As an aside is there a way to make notifications in the dropdown smaller. They're the size of billboards and very wasteful of the 1080p resolution. I have about 12 email accounts and twitter, facebook, music etc so its permanently full at the current size fonts and borders.

Also is there a way to invoke a phonewide search. I've done it several times on Galaxy S's before with the left capacitive button but can't find it on the One. Am I just being dumb?

I've heard a few people comment about the settings in android, and I've never understood it. For me, settings on ios is a nightmare, simple tasks such as turning on WiFi is an effort. With android you have widgets, shortcuts etc. No setting should be more than a click away.

Add to that, Apple's on screen menu system which varies from app to app, so you never know quite where to tap on the screen. I honestly don't know why Android are wanting to get rid of the menu button, it's a real advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Folks, is it just me or the 'Complete Action Using' menu does not show relevant apps, just browsers (in my case I have three browsers). A Youtube link in a browser when clicked on should prompt to 'Complete Action Using' Browsers, YouTube etc, same with the Play Store, Making Calls etc etc. Most things are opening in the Browser, and if the link is in an app, it will open in the browser. Where is my 'Complete Action Using' menu for everything?

Another thing is the long click on a home screen, to bring up wallpapers etc, is bringing the same screen as 'pinch outward' on the homescreen. That's 'sense'less, two things doing the exact same from the homescreen, why remove the proper android long click menu?

Anyone know if there is an alternative to IOS Jailbreaks Lockinfo 4 (5 is crap), I live and breath this app on my iphone. On a 1080p screen it would be epic.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=11959

We're on 4.1.2 so we can't get the 4.2 lockscreen widgets (which can't compare to Lockinfo anyway) and Lockerpro looks like its getting there but still suffers the problem most Android notifications have of bigger is better. Need something with permanent notifications on the lockscreen the size they temporarily appear in the statusbar

Also is there a invoke a backward swipe (possibly over the statusbar) as capacitive gloves don't seem to work well with the capacitive buttons ironically. I 'm know its summer but its an Irish one so I'm think about what happens after that week is over.

Thinking it would be cool if you could use a finger swipe right over the camera lens to control back and forward (its an 88 degree lens so it has potential). Not something like the S4 swipe in mid-air I'm-trying-to-control-my-browser-but-look-like-a-ninja-with-mental-difficulties-on-the-train-station-platform thing.

I agree completely. The funny part is for me the iPhone 5 was the turning point, downward. I just represents a company which has become lazy (smacks of the demise of the Romam Empire a bit). I think the HTC One will have caused serious boardroom arguments within Apple asking why isn't this their device.

The One reeks of innovation unlike the 5. The great thing is for the consumer is the One represents a turning point for both IOS & Android, a mating of the qualities of both into one (sorry or the pun) package. An OS finally beginning to mature matched to build quality and a design which doesn't shout nerd and isn't obsessed with outright specs over the delivery of user experience. A good bit to go yet but its going to force all manufacturers to up their game for the benefit of the consumer.

This is exactly how I feel about the One it actually innovates when the 2 biggest players in the market are iterating.

Ultrapixel camera & dual membrane mics is a step in the right direction, Zoe, Highlights, Editing & the camera experience as a whole.

They out engineered Apple with there integration of antennas straight into the "Uni body" while making a breakthrough in call and signal quality.

Speakers are a no brainier.

Its a game changer for me the way the original iPhone was and the iPhone 4 after.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've heard a few people comment about the settings in android, and I've never understood it. For me, settings on ios is a nightmare, simple tasks such as turning on WiFi is an effort. With android you have widgets, shortcuts etc. No setting should be more than a click away.

Add to that, Apple's on screen menu system which varies from app to app, so you never know quite where to tap on the screen. I honestly don't know why Android are wanting to get rid of the menu button, it's a real advantage.

Again agreed, settings in IOS are terrible in comparison to Android.

Removing the menu button is a good idea imho, action overflow looks better while serving the same purpose and unifying the UI.
    The only issue is developers & certain manufacturers digging their heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

I wish the 'thumbs up' meant i agree instread of thanks haha so much easier

Folks, is it just me or the 'Complete Action Using' menu does not show relevant apps, just browsers (in my case I have three browsers). A Youtube link in a browser when clicked on should prompt to 'Complete Action Using' Browsers, YouTube etc, same with the Play Store, Making Calls etc etc. Most things are opening in the Browser, and if the link is in an app, it will open in the browser. Where is my 'Complete Action Using' menu for everything?

Another thing is the long click on a home screen, to bring up wallpapers etc, is bringing the same screen as 'pinch outward' on the homescreen. That's 'sense'less, two things doing the exact same from the homescreen, why remove the proper android long click menu?

Its not just you. I'm having the same thing. In fact I'm using Opera Beta (not Mini or Mobile) that doesn't even show up. Mini & Mobile are there along with Chrome and Firefox. Either we're missing something or the One is. The long click is doing the same for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

But it didn't when it was first released. This new design I mean. The iphone 4 had huge problems when it was new. You can't compare the reliability of a brand new design to something that's been refined for 2-3 years.

Can you give an example so I can test? You didn't select the browser one time, and tick 'use this app to complete action every time' or whatever it is?

Is anyone else finding their One is very easy to damage at the back. I know mine is faulty in terms of build quality with parts not fitted properly like the 1st but after 24hrs the 1st had a scratch under light use. Now the 2nd one has a very tiny nick right on the back. Its really only spent its time on a glass computer desk and hasn't been out of the house, Can't think how it got it. The iphone 4 only has 3 scratches after years of pretty heavy pub use.

Anyone know if a good rear protector. Not something that requires glues or surgical training to put on. Something like Power Support products which just seem to cling on themselves. They don't seem to get ragged at the edges like some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone upgrade from an s3?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limp2010

Had an annoying issue where I was getting edge/gprs signal even though I knew 3g was available. So I switched to WDCMA ONLY in the network menu and it does the job. 1 bar of H is worth more than 5 bars of G when it comes to data. Now I just need to find a way to incorporate that setting into a power toggle in my notification centre so I can turn it to AUTO when I'm out of 3g coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

Anyone know if there is an alternative to IOS Jailbreaks Lockinfo 4 (5 is crap), I live and breath this app on my iphone. On a 1080p screen it would be epic.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=11959

We're on 4.1.2 so we can't get the 4.2 lockscreen widgets (which can't compare to Lockinfo anyway) and Lockerpro looks like its getting there but still suffers the problem most Android notifications have of bigger is better. Need something with permanent notifications on the lockscreen the size they temporarily appear in the statusbar

Hey, if it's lock screen notifications you're looking for then you can enable them in the security settings menu. I'm not sure how effective they are as I've only enabled them. Text's are showing anyway.

Can't wait for the 4.2 update.

limp2010 wrote: »
    Had an annoying issue where I was getting edge/gprs signal even though I knew 3g was available. So I switched to WDCMA ONLY in the network menu and it does the job. 1 bar of H is worth more than 5 bars of G when it comes to data. Now I just need to find a way to incorporate that setting into a power toggle in my notification centre so I can turn it to AUTO when I'm out of 3g coverage.

Some custom ROMs in the past have altered the threshold for switching between the two. The worst is when you're in a weak 3G area and it constantly switches between the two. Kills battery as welll.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive had none of the issues here that people have been saying.

I can complete action using whichever app it wants.
    Ive had no damage/scratches to the screen at all.
    No headphone issues.

I have had an issue where sometimes teh "home" button just doesnt want me to select it and I have to back out of everything. Being honest though, it only seems to happen when a particular app is running in the background.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Can you give an example so I can test? You didn't select the browser one time, and tick 'use this app to complete action every time' or whatever it is?

Cheers, if you click on a youtube link on a webpage, it prompts to 'Complete Action Using' and then lists relevant apps which should include Youtube. But mine just shows the three browsers that I have, Youtube isn't listed. Its the same with a Google App from the Play store, if its linked in a webpage it should prompt you the same, listing Google Play amongst the apps, but again, on mine its only showing the Browsers amongst the app list to complete the action.
    Interestingly, in Firefox, if I browse to www.youtube.com then click on a video it will prompt to complete action using and it will include Youtube, but in Chrome it will just open it in the Browser. I have double checked this on the Nexus and it prompts everywhere.
    PS. No, I have selected no defaults, and checked settings to confirm no defaults have been chosen!

Is anyone else finding their One is very easy to damage at the back.

Not yet anyhow, seems robust enough to me, not that I want to test extensively for you ;)

antodeco wrote: »
    Ive had none of the issues here that people have been saying.

I can complete action using whichever app it wants.

Whatever apps 'it' wants, but are the correct apps being listed? See my post a couple up on what I mean. Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi all,

I have a new HTC one on three. When I look closely at anything with a white background I can see faint dark horizontal lines. It is noticeable when scrolling , the lines stay still when the txt moves.

Does anyone else have this issue with their phones?

Kencollins wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a new HTC one on three. When I look closely at anything with a white background I can see faint dark horizontal lines. It is noticeable when scrolling , the lines stay still when the txt moves.

Does anyone else have this issue with their phones?

Just checked. Definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

I've been following this thread and in general really like what I am hearing about the phone, so thanks to all for the feedback.
    I'm seriously considering one of these now (am due an upgrade from an S2) but still have one question: I've read that a couple of people have had QA issues with the headphone socket but aside from that can anyone tell me what the sound is like output to headphones? A relatively decent set of phones (I'll be using Senheisser Momentums and Ultimate Ears tf10 iems) with either FLAC or high quality mp3 source files.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Issac wrote: »
    I've been following this thread and in general really like what I am hearing about the phone, so thanks to all for the feedback.
    I'm seriously considering one of these now (am due an upgrade from an S2) but still have one question: I've read that a couple of people have had QA issues with the headphone socket but aside from that can anyone tell me what the sound is like output to headphones? A relatively decent set of phones (I'll be using Senheisser Momentums and Ultimate Ears tf10 iems) with either FLAC or high quality mp3 source files.

Thanks!

I think this quote from Blinked will help you! It's definitely one of the reasons I'm seriously considering this phone as good headphone sound is extremely important for me.
    It is a beautiful device so don't think I'm some Apple fanboy idiot bashing on Android. I went with the One as I'm sick of fighting Apple's cult-like control and the prioritization of PR ignorance over innovation (they've done nothing but steal others ideas since late 2010). I love Blinkfeed, the screen is gorgeous and the audio quality while using headphones (you've all heard about the front speakers which are the best out there so there is no point in going into detail) is better than any device I've ever used. I'm using €200+ UE TripleFi 10's which are incredible in ear monitors with a reputation for clarity and sound stage (and for being merciless if a tracks recording quality is poor) and the HTC One picks out individual instruments like nothing I've ever heard. The soundstage is vast, highs sparkle, mids are clear and defined. Stereo positioning is jaw-dropping on a high bitrate mp3. Its the 1st phone I can emphatically state demands high quality recorded content, maybe even FLAC. This isn't iPod quality, this is Cowon quality. I'll have to run tests on the bass before commenting as the tips I'm using on the TripleFi's are tuned for mids & treble so it would be unfair to judge that yet.

Advertisement