Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

/voiceover

Another joke

Imagine a voice over?

*shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The DVD music used is never the same as that used in the show, fact. It's to do with copyright & royalty charges.

As a musician studying commercial music in college this aspect of the music business has always pissed me off.
    Royalties in this scenario should be a percentage of the profit of the DVD sales - after all, if the show isn't making a decent profit then not many people are hearing your music.

That way the artist is guaranteed some exposure (what artist in their right mind says no to being played internationally on a show they already agreed to being played nationally?) and because the royalty is based on profit, it's never "more expensive" to show something to a bigger audience.

In the age of the internet and rampant piracy, attempting to limit content by geographic area for whatever reason is one of the most idiotically doomed-to-failure policies the music industry pursues. Hell, in this case alone, this has just given those willing to do so, an actual incentive to pirate the show from the RTE Player rips instead of buying the DVDs. RTE loses, the music publishers lose, the artists lose.

If anyone can explain why the music industry refuses to move on from the 1980s (except, of course, where the quality of music is concerned ;) heh) I'd love to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Can any the mods please make this a Wayne free zone?
    my head is going to explode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

EyeSight wrote: »

But that's the music listings for the show as broadcast on RTE 1.

The thing is that they don't use all that music on the DVDs as they can't afford the rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As a musician studying commercial music in college this aspect of the music business has always pissed me off.
    Royalties in this scenario should be a percentage of the profit of the DVD sales - after all, if the show isn't making a decent profit then not many people are hearing your music.

Unfortunately production companies and film studios are adept at creative accounting so if that was the setup they'd just push the profit down so the artists would get nothing.

Also if nobody had to sign off on rights then your music could be used on any auld sh*te and you'd never have a say in it. (Of course this is the case with blanket agreements on RTE and BBC at the moment!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

It might have been mentioned already, but has anyone noticed the emphasis on cigarette smoking in l/h, there must be some tobacco sponsorship there i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

lufties wrote: »
    It might have been mentioned already, but has anyone noticed the emphasis on cigarette smoking in l/h, there must be some tobacco sponsorship there i would think.

Eh, please say you forgot to add the rolleyes to your post?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We have an icon for hand-made cigarettes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

yep

Drinks companies too

plus Glock obviously through them a few quid too

come to think of it

tyfsmodsquad.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,021 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1459933_562579780483844_1007101000_n.jpg

Are ye all buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Riskymove wrote: »
    yep

Drinks companies too

plus Glock obviously through them a few quid too

come to think of it

tyfsmodsquad.jpeg

Bord Bainne must have been thrilled with the product placement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

saw nidge's lawyer in tescos tonight, he had some fishfingers and Weetabix in his basket

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Unfortunately production companies and film studios are adept at creative accounting so if that was the setup they'd just push the profit down so the artists would get nothing.

This is a fair point, although could it not be argued that they could already be doing this at home, regardless of international sales?
    Also if nobody had to sign off on rights then your music could be used on any auld sh*te and you'd never have a say in it. (Of course this is the case with blanket agreements on RTE and BBC at the moment!)

Again, this is why I said "for shows one has already agreed to music being used domestically in".
    It just seems to me that we're living in an age in which information has no borders, and whether legitimately or not, information will evade borders. So bearing that in mind, any form of geographic restriction only increases piracy and causes everyone involved to lose money.

The film Super 8 a couple of years ago is a good example. Massive hype, loads of marketing, US release date in early June, EU release date in early August. What happened? Everyone pirated the US version as soon as it came out. Most people I know knew the ending weeks before it was released in Irish cinemas as a result.

I get that there are problems to be overcome, sure - there always are. But it seems to me that trying to impose geographic boundaries on digital content in the age of the internet is downright impossible, and by far the greater of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I only recently started watching Love/Hate and I am on series 3 at the moment. I just watched episode 4 and there is a bit of a story between Tommy and Georgina (the guy in the IRA's wife). I can't seem to remember them getting together... Have I missed an episode somewhere or did they not show them getting together?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OguchiOneywu

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I only recently started watching Love/Hate and I am on series 3 at the moment. I just watched episode 4 and there is a bit of a story between Tommy and Georgina (the guy in the IRA's wife). I can't seem to remember them getting together... Have I missed an episode somewhere or did they not show them getting together?

They get together in episode 3 after the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looking at it the first time, I'd have said Guinea did it himself or else he was working for the traveller.

Looking at it the second time, I'd have to say it was Nidge set him up.

Seriously ? The posts I was making were in jest due to people not understanding what actually happened, I was taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Seriously ? The posts I was making were in jest due to people not understanding what actually happened, I was taking the piss.

After I watched it for the fifth time I realised it was Nidge. The slippery two faced git.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

After I watched it for the fifth time I realised it was Nidge. The slippery two faced git.

I thought Git was dead? :eek:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

I thought Git was dead? :eek:

another example of "lazy writing" from Carolan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Jesus. don't think there was as much discussion over the Kennedy assasination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Peter O'meara tweeted earlier(hes the dentist)
    'Since so many find it impossible Andrew fitted into the suitcase.Actually folks-I did! #bodywork '

That might shut a few up.

And for the plastic bag critics-'Fran covering Andrews mouth sends him unconscious.Delirium prevents his pulling the bag off.#watchclosely'

I find it a bit sad that the actuall actors are having to explain these types of things out in the open and some people cant actually use their own imagination. Does everything have to be spelt out for some.
    F**k me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

ThisRegard wrote: »

I say fair play to builder plumber for being patient with ur blatant dumbness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Was there much point to Fran's fights with the auld fella, or was it just a device for him to lose his teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Was there much point to Fran's fights with the auld fella, or was it just a device for him to lose his teeth?

:D I thought so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Another strand dropped, you'll just have to wait it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

While i'm at it. Didn't Darren rustle up a pipebomb pretty fast to throw at the Ra? Why didn't Nidge avail of his skills in earlier seasons? Would've saved him some bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

in all fairness, rte should get their arse in gear and get a new series out after 6 months..this year wait is a pain in the hole, especially when carolan stated that series 5 is gonna be a continuation of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I'd say Noelie will play a big role in series 5 especially if there is a Nidge v Fran situation.

No sponsorship of any specific company in fairness but i suppose its keeping true to the type of character that most of them like fag every now and then. That Rosie wasnt the perfect mother material she thought she was either. She smoked AND drank during her pregnancy. "100 brush strokes for princess" me b0llocks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd say Noelie will play a big role in series 5 especially if there is a Nidge v Fran situation.

He should be used even if it is briefly but i think he might have been a vehicle merely to prove that Fran is quite good at making enemies and not as under the radar as we thought and the grave digging with Deano and Carlo was another vehicle in showing their growing disillusionment with Fran.

Advertisement