Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'll have a BQ please Bob

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

belcarra wrote: »
    TBW - Take the learning about nutrition and move on from this run.
    You know you've done far better sessions/lsrs @ PMP so the only difference was the lack of energy this weekend.
    As long as you fuel well for DCM that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd stick with whatever the plan was before this weekend so if that was 3:15 go for it!

Not sure what the plan is/was!! It started off as a 3.30 target but things move on and my half time using mcmillan is suggesting sub 3.10, which is daft. Digger was just outside 3.20 with a very similar half time to me, so realistically somewhere between 3.15/3.20??
    Sat is only the second time I done LSR PMP miles at 3.15 pace and I went and ruined the test by not planning my route:mad:. Oh well. I didn't think it was possible to run 7 miles in Dublin without passing a shop, but I did it!!
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Saturday's LSR didn't go to plan. Don't let it knock your confidence, by the looks of your log it's probably been the only blip in your DCM training. :)

Thanks. I might just have to include some PMP miles again this weekend. If I struggle again I'll know and then set a more acheivable target. If it goes okay it'll help with the confidence

Mon: 9 miles @7.30 (HR The first mile was a warmup and then churned out 8 PMP miles. Legs seem to have a bit of life in them and seems like Sat's LSR didn't do too much damage!

Tue: 9 miles back into work @ 8.36 (HR 129). first few miles were close to 9 minute miles, but felt good so pushed on and pace for the last couple of miles was closer to 8's.

Wed: 9 miles @ 8.22 (HR 134). This run was supposed to include intervals but my head wasn't in the right place and gave in during interval 1. Pathetic. I think if I'm going to improve after DCM this year I think I'll need to join a club so that at least there will be company for the tougher/faster sessions. It's just too easy to not do these, stop mid session or not try hard enough when doing these on your own. Might pay Dunboyne a visit over the next few weeks.

Thurs, Fri & Sat. Rest - Sat wasn't planned but ended up playing golf, fell asleep for the afternoon and came up with every excuse not to go out then for the rest of the day.

Sun: 16 miles @ 7.21 (HR 158) Before Barcelona in March I did a 16 mile run 2 weeks out all at 3.30 MP. That day I managed HR of 150, but then in Barcelona my HR was 168/9 for the 6 miles on marathon day running at the same pace so I eased off on the day and managed 3.38. I decided to try a similar run to either lift the confidence for a 3.15 tilt, or to tell me it's not going to happen. Thankfully it went well. I planned the route better than last week so was passing shops/garages every 3/4 miles so was taking on regular fluids. It was only after about 14 miles that I felt I was really working for the pace and even at that my HR for the last mile was 161. If I could be in similar shape on bank holiday Monday after 16 miles I'd be happy enough and I'd be in with a chance.

43 miles for the week. Minimal taper madness, but that could all change! Getting the email for the acceptance slip is making this feel like it's not far away!

Mon: 7 miles @ 7.25 pace (HR 147)
    Went out for a planned 5 mile recovery run. Was heading out towards Clontarf from work. I was just running very comfortably. Stopped at traffic lights after about half a mile and saw I was run 7.30 ish pace and said to myself there wasn't much point in doing a recovery run when the quick pace was feeling so easy. Felt good to be running this pace and not having to work too hard for it.

Tue: 5 miles @ 8.53 pace (HR 134)
    Proper recovery run at Oh-my-god-o'clock

Wed: 9 miles @ 7.36 (HR 155)
    Plan said 8 or 9 miles but to include 3 x 1 mile intervals. My luck with the weather ran out and got soaked for this one. Overall the run went well even though it was a late finish in work. Intervals were 6.28, 6.26, 6.32.

Thurs: Rest
    An eventful taper rest day. Woke up to a stiff and sore achiles.. Fup sake just my luck. I get tendonitis now and again but hadn't had it in a few months most due to me being sensible and looking after them with daily stretches etc. Normally before any run I give both achiles a stretch while the watch picks up a GPS signal. Doesn't take long but in the rain before Wed's run I didn't do the stretches as my watch picked up a signal in record time and of course with me being soft I didnt want to be standing around getting wet.
    Each time I stood up from my desk during the day I would be limping for a few steps before the achiles loosened. So cue gentle stretching, heel drops and massaging of voltarol into the offending achiles at regular panicky intervals all day. Said if it was still as bad on Fri I'd get an appointment with the physio.

Fri: Rest
    Woke up and achiles had a miraculous recovery. Not perfect but obviously the strecthes etc and resting helped. Continued with the routine but not as regularly as Thurs. Calmed down after the Thursday freak out!

Sat: 12 miles @ 8.21 (HR 143)
    Got up early after Fri night pints and achiles was pretty much like Friday so was happy enough. One big loop of the park with Belcarra and then a smaller one on my tod. Time flew by. Hr looks a bit high but might be just down to the conversation or the effort of sweating out the Heineken.
    Achiles seems ok, but will be keeping the regular daily stretching going for the next week or so

33 miles and one taper freak out for the week.

Mon: 6 miles @ 8.40 HR 136
    Tue: 7 miles @ 7.45 HR 142. Included 2 miles @ MP and these were 7.21 and 7.16. Achiles was stiff and sore again this AM but had improved enough to go out on it after work.

Just a 5/6 mile recovery run on Thursday and 3 miles @ MP on Saturday and then all the preparation is done.

Really looking forward to Monday at this stage. All the hard preparation is done, so itching to get out on Monday and see how things pan out. That said I have no doubt when I'm standing in the pen at 8.50, I'll be wondering why the hell am I doing this to myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mon: 6 miles @ 8.40 HR 136
    Tue: 7 miles @ 7.45 HR 142. Included 2 miles @ MP and these were 7.21 and 7.16. Achiles was stiff and sore again this AM but had improved enough to go out on it after work.

Just a 5/6 mile recovery run on Thursday and 3 miles @ MP on Saturday and then all the preparation is done.

Really looking forward to Monday at this stage. All the hard preparation is done, so itching to get out on Monday and see how things pan out. That said I have no doubt when I'm standing in the pen at 8.50, I'll be wondering why the hell am I doing this to myself!![/QUOTE]

And you can be sure you won't be the only one thinking this!!

• Advertisement

Best of luck on Monday, will be dying to hear how you got on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck on Monday : 3:20:48... that's all you need to take him.. no pressure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck on Monday : 3:20:48... that's all you need to take him.. no pressure ;)
    A bit of respect, please!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZjKC0EaY0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great training done tbw, hope you reap the rewards on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Good luck on Monday. Your training has been very consistent over the last few months and sounds like you are in great shape to knock another big chunk off your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck, Might see you at the start line.

Following on from my 3.38 in Barcelona, I started the 18 week programme with the goal to go sub 3.30. Training could hardly have gone better if I’m honest and with the improvements through the cycle I figured I was somewhat confident of achieving 3.20ish. McMillan was converting my race series half into sub 3.10 (nuts) so I decided, without any real belief, on something in between and to run with the 3.15 pacers in the hope of a very, very good day at the office.

Race Day
    Parked the car in work and left the building around 8.15 (rest of work colleagues were already gone as I was running late). Bumped into three buddies from home on the stroll up to the starting pens, and dutifully took a few snaps for them. Headed on in to the pen. They were targeting 3.45 so chatted to them for a bit, said hello to JB pacing the 3.30 group and then headed up closer to the 3.15 flags. Had to get out of the pen again for final toilet break, and when I got back in I was behind 3.15 guys.

Normally I get a bit panicky and nervous before the gun goes off, but I was remaining positive and relaxed and I managed to fool myself into thinking that it’s just another run.

