Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

So what happened in the final round at Doral?

i got no concept whatsoever from the coverage of how he was playing.... from watching it on shot tracker it looked to me like he was throwing caution to the wind and really going for it off the tee... saying that.. i suppose you cant really get a grasp of a players strategy from shot tracker..... but he looked like he played a lot of good golf. But then theres the monumental brain farts on the card too.

anyhoo, the only coverage of his round i saw, during which he holed several birdies & an eagle, was a glimpse of him missing a putt for par on what i think was the 15th... the next player we see is prolonged coverage of jjohnathan vegas sinking a putt for par... he was on -2 at the time... more than 10 shots back...... wtf!?

golf is becoming more & more intolerable to watch - but thats a rant for another day.

so what happened to PH? was he really going for it? or was it another series of brain farts that ruled the day.

His card shows 1 eagle, 3 birds, 3 bogeys and the now obligatory triple.

anyway, despite the +1 final round.. i think this wknd was definate step forward.

Like you I haven't a clue if he was playing well or not, did think he needed a 65/66 to win on Sunday but with the Eagle start it was certainly on!!! He finished 3rd in Doral last year so it is obviously a course he likes, hopefully this is the start of something good....... go on the Harro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

His world ranking has risen 2 places from 37 to 35. Thats progress.

Didn't see much of his final round in Doral, just a duffed chip at the par 3 15th where the ball travelled more up than forward to a close pin position and then his birdie attempt on 18 which stopped just short. Pity about the tripple bogey on 3 after starting with an eagle.

He just needs to eliminate one or two poor holes a round and get his confidence (mojo) back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What he really needs is a new caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

Aidric wrote: »

As much good as Ronan has done for him, that could actually be the quote of the week. I think you've hit the nail on the head personally.

Much of PH's crazy scores have come from silly shot selection as much as anything else. His 7 on Sunday seemed to result from hitting the water off the tee and then trying to hit a 3 wood from the rough to an effectively island green. He didn't come up that far short in the end, but what was his caddy thinking letting hit a 3 wood from the rough to that unlikely target in the first place?

Aidric wrote: »

I haven't seen much of his "stare" in recent times, this may be through a lack of confidence but if he gets this back then he wins majors!! Guaranteed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

sacking the caddy will only lead to difficulties in the home.
    that in turn will have a detrimental effect on his form.
    the young fella that carries his bag was there when he won majors before, therefore its not really an issue.

harro picked up some low lying fruit a few years ago.
    people need to accept this and move on.
    he does not have the ability to challenge and beat golfers within the top 10.
    therefore his victories will be restricted to the singapore open, the beijing open, the pyongyang open etc

ssbob wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of his "stare" in recent times, this may be through a lack of confidence but if he gets this back then he wins majors!! Guaranteed!

the harro stare :D
    give me a break..

conno16 wrote: »
    the harro stare :D
    give me a break..

It's worth at least 4 birdies per round :D

ya maybe when hes playing against his 10-yr old son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

sacking the caddy will only lead to difficulties in the home.
    that in turn will have a detrimental effect on his form.
    the young fella that carries his bag was there when he won majors before, therefore its not really an issue.

harro picked up some low lying fruit a few years ago.
    people need to accept this and move on.
    therefore his victories will be restricted to the singapore open, the beijing open, the pyongyang open etc

The above two paragraphs look as though they've been written by two different people. There is a fair amount of wisdom in the first paragraph whereas the second is childish nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

He beat or equaled Woods, McIlroy, Westwood, Stricker, Casey, Kaymer, McDowell and Mickelson at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

The king of the double bogeys ......
    Looks like he's out of 1st major after day 1
    Enough birdies but 2 doubles.......ffs
    Something's got to give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

It was on the news that PH had a neck injury...and if it wasn't for it being the Masters...he would have pulled out of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

wait for the excuses .......his wrist was a little sore etc etc.... he just dont have it no more!!!!simple as that but he or any of his team have not got the bottle to come out and say it.
    until ph says that his form has turned to xxxxxx and he gets back to basics we will cont. to hear excuses im afraid..
    btw, get in there rory,you lil' beaut!!!

just heard there that his neck is all of a sudden sore...well well....what a surprise. funny that he didnt mention that a mere 24 hrs ago.. i suppose that we will just have to put up and listen to this tripe for a while longer .at this stage, flood should sack ph!!!ph is ruining his chances of getting another bag to carry!!!haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

sxt wrote: »
    It was on the news that PH had a neck injury...and if it wasn't for it being the Masters...he would have pulled out of the tournament

Did PH not have a sore neck in the days leading up to his last win in The Open??????? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Parky2010

Yup hurt the neck warming up apparently, might pull out tomorrow too depends on how the neck is, real pity for PH. As he said he was happy with everything, prep, game etc. Unfortunate about the neck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Parky2010 wrote: »
    Yup hurt the neck warming up apparently, might pull out tomorrow too depends on how the neck is, real pity for PH. As he said he was happy with everything, prep, game etc. Unfortunate about the neck!

At you taking the piss or what, he always says he's happy with everything no matter what ****e he plays. It's that positive thinking crap his mind gurus feed him.

His main problems are his inability to control his driver, horrendous course management decisions (mainly on par 5's) and a ****wit caddy who's nothing more than a yes man!

f22 wrote: »
    At you taking the piss or what, he always says he's happy with everything no matter what ****e he plays. It's that positive thinking crap his mind gurus feed him.

His two main problems are hid inability to control his driver, horrendous course management decisions (mainly on par 5's) and a ****wit caddy who's nothing more than a yes man!

He always says he's stuff to work on etc, never said anything like that coming into this week, he's never been the best driver in the world anyway, even when he won majors he sprayed the ball, always seems to cock up on the par 5's nowadays agree with that, can't be that bad if he's won 3 majors with him :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Did PH not have a sore neck in the days leading up to his last win in The Open??????? ;)

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭rednik

My neck is killing me just watching him at the moment.

fullstop wrote: »
    No.

:D

rednik wrote: »
    My neck is killing me just watching him at the moment.

Try the Ronan flood physio technique
    Nod your head forward and back in a rocking fashion till the pain eases or until you fall asleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

MiniGolf wrote: »

Not such a daft post. He was struggling with a wrist injury and couldn't practice in run up to Birkdale.

He also had a sore neck last year around the time of the Johor Open so could be it's a recurring problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Not such a daft post. He was struggling with a wrist injury and couldn't practice in run up to Birkdale.

He also had a sore neck last year around the time of the Johor Open so could be it's a recurring problem.

His biggest recurring problem in the last year is keeping doubles and triples off his card.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Starting to rival G. Murphy in the horror show moments ;)

f22 wrote: »
    His biggest recurring problem in the last year is keeping doubles and triples off his card.

Agreed
    I'd love to see a stat on doubles + per round
    He'd be way up top for a player ranked in worlds best 50'players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭Trampas

What happened to the saying "Beware of the injured golfer". Not in PH case

I think PH should change his golf ball supplier as the current one seems to have a magnet to water

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

he's had a neck issue going back years.

remember ryder cup '08?

padraig-harrington_1211519c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

From PGA website

A real pain in the neck

By Melanie Hauser, PGATOUR.COM Correspondent
    AUGUSTA, Ga. — Padraig Harrington never got warmed up Thursday morning.
    In fact, he almost didn’t make it to the first tee.
    Harrington was swinging left-handed to loosen up when he felt the pain. He left range to get his neck worked on, made it to the tee and shot 77.
    harrington123.jpg Harrington

"It just kind of clicked and I’m not able to move to my right,” he said. "… I went back in, I didn’t get a warm‑up really at all. I spent about two minutes on the putting green and I really couldn’t do my warm‑up at all because I had to get back out and get treatment and all that.”
    He didn’t take any painkillers.
    "I was hoping it would go away, it actually got worse on the course,” said the three-time major champ. "Maybe I should have taken the pain killers. There you go. It didn’t cross my mind.
    "But I couldn’t keep my head in position at impact. I had to come up on all my shots. And when you’re doing that you can hit it right and left.”
    Harrington did birdie the fifth to get to 1 under but bogeyed the sixth and double-bogeyed the seven to jump to 2 over at the turn. He bogeyed his way around Amen Corner, birdied Nos. 15 and 16, then doubled the 18th.
    He knows it will take a miracle to make the cut.
    "Absolutely,” he said. "You know, it’s tough when you can’t hit the shots, yeah. It would be just hard enough to make up the numbers, but as it is, you know, we’ll see how it goes.”
    This isn’t the first time he’s been troubled with neck pain. It started at the 2002 PGA at Hazeltine.
    "It’s very much under control now,” he said. " I do a lot of work on it. And it doesn’t give me too much trouble during the year. But it’s always going to happen. You know, sometimes. And I would love to tell you that there’s more I could do, let’s say, aside from cutting my head off.”
    But there isn’t. And, no, withdrawing wasn’t an option.
    "I wouldn’t,” he said. "That’s just my nature. I would always have a go. But it wasn’t much fun.”
    The toughest thing? He felt like he could contend this year.
    "It’s very disappointing,” he said. "I prepared very well, I was in good form, but it was not to be. Such is life."

