Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She's too skinny...

Options
  • 31-01-2013 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I hear this being thrown around a lot by people. Usually by women who consider themselves curvy. Of course everyone has a preference and that's fair enough but in my opinion it's insulting to say it. I mean, if I said to a 'curvy' woman that they were too fat I'd have strips torn off me.

In America it seems that chunky women are now branded as thick, and they're proud of it as they throw out the old "more cushion for the pushin" line. Which I hate actually... The whole "this is what a real woman looks like" crap pisses me off!

Am I the only one who thinks it's offensive to call someone too skinny when they're not when they're clearly not anorexic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

It really annoys me when people say "real women have curves". I am a size eight, I weigh less than eight stone, I have a small chest and hips, but it's the way I am built and I can't help it. I eat well but I never seem to gain weight, ever. Does that mean I am not a "real" woman?

And to be honest, and I hope I don't offend anybody here, but I think the term "curvy" is thrown around nowadays to describe people who are slightly overweight. To me, curvy describes an hourglass figure like Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

And to be honest, and I hope I don't offend anybody here, but I think the term "curvy" is thrown around nowadays to describe people who are slightly overweight. To me, curvy describes an hourglass figure like Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russell!

+1 for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is a certain range of female sizes that most people will feel is aesthetically attractive. It's a pretty wide range to be honest, and it varies based on the beholder.

But it is true that there are some people who fall outside it. It can be painful to look at a person (not just a woman) who is very thin. You can see the bones through the skin and they look so fragile (and not in a delicate way). Likewise, it's also not pleasant to look on someone who is obese.

But please don't turn this into a bitching thread. That is not constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OrphanGroomer

I find the fat ladies of Facebook are the worst for this. Post constant streams of "Like if this is what a real woman looks like" crap.

Go for a run and maybe don't have that roll for lunch. Guaranteed that if these women lost the excess weight they'd be preaching about how great it is to be in shape etc.

It's making the best of whatever situation they find themselves in so that they don't have to face facts and do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is a difference between slim and skinny, I have a few slim friends, they are tiny but they look well, they are in proportion and they don't have to starve themselves or do hours of exercise to maintain it. When someone is living off a very strict diet to maintain what they think is an ideal body its a problem.

People who are overweight - speaking from personal experience here - are subjected to plenty of comments so we are not immune either. I'm trying to get myself fit and healthy, its going to take time though and I think its important to accept yourself as you are while you are changing hence I embrace my current ample body shape but at the same time I welcome and reduction. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I find the fat ladies of Facebook are the worst for this. Post constant streams of "Like if this is what a real woman looks like" crap.

Go for a run and maybe don't have that roll for lunch. Guaranteed that if these women lost the excess weight they'd be preaching about how great it is to be in shape etc.

It's making the best of whatever situation they find themselves in so that they don't have to face facts and do something about it.

Complain about body snark and then dish out some yourself. Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yes, it bothers me that women's bodies are unrelentingly scrutinised, and apparently everyone has a God-given right to give their 2c about whether someone is too skinny, too fat or 'just right' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

if you read any celebrity magazine everyone is either too skinny or overweight. Gain a pound your overweight, lose a pound your starving yourself its funny really.

Im small myself and like zeigfried girl im sick to death of hearing that 'real women have curves' or that 'anyone who is a size eight must be starving themselves' I certainly don't starve myself but I do a lot of excercise so I am very fit and would have muscle more so than fat on me so I probably weigh a lot more than people would think. anyway I don;t think anyone has the right to tell anyone else that they are not a real woman or to accuse them of nto eating right.

If you want to be happy with your own body thats a great thing but it should not mean throwing insults about other women. If you are a BBW good for you but there is no need to suggest smaller women are less attractive likewise if you are happy to be slim thats great but why comment negatively on others who might not be

The one thing that does disturb me though is the media trend of describing people who are obese as curvy or voluptuos Its politically correct but when someone is at the weight where they are risking their health putting nice words on it is not quite right. There also tends to be articles in teh media declaring celebrities to be a size they simply are not. There was one the other day showing Claire Richards from steps advertising a plus size fashion line but saying she is a size 16 - now its obvious from the photos that she is simply not she must at least be a 20. Likewise lauren Godger and her instance at being a size ten which she quite clearly is not. This kind of thing only encourages body dysmorphia in readers I think as it gives you a skewed idea of what size people are - not that its healthy to be obsessed with a clothes size anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mehhh. I'm sick to death of this whole "weight" thing.

If someone tells me I'm "too skinny" I just say grand, whatever. What is too skinny/too fat? I don't know. I was out last night and all my friends were talking about was diet this exercise that. People who aren't on diets are usually the healthiest :confused:

It used to annoy me that it's socially acceptable to call some "too skinny" or tell them they should put on weight, but if you tell someone they need to lose weight or are "too fat" WOAHH! I don't really care anymore though. If someone is underweight/overweight it's up to themselves to sort it out if they want.

Actually a friend of mine on facebook put a picture up there a while back that compared "skinny" women and actresses from back in the day that had loads of curves. They basically all had big breasts and curves and all that. Stating they are "real women" :rolleyes: Everyone replied wit stuff like "zomg they're gorge f*ck the skinny b*itchs!" :/ I just replied saying what if someone naturally has a skinny body without curves, some people are just born with that. Cue about 20 girls giving me abuse..sure there ya go!

'Make the most of your curves. I'm all about the curves': Claire Richards reveals she finally feels comfortable with her size 16 shape

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2270336/Claire-Richards-reveals-finally-feels-comfortable-size-16-shape.html#ixzz2JYVPCO1C

First of all I know the daily mail - not the best site to be getting links off but the title and article caught my eye.

First of all she's not curvy - she's overweight.
    She may be happy and confident in herself but she will be happy in the long run when she suffering bad health issues?

Point I am making is sometimes it's not just about appearance or how one looks but it's about general health.

That applies to over weight, under weight, average weight!
    You might look and feel fine and might or might not care what people opinions are on you but are you healthy on the inside or walking yourself into an early grave..

Screw size and weight - it's all about being healthy :D

PS. There is no way she is a size 16 :eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 OrphanGroomer

Complain about body snark and then dish out some yourself. Charming.

Fish for thanks. Charming.

White knight to the rescue!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Lia_lia wrote: »
    It used to annoy me that it's socially acceptable to call some "too skinny" or tell them they should put on weight, but if you tell someone they need to lose weight or are "too fat" WOAHH!

That's what made me start the thread. It still seems to be the way things are and it seems to be mostly overweight or slightly chunky people who say it.

You can take 2 girls the same size, both with say protruding hip bones and if one has a six pack she's considered athletic but the other is considered too skinny. It doesn't make sense but it seems to be acceptable to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I agree with most of you on here. I'm overweight ( working on it) and to be honest it sickens me that the term BBW even exists to me its akin to the pro ana movement. I've had my fair share of nasty thoughtless comments about my weight and to some degree I'm jealous of naturally thin women but Id never make a nasty comment about someone being too skinny. If they are naturally skinny then the comment will serve no purpose other than hurt but if they do have a problem is a nasty comment on facebook really going to help them?

Real women have curves but they also have 32a boobs and size 8 waists and some have long legs and some are bald. My point is every woman is a real women. Pitting your body type against someone else's is no better than school yard bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Fish for thanks. Charming.

White knight to the rescue!!!!!
    "Fish for thanks"? Are you a mindreader?

Actually it's a valid point - she is not being a "white knight".

This issue is a bit more complex. For sure there are times when "She's too skinny" is just jealousy, but otherwise it can be a genuine opinion. E.g. Kiera Knightley. I think she's stunning looking but emaciated. She just is. I'm not saying that to insult her. It doesn't mean I think therefore that overweight is good and "real women have curves" (i.e. are fat). The "Real women have curves/nobody wants a stick insect" "movement" or whatever is laughable. It's so jealous and completely legitimises bitchiness (putting down skinny = ok; putting down fat though = not ok). But I'm not sure it's as popular as Facebook statuses, those crappy magazines, Loose Women claim. Plenty of people see that nonsense for what it is. Remember too, that comments about thinness, while not justifiable at all, tend to come from a place of envy rather than a feeling of superiority.

