Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Thug who attacked dying Pole was on bail" (75 previous convictions)

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

A 21-year-old man with 75 previous convictions was out on bail when he attacked one of two Polish mechanics who were murdered by another man with blows to the head from a screwdriver.

Sean Keogh, a father of one, was sentenced to four years in prison yesterday for kicking Pawel Kalite in the head, seconds after the Polish man had been stabbed through the skull.
    Mr Kalite and his flatmate Mariusz Szwajkos were murdered by David Curran (19), of Lissadel Green in Drimnagh, Dublin. He is now serving life for the double murder.
    Earlier this month, a jury acquitted Keogh, of Vincent Street West in Inchicore, of murdering the two men on February 23, 2008 outside their home on Benbulben Road, Drimnagh.
    Guilty
    Keogh pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Mr Kalite. The charge had been put to him just before the jury began its deliberations at the end of a three-week trial.
    Yesterday, the Central Criminal Court heard that Keogh had 75 previous convictions.
    Det Gda William Ryan said that on May 26 last year Keogh was sentenced to five years for two counts of endangerment.
    He also received a five-year sentence for criminal damage, three years for the unauthorised taking of a vehicle and six months for driving without insurance, with his driving without a licence being taken into consideration.
    He was banned from driving for seven years for dangerous driving. All sentences were concurrent, with the last two years suspended.
    Det Gda Ryan explained that Keogh got bail on these charges on August 30, 2007 and was out of prison when he kicked a dying Pawel Kalite in the head.
    Mr Justice Liam McKechnie said Keogh and others accompanied a screaming David Curran to the house where the two Poles lived and that Keogh knew Curran had a screwdriver.
    The judge noted that after Keogh had seen David Curran stab Pawel Kalite, he delivered "a vicious kick" to the head.
    "It showed a deep and sickening sense of personality to which society should not be exposed. On any level, it was pure thuggery.
    "If he's capable of doing this sort of thing, what else is he capable of doing?"
    He noted a number of factors put forward by the defence as mitigation, including the evidence by the partner and mother of Keogh's child, Sarah Adams, who told the court that she and their three-year-old daughter visited Keogh in jail each week.
    "I wonder what regard he had for (the baby) then," the judge asked.
    "I wonder why he wasn't at home then looking after his daughter of nine months. I suspect she is wondering the same."
    Great that these guys are locked up, but why did it take so long? surely with 75 convictions the guy was a basket case not suited to normal life, and imho should never have been free when he was such a threat to taxpayers and their families.

75 convictions and on bail, at 21. how is that even possible?
    So he must have commited hundreds of crimes to get that many where he was caught. At least if he was locked up he wouldn't have had a daughter he will never be able to care for as a man and father.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/thug-who-attacked-dying-pole-was-on-bail-2186636.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

once again irish justice at its best:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

there's just not the room in prisons for crims, unfortunate fact

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Elevator wrote: »

if there's floorspace there room, its a prison not the Hilton.

IMO criminals forfeit their rights when they commit a crime and should be treated as such (once proven guilty obviously)

The cells should literally have as many bunks as can fit in them. They're in PRISON, it's not supposed to be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

This is what happens when we have a justice system that's run by bleeding heart PC pinkos - those two Polish lads might be alive today if that piece of scum had been locked up and had the key thrown away at oh ... I don't know ... his 30th or 50th or even 74th conviction.

As if that's not bad enough, the girls who cooperated in the attack and conspired with the other attackers to provide false alibis, have had the DPP refuse to prosecute their cases. http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-it-is-obscene-that-these-two-teenage-shethugs-are-free-2176098.html

What the hell is going on in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The joke of concurrent sentencing is seen here: He was sentenced to 13.5 years, but in reality only got a handful with a great part of it suspended.

Frankly, we don't need big prison buildings. We need to create camps in clearings, with two fences and a guard tower. In an overcorwded prison in the US I recall seeing a situation where they had excess prisoners in tents.

When asked if they got too hot or too cold in the summer and winter, the warden replied, "These are the same tents used by our troops in Afghanistan. If they're good enough for them, then they are good enough for these guys."

Too right.

Prison overcrowding should not be an issue. Hell, you have a captive workforce to build you new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

IMO criminals forfeit their rights when they commit a crime and should be treated as such (once proven guilty obviously)

Yea I completely agree. The only facilities I'd give them is a bed, toliet and sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I agree with the sentiments about the prisons. We must make cutbacks everywhere and there is no reason why prisons aren't at the forefront of that.

Sean W, the link you posted, that was a very disturbing read.
    It makes my blood boil to be honest.
    One witness described a scuffle between Pawel and a local teenage boy and how the girls attacked the Pole.
    "The lad in the tracksuit, the two young girls and this older man, they were basically killing the bald chap (Pawel) on the ground," she said.
    When the initial brawl was over, the two girls were left there with Pawel.
    "One of the girls was carrying a bottle of vodka and the other had what appeared to be a bottle of wine."
    As Pawel walked away, a witness said: "One of them gave him a clatter across the face, across the neck. He done nothing. He just crossed the road."
    Another witness described the aftermath of this first serious attack. "I saw Pawel, and the two girls hitting him. I asked him if he is okay. He didn't say anything. He looked upset. I noticed a broken bottle of vodka on the footpath and Pawel had a big bump on his head."
    Pawel had just minutes to live. Another witness then told of seeing Pawel (earlier) lying on the ground. "(He) picked himself up. He staggered towards the chipper."
    Witness said the girls were screaming abuse at Pawel. The witness was so afraid at what he was seeing that he rang the gardai. "The bald guy was heading up the road and the girls were following him and still shouting abuse."
    According to another witness, this abuse went on the lines of: "All Polish people are f****rs."
    One of the girls then texted Curran four times to tell him of the affray. Ten minutes later, he arrived outside the house where the Poles lived. He drove a screwdriver into the heads of Mariusz Szwajkos and Pawel Kalite, killing both.
    That night, he and one of the girls tried to concoct an alibi for them both. She later lied to gardai, denying that she and Curran had been in contact that evening.
    In fact, there had been four phone calls and many texts. "Ha," chortled this comely maiden, "I just reading what it says on the news. Ha. **** xxxx." Later she texted: "Ha ha but like I can't believe it. . . Mad night xxxxx."
    Later still, she texted: "Do you know what I was thinking, we could say that you and me was only in babysitting cos you and me are the only ones who don't have an alibi."
    THIS foul young woman has got away with all her crimes: she participated in a violent attack on an immigrant, she was party to racist abuse and she attempted to pervert the course of justice. And like her similarly complicit girl-friend, she has walked free.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

More disturbing is that the filthy scum girls got away scott free.

BTW, it's the ****ing judges that need locking up, handing down
    these disgusting lenient sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Unfortunately if you cut prisoner facilities you get amnesty up your ass. And nobody seems to want to stand up to that crowd. Bring back hard labour I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe if you didnt incarcerate people for buying a quarter-bag of weed, you might have the space for Serial-Killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe if you didnt incarcerate people for buying a quarter-bag of weed, you might have the space for Serial-Killers.

Who me? I've never incarcerated anyone. Never heard of a prison sentence for buying a small amount of weed. Unless you have a lot of previous and get caught all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I don't understand why the concept of having lots of tiny separated cells in a prison wouldn't work?

Keep it as a prison within a prison. They reoffend, automatic 1 year solitary with just books for company. They don't do their knitting course, bang solitary. They decide to kick someone's head in on the outside? 3 strikes, bang automatic solitary 5 years.

We aren't Sweden, our indigenous scum are really quite scary. We need tough laws for them. In its current state, Irish prison is just like funderland university for most of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps/Perhaps Not Overheal but not in any way pertinent to this case which really does reach into our native "Heart of Darkness" in terms of what our society appears prepared to tolerate and even encourage.

This quoted account goes way beyond the boundaries of acceptable behaviour in any society being portrayed as modern,developed or refined,instead it portrays all too accurately what is the norm throughout this land in 2010.

I believe it should be stickied someplace and constantly reverted to in order to prevent us from Airbrushing the Execution of two innocent men from our collective memory ?
    One witness described a scuffle between Pawel and a local teenage boy and how the girls attacked the Pole.
    "The lad in the tracksuit, the two young girls and this older man, they were basically killing the bald chap (Pawel) on the ground," she said.
    When the initial brawl was over, the two girls were left there with Pawel.
    "One of the girls was carrying a bottle of vodka and the other had what appeared to be a bottle of wine."
    As Pawel walked away, a witness said: "One of them gave him a clatter across the face, across the neck. He done nothing. He just crossed the road."
    Another witness described the aftermath of this first serious attack. "I saw Pawel, and the two girls hitting him. I asked him if he is okay. He didn't say anything. He looked upset. I noticed a broken bottle of vodka on the footpath and Pawel had a big bump on his head."
    Pawel had just minutes to live. Another witness then told of seeing Pawel (earlier) lying on the ground. "(He) picked himself up. He staggered towards the chipper."
    Witness said the girls were screaming abuse at Pawel. The witness was so afraid at what he was seeing that he rang the gardai. "The bald guy was heading up the road and the girls were following him and still shouting abuse."
    According to another witness, this abuse went on the lines of: "All Polish people are f****rs."
    One of the girls then texted Curran four times to tell him of the affray. Ten minutes later, he arrived outside the house where the Poles lived. He drove a screwdriver into the heads of Mariusz Szwajkos and Pawel Kalite, killing both.
    That night, he and one of the girls tried to concoct an alibi for them both. She later lied to gardai, denying that she and Curran had been in contact that evening.
    In fact, there had been four phone calls and many texts. "Ha," chortled this comely maiden, "I just reading what it says on the news. Ha. **** xxxx." Later she texted: "Ha ha but like I can't believe it. . . Mad night xxxxx."
    Later still, she texted: "Do you know what I was thinking, we could say that you and me was only in babysitting cos you and me are the only ones who don't have an alibi."
    THIS foul young woman has got away with all her crimes: she participated in a violent attack on an immigrant, she was party to racist abuse and she attempted to pervert the course of justice. And like her similarly complicit girl-friend, she has walked free.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Great that these guys are locked up, but why did it take so long? surely with 75 convictions the guy was a basket case not suited to normal life, and imho should never have been free when he was such a threat to taxpayers and their families.

75 convictions and on bail, at 21. how is that even possible?
    So he must have commited hundreds of crimes to get that many where he was caught. At least if he was locked up he wouldn't have had a daughter he will never be able to care for as a man and father.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/thug-who-attacked-dying-pole-was-on-bail-2186636.html
    He must have got himself a little conviction every second week. What a scumbag.Only in Ireland would ****e like this happen.If it was in America this wonderful individual would never see freedom again. Shocking stuff

Frankly, we don't need big prison buildings. We need to create camps in clearings, with two fences and a guard tower. In an overcorwded prison in the US I recall seeing a situation where they had excess prisoners in tents.

Nijmegen,I think this may be the facility you`re referring to......

http://www.mcso.org/index.php?a=GetModule&mn=Contact_Us&p=tentcity

Not to everybody`s taste for sure,but this Gent has one of the longest running careers in his chosen field ( ;) ).

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Do it South America style. Throw about 30 of em in 1 room and let em fend for themselves. Poisonous bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Just to let you know, 'convictions' doesn't mean 75 different events. 1 Burglary can involve several convictions. A conviction for 'breaking and entering', 'Burglary', 'destruction of property' etc.

Still though, its awful. People like that should never be free. I'd actually say the states negligence in relation to Justice and protecting its citizens means that they take some sizable blame for the death of those two poor lads IMO.

The only theory that makes sense to me in relation to the justice system, is that for some reason, they DON'T WANT to sort things out.

I will ALWAYS want a justice system with mercy as part of its core. However, if someone is convicted for a third time, even for what you'd class 'a small crime'. I'd come down so hard on them that they would NEVER take a bravado approach if a Garda is called. Give me a few corrupt Gardaí abusing their power over scum investations in all our towns and cities. We need the system to grow some balls, as it seems completely emasculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The problem seems to be they dont want to put them in prison as its already seriously overcrowded. We should be looking to build a new large prison for these lot, would have been a great part of the decetralisation programme. Build a big place in the middle of nowhere in Mayo or Donegal, can bet the families of the scum sent there wouldnt travel that far to chuck their daily dose of whatever over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thread title amended for accuracy.

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

walshb wrote: »
    More disturbing is that the filthy scum girls got away scott free.

BTW, it's the ****ing judges that need locking up, handing down
    these disgusting lenient sentences.

Four and a half years from a maximum of 5, on a guilty plea is lenient?

It really would be no harm if you knew a bit more about law before trotting out these arguments bout judges need to be locked up etc. Or do you think that judges should exceed the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

It's a maximum of 5 years for killing someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Elevator wrote: »
    Aye. There is only room for people who haven't paid their fines. No room for crim's that hurt, maim, or kill people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

People just dont get fines for no reason.

