Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

STIG83 wrote: »
    Any word when the Kilcullen Service Area will be built?
    Ground work and poles are up for signage and bridge constructed.

One can only assume soon as the ground seems to be levelled off in preparation.

It's going to be an Applegreen yes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It's going to be an Applegreen yes?

You seem to know the answer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

I thought it was a Topaz and a Burger king. mmmmmmmm.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The sinking at the overpasses at Paulstown seem to be coming back again, they were repaired a few years ago:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Topaz, of course, as Denis O'Brien owns them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Topaz, of course, as Denis O'Brien owns them now.

I will put aside my prejudice for this particular Topaz due how unbelievably useful this will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I will put aside my prejudice for this particular Topaz due how unbelievably useful this will be.

Regardless of the fact that it will cost €7 for a tall Re.Store coffee 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Definitely Topaz according to the Sunday Business Post, not sure what franchise for the restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

radharc wrote: »
    Definitely Topaz according to the Sunday Business Post, not sure what franchise for the restaurant

link?

tonc76 wrote: »
    link?

I read it on the SBP.

• Advertisement

What a situation the M9 is now in regarding the provision of services:

Junction 2/3 (KILCULLEN): Official MSA to be opened by end of 2015, Topaz are the preferred bidder.

Junction 5 (CARLOW SOUTH): Topaz off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 6 (MILFORD): Applegreen off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 7 (PAULSTOWN): Private developer has received full planning permission from ABP for off-line station.

So 2 confirmed permissions and 2 with ABP in the space of 60km! Obviously assume Topaz would drop J5 if they are selected for the NRA tender.

Junction 2/3 (KILCULLEN): Official MSA to be opened by end of 2015, Topaz are the preferred bidder.

Junction 5 (CARLOW SOUTH): Topaz off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 6 (MILFORD): Applegreen off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 7 (PAULSTOWN): Private developer has received full planning permission from ABP for off-line station.

So 2 confirmed permissions and 2 with ABP in the space of 60km! Obviously assume Topaz would drop J5 if they are selected for the NRA tender.
    Your assumption is that The Greedy get less greedy?

Not in this world pal !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

D Trent wrote: »

Not in this world pal !

No, I'd say he assumes that they realise that cannibalising their own traffic is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seems total overkill. And nothing planned around Kilkenny or south of that? Least there they'd be a big local trade as well as from the motorway.

Not in this world pal !

Thing is there wouldn't be the business there for all so close to eachother so I don't think it's greed, just bad business. Services at every junction make no sense and if all these are built, they'll be all half empty most days.

Cones have been placed northbound and southbound on the M9 at the new services slips, also signs indicating haard shoulders are closed.

Hopefully this will be the start of the construction of the actual services.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Am I the only one to notice the amount of dips in the road? With some signage warning of the problem. Up around Kilkenny mostly. The last time I passed that way they were digging on the hard shoulder on an embankment for some reason

rameire wrote: »
    Cones have been placed northbound and southbound on the M9 at the new services slips, also signs indicating haard shoulders are closed.

Anyone know will it be Topaz or Applegreen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone know will it be Topaz or Applegreen ?

Hopefully AG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just a thought with the new stretch of M11 opening.

Instead of having built the M9, should we have simply built a motorway from Waterford to Enniscorthy and tie in with the M11.

It would have given Waterford motorway access to Dublin and would have helped take pressure off the Naas dual carriageway. Would have been a lot cheaper too.

• Advertisement

Instead of having built the M9, should we have simply built a motorway from Waterford to Enniscorthy and tie in with the M11.

It would have given Waterford motorway access to Dublin and would have helped take pressure off the Naas dual carriageway. Would have been a lot cheaper too.

But what about Carlow and Kilkenny?

Never mind that the N11 into Dublin is even more congested than the M7/Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

But what about Carlow and Kilkenny?

Both glorified towns, give them both a WS2 bypass (if even) and move on
    Never mind that the N11 into Dublin is even more congested than the M7/Naas Road.

Sort the hippies out by (i dunno) ignoring them with a proper motorway through glen and bobs your uncle

Sort the hippies out by (i dunno) ignoring them with a proper motorway through glen and bobs your uncle

If only!

The restrictions in the Glen on "environmental" grounds are the most bizarre ever perpetrated in the name of....basically nothing!

Your insults to CW and KK are noted and rejected...

The NRA did an analysis of both and went with the M9, and rightly so. It serves a far greater swath of the country. The N11 skirts the Coast for a lot of it's journey and no one live in the sea. The M9 doubles as a link to the midlands and beyond, the M11 mainly Dublin.
    And how would it have been cheaper considering its a longer distance? The M9 was the obvious choice. Terrain was easier too.
    South of Arklow stretches of the M11 are often empty. One could argue these were overkill (I wouldn't as complete infrastructure is a good thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

My other thought is whether the M9 should have been realigned the enter Dublin along the N81 ?

My other thought is whether the M9 should have been realigned the enter Dublin along the N81 ?

Nice idea but the terrain would be difficult and go through some scenic areas. Also no large towns in west Wicklow but would have been a nice weight off the Naas road.

rameire wrote: »

False alarm, cones are gone and grass has been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

That was under strong consideration about 20 years ago. The N11 would have gone on the West side of Enniscorthy rather than the east. It would have meant that Waterford - Rosslare (present N25) would have been (mostly) motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

looks like the junction 6 station is no more
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244827.htm

• Advertisement

linny wrote: »
    looks like the junction 6 station is no more
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244827.htm

Made no sense once the one at Paulstown has started and one at kilcullen whenever they decide to crack on with.

Advertisement