Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Think people are losing the run of themselves here. When you look at the specs, this phone looks better than anything else out there.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 805
    Adreno 420
    3 GB RAM
    3,200 mAh battery
    13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, optical image stabilization, LED flash
    1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.2 inches (~565 ppi pixel density)

Those specs exceed that of the LG G3, SGS5, HTC One, so at least you are getting a truly top of the range phone unlike the previous phone which was kind of crippled by the battery/camera.

im sorry but the nexus 5 was also top of the line when it released, a bigger battery and fairly standard camera arnt going to notch the price up that much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

im sorry but the nexus 5 was also top of the line when it released, a bigger battery and fairly standard camera arnt going to notch the price up that much

I reckon the bigger screen has something to do with it too. At that price point though, they'll find it hard to compete with the Note 4, in Ireland anyway. I have the Note 3 at the moment and I see no reason to switch to the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 when it's time for my upgrade. The main attraction of the Nexus line (for me) was the possibility of buying a great piece of hardware affordably off contract. €569 isn't affordable off contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

The big question is going to be, does it bend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dorgasm wrote: »
    I reckon the bigger screen has something to do with it too. At that price point though, they'll find it hard to compete with the Note 4, in Ireland anyway. I have the Note 3 at the moment and I see no reason to switch to the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 when it's time for my upgrade. The main attraction of the Nexus line (for me) was the possibility of buying a great piece of hardware affordably off contract. €569 isn't affordable off contract.

yeah if it is €569 id be more inclined to go with the note 4 tbh, although in my case il be looking at a oneplus one or some chinese android as i cant afford much above 400 :(

yeah if it is €569 id be more inclined to go with the note 4 tbh, although in my case il be looking at a oneplus one or some chinese android as i cant afford much above 400 :(

The Oneplus One looks solid if that's your price range. Haven't seen prices yet but the Z3 Compact might be around that price too and it looks pretty good albeit maybe a bit small. Wonder if the Z3 range will get the Lollipop update out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I reckon Google leaked the German pricing to see how we'd all react to it :D

Anyway, I reckon it could be a 6pm announcement if it does happen today!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

dorgasm wrote: »
    The Oneplus One looks solid if that's your price range. Haven't seen prices yet but the Z3 Compact might be around that price too and it looks pretty good albeit maybe a bit small. Wonder if the Z3 range will get the Lollipop update out of the box.

They're already on sale and had 4.4.4 out of the box.

Those prices are a bit on the high side. I'd be slow to pick one up, the attraction was always the price. Specs relative to competitors are most definitely better than the nexus 4 or 5 which were never quite there. Excellent phones but rubbish battery life and cameras.

They're already on sale and had 4.4.4 out of the box.

Surely they'll get the new update quickly. Would be a huge loss for them if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't think Sony have said when they'll update it, but I'd imagine it'll take a few months for it.

HTC actually made a pretty good infographic on how it works about a year or so ago that explains it. http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates/

HTC did say they'll have it ready within 90 days of the release, and then it's on the various networks to release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm using the Auto Refresh Plus plug-in on https://play.google.com/store/devices. Hits F5 for you and notifies you if there are any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I've the Chromecast with the Nexus 7 ready!

Google, I'm waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Contrary to some of the posts here, Nexus devices have never been top of the range from a hardware/specs standpoint at the time of their launch - it's the pure Android experience and timely updates that make them attractive. For example, the screens on N4 and N5 don't match up to any contemporary flagships from HTC, Samsung, LG etc. The N4 didn't accommodate LTE, the N5's battery and speaker were crap. I say all this as a long time Nexus fanboy.

I suspect anyone who expects a top end Nexus smartphone in terms of hardware/specs to be similarly priced to previous iterations is in for a bit of a shock. I still don't understand how OnePlus have done it.

What would you say is the best 9-10" tablet right now? Samsung Tab S 10.5?

The hardware sounds pretty impressive to me. Coupled with the better value you generally get it makes it exciting enough for me to grab some popcorn and watch. If it comes with a sd slot I'm probably sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

THEY'RE HERE!!!

Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and a media player.

With Android 5.0 Lollipop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

So how long do I have to wait for the nexus 5 price to drop now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

cant find the full specs for nexus 9. sd card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

So the nexus 6 will be available to pre-order in late october. Have to say it looks better than I thought it might. If the price isn't too steep I'd consider getting one even if the screen is 5.96"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't think they have SD card slots, just 16GB(9), 32GB(both) and 64GB(6) versions out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

"Get up to 6 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging!" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Very few details on the N9. Not even a screen resolution, just that it's 8.9"

No manufacturer either, though it was rumoured to be HTC

They kept the player quiet. Asus? I didnt read a single rumour about that at all!

edit:These devices are highly unlikely to have microSD card slots. Google hasnt had one in nexus device since the Galaxy Nexus, and android support for microSD cards is woeful.

Disappointed that there is no sd card. Damned rumour mill got my hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That looks really sweet I have to say. For those complaining about the price (it won't be cheap), you really do have to remember that this is truly a top of the range phone.

The camera has been bumped up to 13MP and more importantly the aperture is f2.0 (Note 4 and the iPhone 6 have an inferior lens at f2.2). Also the battery is 1.5x as big as older Nexus 5 battery, so that is a decent improvement.

:confused:

2048x1536

It is HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Nimr wrote: »

2048x1536

It is HTC.

I was looking here http://www.google.com.au/nexus/9/

only mention of HTC is the boomsound speakers. No resolution given.

though 2048x1536 seems weird, an odd resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Resolution is on that page you linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You can see the htc logo on the picture of it

http://www.google.com/nexus/

Android: And you: http://youtu.be/TRmgMe2STL0

That is seriously my favourite video right now, it's so happy.

I love at the end where it goes through the manufacturer names... And moto and sony and lg etc etc.

And their slogan.

be together. not the same.

• Advertisement

The resolution is in the specs part of that page. You have to click to expand it and get the full specs.
    It has a lot of details there..and crucially, it doesn't say anything about SD support.

True, I can't find any mention of HTC on that page but it's definitely mentioned in the blog and some pictures.

Advertisement