• Advertisement

SEORG wrote: »
    From PGA website

A real pain in the neck

By Melanie Hauser, PGATOUR.COM Correspondent
    AUGUSTA, Ga. — Padraig Harrington never got warmed up Thursday morning.
    In fact, he almost didn’t make it to the first tee.
    Harrington was swinging left-handed to loosen up when he felt the pain. He left range to get his neck worked on, made it to the tee and shot 77.
    harrington123.jpg Harrington

"It just kind of clicked and I’m not able to move to my right,” he said. "… I went back in, I didn’t get a warm‑up really at all. I spent about two minutes on the putting green and I really couldn’t do my warm‑up at all because I had to get back out and get treatment and all that.”
    He didn’t take any painkillers.
    "I was hoping it would go away, it actually got worse on the course,” said the three-time major champ. "Maybe I should have taken the pain killers. There you go. It didn’t cross my mind.
    "But I couldn’t keep my head in position at impact. I had to come up on all my shots. And when you’re doing that you can hit it right and left.”
    Harrington did birdie the fifth to get to 1 under but bogeyed the sixth and double-bogeyed the seven to jump to 2 over at the turn. He bogeyed his way around Amen Corner, birdied Nos. 15 and 16, then doubled the 18th.
    He knows it will take a miracle to make the cut.
    "Absolutely,” he said. "You know, it’s tough when you can’t hit the shots, yeah. It would be just hard enough to make up the numbers, but as it is, you know, we’ll see how it goes.”
    This isn’t the first time he’s been troubled with neck pain. It started at the 2002 PGA at Hazeltine.
    "It’s very much under control now,” he said. " I do a lot of work on it. And it doesn’t give me too much trouble during the year. But it’s always going to happen. You know, sometimes. And I would love to tell you that there’s more I could do, let’s say, aside from cutting my head off.”
    But there isn’t. And, no, withdrawing wasn’t an option.
    "I wouldn’t,” he said. "That’s just my nature. I would always have a go. But it wasn’t much fun.”
    The toughest thing? He felt like he could contend this year.
    "It’s very disappointing,” he said. "I prepared very well, I was in good form, but it was not to be. Such is life."

Seems genuinely p*ssed off, "aside from cutting my neck off" is pretty vivid language!!

I think the whole of Ireland is annoyed TBH, who knows if he shoots 68/69 today, he has a chance of making the cut and you just ever know how hard they will make the course......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

he's had a neck issue going back years.

remember ryder cup '08?

padraig-harrington_1211519c.jpg

Thats the last punter who backed him.......
    he has had a neck problem for a couple of years now and its flared up again. But lets not that stop him being written off all together:rolleyes:

PH stats from yesterday

GIR
    13 of 18
    72.22%

Fairways
    8 of 14
    57.14%

Sand saves
    0 of 2
    0%

putts
    35 Strokes

Driving distance
    280.50 yards

Didn't realise you move your head on a putt

Trampas wrote: »
    PH stats from yesterday

GIR
    13 of 18
    72.22%

Fairways
    8 of 14
    57.14%

Sand saves
    0 of 2
    0%

putts
    35 Strokes

Driving distance
    280.50 yards

Didn't realise you move your head on a putt

Thats crazy he had 13 putts for birdie......... and 0 from 2 sand saves is unlike him!!

PH to go low today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

He didn't get any time on the practise green before hand, And he didn't warm up on the range before hand... He then rushed to the tee! Can only speak for myself but as an amature I would struggle to settle into a round and play my best if I say... Slept in on a Saturday morning and just made it to the course in time to tee off. Injuries aside.

I can only imagine a pro would be thrown well outa sync. Especially when there routines are so important. Especially with the greens being so tough at Augusta. I imagine getting the feel for them before hand would be vitally important! So missing his putting practise was probally the main problem yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Jaysus there's a lot of negativity around today :rolleyes:

If PH says he was injured and it was affecting his game then thats the way it is. For someone who is very technical about his swing and putting stroke, even a slight injury like that can throw you off and annoy you.

I've been very critical of him in the past but I feel sorry for him this week as he was in good form and seemed very positive about his game only for an injury like this to happen. I wouldn't be writing his obituaries yet, he definitely has a couple of good majors in him this year imo.

IrishGolfDesk Brian Keogh
    Padraig Harrington has confirmed that will tee it up in the 2nd rd of the Masters despite a neck injury.

A boy ya Padraig, hopefully a low one today

Excuses lads, excuses.... ph has them all. if his neck was as bad as he has said he couldnt play 18 holes at Augusta, he would just nr.
    If he shot a low score his "injury" wouldnt have been such a talking point.
    He was spraying the ball everywhere with power. if you have a bad strain on the neck, there is no way you could hit that ball like he was. Im not saying he doesnt have a slight pain but to blame his +5 solely on his blooming neck is a cop out..........

He hit 13 gir yesterday and shoots +5 to me you don't hit than amount of greens with a bad neck. his putter is the issue with 35 putts.

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote: »
    Excuses lads, excuses.... ph has them all. if his neck was as bad as he has said he couldnt play 18 holes at Augusta, he would just nr.
    He was spraying the ball everywhere with power. if you have a bad strain on the neck, there is no way you could hit that ball like he was. Im not saying he doesnt have a slight pain but to blame his +5 solely on his blooming neck is a cop out..........

Fair enough Ms, I'm sure you're right. You sound like an expert anyway.

Trampas wrote: »
    He hit 13 gir yesterday and shoots +5 to me you don't hit than amount of greens with a bad neck. his putter is the issue with 35 putts.

Perhaps, but stats don't tell everything. If he hit that many putts, his approaches must have been a long way from the hole and so a greater number of putts are likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KKmanok

Martin567 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but stats don't tell everything. If he hit that many putts, his approaches must have been a long way from the hole and so a greater number of putts are likely.
    From what I saw on Sky interactive (saw missed puts om 12, 13, 15 and 16) he hit some really nice approaches and gave himselft really good opportunities but he is just not taking them

good man martin, im as much of an expert as you are,I suppose

only im saying ph wont win another thing worth talking about,unless he plays in some island off Thailand against some part time golfers,

your saying that he will come good,,next week or the week after!!

PH is proving me right atm!! dont you think.

only im saying ph wont win another thing worth talking about,unless he plays in some island off Thailand against some part time golfers,

It looks like he is. You must be very proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Christ you're talking some ****e. If he angers you so much don't bloody watch him or listen to him. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

fullstop wrote: »
    Christ you're talking some ****e. If he angers you so much don't bloody watch him or listen to him. Simple.

+1

This is a thread about ph,isnt it. comments good or bad?????

I didnt realise that only comments which heaped praise on him and willing him to shoot a 63 were the only comments allowed.

sorry............

This is a thread about ph,isnt it. comments good or bad?????

I didnt realise that only comments which heaped praise on him and willing him to shoot a 63 were the only comments allowed.

sorry............

Not true at all. I didn't hear anyone heaping praise on him for shooting 77 in Round 1 or for missing the cut. He obviously still has quite a way to go to get back to his best. I just don't see how commenting that he'll never win another thing unless he plays on some distant island against a few part timers adds anything to any discussion. I know there were a sizeable number of people who definitively stated that he would never win a major in the years before 2007. I can only imagine you were one of them.

I wonder do other countries have similar discussions about their top players? Would a South African website have people making similar snide and patronising remarks about Ernie Els & Retief Goosen who are also some way off their best and looking unlikely to win another major? Maybe they would as you probably have a few peers in every country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

duplicate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Martin567 wrote: »
    Not true at all. I didn't hear anyone heaping praise on him for shooting 77 in Round 1 or for missing the cut. He obviously still has quite a way to go to get back to his best. I just don't see how commenting that he'll never win another thing unless he plays on some distant island against a few part timers adds anything to any discussion. I know there were a sizeable number of people who definitively stated that he would never win a major in the years before 2007. I can only imagine you were one of them.

I wonder do other countries have similar discussions about their top players? Would a South African website have people making similar snide and patronising remarks about Ernie Els & Retief Goosen who are also some way off their best and looking unlikely to win another major? Maybe they would as you probably have a few peers in every country.

every country has people who are critical and negative about their top sports people, especially when they dip a bit in form.
    Some people by nature are negative, Harrington had a lot of critics before he won a major i.e. that he didn't have the bottle to close out a major, that he was always coming second in tournaments (found out recently that Jack Nicklaus came 2nd in 19 majors).

The bookies continue to make Harrington in the top 10 most likely winners in every major he starts in.

Nobody knows if he will win again, or when, but he is a proven entity, he has demonstrated the qualities needed to win before, and maybe he will again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement