Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Managed to play 18 today, putting was a little suspect , had 3 three putts. Driving was consistent as was wedge play, managed to get up and down 5 times.

Gross 80 (+9)

7 pars
    1 birdie
    10 bogey's
    33 putts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    A lot of scratches today trying to get a feel for the new swing from the lesson. Gained more confidence at the end of the round. Had a chance of 5 pars and only made one of them, bogeyed the other 4.The rest were double and triple bogey.

Need at least another lesson with the driver, no sure how to set up with the new swing.
    Be patient & stick with it. Can be too easy to fall back into old habits if you don't see immediate results after lessons.

Chances are it'll pay off in th belong run.

1st round of 2014 for me coming up on Sunday, can't wait to get back swinging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Be patient & stick with it. Can be too easy to fall back into old habits if you don't see immediate results after lessons.

I did for a few holes out of frustration then had a brain fart that it was exactly the reason I got the lesson for. I need much more practice, only 30minutes of a lesson and 45 minutes drilling it was never going to be enough for a big change.
    Best of luck, even playing bad its great to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Dead right, only way to deal with it is to keep practicing, i myself only got a lesson recently over locking up my right knee and have spent the last 2 days in the range.....

1st day was hard and i was getting annoyed with myself but still stuck with it,
    2nd day (today) much better, still concentrated on every ball (hit 160 balls)
    Wasnt hitting my full distance but was just happy that the right knee is staying flexed.....

Give it time and get in the range :)
    Record each range day in a diary, pros cons etc, i find it helps,
    Also set small Goals for yourself and tick them off one by one,
    Most of all ENJOY it,
    Best of luck..!!

Dossy wrote: »
    Dead right, only way to deal with it is to keep practicing, i myself only got a lesson recently over locking up my right knee and have spent the last 2 days in the range.....

1st day was hard and i was getting annoyed with myself but still stuck with it,
    2nd day (today) much better, still concentrated on every ball (hit 160 balls)
    Wasnt hitting my full distance but was just happy that the right knee is staying flexed.....

Give it time and get in the range :)
    Record each range day in a diary, pros cons etc, i find it helps,
    Also set small Goals for yourself and tick them off one by one,
    Most of all ENJOY it,
    Best of luck..!!

Thanks, the diary thing sounds like a good idea. The pro said anytime its quiet to give him a shout and he'll look in on my and advise me on what im doing (free of charge) so its something im planning on doing.
    The biggest problem I have withe range is for the price of a basket I can play the local course on a monday lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played Carne golf links today(belmullet). As my home course has bad flood damage from the storms carne offered all our members a free round today so headed down. Thank god it was free because I would be gutted if I forked out 30 yoyos and played as bad as I did.

Had 26 points. 15 on the front 11 on the back. Started very badly on the back nine, only getting 5 points for the first 6 holes. Still enjoyed it tho, lovely course and a great day for golf :)

@dan_ep82 how much is a bloody basket of balls!?!?! :O

etxp wrote: »
    Played Carne golf links today(belmullet). As my home course has bad flood damage from the storms carne offered all our members a free round today so headed down. Thank god it was free because I would be gutted if I forked out 30 yoyos and played as bad as I did.

Had 26 points. 15 on the front 11 on the back. Started very badly on the back nine, only getting 5 points for the first 6 holes. Still enjoyed it tho, lovely course and a great day for golf :)

@dan_ep82 how much is a bloody basket of balls!?!?! :O
    €4.50. €5 will get you out on Monday.

It know it sounds stingy but when yuo compare 1hr at the range or 4 playing golf its a hard choice on a Monday.

I did hit a basket this evening a felt much more comfortable with the changes which resulted in better strikes.

On your OP, I've played 3 free rounds, every one a uniquely bad round lol. It must be a thing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Golf Partner and myself on home course: 95/99. About average for myself, but I only play for the nice ringing sound the golfball makes when it hits trees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

84 strokes in Roscrea yesterday. First time there. Couldn't get over how dry it was underfoot. Not a bad course at all.

1 birdie
    5 pars
    11 bogeys
    1 treble

No 3 putt thanks to Dr. Bob

Just as I was beginning to think I could break 80 for the first time I sent my drive on 16 OB. Dropped 5 shots on the last 3 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

First time out in four months today, shot a 2 over 74. Was pretty happy with it considering i havent been playing much. Wedge play was awful though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

etxp wrote: »
    Played Carne golf links today(belmullet). As my home course has bad flood damage from the storms carne offered all our members a free round today so headed down.

I know its the scoring thread, but it has to be said...

*Thumbs up* to Carne! That is really awesome to do something like that for another club and its members. Fairplay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

35pts last week off hc 18-won the front 9 comp with 22 points in Roganstown

Yesterday in non stop rain had 30points (18 on front) bloody delighted as my pawacaddy broke on 11th and I pulled a muscle in my neck on 6th

Golf game is heading in right direction- short game is getting sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Rikand wrote: »
    I know its the scoring thread, but it has to be said...