People get fines for being convicted of assault, criminal damage, burglary and road traffic offences, to name a few.

When you get a fine you are given an option. For Eg. Fine of €1000, 3 months to pay or 10 days in prison in default.

Most people now prefer to spend time in prison than pay the fines. Once you enter the gates of prison your fine is wiped out.

If you are given 10 days in prison you will most likely be released after 1 or 2 days so its an easier option than working and paying for your fine. Especially if you are a repeat offender.

75 convictions is low. There are many people going around with 300+ convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Overheal wrote: »
    Generally speaking the prison for low level drugs possession problem isn't half as bad in Ireland as in the US, we don't have the "war on drugs" here.
    However, the Irish police, An Garda Siochana, distinguish between possession for personal use and possession for sale or supply. Possession of cannabis or cannabis resin is treated less severely than other drugs. The punishment for the first and second conviction of cannabis possession is a fine and after the third conviction, a fine and up to three years in prison. The penalties for possession or trafficking of hard drugs are stiffer.
    I'd still be in favour of looking at decriminalisation (not legalisation), similar to Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

We have a major problem in Ireland ,So many crims and no where to put them,instead we deside to lock up people that cant afford to pay fines,tax,maintance and such like:mad:maybe its just me but i think the justice system is flawed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Pittens wrote: »
    It's a maximum of 5 years for killing someone?

No, for section 3 assault causing harm

He was acquitted of murder and manslaughter by the jury, so please be carefull about what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Do it South America style. Throw about 30 of em in 1 room and let em fend for themselves. Poisonous bastards
    Irrespective of the crime? To hell with rehabilitation, eh?

Seems to be a fair bit of respect for the US justice system being bandied about. Let's just conveniently ignore the fact that the USA is one of the most violent societies in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Four and a half years from a maximum of 5, on a guilty plea is lenient?

It really would be no harm if you knew a bit more about law before trotting out these arguments bout judges need to be locked up etc. Or do you think that judges should exceed the law?

That was the other guy and that was lenient.
    The girls got nothing, not even a charge iirc :mad:

• Advertisement

That was the other guy and that was lenient.
    The girls got nothing, not even a charge iirc

Cookie_Monster,to be fair to Mr Skeleton (The hint is in his sig :) ) he is arguing the points from an informed legal position.

He represents,it would appear,a viewpoint held by many within the judicial administration,that those of us who express a sense of misgiving over verdicts such as the Kalite/Swjaikos executions (In my opinion these men were hunted down and executed in a manner which we need to ensure is never forgotten) are simply ill-informed or reactionary in their attitude.

I respect Mr Skeleton`s depth of legal knowledge and the advantage it provides him when attempting to rationalize the sentencing procedure.

He also,in common with many of those who inhabit the Politico/Legal zone,has little time for so called sensationalist reporting by the media,which he feels tends to incite the lower-orders into making wild accusations and recriminatory statements against the Judiciary and Courts Process.

This particular case was I felt reported upon in avery factual manner by the Media with little sensationalizing or non-factual reportage.

How,I wonder would it be possible to "sensationalize" the details of the last hour of those men`s lives ?

Those details,particularly the eye-witness accounts of the pursuit and the pathologists evidence are as chilling an account of pure evil as one will read anywhere.

Perhaps of even more awful significance,however,are the accounts of the general lifestyle of the youthful members of the pack which pursued these men.

Teenage thugs,already well-known to the Authorities,living a wild destructive existance,abusing whatever substances they could obtain and always at the ready to attack,injure or eliminate anything or anybody they regarded as different.

Even today as a passenger on the Luas Red Line if you glance up to the Canal Lock gates as you pass Blackhorse stop,I`ll wager you will see similar groupings...disadvantaged forgotten youths etc etc,yet with sufficent means available to do their daily "deals" for whatever substance is on offer and equal funding to possess gold soverign rings and a skip full of mobile communications technology....Obviously well disadvantaged.

Its all so black and white really...The executed Polish men,qualified and using their time and skills to the benefit of Irish society and their youthful executioners,with little time or inclination available for such exotic pursuits as work in between the highs and lows of their all too popular lifestyle.
    He was acquitted of murder and manslaughter by the jury, so please be carefull about what you say.

However,as Mr Skeleton advises,in modern Ireland those who do feel uncomfortable at the direction our country is being pushed in are probably best being "careful" or simply saying nothing ?

Advertisement