The gun went off and the 3.15 flags were a good 100 yards up the road. First mile was a bit congested and pace was slow. I’m glad I didn’t hear the watch beep for the first mile cos it was 7.55. Anyhoo, I planned on just staying relaxed and concentrate on closing up to the pacers over the first few miles. I got to them around 3 mile marker with everything going along nicely. Took the first gel at the 3 mile marker. Felt so weird taking one so early but the gel strategy was first at 3 miles, then 9, then 15 and then last one at 21, so that I was taking them at advertised water stations.
    While I felt fine going up through Chesterfield I checked my HR just to see what it was showing to make sure I wasn’t over extending. High 150’s, so I was happy with that. Only thing was bothering me was the crowd around the pacers, so I said once we turned off Chesterfield and away from the notorious headwind, I’d move on ahead and pace myself. At this point there was a lady from Finbarr’s AC and a guy from Yougal AC about a hundred yards ahead of me. I pretty much stalked followed these for the next 10/12 miles, sometimes getting close to them and sometimes falling back.
    My pace for the next 10 or so miles was on average 10 seconds a mile quicker than 3.15 pace. Faster than I planned at the start, but I felt ok and checked the HR in around Crumlin too and it was low 160’s so about where it should be.
    Half way in 1.36.08, and I was 1.20 ahead of the pace band guide for a 3.15 full. I just thought I had a nice buffer for when things got tough later.
    I thought I had eased off a bit around Crumlin along the long drag, but looking at my Garmin afterwards, I was still motoring along! I don’t really know the leafy parts of south Dublin that the route goes through so I just kept chasing my Cork pacers, not OCD’ing with watching the Garmin nor noticing mile markers (music and headphones had me completely relaxed). I was expecting the final hill around Fosters Ave to be around every corner as I was dreading it (it gutted me on my three previous DCM’s!) but when I did finally get to the bottom of it, I was so in the zone, looked at it with no fear and bombed passed the Cork duo on the way up! I knew there was a nice downhill after it and then the turn onto the N11 and facing towards home.
    I checked the pace band again somewhere around here, got some lofty ambitions, and then lost them very quickly when I knew I was doing well to hold the pace. The finabrr’s runner went past me again coming in the N11 but I went past her again after the UCD flyover and didn’t see her again. Just kept plugging away and counting the miles to go down. 5 to go, 4 to go, 3 to go. The 24 mile marker was probably the first mile marker of the day I was looking for and I was looking for it from a good distance before it.
    I wasn’t able to do any maths at this stage to figure what two more 7.30 paced miles and the final 0.2mile would get me. It was just one leg after another and trying to hold the pace. The little rise over the canal took a lot of determination gritted teeth, but I have to say the crowds and support all along here to the finish were awesome. I don’t remember it being like that before.
    My work colleague, who I expected to have been miles ahead, passed me at the gates of Trinity. He was finishing like a train, and tried to get me to go with him. I tried but the legs said no. I was just hanging at this point. That said I dug deep to speed up on the mat for the last 100 yards and as it turns out the final 0.2 miles was covered at 6.50 pace!!

Crossed the line in 3.11.53. Couldn’t believe it.

Congratulatory hug with my work mate after the line. He was on cloud nine (with his time not with the hug:D)He asked how I felt. To which I replied I feel like getting sick!! Thankfully I didn’t! I didn’t have the energy to be delighted at this stage!

I went back down to about the 25 mile marker afterwards and saw Aimman, the 3.45 pacers and my buddies from home go through. Started shivering then, so head off for a shower.
    Nice to catch up with some boardsies in McGrattans later then, but with work on Tue didn’t stay late.

To be honest everything just went perfect on the day and I really didn’t expect or hope for that time in advance.

Stats
    First half 1.36.08, second half was 1.35.44 for a tiny negative split. (My second and third fastest half marathon times)

First 10k pace 7.23
    10k to half way 7.18
    Half way to 20m 7.17
    20m to finish 7.21

Overall pace 7.20 and HR of 164

Stats
    First half 1.36.08, second half was 1.35.44 for a tiny negative split. (My second and third fastest half marathon times)

First 10k pace 7.23
    10k to half way 7.18
    Half way to 20m 7.17
    20m to finish 7.21

Overall pace 7.20 and HR of 164

Now that's the way to run a marathon!!
    Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Savage stuff Monday, i've a feeling you'll be the one pulling away from me on the S bends next time we run together :D

Savage stuff Monday, i've a feeling you'll be the one pulling away from me on the S bends next time we run together :D

I'd say there's a few more of us he won't be running with either! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Well done TBW, you deserved that time from the training that you put in, and it sounds like you paced it perfectly.

Somehow I reckon you'll always be able to kick my ass. Hows the recovery going?

I'd say there's a few more of us he won't be running with either! ;)

Not so sure about that. in any event you have a real boy wonder to go running with! Just let him win now and again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Wow! Super running. I think you have to change the name of this log to the quest for sub 3! :D

beeduybe wrote: »
    Wow! Super running. I think you have to change the name of this log to the quest for sub 3! :D

Perfect idea Beeduybe...Return to Barca for the sub 3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Somehow I reckon you'll always be able to kick my ass. Hows the recovery going?

2012 is out for me running wise, hoping 2013 is kinder to me :)

First week after the marathon was pretty uneventful and I was just happy enough doing nothing. Got out for the first run on the Saturday after DCM for 6.7 miles @ 8.10

Then back on the horse so to speak last week
    9 miles on Monday @ 8.03
    9 miles on Tuesday @ 8.14

Rest of the week was a write off as I wasn't getting out of work at midnight and later and that went on into the weekend. We usually get one week a year in work like this, and it happened to clash with me trying to take some time off.

