Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Supup

OMFG!!!

I've been watching The Americans online and just finished Season 2 this evening. Two fantastic twists (could even be three) in the last 10 minutes.

Breath taking stuff :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It really was superb. They nailed it. Real tempo and energy, again a reminder, imo, of how the show can be understated, yet still deliver.

The teaser felt ominous and with the shoe talk you knew that he wasn't going to make it. Philip and Elizabeth discuss their childhoods, then that tune...

I generally felt like that the Echo thing was somewhat of a ruse, that maybe it didn't really exist and it was just all BS to make the Russians think it did. 5 inch floppy disks and all. ;) And course, it was just a way to see things through Stan's eyes. He looked like a withered man crossing that bridge, but he's not going to betray his country. Let's face it, almost everyone here was under some sort of mental stress, bar Henry (likes cartoons) and Arkady.

Jared's departure was really well done, gut wrenching - one of the best I've seen in some time. And also just some of the small scenes here felt significant too, e.g. the Reagan picture in Gaad's office.

Everyone should have spy meetings under those archways where they met Granny. I was not expecting that twist of the knife with second generation illegals*. Jaysus! As for Elizabeth at the end, that's her through and through. Out of the two of them, she's the hardcore believer.

*And whilst I'm taking this with a grain of salt, they've written themselves into a corner, again. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Nice summation Black Oil. :)

Now we know why Kate never disguised herself when meeting Jared. Did she really love him or was she playing him to agree to becoming an illegal?

I have little sympathy for Nina. She has such a power over men, surely she just has to bat her eyelisd at the oil tanker captain and he will diveert course for the nearest desert island :D

Stan was never going betray Ronnie.

Does this mean Granny is their handler again? Philip's expression at the very end as they sit down at the dinner table. Classic as Elizabeth sees offering her only daughter up for the cause as a way to get close to her...:D

What's the betting Gaad goes home to Walton mountain at weekends..? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some reviews have taken issue with the execution of the Jared scene on the basis that it was a deathbed confession to get some exposition across. I didn't really have an issue with it, tbh. I know Hannibal gets most of the online buzz, but people need to watch this show, too. I don't think Hannibal will be able to top this finale.

Worth checking out the Spy Museum in DC, think I want to visit.

https://twitter.com/IntlSpyMuseum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Supup wrote: »
    Nice summation Black Oil. :)

Now we know why Kate never disguised herself when meeting Jared. Did she really love him or was she playing him to agree to becoming an illegal?

I have little sympathy for Nina. She has such a power over men, surely she just has to bat her eyelisd at the oil tanker captain and he will diveert course for the nearest desert island :D

Stan was never going betray Ronnie.

Does this mean Granny is their handler again? Philip's expression at the very end as they sit down at the dinner table. Classic as Elizabeth sees offering her only daughter up for the cause as a way to get close to her...:D

What's the betting Gaad goes home to Walton mountain at weekends..? ;)

No she did it to gain his trust just as Elizabeth did in this episode.

No the series Margo Martingale is in was picked up for another season so while she might pop up once or twice like this season they will need another stand in handler I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

*And whilst I'm taking this with a grain of salt, they've written themselves into a corner, again. Brilliant.

The writers are basing this on real history as the Soviets did try this with at least one (that is known of) second generation illegal.

I love the little moments on this show. Did anyone notice that in Stan's dream Martha was taking files off the mail robot and putting them in her bag. He's obviously too preoccupied with Nina/Sandra to realise it but on some level, Stan has clearly noticed that Martha is taking files. I bet that blows up in series 3, especially as she has got herself a little ladies Chekhov.

• Advertisement

The Robert Hanssen story is covered in the film, Breach. Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

iguana wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that in Stan's dream Martha was taking files off the mail robot and putting them in her bag. He's obviously too preoccupied with Nina/Sandra to realise it but on some level, Stan has clearly noticed that Martha is taking files. I bet that blows up in series 3, especially as she has got herself a little ladies Chekhov.

I noticed that myself. Thought it was a lovely touch alright. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

If this momentum keeps up this could be the best show on TV. I really cannot wait to see if Paige becomes an illegal and how she will handle it. Roll on Season 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I think the Centre has already started moving in on Paige probably unbeknownst to the embassy guy. It would explain the preachers interest in her.

I think the Centre has already started moving in on Paige probably unbeknownst to the embassy guy. It would explain the preachers interest in her.

Preacher being KGB? Love it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Supup wrote: »
    Preacher being KGB? Love it! :)

Or if not the preacher then maybe that girl she met on the bus who made the introduction in the first place. Of course, she could also be the preacher's daughter and they're working as a team which could push Elizabeth closer to bringing Paige into the fold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

"She was praying Philip! PRAYING!!!!!"

Temaz wrote: »
    "She was praying Philip! PRAYING!!!!!"

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Just caught up on this show and its brilliant. I wonder if Keri Russell will wear a Felicity wig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

the best crack is martha unwittingly helping the russians

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Just caught up on this show and its brilliant. I wonder if Keri Russell will wear a Felicity wig?

She could go bald and I'd still not kick her Ruskie ass out of bed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Can anybody tell me if the the Russian Embassy know that Oleg (KGB Science division) has made contact with Stan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Possible parallel type of source material for the propeller gig: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farewell_Dossier

They are dating in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Was the preacher arrested at the protest Paige went to? I can't remember exactly.

It's possible he's KGB but if he is, would he have gotten himself arrested and possibly bringing attention to himself from the authorities? I know they have almost perfect new identities but protesters always come under suspicion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭squonk

They are dating in real life

Who are dating in real life? Care to add context or even a quote to the message you are referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

squonk wrote: »
    Who are dating in real life? Care to add context or even a quote to the message you are referring to?

Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys I would guess.

Correct. Goggle the two names dating. One does not have to provide links for everything. There was a time when a man was taken on his word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭brian_t

Correct. Goggle the two names dating. One does not have to provide links for everything. There was a time when a man was taken on his word!

squonk didn't ask for links, just referring to the fact that your post didn't have enough information to make sense.

There are several potential 'couplings' in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Would have thought Margot Martindale and Keidrich Sellati myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭squonk

For the dating thing above I immediately thought of Beeman and Nina. I thought that made most sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Has RTE shown last episode yet ? Was not on last Tuesday and not scheduled tomorrow either ; ?<!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭brian_t

whatever76 wrote: »
    Has RTE shown last episode yet ? Was not on last Tuesday and not scheduled tomorrow either ; ?<!

The last part was shown on August 5th as part of a double bill.

Its a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Ouch so I already saw it - for some reason I thought there was one more ; <!

Frank Langella cast in season 3. Source.

Youtube clips from the panel New York Comic Con are blocked.

Season three will take place in 1983 and you can expect the war in Afghanistan to be a big part of it.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/keri-russell-and-matthew-rhys-offer-hints-about-the-americans-third-season#ErSRyZowoHpUyutS.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's a radio host I listen to in the States (Tony Kornheiser) and he was saying yesterday that he's going to be an extra in an episode this season and that he was heading to Long Island today to film the scene he's in.

First footage of season 3 now. Not high res, but enough to get a flavour of what might be going on, including re Paige and Frank Langella.

Second clip is one of their usual stylish teasers.

https://twitter.com/joeweisberg/status/540923521526816768

Wonder who'll be driving it!

Noah Emmerich's 3.07. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just saw an ad for this "Allegiance" A rookie CIA analyst doesn't know that members of his family are part of a Russian sleeper cell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3581654/combined

an NBC Americans?

Back tonight.

Interview with the producers.

Would say it's spoiler free, but avoid if you don't want to risk reading.

Quietly nuanced, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nice introduction back into the show.

That is one lady who is not threatened by muggers. And she cooks and goes to church. Bless.

Back where? Rte?

Started last night in the US. We get it by using magic.

• Advertisement

That was entertaining. But the last scene........
    Could Philip have moved any slower there? Bloody hell. I thought he was going to knock first and politely ask, "Have you killed her yet? If not, I can come back in a few minutes".

Off to a good start. Irish pub and all, but yet again there's a glimpse of an Ireland poster.

That pool scene certainly was Elizabeth, eh? Just dunk her in there. So was the one where she clobbered the FBI. Not sure how often Gaad gets out on the street, but maybe he does when a target might be out there. That motorbike thing was fairly handy timing! Who was she tutoring later on the ep? Obviously she wins wig of the week, no contest.

They've certainly set out some big themes to come. Paige and potential division at home, Gabriel, further loneliness for Stan, I suspect, the CIA and Afghanistan, and the dynamics at the Residence - Oleg's opinions and the new woman's review of assets, I believe she called it. Martha's armed in more than one way.

One of these days we'll have a recap that starts with 'previously on creepy pastors...'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Brilliant opener. So much going on and yet the viewer doesn't feel overwhelmed by it.

The storyline about Paige being indoctrinated and the contrast between what Elizabeth wants and what Philip wants is superbly done. I wonder will Brezhnev's death have any impact on proceedings.

You get the sense that it won't be too long before Beeman starts to get suspicious about Elizabeth and Philip... I'm looking forward to this artist's impression of the female agent!

I'll be keeping an eye on the ratings over the next few weeks. Really hope the show survives for another season after this, at the very least. It deserves to be wrapped up properly and not end too abruptly.

Are the ratings poor? This is so much better than most crap on tv. If Generic "Talent" show 57 survives and this gets canned, I think I might just give up on network tv altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Around the two million mark. Not sure how much of a drop it can afford to take but you'd hope it doesn't go too much lower.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-americans-season-three-ratings-35485/

• Advertisement
Advertisement