Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Tour de France

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

bazermc wrote: »
    If Sagan doesn't win the stage in Paris tomorrow. Will this be the first time green jersey winner didn't win a single stage ?

Eric Vanderaerden won the green jersey in 1986, without winning a stage.
    I don't know, if there were any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

if nibali beats martin in the time trial today I give up ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Just realised Nibali is Sicilian. There on holidays at the moment, hopefully there'll be a nice buzz around tomorrow evening. Been following him for years, not sure how I didn't pick up on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

If Sagan doesn't win the stage in Paris tomorrow. Will this be the first time green jersey winner didn't win a single stage ?

Hushovd in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Kelly in 1989 - a fabulous Tour for many reasons including Kelly's amazing performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

letape wrote: »
    Kelly in 1989 - a fabulous Tour for many reasons including Kelly's amazing performances.

Cheers. Before my time!

Who the heck is this guy hosting Lemond on tour!

Wonder will he wear yellow trousers for the last stage tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cheers. Before my time!

You should read his book. Its very good (just dont read it with his voice in your head!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Cheers. Before my time!

It was the first tour I remember watching on tv - I was very young!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Cheers. Before my time!
    letape wrote: »
    It was the first tour I remember watching on tv - I was very young!

I feel old now.:(

Although I feel sorry for anyone into cycling that missed out on the 80's.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Eurosport : Watts: Tour de France funnies and fails - http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/watts-tour-france-funnies-fails-110645530.html

not sure if this link will work, posting from my phone.

video of the best and worst moments of Le tour

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭straps

Anyone know where I can buy one of the lion teddy bears they give the yellow jersey rider?

straps wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy one of the lion teddy bears they give the yellow jersey rider?

There's a guy in Texas that has loads.

I started the Tour with €50 in my account with the bookies to play around with during the three weeks, promised myself I wouldn't spend any more than that. After 18 different bets throughout, I finish with ...€50.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!

Erm, multiply your 18 bets together?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

straps wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=credit+lyonnais+lion&_sacat=0&_from=R40

or win a stage of the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Today means the end of this bromance until next year!
    Greg Le Mond & Stefano Bernabino

Bs07zwyIcAEw5kT.jpg:large

BsgGABhIcAASFOF.jpg:large

2iw3doz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Idleater wrote: »
    Erm, multiply your 18 bets together?

Incorrect.

The odds do not equal the probability. In each sporting event the odds do not exactly add up to 1 - the difference is the bookmakers margin.
    On that basis Buffalo would need to know the margin for each of his 18 bets and thus adjust the probability accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Indeed,
    Though the odds looking back after the fact can be expanded into a satisfactory equation?
    Another point would be whether all 18 were placed at the one time (multiplication) or separately (addition).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Delighted for Nibali, he's a quality rider and thoroughly deserves his 3 GT wins. Only for a ridiculous Contador messing things up in 2011, he probably would have won a 2nd Giro.
    He has 7 podiums in his last 8 GT starts.

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Indeed,
    Though the odds looking back after the fact can be expanded into a satisfactory equation?
    Another point would be whether all 18 were placed at the one time (multiplication) or separately (addition).

Separately, and for varying amounts. Some days I put a bet on the stage winner, occasionally I did a head-to-head, and then I had a couple of punts on the overall podium. After all the losses and wins, I find it amusing that I broke exactly even - couldn't have done that if I'd tried!

The Monday after the tour finishes is the most depressing day of the Year!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Monday after the tour finishes is the most depressing day of the Year!

Tour of Wallonie started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Get off the sofa and back out on the bike, you'll feel better...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

unichall wrote: »
    Eurosport : Watts: Tour de France funnies and fails - http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/watts-tour-france-funnies-fails-110645530.html

not sure if this link will work, posting from my phone.

video of the best and worst moments of Le tour

Just watched it. Quality as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Sean Kelly was actually a past master at this, he won his last tour stage and and first Green jersey in 1982, all his subsequent Green Jersey victories were without winning a stage: 1983, 1985, 1989. I remember watching the 1985 tour, Kelly finished second five times!

Sean Kelly was actually a past master at this, he won his last tour stage and and first Green jersey in 1982, all his subsequent Green Jersey victories were without winning a stage: 1983, 1985, 1989. I remember watching the 1985 tour, Kelly finished second five times!

With that in mind, this is a decent read - "Sean Kelly Tour de France blog: I know exactly how Sagan feels"

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/sean-kelly-tour-de-france-blog-i-know-exactly-how-sagan-feels/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

"No seriously, Vinny, I was right behind him. This is what Contador was doing when he went down..."

"Ah Peter, stop, you're crackin' me up. I think I just had a little wee..."

sagan_tasr_r1529-r143-st.ir3-_t600.jpg

IrishPeloton has your definitive answer:
    10 – The number of riders who have won the Green Jersey of points classification winner without winning a stage of the Tour de France – Peter Sagan (2014), Thor Hushovd (2005), Erik Zabel (1998,1999), Sean Kelly (1983, 1985, 1989), Eddy Planckaert (1988), Eric Vanderaerden (1986), Herman Van SPringel (1973), Jean Gracyzk (1958), Jean Forestier (1957), Stan Ockers (1955).

This nugget is astonishing though:
    58 – The number of stages that Peter Sagan has spent in the Green Jersey during his career. The only riders who have spent more time in Green are Erik Zabel (88) and Sean Kelly (67). But both Zabel and Kelly both took part in 14 Tours de France. Sagan has taken part in three.

http://www.irishpeloton.com/2014/07/2014-tour-de-france-for-stats-geeks/

• Advertisement
Advertisement