So take 2, on getting back into it
    Mon 6.7 miles @ 7.24 - Initially intended on taking it handy before throwing in some MP miles. Ended up just doing MP the whole way around. Achiles was in a bad way after it.

The plan for the rest of the year is to pace the NYC marathon in Dublin next weekend. Then the Donore/Jingle Bells 5k where I'll try a break 20 mins for the first time. Only 6 seconds to improve from my last go at it in July, so pretty confident I've improved enough since then. After that it's the aware 10k. Not sure what the goal is there, but I'll figure it out. Depending on how Jingle Bells goes, I might do the Clonliffe 5k the weekend after.
    And possibly do the west of Ireland marathon over the Christmas break as a LSR to burn off the Christmas excess

Next year's spring marathon will be in Hamburg on the same weekend as London. It looks like a flat track, and hopefully I can go sub 3.10 and get a Boston qualifier for 2014. then later in the year I'm hoping to do Chicago, but that doesn't open until Feb so I'll just have to be at the ready when it does. I suppose I'd be hoping to get times down to be able to attempt a sub 3 by that stage. I'll figure out the targets for the shorter stuff at some point, but a lot will depend being healthy and injury free. I was quite lucky in that regard this year, so please God that will continue

And I'm working on a new log title!

A fair bit of overlap with me in your plans there Stephen...I'll be aiming for sub 20 in Jingle Bells also but I think you'll be much closer to 19mins than 20! Also, don't forget about ParkRun for the next few weeks to help get you going with the faster stuff!
    I'm also debating doing either the WOI marathon on the 29th or else a duathlon in Claremorris the same day.

Definitely planning to do Chicago with DukeofDromada next year as he is based in the US so another excuse to visit (Did Philly with him last Nov). He should be in sub-3 territory by then so could be a good pacer for you! I have no idea what I'd be going for by then but hopefully sub 3:10 would be the aim at least. Plenty of time to work that one out yet though!!

So, that leaves Hamburg...Must look that up as I need a target marathon for Spring but I'm hoping to do both Connemara and Kildare so might be tight for time!
    (and that's not to mention Donadea, Tralee and a 42 mile race in London in January...!)

No resting around on this log, that's an action packed few months ahead. I'm sure DCM will have you brimming with confidence for all these races. I don't think we'll be happy now with a sub 20 5k anymore! ;)

I thought I was rubbish with outdated log titles.....:rolleyes:

belcarra wrote: »
    A fair bit of overlap with me in your plans there Stephen...I'll be aiming for sub 20 in Jingle Bells also but I think you'll be much closer to 19mins than 20! Also, don't forget about ParkRun for the next few weeks to help get you going with the faster stuff!
    I'm also debating doing either the WOI marathon on the 29th or else a duathlon in Claremorris the same day.

Definitely planning to do Chicago with DukeofDromada next year as he is based in the US so another excuse to visit (Did Philly with him last Nov). He should be in sub-3 territory by then so could be a good pacer for you! I have no idea what I'd be going for by then but hopefully sub 3:10 would be the aim at least. Plenty of time to work that one out yet though!!

So, that leaves Hamburg...Must look that up as I need a target marathon for Spring but I'm hoping to do both Connemara and Kildare so might be tight for time!
    (and that's not to mention Donadea, Tralee and a 42 mile race in London in January...!)

There's quite a bit of overlap, but you'll definitely be on your own on the ultra stuff. I did pencil in Tralee as a training run, but will decide on that one closer to the time.
    Hamburg is two weeks after Conn, so there wouldn't be much recovery time. But with Tralee, Conn and Kildare there's hardly time for much more there!

No resting around on this log, that's an action packed few months ahead. I'm sure DCM will have you brimming with confidence for all these races. I don't think we'll be happy now with a sub 20 5k anymore! ;)

I thought I was rubbish with outdated log titles.....:rolleyes:

Look who's putting the pressure on now!!:rolleyes:

McMillan says 19.42 off my DCM time, and it gives 19.22 for my half in Sept, so I think I'll be hoping maybe 19.30... but thats sub 20, so everyone will be happy!! :)

Wed: 4.2 miles @ 8.10
    thurs: 9.5 miles @ 7.52 - HR looks a bit mad (avg158), so either I've lost fitness very quickly or something else going on?

• Advertisement

Fri: 7 miles @ 8.07 (HR 152)
    Sat: 3.9 miles @ 9.02 (HR 135) This was basically a few short miles at the pace for tomorrow's 4 hour pacing. A little too quick, but I was getting closer and finding it easier to maintain as the miles went by

Advertisement