*Thumbs up* to Carne! That is really awesome to do something like that for another club and its members. Fairplay!

Yea was a pretty awesome thing to do!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

37 points off 17 today.
    19/18 front/back.
    Putting and green side chips cost me a few, happy to be keeping the overall scoring steady over the past few months (buffers and the rare ocassion either side).
    The scoring within the round is a bit all or nothing...

8 pars
    5 bogeys
    4 Doubles (index 1&2, OOB and stupid)
    1 Scratch (stupid)

3 birdie putts lipped out.
    Happy to be coming away a little disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

5 under gross in a 2man scramble, played shocking ****e and left it behind us.

• Advertisement

What a day for golf & abu's ;)

Gross 82 today (+11)
    5 pars
    11 bogey's
    1 double
    1 ace

Funny game, couldn't buy a putt :D thankfully didn't need one on the par 3 11th :D

Strangely enough I would have thought it could only get better after the ace but alas it obviously got the better of me with only one par after that.

Fair play mafc, first hole in one?

PARlance wrote: »
    Fair play mafc, first hole in one?

Thanks PARlance, yeh my first one, came close a few times but finally done it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Excellent stuff. Congrats on the ace.

mafc wrote: »
    Thanks PARlance, yeh my first one, came close a few times but finally done it :D

I would thank it twice if I could.
    Fairly reserved post for an Ace, somehow it deserves more than a sentence in the HDYS thread.... :)

Super stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Well done on the Ace fella :)
    You need your own thread just for the Ace!!

PARlance wrote: »
    I would thank it twice if I could.
    Fairly reserved post for an Ace, somehow it deserves more than a sentence in the HDYS thread.... :)

Super stuff

To be honest with you it was a bit of an anti climax, not how I thought it would be. We took a few photos shook hands & got on with the rest of the round.A few pints of the black stuff were consumed afterwards with my playing partners.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Congrats on the ace, super stuff.

Played with Parlance & Scuba today out in Grange Castle. First round of 2014 & the lack of practice showed with my short game.

Putter was working pretty well, 3 3putts, but still felt I was putting very well, 5 1putts.

Was very solid off the tee, but the iron & long game wasn't quite there.

79% FIR
    28% GIR
    34 Putts

1 birdie
    4 Pars
    12 Bogeys
    1 Treble

86 strokes.

If the putter had been working for parlance today he could have posted an epic score & Scuba will be in good shape once those swing changes are settled in.

Time to get back into lesson mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Another strange kind of a round today. Scored 38 points (84 strokes), 21 front and 17 back.

1 birdie
    8 pars
    6 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 scratch

Going lovely until the 9th, only +2 after 8. Short par 3, hit it straight as an arrow off the tee but overcooked it. Chipped back on and went well past, then had an overly agressive putt and missed the next back for my first double bogey of 2014 :-(

Had a few duffed pitches today from 40 to 60 yards out, the only bad part of my game, one ended up in the lake. Driving was decent enough, irons were once again really good, I have never been so consistent with my irons as I have in the last month or two. Pitching around the green was very good, made several saves today and putter generally worked well.

Playing so well at the moment, just dying to get back to summer rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

27 points off 17, :mad:
    Dear God why do i play this fu**ing game.

Driving was so erratic that it was a guessing game where it would go.
    Irons not much better and putting is so scary that my partners wont give me a foot putt cause i probably will 3 putt.

Lessons have to be booked asap :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played really brilliant today but made 3 bad swings the whole day, resulting in 3 lost balls. Still finished with 30 points for 15 holes. Happy enough :D

Cant remember when i last lost 3 balls in a round though, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Very happy with my 13 hole competition score yesterday of 31pts in Moate. It was made all the sweeter by the fact that I totally stuffed up the first hole but it was the only one I scratched all day. I was delighted that I didnt let it affect me one bit just carried on with the rest of the round and although I had a couple of iffy shots here and there overall I was hitting the ball pretty well.

Even got 3 birdies, the 5th (index 1) the 9th (easy par 4, index 18) and the 12th (index 8). I had not birdied the 5th in ages. Didnt feature in the category prizes as I had a 2nd in a 13 holer before Christmas so it meant my 'official' score for the comp was 31-1 = 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Did 9 holes at Ballyhaunis in 46 shots today

1 * 7 (silly shots)
    2 * 6's
    4 * 5's
    1 * 4
    1 * 3

More to come off hopefully and will have to get a handicap soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well done mafc . Dying to get one myself. Still missing off the to do list.

Very cooly delivered.

Played Moor Park today for a break from Rathcore, almost didn't go out with a toothache but its a day at golf so..

