Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to activate central-heating in order to top up the boiler pressure.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

mrcheez wrote: »
    OK say I post a job up on tradesmen.ie.

I get 10 guys coming over to give me quotes. They all say they care about their trade.

I've no other recommendation to go on as I know no-one else who has got plumbing work done.

(a) I pick the single guy whose company name is his own name and he assures me he's fully insured and has references etc
    or
    (b) I pick the guy with 20 staff and currently working on several large projects, with an established address. I verify that the other projects are indeed being done by these guys, I do the other background checks etc.

Months roll on.. **** hits the fan. (a) or (b) decide they don't want to comply. Turns out entire job is messed up and has to be redone.

(a) can pretty easily disappear ... (b) can try to disappear, but they're already committed to that 40-apartment building project and the lawyer letter arrives on their shiny secretary's desk. Will they risk that 40-apartment job and rebrand the company name to avoid being found by me? Doubt it.

They can be traced easier if needs be. This is the fundamental point I'm making...

Most one man bands the address for them is there home so not easy to just disappear.

I'd say a vast percentage of plumbers are one man bands. So straight away you could be writing off 60-70% of plumbers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I'd say a vast percentage of plumbers are one man bands. So straight away you could be writing off 60-70% of plumbers

I said this before but I'll reiterate it here...

I wouldn't write off a one man operation if he has proven track-record of giving good advice (and would stick around to see the job through), such as those you can find on boards (although I'd be worried about those that seem to be easily offended!)

As I said there's a "risk", not a "problem" with going for one-man operations as the "risk" of the guy being able to run off is greater, than if he's rooted to a large organisation. Take the example of the other poster who can't contact his plumbers (do they have a website? Office? Why can't he contact them?!? Large place would have all of these.)

So, for those who know good one-man operations, go for those!

For those like me (and it seems, the other poster) who didn't know any plumbers at the time of the job, play it safe by picking the "best of a bad bunch" so that if things go crappy you have somewhere to go knock on their door with the solicitor note.

OK I'm done .. I don't know how to make this any clearer :rolleyes:

If anyone's interested the RGI will be replacing the external filling loop with a "Worcester Keyless Filling Link 7716192610", hopefully this will rectify the issues regarding topping up the boiler. Worcester Bosch were very clear that the device has to be "WRAS-approved".

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/pid_40017/106146/Worcester-Keyless-Filling-Link-7716192610.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If anyone's interested the RGI will be replacing the external filling loop with a "Worcester Keyless Filling Link 7716192610", hopefully this will rectify the issues regarding topping up the boiler. Worcester Bosch were very clear that the device has to be "WRAS-approved".

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/pid_40017/106146/Worcester-Keyless-Filling-Link-7716192610.aspx

Which is just an updated version of this (remember a few pages back).

317901.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Any chance we can have a photo of yourself beside the boiler.

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    Any chance we can have a photo of yourself beside the boiler.

Err... This isn't a dating service, every man deserves a bit of love but I'd have to ask you to look elsewhere for it, thank you.

gary71 wrote: »
    Err... This isn't a dating service, every man deserves a bit of love but I'd have to ask you to look elsewhere for it, thank you.

Treat em mean keep em keen

Advertisement