Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

inthehole1 wrote: »
    how is the course holding up after the weather we have had
    Thought it would of have been closed

Was closed yesterday alright, 2 days of no rain so was ok, bit soft not too bad, few make shift greens in place to mind the main green, bit **** that now if i must say myself

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ralphh

Played the O'Meara course in Carton. 7 pars! Played off the winter tees though so not a true reflection of a normal round!

40 sf points though so really happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Wombatman wrote: »
    26 for 14 off 18.

3 pars
    8 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 scratch

Drove like a clown. Putting not much better.

Is that not 27 points?

Played again today - 9 Holes

21pts off 18

5 Pars
    2 Bogeys
    2 DB

41 Strokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Got to play 15 holes today .

26 points marking of 28 . Working on a grip change at the moment so i wasnt too worried about scores .

Huge improvment with my driver . So for this alone i walked off the course quite happy .

The wind was quite strong at times and never seemed to be an advantage . My putting was terrible but Ill put that down to the wind cause Its normally quite good .

Highlight of the round , leaving a 6 inch tap in from a 110 yard PW shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Got to play 15 holes today .

26 points marking of 28 . Working on a grip change at the moment so i wasnt too worried about scores .

Huge improvment with my driver . So for this alone i walked off the course quite happy .

The wind was quite strong at times and never seemed to be an advantage . My putting was terrible but Ill put that down to the wind cause Its normally quite good .

Highlight of the round , leaving a 6 inch tap in from a 110 yard PW shot

you'll find that quite a lot around GC, prevaiking wind is into/across on considerably more holes than it is with you

you'll find that quite a lot around GC, prevaiking wind is into/across on considerably more holes than it is with you
    Yeah and the 1st is hard enough as it without the gale force wind ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

But it wasnt all bad as i hit the drive of my life on the 3rd with the wind behind me

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

2 under gross in Carton House today. Got away with it weather wise. Played decent but course playing very short with placing everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Got at for 9holes today in tramore very wet but glad to get out,had 3pars,5bogeys,1db it was very windy but a yellow thing in the sky was out for awhile had forgotten what the sun looked like:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

34 pts in a wet WaterRock.

Putting like a 36 handicappper. But the rest of game good.

20 pts on back nine.

But if you can't score 36 pts around WaterRock in Cork - you have the wrong handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

39 points today.

1 birdie
    6 pars
    10 bogies
    1 double

Sounds excellent, but the course was ridiculously short. Lots of very forward tees and some temporarys too. Played solid but unspectacular. Course was very wet but at least it was open.

Driving much improved on last week, irons ok, pitching generally alright but a shocker from a good position on 13 caused only double of the day. Putting solid, nowhere near the spectacular heights of last week, had 36 putts in all but only 2 or three bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

3 birdies
    9 para
    3 bogies
    3 doubles

1st card for my handicap after it expired after not playing for a few years.(they said the winter rules score.would still
    Count) . Played well enough. Driving was average but stayed out of trouble. Iron game is getting there, this use to be my strongest part of my game but has been sloppy of late. Putting was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

14 hole comp today 20 points playing off 18 for the 14 holes . Arrived in plenty of time to be told the two people I was supposed to play with cancelled and I could head out with the 3 lads that were already on tee, no practice on putting green of even a few swings in net to loosen up which I like to do but what harm . Was all over the place first few holes , nearly hit first putt off green from 20 foot and few terrible wedge and iron shots but I stuck with it and chipped in for birdie on 9 th and parred the 10 th and 11 th for a nice spell during the round . I had
    1 birdie
    2 pars
    2 bogeys
    6 double bogeys
    3 scratches
    Overall with the quick start into playing I'm happy enough with how the game went . Will be going to range to try sort out my iron play before my next comp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

40pts off 18 in casual round.
    5 pars
    12 bogies
    1 double

Drove well. 3 wood outstanding. Hybrids and mid irons OK. Pitching and chipping good. Putting poor. Course management and concentration could have been better.

Course like a swamp in spots. Surprised it was open. Shocked I didn't lose any balls to plugging. Nice day but a breeze to be reckoned with. Greens were very soft but as true as they could be with all the traffic.

Happy over all. Back was playing up so had to swing slow and steady which contributed to a nice steady round.

Hoping to get cut soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate was in great condition today considering the constant deluge we've had over the last while. I played another 13 hole competition there today and while I played ok I only had 25pts as I wasn't hitting the greens in 2 like I had been last couple of weeks. Played the 6th very badly (triple bogey) and the 7th not much better (double) but apart from that was steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

7 pars
    5 bogeys
    5 doubles
    1 scratch

Can't remember ever driving it as bad which incredibly worked to my advantage into the teeth of the wind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

67-

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Played 13 holes in Ballykisteen today. Had 23 points or so. First tee has been moved back to where it used to be so it's a tough par 4 again now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ballyk wrote: »
    Played 13 holes in Ballykisteen today. Had 23 points or so. First tee has been moved back to where it used to be so it's a tough par 4 again now.

Is that a permanent move back?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Is that a permanent move back?

As far as I know it is. Apparently it's been back there for a couple of months now. No more irons off the tee!