Fat people get awful abuse too. I know there is the perception that it needs to be tiptoed around, but there are also testimonies from people who are even a size 14 getting abused in public. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

To me, curvy describes an hourglass figure like Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russell!

In fairness, by today's standards, both of those would be classed overweight at the least. Monroe was a size 16.

I think they're probably two of the sexiest bodies ever graced this earth, but I'm just saying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Let's keep bitchiness out of this thread please. It goes no where and is not conducive to discussion. Report a post if you have a problem with it. This will be the only warning in this thread.

Orphan Groomer, Madame X, let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Mehhh. I'm sick to death of this whole "weight" thing.

If someone tells me I'm "too skinny" I just say grand, whatever. What is too skinny/too fat? I don't know. I was out last night and all my friends were talking about was diet this exercise that. People who aren't on diets are usually the healthiest :confused:

It used to annoy me that it's socially acceptable to call some "too skinny" or tell them they should put on weight, but if you tell someone they need to lose weight or are "too fat" WOAHH! I don't really care anymore though. If someone is underweight/overweight it's up to themselves to sort it out if they want.

Actually a friend of mine on facebook put a picture up there a while back that compared "skinny" women and actresses from back in the day that had loads of curves. They basically all had big breasts and curves and all that. Stating they are "real women" :rolleyes: Everyone replied wit stuff like "zomg they're gorge f*ck the skinny b*itchs!" :/ I just replied saying what if someone naturally has a skinny body without curves, some people are just born with that. Cue about 20 girls giving me abuse..sure there ya go!

I agree. It's also really annoying that these mags feel they have some authority to line up ten women on a page and score their dresses out of ten. As if the journalist wannabes responsible for these "articles" hiding behind the cappucino machines in their penneys shoes would ever come close to owning even the 1/10 dress :mad: (sorry,pmt day, i actually love penneys :o)

smash wrote: »
    That's what made me start the thread. It still seems to be the way things are and it seems to be mostly overweight or slightly chunky people who say it.

You can take 2 girls the same size, both with say protruding hip bones and if one has a six pack she's considered athletic but the other is considered too skinny. It doesn't make sense but it seems to be acceptable to say it.

But isn't that just reality - It's like everything.. It's not just weight or how they are built.
    people tend to judge and opinionate a person on anything and everything that doesn't make sense or that seems unacceptable to say about another perosn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I agree. It's also really annoying that these mags feel they have some authority to line up ten women on a page and score their dresses out of ten. As if the journalist wannabes hiding behind the cappucino machines in their penneys shoes would ever come close to owning even the 1/10 dress :mad: (sorry,pmt day, i actually love penneys :o)

Well commenting on dresses is surely acceptable...we are in F&A after all! :)

I do have a genetic propensity to be thin and I like the way my body is naturally. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, so people often comment that I'm "afraid" to eat desserts, etc, when the truth is I mostly just don't really enjoy them. But in addition to a fairly healthy diet and lifestyle I'm just naturally fidgety and I'm always moving so that must be burning calories all the time :pac: I run up and down stairs, apparently have run everywhere since I was a child. So it really bothers me when I'm told I'm "starving myself" to look the way I do.

It's not fair to comment on anyone's weight, it's a very sensitive subject and can hurt way more than you think. Unless it's a frank, heart to heart or something!

I was skinny in secondary school, but I was fit, ate well and did ballet three days a week, as well as just being a regular active 16 year old. Being skinny didn't come outta nothing :p I worked at it!! One time a girl commented on my body in the changing room after PE, just something like wow you're sooo skinny. It did upset me! I wasn't sure why she felt the need to tell me, or if she thought I was starving myself or something, which I definitely wasn't!

As regards the BBW movement (is it a movement?!) and the pro-ana, at the end of the day health is the biggest issue. Being comfortable in your skin is exceptionally important, but we can't ignore the dangers of being over or under weight.

• Advertisement

Monroe was a size 16.

I think they're probably two of the sexiest bodies ever graced this earth, but I'm just saying.

:pac::pac::pac::pac: C'mon she was not a size 16.

