Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throwers and throws coaching

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

EdMoses wrote: »
    I have gotten involved in helping out with some coaching for a girls primary school who will be participating in the Dublin primary schools championships in June. In a previous life I had a background in hurdling so this was why I was drafted in. I've also tried to cover some of the other technical events with the girls using my limited knowledge of same. My question is this. One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60. Compared to all of the other kids she was miles ahead. It was just a tryout so we haven't had an opportunity to do any work on technique etc yet. Just wondering does this show potential of some sort? It looked pretty good to me. She's a very clever kid and I think would respond well to being coached. Would it be worth my time getting someone from a local club to give her a few tips or is it something I might be able to do myself? Many thanks.

I say this is a very good idea. Having some extra attention from a coach will give her a great boost confidence wise not to mention the tips they can offer both the athlete and also tips for you to coach her in the furture regarding drills etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

<quote>One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60.<quote>

Sounds pretty good for a first attempt, but it depends on the age of the girl also to some extent, but even if she was at the older end of primary school age its still pretty decent.
    but also, was she throwing it correctly, its possible to launch it "ball throw" like a good distance with the elbow leading the throw. that would lead to elbow injury and being called foul in a proper competition.

But yeah, if the girl is interested in doing more shot putt, then please try and get her exposure to a decent (or even half decent) coach as soon as possible before any bad habits form. One/two sessions now to get the basics right can save a whole heap of grief later.

you should find a list of clubs on the athletics ireland site or the dublin athletics site.

Best of luck.....you might provide an update in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

<quote>One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60.<quote>

Sounds pretty good for a first attempt, but it depends on the age of the girl also to some extent, but even if she was at the older end of primary school age its still pretty decent.
    but also, was she throwing it correctly, its possible to launch it "ball throw" like a good distance with the elbow leading the throw. that would lead to elbow injury and being called foul in a proper competition.

But yeah, if the girl is interested in doing more shot putt, then please try and get her exposure to a decent (or even half decent) coach as soon as possible before any bad habits form. One/two sessions now to get the basics right can save a whole heap of grief later.

you should find a list of clubs on the athletics ireland site or the dublin athletics site.

Best of luck.....you might provide an update in the near future?

Cheers for that. The girl in question has just turned 11 and is a bit of an all rounder. I have a little bit of prior experience so I was able to show the girls, as best I could, some sort of basic technique. In spite of that quite a few of them still resorted to the ball throw that you mention. As I've said she's a very clever girl and seemed to take on board everything I was saying. Her technique looked quite good to my untrained eye. I only got a chance to measure her first attempt which was 7.60 but I'm pretty sure her second attempt was over 8m. She seems really keen so will definitely follow it up and try to get a coach in to have a look. Important as you say to iron out any bad habits. Thanks for that and I'll keep you posted if there's anything to report. Ed.

I see Claire Fitzgerald threw 14.08m in the IUAA.
    From what I can see this is a new PB for her and puts her up to 5th in the all time list.
    She also won javelin in 38.48m which isn't too shabby either.

Great to see her back at her best after some injury issues last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Just seen that Cara Kennedy has Euro Junior Standard in the hammer of 55.80m. . .congrats to her, and to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Clonliffe's Beast from the East, Tomas Rauktys, putt the shot 16.83m at the Dublin Graded in Irishtown last night. Big PB for Tomas.

On a coaching side, Tomas has been working with some of the Regional Development squads and passing on the Lithuanian take on discus throwing during the past few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Clonliffe's Beast from the East, Tomas Rauktys, putt the shot 16.83m at the Dublin Graded in Irishtown last night. Big PB for Tomas.

On a coaching side, Tomas has been working with some of the Regional Development squads and passing on the Lithuanian take on discus throwing during the past few months.

You're now a born again thrower TF :) That's good throwing - would place him 12th in the 2010 GB rankings (which is where I tend to look first for comparisons.) Is discus his no.1 event?

Whatever - the last graded shot competition I officiated at Irishtown consisted of a disability athlete and two girls :( Things can only improve.