• Advertisement

As far as I know it is. Apparently it's been back there for a couple of months now. No more irons off the tee!

Isnt that the hole they shortened to a par 3 when we were there? Great its back to a par 4 as its a great opening hole

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Isnt that the hole they shortened to a par 3 when we were there? Great its back to a par 4 as its a great opening hole

Good memory Charlie! Yes, it was a par 3 when we played it which really took from it as it made par much easier to attain.

It then went to a short par 4 of 287 yards off the whites. It's actually going to be tougher than it used to be in the old days as there's a lot of out of bounds down the right hand side now which wasn't the case before. It'll take a good drive and a good second shot over the water now to hit the green.

Went looking for a last minute course yesterday morning (nothing booked with the weather) and ended up in Esker Hills with alxmorgan. Turned out to be an ok day for golf, few showers, sunshine and the compulsory hailstones which have fallen there the last 2 times i've played there!!! Course was in excellent condition considering the weather we've had which is more that what I can say about my game!! Then again its my first full round of the year and the first since late December so I can't complain. Flashes of the end of last year came up in my game which was good but wayyyyyy too much rust that the visits to the range haven't cured. Short game is improving which was my Achilles heel last year. Driving took a few holes to get right but it came back - after 8 holes!! Had 3 pars, few bogies and a few dom do dom dom's!!

Carried the bag for the first time too (my new years resolution is to get fit and this is part of it) Could have picked an easier course to start out doing it!!! So much handier carry it though - if the fcuker would stop falling over every time i put it down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Good memory Charlie! Yes, it was a par 3 when we played it which really took from it as it made par much easier to attain.

It then went to a short par 4 of 287 yards off the whites. It's actually going to be tougher than it used to be in the old days as there's a lot of out of bounds down the right hand side now which wasn't the case before. It'll take a good drive and a good second shot over the water now to hit the green.

Still OOB down left as well i.e. on to 8th green ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Stableford singles on saturday over 12 holes .... HCP 17

Par,Par,Birdie,Bogey,Double Bogey,Par,Double,Par,Double Bogey,Bogey,Bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Driver breaking my heart... 12 holes 1 fairway... short game was okish

+3 - 1 fairway hit, 6 greens

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Still OOB down left as well i.e. on to 8th green ?

I think that's gone.

I was down the right hand side with my drive so I wasn't taking too much notice of whether the OOB on the left was still there. Given the strength of the left to right wind yesterday it would nearly have been impossible to be over where the OOB on the left used to be. :D

I think that's gone.

I was down the right hand side with my drive so I wasn't taking too much notice of whether the OOB on the left was still there. Given the strength of the left to right wind yesterday it would nearly have been impossible to be over where the OOB on the left used to be. :D

If its is still there it would leave you with a very small target
    Surprised its back full though as I thought the houses out right were the issue

If its is still there it would leave you with a very small target
    Surprised its back full though as I thought the houses out right were the issue

Agreed the target would be too small. There seems to have been work done on the fence by the road which now looks more secure. There's also a small one just to the right of the tee-box which should catch any drive that is heading straight right and towards the houses.

If you fancy a game to see it for yourself give me a shout.

• Advertisement

Agreed the target would be too small. There seems to have been work done on the fence by the road which now looks more secure. There's also a small one just to the right of the tee-box which should catch any drive that is heading straight right and towards the houses.

If you fancy a game to see it for yourself give me a shout.

Cheers. Defo planning to get out there soon for a game as its a course I've always loved.

How is it holding up with the weather ?
    Always took water well in my experience. Tried to get out there a few weeks ago and it was closed which shocked me - you know the weather is bad then !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

putting horrendously - a 4 putt and 4 3 putts. Don't know what has happened. Changing too much again. Hit the ball too hard, pulling or straight right.

Pitty, rest of game ok. Finished 14 over in Corballis.

Anyway - a bit of thinking of where to go next with putting. Might get a fat grip.

Very nice out there today, couldn't believe how dry it was.

Tomorrow will be better - can't be as bad as that again.

Cheers. Defo planning to get out there soon for a game as its a course I've always loved.

How is it holding up with the weather ?
    Always took water well in my experience. Tried to get out there a few weeks ago and it was closed which shocked me - you know the weather is bad then !!

The course used to be wet years ago. However they put in a huge amount of drainage over the last number of years which meant it took the water well ever since.

The greens were good yesterday. Fairways were soft in places. I don't ever remember it being closed due to wet weather up until the end of 2013/start of 2014 which tells you how bad things have been as you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Got my handicap today of 23. I haven't played to It in Rathcore but have in Navan and Moor Park so I'm sure with time I will.

Today, as far as I can work out, I scored 28pts (2 pars,some bogeies and doubles) with the new irons so delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

putting horrendously - a 4 putt and 4 3 putts. Don't know what has happened. Changing too much again. Hit the ball too hard, pulling or straight right.

Pitty, rest of game ok. Finished 14 over in Corballis.

Anyway - a bit of thinking of where to go next with putting. Might get a fat grip.

Very nice out there today, couldn't believe how dry it was.

Tomorrow will be better - can't be as bad as that again.

It's winter golf. Putting well is not to be expected this time of year as you are generally putting on greens that are slower than what you are used to, bumpier than what you are used to and therefore you generally try to put something extra into your stroke, thus throwing yourself off.

Now is NOT the time to be making drastic changes to your putter/stroke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Played mountain view today greens still in great order credit to greenkeepers. Arrived to rain sat in the jeep let it pass over. Was pretty windy but enjoyable. Had 22pts front9 was +4 playing well walking onto the 10th went db 11th par 12th par 13th par. 14th ruined me 2 balls lost to the right, head in the bin round over finshed 12pts bck9 I cant even remember I was so annoyed about the 14th I messed up my round..

• Advertisement

Played Water Rock today,
    We had rain, cold wind, Sun and snow all in the round :(

First day playing off new handicap of 17 (17.4) Official Now :)
    Hit 31pts - Not a good day tho

3 Par
    9 Bogey
    5 Double Bogey
    1 other (9) Dont ask :mad:

94 Strokes

All in all myself and the lad i was playing with said that for a new course we both be happy with 30pts
    So even after a crap back 9 of 14pts set a goal of Bogey for each of last 6 holes, managed too sneak in a Par could have had 2-3 more really but what can ya do.....

It was forward tee's (20-30yds) and NO mats which was great,
    The Greens were in EXCELLANT shape, we couldn't believe how quick they were, losts alot of puts over it but really enjoyed the day.....

For anyone down in Cork i would reccommend playing a round in Water Rock, lovely staff and Great Course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He went one better and gave you 17!!!! :D

PARlance wrote: »
    He went one better and gave you 17!!!! :D

Ya PARlance,
    Played another round the other day and took a €5 off him in a Four Ball :D
    He went back over my scoring through the winter as i got few 38-41

Im only .1 off 18 anyway which is just one comp away haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Dossy, How soft were the fairways in Waterrock?

Was thinking of heading there over the weekend for my first game of the year.

paulos53 wrote: »
    Dossy, How soft were the fairways in Waterrock?

Was thinking of heading there over the weekend for my first game of the year.

We both found them in great nick, to be honest it was the first thing i said walking down the 10th ( started on back 9 )

I was stamping on the ground saying "christ this is class, there solid out"

Another thing was only few holes 2-3 id say that were bit soft off to the left and rear of green

• Advertisement

30 points marking off 28 today in Carton house on the O Meara course .

I was disapointed with myself walking off because my short game killed me and for the last 2 holes my driving disserted me , two horrible snap hooks to finish .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Absolutely shocking. Played 15 holes in castlebar and got 20pts. I can't believe I played that bad. Course was very wet in parts but overall in good condition. Greens had a lot of pitch marks tho, I think people have forgot how to repair them on that course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

PB for me today. All the work at the range paying off in spades.

Lift clean and place everywhere. Bunkers GUR.
    11 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 scratch (triple bogey)

Missed two putts from inside three feet.

This vid has really helped me at the range, particularly the slow mo and long takes. Rory haters try to ignore the fact that it is Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Another steady if unspectacular round in Moate today. 26pts for 13 hole competition. Low point was scratch on 3rd hole after knocking a drive down into a nearby drain (it was so bad it was nearly an air shot) and then going wayward with my 4th shot after a solid 2nd drive. Positives were my driving on the other holes and my putting was decent enough too. Finished with 4 pars in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

+2 for 13 holes there last week. Hit the ball well. My last18 holes was carton monty 4 wks back +6 with doubles on 17 and 18 :( was bombin it. Cannot wait for summer gonna really try get from 9 to 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

played 9 holes in portumna yesterday with 4 pars and 5 bogies with a few poor decisions resulting in the bogies, with swing changes and with new driver so happy enough..
    fir 5/7
    gir 4/9
    putts 18

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

+8 today
    +6 f 9, +2 b 9
    8 pars
    1 birdie
    9 bogey's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Galway Bay off 17. 38 points scratched last but happy otherwise. Have a feeling there is a big score about to burst out. Hopefully not until cuts come into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Played Monty today with Charlie & Scuba, great day for it, greens and fairways in great nick, soft enough in parts of the rough.

Had 37 points off 17, 88 strokes.

Steady but unspectacular front 9:
    (14 points)
    5bogies
    2 db's
    1 Scratch (4 putt for TB... Lack of concentration)

Scratch came on the 9th, when I should have had a decent par putt for level 2's.

Turned things around on the back 9:
    (3 over for 23 points)
    1 birdie
    5 pars
    2 bogeys
    1 DB

Saved my birdie to finish off a nice day golfing. Just over 4 hours and the company a joy.

Excellent course with excellent company, doesn't get much better! Very little rain apart from only a few drops thankfully. Yet again it took 8 holes to get the driver working but scrambled well to keep big scores off the card. Struggled with the putter at times too though - had 6 or 7 birdie putts and only had made one and 2 pars! Sank a few long ones to make bogey though.
    Still, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    1 birdie
    2 pars
    11 bogeys
    Few scratches from visiting nearly every bunker on a few holes!!! They need to add about 4 foot of sand to them!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement