Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire vs. The Sopranos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

... you know what's so ****ing sublimely fantastic about The Wire... you see startling little snap shots and nothing ever comes of them..
    Like the police chief being spotted in a gay bar or 'the greek' forgetting something in the hotel room which might lead the cops to him..

... oh man it's all kinds of cool.

yea,
    I think it's the season before you see the little kid that kills Omar pretending to be omar after he witnesses a shoot out by him...
    thats what I think is cool too... I will watch it again and notice new things. Sopranos is a one watch pony, if even... it trailed off at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

The Pacific > Band of Brothers............by a country mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I need to see Band of Brothers like I need air. I'm almost ashamed I haven't.

Never watched that one neither

jimpump wrote: »

I got bored with that after two episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

krudler wrote: »
    *cough* Band of Brothers *cough*
    Never actually seen that. :o Will add to my "to watch" list.
    please dont say them shows are 'Lost' or 'Prison Break'

Eh no. I was thinking more along the lines of Six Feet Under, Arrested Development and The West Wing (although the latter did suffer a dip in quality towards the end.) Also possibly Mad Men, if it manages to continue strongly and avoids jumping the shark.

(Personally, I'm also very tempted to suggest Twin Peaks, but that is too much of a love-it-or-hate-it show to be considered!:p)
    im interested to know what ya think are better shows
    I'm not saying any of those shows are better or worse than any of the others. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but are ultimately all brilliant, just in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Just watch it for the love of god, you wont be disappointed, theres a reason its refered to as one of the greatest tv shows ever.
    stop shouting at me

Arrested development is a half hour comedy show, the best ever made... it's not a valid comparison.

feck it! home movies! frisky dingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I need to see Band of Brothers like I need air. I'm almost ashamed I haven't.

do watch it, you can pick it up on dvd for less than 20 quid these days, its one of the best tv shows ever, its 10 episodes and you genuinely feel an attachment to every character in it, sometimes its hard to keep track of whos getting killed and injured in the fighting the first time you watch it as theres so many character names to remember but man is it worth the watch. I've watched it 6 times through in total and would happily watch it again. The production is on another level compared to other tv shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

RichieC wrote: »
    yea,
    I think it's the season before you see the little kid that kills Omar pretending to be omar after he witnesses a shoot out by him...
    thats what I think is cool too... I will watch it again and notice new things. Sopranos is a one watch pony, if even... it trailed off at the end.

I'm gonna come back to The Wire in about 10 years and I know it will give me a whole new experience for sure.

You know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it was being studied in schools a hundred years from now.

So much want.

nah, The Pacific wasnt even close, not a bad show by any means, just a different kind of show to BoB, different war, different types of characters.

• Advertisement

do watch it, you can pick it up on dvd for less than 20 quid these days, its one of the best tv shows ever, its 10 episodes and you genuinely feel an attachment to every character in it, sometimes its hard to keep track of whos getting killed and injured in the fighting the first time you watch it as theres so many character names to remember but man is it worth the watch. I've watched it 6 times through in total and would happily watch it again. The production is on another level compared to other tv shows.

the fact that its pro america war propaganda is a turn off for me, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Never actually seen that. :o Will add to my "to watch" list.

Eh no. I was thinking more along the lines of Six Feet Under, Arrested Development and The West Wing (although the latter did suffer a dip in quality towards the end.) Also possibly Mad Men, if it manages to continue strongly and avoids jumping the shark.

I'm not saying any of those shows are better or worse than any of the others. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but are ultimately all brilliant, just in different ways.

i agree with ya about the west wing,mad men and AD but six feet under was a loada bollox imo

so for reference, everyone who hasnt seen these shows:

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Arrested Development
    Band of Brothers
    The West Wing (I must finish it myself)
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Six Feet Under

do so in a prompt manner, it'll restore your faith in tv, an hour spent watching some sh1te on RTE then saying theres no good tv shows could be spent basking the greatness that is any of the above, you can also add:

Deadwood
    Mad Men
    Californication
    Boardwalk Empire

to the mix, great, no scratch that, amazing tv shows are out there, so dont let the utter drizzling sh1t like reality nonsense and crappy homegrown shows put you off television.

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Arrested Development
    Band of Brothers
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Six Feet Under

do so in a prompt manner, it'll restore your faith in tv, an hour spent watching some sh1te on RTE then saying theres no good tv shows could be spent basking the greatness that is any of the above, you can also add:

Deadwood
    Mad Men
    Californication
    Boardwalk Empire

to the mix, great, no scratch that, amazing tv shows are out there, so dont let the utter drizzling sh1t like reality nonsense and crappy homegrown shows put you off television.

dont forget Ros na Run.........hahahaha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm gonna come back to The Wire in about 10 years and I know it will give me a whole new experience for sure.

You know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it was being studied in schools a hundred years from now.

So much want.
    It's being studied in Harvard. I'm not even joking.

the fact that its pro america war propaganda is a turn off for me, but I enjoyed it a lot.

as opposed to what? pro Nazi propaganda? its about a company of US soldiers, and its one of the rare times Germans arent all depicted as cliche Nazi types,especially in the scenes towards the end when
    the war is over and the germans are surrendering
    actually the Pacific pulls no punches showing some of the atrocities commited by US troops later on in the series, using still alive Japanese pows for target practice and one guy is casually flicking stones into a Japanese soldiers blown apart head, its not pro US stuff in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Arrested development is a half hour comedy show, the best ever made... it's not a valid comparison.

Well that's the problem with things like this; trying to pick out one "greatest TV show ever" is pretty much impossible when you consider there are different types of TV shows you need to compare. Narrowing the focus to exclude comedies and only consider dramas may lead you to the greatest drama ever, but not necessarily the greatest TV show.

Similarly, if you're trying to figure out the greatest album of all time is it fair to compare Revolver with Thriller, considering they're very different types of music? If you exclude one and only consider albums similar to the other then, again, you're narrowing your focus too much.

And the quality of the writing in Arrested Development made it a hell of a lot more than just another "half hour comedy show".

Degag wrote: »

:eek:

Talk about being way off with a prediction... (studied now>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 100 years)

self-facepalm.jpeg

Well that's the problem with things like this; trying to pick out one "greatest TV show ever" is pretty much impossible when you consider there are different types of TV shows you need to compare. Narrowing the focus to exclude comedies and only consider dramas may lead you to the greatest drama ever, but not necessarily the greatest TV show.

Similarly, if you're trying to figure out the greatest album of all time is it fair to compare Revolver with Thriller, considering they're very different types of music? If you exclude one and only consider albums similar to the other then, again, you're narrowing your focus too much.

And the quality of the writing in Arrested Development made it a hell of a lot more than just another "half hour comedy show".

Arrested Development is amazing, subtle yet hilarious comedy and also downright ridiculous but still hilarious. gags that are set up an entire season in advance, stuff that happens in the first episode that referenced in the last one. Its an absolute crime that it was cancelled before its time yet Everybody Loves Raymond was on for a decade and Two and A Half Men is on for years as well.

studying how to sell dope and not get caught by the pigs??? LOL

• Advertisement

as opposed to what? pro Nazi propaganda? its about a company of US soldiers, and its one of the rare times Germans arent all depicted as cliche Nazi types,especially in the scenes towards the end when
    the war is over and the germans are surrendering
    actually the Pacific pulls no punches showing some of the atrocities commited by US troops later on in the series, using still alive Japanese pows for target practice and one guy is casually flicking stones into a Japanese soldiers blown apart head, its not pro US stuff in the slightest.

and that is exactly why i said The Pacific > BoB's
    more graphic and less of the american patriotism crap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

studying how to sell dope and not get caught by the pigs??? LOL
    No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_wire#Academia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the wire is a show that can be watched from start to finish and be enjoyed just as much the next time.

Bunk.....what a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sopranos.

I read somewhere that 'corner boys' were being schooled by watching The Wire but undergraduates being schooled by it!?

I'm not sure if that endorses the show or shows university up for being out of touch when it comes to the what's happening in real life.

I suspect the latter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Arrested Development
    Band of Brothers
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Six Feet Under

Deadwood
    Mad Men
    Californication
    Boardwalk Empire

Throw in Breaking Bad as well.

The Sopranos is better then The Wire.

Fromvert wrote: »

U mad bro

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Fromvert wrote: »

That's bullsh*t, quite patently. The Wire is, by a country mile, the greatest television show ever made

That's bullsh*t, quite patently. The Wire is, by a country mile, the greatest television show ever made

Haha i beat ya to it......but at least we're on the same wave lenght!

the sopranos is good but the the wire is fcukin great....

The Wire is not a good show,...its a great show. - Eamon Dunphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Sopranos wins by a nose, the last season of the Wire (the newspaper stuff anyway) was complete garbage and a waste of time. Paulie Walnuts wasn't in the Wire hence it loses out.

Just finished watching Breaking Bad, must say that is pretty good tv too.

Advertisement