Well done to Kennedy for getting the standard for the European Juniors (I did predict it earlier in this thread:) )

and also to Colin Quirke..recent discus throw of 54.86m is inside the qualifying standard for the European U23 to be held in Czech Republic in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Great to see this thread up an so many having such good input.
    Have a daughter who is competing in the throws (shot & Javelin), she has a very good coach and I put in a bit of time myself at home. She is a juvenile U-13 and has already medaled in the All-Ireland indoors, and the way she's shaping up at the Javelin think she can do very well in the summer. I see the championship record for her age is 29m+, dont think she is capable of that but a 24- 25m distance would be achevieable. 21m+ won the All-Ireland's last year with an average winning distance of 23m or so. She also is getting close to 10m in the shot.

think it cant be stressed to much how a good coach has helped her, she is by no means a large girl, in fact she is average build. The technique she has learned over the last year or so enables her to be competitive with larger, stronger girls. also she has the disadvantage to be born in December which makes her among the youngest in her age-group, less than 2 weeks from being in the lower age-group.

• Advertisement

longjump67 wrote: »
    Great to see this thread up an so many having such good input.
    Have a daughter who is competing in the throws (shot & Javelin), she has a very good coach and I put in a bit of time myself at home. She is a juvenile U-13 and has already medaled in the All-Ireland indoors, and the way she's shaping up at the Javelin think she can do very well in the summer. I see the championship record for her age is 29m+, dont think she is capable of that but a 24- 25m distance would be achevieable. 21m+ won the All-Ireland's last year with an average winning distance of 23m or so. She also is getting close to 10m in the shot.

think it cant be stressed to much how a good coach has helped her, she is by no means a large girl, in fact she is average build. The technique she has learned over the last year or so enables her to be competitive with larger, stronger girls. also she has the disadvantage to be born in December which makes her among the youngest in her age-group, less than 2 weeks from being in the lower age-group.

Great to hear! Without a doubt even basic coaching will soon deliver benefits to a youngster who is willing and has the patience to listen and practice. At that young age it is often the bigger ones who will prevail but a good basic technique and reasonable physical fitness together will put any young athlete in a good position.

Girls most often have the patience to learn in my experience. Give a young lad a javelin and they just want to wing it any old how and often aren't interested in a coach breaking down the throw into its component parts.

You're obviously very proud of your daughter. Beware of getting too excited as one day she will most likely find something better to do - I've been there :( Enjoy and encourage while it lasts.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    You're obviously very proud of your daughter. Beware of getting too excited as one day she will most likely find something better to do - I've been there :( Enjoy and encourage while it lasts.

Proud yes, but realistic also. Been there, bought the tee-shirt. Been coaching 12 years and have seen athletes with great potential leave the sport due to college, relationships other sports etc....

But while it lasts I'll have a blast :D

Killian Barry of Crusaders threw 66.19, a new National Junior Record and qualifying mark for the European Juniors later in the summer for the Hammer

ecoli wrote: »
    Killian Barry of Crusaders threw 66.19, a new National Junior Record and qualifying mark for the European Juniors later in the summer for the Hammer

One of Phil Conway's Belvedere lads I think...

Well done to Killian.
    It was really only a matter of time for him to get the mark.

As far as I know, He's finished in Belvo since last summer and has lined up a scholarship in some US college for Sept/Oct.

Future is bright for Irish hammer throwers!

Young Mc Guigan just getting over illness will be hopeing to join the 66m+ club within the next few weeks.;)

• Advertisement

Mixed week in terms of the womens Hammer this week. Early in the week New WR set in Germany

Followed up by Eileen O Keefe's retirement days after

Eileen will be missed, but must have inspired many of the up and coming young hammer throwers out there. Who knows it may not be long before we see 1 or more girls in the world champs.

Eileen will be missed, but must have inspired many of the up and coming young hammer throwers out there. Who knows it may not be long before we see 1 or more girls in the world champs.

True, she will be a big loss. . .I hope she considers coaching, her experience of competing at the highest level of Womens hammer is something that can neither be bought nor matched in Ireland today. . .

Future is looking bright for the hammer . . .the 2 junior qualifiers will be added to soon hopefully. . .watch out for Andrew Doyle, Conal Campion, and James McCabe. . .id wager on one of them joining killian barry in the euro juniors

Excellent to see discus qualifiers too. . quirke u23 and Marco pons junior, hopefully Darragh Hanlon will also qualify before the season is out

. . .cannot see any javelin or shot qualifiers at this stage, bu hope springs eternal. . .clare fitzgerald isn't too far from the u23 standard. . .

Future is looking bright for the hammer . . .the 2 junior qualifiers will be added to soon hopefully. . .watch out for Andrew Doyle, Conal Campion, and James McCabe. . .id wager on one of them joining killian barry in the euro juniors

Wouldn't rule out Dempsey Mc Guigan, just getting over an illness should be back to his best in the next month or so.;)

In Leinster Juniors today, Sophie Parkinson had a throw of 40.62m in the Discus just 38cm outside qualification for the youth Olympics.
    Might make it in the Schools next week where the inter girls discus could be an interesting competition

and with Cronin throwing 37+m in the junior age group Munster schools, Pons throwing over 50m in senior boys, there could be some good discus competitions in Tullamore.

Girls hammer could also be good..
    Kennedy (snr) and Akers (jr) both set records in Munster schools and prob favourites but can't rule out McNally who also set a record in snr girls in Ulster

and on the boys side
    Andrew Doyle will be expected to win the senior boys hammer and shot, set records in both in the Ulster schools and could break schools hammer record.
    In the shot, Hickey probably closest to him, and in the hammer McCabe.

Should be some good throws events next Sat....

• Advertisement

Congrats to Dempsey McGuigan and Andrew Doyle on achieving the Euro Junior Hammer Standards. . .we now have 3 qualified in the hammer. . .if I'm not mistaken, Dempsey now holds the national junior record with that 66.82m, robbing Killian's 66.43m record from the 18th May. . .

Fair to say that if anyone else qualifies, we'll be in an unfamiliar selection position for an international championship. . .

These young hammer throwers are coming through well; all of them are living and training outside Ireland at present aren't they?

McGuigan living in UK and I think first completed in Ireland in 2010.
    Barry is heading to US in Sept but still living and training in Dublin as far I know.
    Doyle I assume is also still at usual abode and training.

So no great hammer school responsible for producing all 3, but I assume all forcing each other to new heights

Only 1 guaranteed spot for the european juniors which will go to the winner on Sun....makes for an interested competition.
    I wonder will AAI send the 3 anyway....I believe they should, the impact of having 3 competitors in the men's hammer would be great for hammer throwing in this country.

Yes with only the winner of the Juniors certain to go to the Euros, the Hammer should be " The Event " of the Championships.
    Heard that there could be a thrower from America by the name of Hall coming over to compete, think he's around the 62-63m mark, dark-horse maybe ;)

Can we dream of Ireland becoming a force in throwing again, led by the young hammer tyros?

A guy called Donnie Rocket from Waterford has pitched up in Jersey, a left-hander throwing low 50s off four turns. He's nabbed the Jersey record already and is on the Island Games team competing in the Isle of Wight next week.

Can we dream of Ireland becoming a force in throwing again, led by the young hammer tyros?

A guy called Donnie Rocket from Waterford has pitched up in Jersey, a left-hander throwing low 50s off four turns. He's nabbed the Jersey record already and is on the Island Games team competing in the Isle of Wight next week.

He used to compete here for a club called West Waterford.

When I saw the results from recent Munster Championships, I noticed the name Rocket from West Waterford winning the Boys U14 hammer and discus.
    I assume he's related.

He used to compete here for a club called West Waterford.

When I saw the results from recent Munster Championships, I noticed the name Rocket from West Waterford winning the Boys U14 hammer and discus.
    I assume he's related.

Ah that would be right then. Donnie says he was taught throwing by a priest at school in Dungarvan. I'll find out who the young one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stupidrobot

Wow, is that where he's gone? Great to hear he's still throwing, if I'm right he has the senior Munster record at 54ish meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Two new national junior records in the hammer in Tullamore: Cara Kennedy 57.97m and Barry with 68.38m.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Two new national junior records in the hammer in Tullamore: Cara Kennedy 57.97m and Barry with 68.38m.

WOW...what a junior men's comp today.
    Killian Barry's 5th throw was a foul but measured after at over 69m, he followed up a 68m to take the title.
    Some throwing, Barry and McGuigan pushed each on and added about 3m to the old record which had already been broken this year.
    6 over 60m....Some competition..2 years ago 57m won Gold...

In the womens', the result was never in doubt Kennedy broke the record with her first throw.
    And like the men, seems to be more depth that in other years, 7 over 41m.

Well done to Kennedy and Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Barry and McGuigan

Serious knockout punch in the last round.

Junior mens hammer was outstanding, both Killian & Dempsey going throw for throw. Serious comp and yes Killian did deliver the best throw on the day:D. Remember that Dempsey is still a Junior next year, so expect that record to go over 70m, both throwers capable of that.;)

Dempsey Mc Guigan throwing in the English schools this weekend Senior hammer, with his younger bother Fellan also in the inter hammer.
    Andrew Doyle competing in Germany at the weekend hoping to get a pb and secure his place on the plane for European Juniors.

Something which caught my eye today when I was on the diamond league website is that the hammer isnt contested in it. Admittedly not a huge follower of it but never noticed but went digging and saw this:

http://www.mbingisser.com/2009/09/diamond-league-plan/

Cited infrastructure and safety reasons which seems a bit bizarre to me

Cara Kennedy put the disappointment of fouling out of the Cork City sports on Sat behind her in some style on Sun at the Munster Junior Championships.
    New Irish junior record in the Hammer with a best of 58.26m, also had a 57m throw.
    Well done.

English Schools....
    Fellan McGuigan 4th in InterBoys with 59.88 (5kg hammer)
    Dempsey McGuigan 3rd in Senior Boys with 65.43m (6kg)

(Referring to #85) Good spot. Shame as it's the most spectacular of the throws. It is a headache for organisers though and can usually be found first on the programme before anyone else is around, or else banished to a field outside the main stadium.

Strangely people seem more blase about javelin and I've seen far more potential accidents, usually through carelessness, than in hammer.

English Schools....
    Fellan McGuigan 4th in InterBoys with 59.88 (5kg hammer)
    Dempsey McGuigan 3rd in Senior Boys with 65.43m (6kg)

Fellan competing in the Irish Juvenile champs on Sunday U-16, threw 70.13m (4kg) in the Ulster & NI Champs 3 weeks ago. Irish Championship record is 67.78m set in 1992 also he is still in the inter boys next year for the schools, serious throwing.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stupidrobot

ecoli wrote: »
    Something which caught my eye today when I was on the diamond league website is that the hammer isnt contested in it. Admittedly not a huge follower of it but never noticed but went digging and saw this:

http://www.mbingisser.com/2009/09/diamond-league-plan/

Cited infrastructure and safety reasons which seems a bit bizarre to me

The "Hammer Throw Challenge" mentioned in that article you linked was set up last year and is held the day before a World Challenge event, it's a half measure, prize money is nowhere near that in the diamond league and it isn't being taken to by very many of the top throwers. This all started with the big end of year competition a few years back in Monaco, as it says in the article the track is over a parking garage and the fear was that the hammer would go through the ground! Since then a lot of other brand new tracks seems to be opening that can't hold the hammer for "infrastructural reasons"

Irish Throwers at World Masters...

http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/outdoor/07-06-wma/WMA_Men_Start.pdf

Gary Halpin is back in action and competing in the hammer at World Masters T&F Championships in Sacramento, California this week.
    Gary still holds a number of hammer records at juvenile and schools level, including (i think) the schools Senior Boys hammer record.
    Tommy Farragher (Corofin A.C.) is also down for the Shot Putt, hammer, weight throw & javelin.

Richard O'Hanlon (Galway CH) is doing the Shot Putt and a Pat O'Hanlon is doing the weight throw

http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/outdoor/07-06-wma/WMA_Women_Start.pdf

Geraldine Finnegan seems to be the only women thrower, she is no stranger to medaling at this level but I'm surprised she only seems to be contesting the javelin and is not in the list for the Shot Putt.

Wishing all of them the best of luck

• Advertisement

Tuesday evening at our track an U20 lad was throwing discus, name of Lawrence Okoye from Croydon. He's the training partner of our top boy around about the same age. He's a big lad but still a raw talent.

Looking forward to see what he produces over the course of the season.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/okoye-smashes-uk-discus-record-and-world-age-19-best/

There, I said the boy was promising :pac:

Fellan Mc Guigan smashed the U-16 Hammer Record today at the AAI JUvenile Champs in Tullamore 70.74m. All his legal throws were better than the old record.;)

Fellan Mc Guigan smashed the U-16 Hammer Record today at the AAI JUvenile Champs in Tullamore 70.74m. All his legal throws were better than the old record.;)

Great throwing, impressive to see.
    Similar with Marco Pons on Sat, broke the old u19 discus record with his first throw and then took the record to an impressive 55m and all legal throws over old record.

A number of other CBP in the 2 days, boys u12 James Kelly of Finn Valley, James is the younger brother of John who is no stranger to setting throwing records.
    Girls u12 also new CBP.

Not a record but an impress throw of over 13.50m in the u14 girls shot, some decent discus throwing as well in some ages.

This is brilliant to hear about. You don't want to put pressure on these young athletes but the future suddenly looks rosier.

yes the standard seems to be improving, my own girl medalled in the Javelin with a 24m+ throw not bad for an 11 year old:D. 21m won the same event last year.

yes the standard seems to be improving, my own girl medalled in the Javelin with a 24m+ throw not bad for an 11 year old:D. 21m won the same event last year.

Time that Anita Fitzgibbon was knocked off her perch :)

• Advertisement

Time that Anita Fitzgibbon was knocked off her perch :)
    ??? sorry who is Anita Fitzgibbon:confused:

??? sorry who is Anita Fitzgibbon:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQ-Nmrll-0

Oh have actually seen her throw at the AAI games.
    Sorry for my ignoranance only new to the throwing game, I'm a long jump coach by choice but have gotten into the throws by association because of my daughter.
    Think my girl has a way to go yet to reach that standard.
    She was dissappointed with her throw on Sunday as she had been throwing 26-27m in training that week, but think the nerves got the better of her, but over it now, thats the thing about it at that age they don't analyise things for too long and get over it quickly, thank God.:D

Team announced for European Juniors and throwers well represented!
    3 male hammer throwers, 1 female hammer thrower and 1 male discus thrower.

Absolutely delighted for the 5 involved and I know they will do themselves and Ireland proud!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=20198

A couple of noteable performances in the throws at the Schools international over the weekend.
    Jagger throw over 16.15m in the Shot to win Bronze and Kelly 15.03m.
    I believe that is BP's for both with the 5kg.
    Hanlon won Bronze in the discus by just 3cm with a throw of 42m
    Moffit won Bronze in the hammer with a throw of 57.62m
    Whelan placed 4th in the Javelin, just 10cm outside the medals.

No medals in the girls throwing.
    Parkinson 4th in Discus, McSweeney 4th in Shot, Akers 4th in Hammer, Burns 5th in Javelin.

looking at last years International results it seems the standard in the girls throwing is on the rise in general in these islands..
    those 4th place performances would all have been medal winning performances last year.

RoyMcC should be happy to see Duquemin winning the discus comfortably.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/schools-international-field.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement