Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting birds with a rifle

Options
  • 24-02-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

It's against the law to shoot birds with a rifle. A shotgun is your only option. A single barrel baikal would be a good choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

It's against the law to shoot birds with a rifle. A shotgun is your only option. A single barrel baikal would be a good choice.

Oh no here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Nope!!!!!........do a trawl through the threads and you'll see plenty of government info on the legal pest control of birds using rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

It is illegal to shoot GAME birds with a rifle (as far as I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 richie_braz

It is illegal to shoot any bird. It does not matter if it's a game bird or classed as vermin. Go read the wildlife act for confirmation.

It is illegal to shoot any bird. It does not matter if it's a game bird or classed as vermin. Go read the wildlife act for confirmation.

The Wildlife Act 1976, Section 33

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

(a) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,

(b) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

(2) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure any wild bird or wild mammal with a spring gun, or with tracer shot or with a floating container containing an explosive substance.

(3) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure with a shotgun a protected wild animal other than a hare.

(4) Subject to the foregoing subsections of this section, the Minister may make regulations specifying the type and calibre of firearms and ammunition which may be used to hunt wild birds and wild mammals and providing that firearms and ammunition of any other type and calibre shall not be used to hunt such birds or mammals.

(5) In this section “rifle” includes both a gas-rifle and an air-rifle.

It is only illegal to shoot protected birds and game birds with a rifle.
    According to this, you may shoot vermin birds with a rifle, but it must be a firearm (ie not air or gas rifle) and it must not have a silencer fitted.

• Advertisement

All birds are protected, even ones we consider to be pests. We get a derogation from the E.U to shoot magpies and crow species.

All birds are protected, even ones we consider to be pests. We get a derogation from the E.U to shoot magpies and crow species.

Yes and we can shoot them with a rifle so as long as it is a firearm and not equipped with a suppressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Exactly and if you look a column 4 of the derogation you will see that its states 'rifle' for one method of control.

Exactly and if you look a column 4 of the derogation you will see that its states 'rifle' for one method of control.

Well then I stand corrected. I was told at a NARGC firearms training course two years ago that no birds could be shot with a rifle. They were very adamant about it. I'm pretty sure it was even in the literature they handed out. That's good news so. Time for some magpie bashing :)

Well then I stand corrected. I was told at a NARGC firearms training course two years ago that no birds could be shot with a rifle. They were very adamant about it. I'm pretty sure it was even in the literature they handed out. That's good news so. Time for some magpie bashing :)

I used to think same but go to page 29 of the NARGC Proficiency Handbook if you still have it and its all laid out. :)

• Advertisement

BrownTrout wrote: »
    I used to think same but go to page 29 of the NARGC Proficiency Handbook if you still have it and its all laid out. :)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

That was the nicest thread turn around in a while..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I shouldn't be posting this, just stumbled in as the thread was on top for latest post etc.

What's the difference between rifle and shotgun if the bird ain't tweetin anymore.

Like what's the difference in the two guns when ders a debate going on above on which to use

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

P_Cash wrote: »
    What's the difference between rifle and shotgun if the bird ain't tweetin anymore.
    Not much difference to the bird. Rather a lot to the NWPS and the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Yes and we can shoot them with a rifle so as long as it is a firearm and not equipped with a suppressor.

what about an air rifle with a shrouded barrel? I presume this would be illegal?

O
    sniper83 wrote:
    what about an air rifle with a shrouded barrel? I presume this would be illegal?
    Does a shrouded barrel reduce noise? If so, it's illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Why are you not allowed use a suppressor on a rifle for this?

I don't know man it's just the law, look up section 33 of the Wildlife Act 1976 and you'll see it there

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

I don't know man it's just the law, look up section 33 of the Wildlife Act 1976 and you'll see it there

Found it - thanks for the link,

(1) It shall be an offence for a person to hunt or injure in the course of
    hunting—[2000.] Wildlife (Amendment) Act, 2000. [No. 38.]

(a) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic
    shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it
    incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an
    airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver,
    or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,

(b) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Proably a holdover from the "sporting mentality" .That only poachers and cads would shoot birds with anything silenced.Where in the really real world ,a silenced firearm is a most valueable tool for vermin control.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

What about a silenced shotgun lads ? Like the mossberg hushpower. These are being sold with the advantage that the first shots at pigeons, crows etc do not scare the other birds off for a few hours like normally happens.

Advertisement