Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gun should I buy

Options
  • 24-02-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice from the experts here. Have a problem with crows and magpies on the farm and just looking for advice on whether I should buy a shotgun or a rifle. Leaning towards the shotgun but the bloody magpies stay well out a range most times. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Larsen trap for the magpies, after initial cost, there are no running costs. Less man hours.

For crows and Magpie get a shot gun. Multi purpose for vermin and game.
    Initial cost layout, then maintenance for cartridges and license fees but you'll have yourself a handy tool for the farm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Larsen trap for the magpies, after initial cost, there are no running costs. Less man hours.

For crows and Magpie get a shot gun. Multi purpose for vermin and game.
    Initial cost layout, then maintenance for cartridges and license fees but you'll have yourself a handy tool for the farm etc.

Was thinking of a larsen trap too but you need a magpie from a different area in the centre for it to work properly? .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bird chat split off into it's own thread, here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If i were only allowed one gun in the morning it would be a shotgun. They are very versatile, and would provide me with the best amount of options in terms of game species, and type of shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Build a ladder trap. It will do both. I've two on the go as well as a few larsens. The ladder is much more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Just bought a bettinsloni so ill give that a go and if the magpies are too cute ill get a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Could get a Savage 20 GA/22 mag over under rifle shotgun combo:) Or in 22lr /410
    Reach out and touch them with the .22 mag [or .22lr] and up close and personal dispatch with a 20 GA. Usually liscensed as a rifle here depending on your Super.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shotgun mate. You could be out walking and turn a corner and up gets some crowd or magpies and or a fox may run out in front. This is where the shotgun is the best thing to have.
    Can walk the land all day and have plenty of shots on crowd magpies etc as they fly over head. You could even stay in same spot and wait if you wanted and your bound to have something fly overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gmc999

Where are you based I can call over with my shotgun if you need a hand 😋

Advertisement