I'd say a 12 and that's puching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    'Make the most of your curves. I'm all about the curves': Claire Richards reveals she finally feels comfortable with her size 16 shape

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2270336/Claire-Richards-reveals-finally-feels-comfortable-size-16-shape.html#ixzz2JYVPCO1C

First of all I know the daily mail - not the best site to be getting links off but the title and article caught my eye.

First of all she's not curvy - she's overweight.
    She may be happy and confident in herself but she will be happy in the long run when she suffering bad health issues?

Point I am making is sometimes it's not just about appearance or how one looks but it's about general health.

That applies to over weight, under weight, average weight!
    You might look and feel fine and might or might not care what people opinions are on you but are you healthy on the inside or walking yourself into an early grave..

Screw size and weight - it's all about being healthy :D

PS. There is no way she is a size 16 :eek::confused:

Thats an awful sarky remark to make, thin people suffer health probelsm too, thats the problem with people - that have to be very pass remarkable!

so what if she is or is not a size 16 - is it not her problem and no one else's?

I understand that being obese carries health concerns - but its not for the fat police to tell people, what about the ugly police, the food police, the exercise police, shur it can go on and on and on................

assumptions about what people eat also? yeah sure every fat woman out there is sitting at her desk eating rolls! jeez louise.... stereotypw why doncha

Twee. wrote: »
    at the end of the day health is the biggest issue.

But because someone is slim why should someone who's overweight get away with branding them as too skinny? Which also implies they are unhealthy. But god forbid you tell them they're too fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

No way Marilyn Monroe was a size 10. No way at all.

Anyone I know who's a size 10 looks as much like Marilyn Monroe (body wise) as I do- and frankly, I haven't been a size 10 since I was about 10 years old, I'd say!!!

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    so what if she is or is not a size 16 - is it not her problem and no one else's?

I understand that being obese carries health concerns - but its not for the fat police to tell people, what about the ugly police, the food police, the exercise police, shur it can go on and on and on................

Just as a matter of interest, can I get your opinion on this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTg6Rzfk9U

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There are ways of telling someone their weight is a problem, if you are really concerned about someone you can address it with them in a sensitive manner, saying "wow you're fat" or the eqivalent to an underweight person isn't going to make them receptive to what you have to say. Some people think because they are addressing what is ultimately a health issue that they have a free pass to say what they like.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Camera can add lbs. I think it's very plausible for her to have been a curvy size 10. Depending on build, it's not that tiny a size. It's slim sure, but not skinny. When I was a size 10 (late teens) I still had boobs and a curvy arse.
    All you have to do is look at her playboy photos to see she wasn't a 16, nowhere near it. She didn't have huge boobs either, and those photos were taken before mass amounts of photoshopping could be added to photos.

Article on Jezebel about Miss Monroe's measurements! They have her as:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

And talk a little about US and UK sizes http://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-last-time-what-size-was-marilyn-monroe

Not sure how accurate any of that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Have to say I am one of those people who have an extremely fast metabolism. I have been the same weight for 10 years now. Cant put on weight and thankfully cant lose it either, and I have been given so much stick over the years mostly from women and I'm sick of it! Everyday there is a smart comment or unwanted opinion about how there must be something "wrong" with me just because I'm thin and tall!

I have zero confidence over it and it p*sses me off putting up with it for so long now. It's gas because women say to me "you're so skinny" giving me dirty looks etc.. but they wouldnt even DREAM of walking up to someone overweight and telling them they're fat??

I just dont get it, and wish everyone would stop making big deal out of appearance.. many more important things out there to be worrying about!!

• Advertisement

I think the reason people are harsher on people who look unhealthily thin versus people who look unhealthily heavy is proportions.

Let's say for argument's sake that size 8 is an average healthy size for a woman of average height. If this hypothetical size 8 woman gains two sizes, she'll be a size 12 and won't look unhealthy. If she drops two sizes, she'll be a size 4, which could look extremely unhealthy. So a small change in weight can look a lot worse when it's a loss rather than when it's a gain.

Add to that the tendency in western culture for people to want to be thinner, and the jealousy that that might generate subconsciously, and it's easy to see why people can be very unforgiving to "skinny girls".

Advertisement