55 on the front 9 with 1 par and 1 scratch (counted as 7), 45 on the back nine with 1 birdie and 2 pars. Took some painkillers that didn't kick in until near the end of the front 9 so it was tough going walking into the wind etc

Tipped into the driving range after to hit the driver a few times. Wasn't too bad today as long as I followed through fully. The pro I got lessons from had a look in and said much the same thing, just not to leave my stance so wide, otherwise he said its a really good swing when I put everything together which helped my mood at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Played 12 in Forrest lit, +2 after 3 but didn't panic... Run of pars, 1bogey and 3 birds in last 4 resulting in level..

Quite enjoyed how I stuck at it and grinded a result. Love this game again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

mafc wrote: »
    What a day for golf & abu's ;)

Gross 82 today (+11)
    5 pars
    11 bogey's
    1 double
    1 ace

Funny game, couldn't buy a putt :D thankfully didn't need one on the par 3 11th :D

Strangely enough I would have thought it could only get better after the ace but alas it obviously got the better of me with only one par after that.

well done! Class feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

15 holes played in Rathbane. first time i played there in nearly a year.

ended with 32 points.
    i normally give myself a target of >30 points for 18 holes.

So happy enough

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

played first 18 holes in 7 weeks,first round with the new nike driver too.came in with 35pts off 14..
    general play was good, but couple of chips killed
    driving was slightly wayward at times.( new driver and all)
    but happy overall..

9 holes at Ballyhaunis again today - in windy conditions

1 * 7
    7 * 6's
    1 * 4

jdee99 wrote: »
    9 holes at Ballyhaunis again today - in windy conditions

1 * 7
    7 * 6's
    1 * 4

Com'on Mayo!!!
    That's 3 of us on the golf forum now... A few more and we might get an Boards Society Outing in the West in a few years :)

Did 18 holes at BH again today

96 shots

4 * Par
    7 * Bogies
    5 * D Bogies
    2 * T Bogies

At least 8 shots were stupid ones! 1 35 foot putt and 1 chip in from off the green :-)

Did 18 holes at BH again today

96 shots
    1 * 8
    2 * 7
    5 * 6
    3 * 5
    6 * 4
    1 * 3

At least 8 shots were stupid ones! 1 35 foot putt and 1 chip in from off the green :-)

Jdee, it might be best to keep your scores in this format:
    X Birdies,
    X Pars,
    X Bogies,
    X D Bogies,
    X T Bogies

It's very hard to know what's going on with the current system you are using.
    i.e was your 3 a birdie on a Par 4, a Par on a Par 3.... or an eagle on a Par 5 :D

Sorry we are not being golf grammar Nazzi's but is BH - Bay Hill. Ballymun House or Beirut Hospital.

I know it is Ballyhaunis.

Your going well - 96.

What was your lowest so far ?

• Advertisement

Apologies will list as birdies etc in future - best so far is a 94 - only been playing since September so I guess its heading in the right direction - and yes it Ballyhaunis will use full name in future :-)

Apologies will list as birdies etc in future - best so far is a 94 - only been playing since September so I guess its heading in the right direction - and yes it Ballyhaunis will use full name in future :-)

Well done - that is fantastic going in such a short time.

Dreadful golf but a good day out in Rathcore.

Went out with the brother and teamed up with a member (Noel) who was on his own and was gracious enough to score my card, even though it probably needed a calculator.

2 Pars
    3 Bogies
    6 Dbl Bogies
    2 Triples
    5 massive ones

Gross 116 :o

Cutting them back to Dbl's knocked 15 off!

Some hits today were great but most were horrendous, never quite felt right with the new grip/swing but it was great to play with Noel and I can only apologize for calling what I was doing playing golf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

65 in Elm Green today.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    65 in Elm Green today.

Wow - what is that under par ?

What you play off.

Wow - what is that under par ?

What you play off.

It was 11 over. It was at the pitch and putt :).

• Advertisement

It was 11 over. It was at the pitch and putt :).

What are you posting in golf for then :rolleyes:

Its still golf but with shorter holes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

It's golf Bill, but not as we know it....................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Its still golf but with shorter holes. :)

In fairness Par 3 is great for a lad that just wants a quick game and a bit of craic. It's also a great intro for beginners. Glen Mills in Wicklow is a good test for any improving golfer.

Corballis.

Scored poor, but happy enough as first time out testing many changes to game.
    Wanted a change of scene. Also parts of my course out of play till march.

16 over, a quad on 3. Forgot to take my medicine twice.
    Putting poor 34 putts.

But happy enough, a start, try to not work too hard on swing on course.

Strange - one of those days you walk off scoring awful , but know you are close to something coming right.

Out with an Aussie in am, know I will score better, know he will need some of my clothes, he is facing a 40 deg drop from his place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement