Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Well, that's an odd choice...
    Chris O’Dowd to play Irish sports journalist in Lance Armstrong biopic
    Shooting to begin tomorrow on film based on David Walsh’s book about disgraced cyclist

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/chris-o-dowd-to-play-irish-sports-journalist-in-lance-armstrong-biopic-1.1563172

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    Well, that's an odd choice.../QUOTE]
    All depends on whether he can loose the Roscommon accent for it or not, great actor but I have never heard him with an accent that is not his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Advice on hedge-fighting distributed to the Irish Volunteers
    Hedge-Fighting for Small Units - It will sometimes be possible for a solitary cyclist sniper well posted on a road to enfilade transverse hedges from the road. This would help to frustrate turning movements by small 'parties in the immediate nieghbourhood of the road.

A good cyclist should be able to spring on his machine instantly and sprint off at top speed from such a position when once it became untenable.

Cycles in cases of necessity are not absolutely confined to roads; they can wheel their machines along paths and thus escape across country if cut off. If the cyclists are laying an ambush their safest way of retreat may be across country for some distance and then by cycle on a different road. In that case the best place for their machines to begin with would be the second road.

........I'd be captured at the first try :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Jawgap wrote: »
    Advice on hedge-fighting distributed to the Irish Volunteers

........I'd be captured at the first try :D

Several attempts were made during Easter 1916 to get past the armed OTC Garrison in Trinity College by cycling at speed across College Green. They were unsuccessful...before SRAM Force chains it was impossible to outrun bullets.

• Advertisement

Have been pondering a peaked winter cap. Originally I was just looking at the peaked version of my current Baa Baa merino skullcap but the Belgian style caps and the Craft winter hat have also piqued my interest.

Several attempts were made during Easter 1916 to get past the armed OTC Garrison in Trinity College by cycling at speed across College Green. They were unsuccessful...before SRAM Force chains it was impossible to outrun bullets.

Kevlar tyres would have helped too.....and helmets.....and hi-viz

During de Emergency (WWII for our British viewers) the Cavalry Corps included 14 Cyclist Squadrons. Each Squadron had an establishment of 118 (all ranks), and was organised much like an infantry rifle company. Each Squadron included a number of motor cycles and light lorries in the support role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

History lessons. And the division between Jan and the party bus grows.

Perhaps the bus should be stickied as the quality of both threads is better than what was the single campervan thread.... Just saying is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Idleater wrote: »
    Have you tried turning the blood off and on again?

Richard Ayoade - Paul Kimmage.
    Matt Berry - McQuaid.
    Chris Morris - Verbruggen.

I may have had a lot of coffee this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Richard Ayoade - Paul Kimmage.
    Matt Berry - McQuaid.
    Chris Morris - Verbruggen.

I may have had a lot of coffee this morning.

I don't know who any of those people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Paul Kimmage is a journalist, McQuaid was head of the UCI until recently, and Verbuggen was there before him. All clear now?

Omar Sharif to play McQuaid.........

....oh wait, he was Egyptian, not Moroccan........

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Paul Kimmage is an author and journalist, he is most known for his questions put to Armstrong (the cyclist) during tour de France interviews.

Pat Mc Quaid is the Irishman who was recently beaten in a leadership contest in cycling's governing body.

Hein Verbruggen was president of cycling's governing body during the "Armstrong era"

Hope that helps :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I ride a 175mm crank now, will there be much power difference if I go larger/smaller?!

Harvey Keitel or DeNiro would be a good fit as Kimmage IMO.

John Price (The Kennedys / Pirates of the Caribbean...) as McQuaid.

Christopher Plummber as Verbruggen.

Zyzz wrote: »
    I ride a 175mm crank now, will there be much power difference if I go larger/smaller?!

I fail to see the relevance of this question to the casting of the Lance Armstrong movie.

Also I seem to recall the notion of crank length directly impacting power being discredited?

I fail to see the relevance of this question to the casting of the Lance Armstrong movie.

Also I seem to recall the notion of crank length directly impacting power being discredited?

Apologies, Id cast Enda Kenny as Lance as they're both <snip>

Lol snipped..but you get the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

our local shop says that sports supplements will now be 23% vat rated as opposed to 0%. didnt see this anywhere is it true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

our local shop says that sports supplements will now be 23% vat rated as opposed to 0%. didnt see this anywhere is it true ?

Yes. I think effective from 1 November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

Can't wait to get my teeth into that..

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Have been pondering a peaked winter cap. Originally I was just looking at the peaked version of my current Baa Baa merino skullcap but the Belgian style caps and the Craft winter hat have also piqued my interest.

Well done.
    You have just chosen yourself to be the new organiser for a new Rapha winter hat group buy.
    Yes count me in.
    Thanks

I moved from a 175 to 172.5 and I didnt notice any power loss but a lot of niggling knee things went away.
    I also changed pedals to a wider platform so that may have helped.

bcmf wrote: »
    Well done.
    You have just chosen yourself to be the new organiser for a new Rapha winter hat group buy.
    Yes count me in.
    Thanks

Seconded. Put me down for a country one.

In fairness, the money to run the country has to come from somewhere and if the full rate of VAT didn't apply to cycling related stuff such as this and other trivial things like helmets, other areas - more socially beneficial - might have to bear a higher VAT burden :pac:

In fairness, the money to run the country has to come from somewhere and if the full rate of VAT didn't apply to cycling related stuff such as this and other trivial things like helmets, other areas - more socially beneficial - might have to bear a higher VAT burden :pac:

Must resist....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ah bless.... the first Troll post in the Jan thread.

Ah bless.... the first Troll post in the Jan thread.

Apologies - I just realised - lapdancing posts go in the party bus - mods, please relocate the offending item!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

After my recent encounter with a car I was tempted to buy hi viz neoprene overshoes but.just.couldnt.do.it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

After my recent encounter with a car I was tempted to buy hi viz neoprene overshoes but.just.couldnt.do.it.

We are all proud of you /hug.

Note the way I posted here in the tax thread rather then the Party bus thread where I would have been ex-communicated for use of the H and V words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Note the way I posted here in the tax thread rather then the Party bus thread where I would have been ex-communicated for use of the H and V words.

It doesn't matter where you say it.

Raam wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where you say it.

Damn....I shall close my account and forever hang my head in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well I've the first spin class of the winter booked, going straight into the hardest class and seeing how I get on. Think it's almost entirely female but not sure.

Definitely going in full bib shorts and jersey, don't care if i'm the only one.

Well done.
    Yes count me in.
    Thanks

But I don't even know if I want a Rapha hat? :p

But I don't even know if I want a Rapha hat? :p

This isnt about you. Its about the collective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

You don't know if you want a rapha hat?

how are you gonna look like you're suffering In an epic and cool manner without a strip of the rapha pink to adorn your furrowed brow??

(I'll have a knitted one too please)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

My 4 year old daughter was having a tantrum on the way home today over something inconsequential. She was also riding her balance bike at the same time. When she discovered that she couldn't wail and push the bike at the same time, she hopped off the bike, glared at me and picked the bike up and tossed it into the grass. It was reminiscent of this ...

Tantrum over and having nothing left to throw, she picked up the bike and stomped past my amused face and we went home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have two sets of chartreuse oversocks by Rapha. Pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My 4 year old daughter was having a tantrum on the way home today over something inconsequential. She was also riding her balance bike at the same time. When she discovered that she couldn't wail and push the bike at the same time, she hopped off the bike, glared at me and picked the bike up and tossed it into the grass. It was reminiscent of this ...

Tantrum over and having nothing left to throw, she picked up the bike and stomped past my amused face and we went home.

I would've been gone like a bullet with the bike over my shoulder after he threw it over the rail, if I was the lads standing there! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As my daughter seems to have suddenly taken to her balance bike like a duck to water, and her speed on it has consequently soared, I had to fit a brake to it recently. I asked her which side she wanted the (front) brake lever on. This was a crucial question, which side of the left-hand-front-brake/right-hand-front-brake chasm was she going to fall down on? She chose left hand. I rejoiced internally, it was a very proud moment. She is now officially continental cycling ready.

That combined with her recent antics suggest that she may have a notable cycling career ahead of her. (Howya Miller. Howya Wiggins. Feck off Riis, less of you!)

It depends who you talk to. Some people firmly believe it makes no difference. Tell that to Lennard Zinn though and he'll beat you senseless with his 202.3mm cranks.

doozerie wrote: »
    It depends who you talk to. Some people firmly believe it makes no difference. Tell that to Lennard Zinn though and he'll beat you senseless with his 202.3mm cranks.

Wonder if he pedals through corners.

Raam wrote: »
    Wonder if he pedals through corners.

I vaguely recall reading that he raised the bottom bracket on some of his bikes, one of the joys of being your own frame maker.

He is freakishly tall of course, so he is not representative, but he does seem to have *very* strong opinions on crank length from his own experiences.

doozerie wrote: »
    I vaguely recall reading that he raised the bottom bracket on some of his bikes, one of the joys of being your own frame maker.

He is freakishly tall of course, so he is not representative, but he does seem to have *very* strong opinions on crank length from his own experiences.

What does he say about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Anybody ever done the cycling part of a relay triathlon? A couple of work mates are talking about forming a team for the tryathy next year. The cycle is 80k for the double Olympic distance. Would I look totally out of place with my non aero bog standard roadbikes and normal cycling gear. Also will my family and friends think less of me for mingling with Triathletes ;-)

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have two sets of chartreuse oversocks by Rapha. Pure class.

And how did you deal the derision , the finger pointing and general sneers. Obviously as it was Rapha it was somewhat negated.

detones wrote: »
    Also will my family and friends think less of me for mingling with Triathletes ;-)
    You would be dead to them.
    Now get some sleep you are obviously sleep deprived and spouting nonsense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement