Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cienciano wrote: »
    I drive a rover and I'm not a grandad. But I do like driving it with string back driving gloves and it picks up radio norwich perfectly

By now you should like Lexi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Cienciano wrote: »
    I drive a rover and I'm not a grandad. But I do like driving it with string back driving gloves and it picks up radio norwich perfectly

But those 75s were desperate looking yokes AND Rover had to the cheek to use a totally random number plate size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you'd drive a Ford Focus but wouldn't drive a Lexus is250 because a Focus has either style or build quality or style but the Lexus is250 has neither.

No offence mate, but you're talking through your hole.

My own list would be:
    Renault
    Fiat
    Alfa Romeo
    Rover

You took the words right out of my mouth, I would add vauxhall/opel to that list. I am an ex pat and drive a is250 se-l, to say a focus daysul is better than it is a bit of a joke, but hey ho.

saw about 3 broken down vauxhalls on the motorways here today in England. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭flutered

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    BMWs are too common these days to be considered a prestige badge, at least in this country. :D

While FIAT = FixItAgainTony

here abouts they say, the only car to put you back on your feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zcott wrote: »
    But those 75s were desperate looking yokes AND Rover had to the cheek to use a totally random number plate size!

The 75's are superb combination of english refinement and german engineering. With Wings loaded up in the 6cd changer in the glovebox, it doesn't get any better than What Cars-Car of the year 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

To write off the French means that you'd write off the likes of the 205 gti.
    To write off fiat, means that you write off the likes of the 131 abarth or the coupe 20vt
    To write off Alfa means writing off the spider, the sud and what many recognise as the greatest six cylinder engine
    To write off Renault means no Clio Williams.

A motor enthusiast! On a motoring forum! Are you on crystal meth?

Carry on brandboys. Sure that Jap Yamaha Toyota 2000Gt is Awful looking hape, and they didn't release a post 2008 daysel version!!!! What were they thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Name any make/model of car that doesnt give some sort of trouble...:rolleyes:
    Tbh ask any good independent Mechanic/Garage and they'll tell you some of the horror stories of moderns cars today....:eek:....after hearing them you'll be on your bike...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'd never drive a saab, woeful oul yokes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Reluctantly bought a citroen a few years back due to an impending new arrival and have had no issues with it in 100000km. I was warned by family that it would break my heart and wallet.

I have work colleagues who have been left traumatised by their experienced with Peugeot cars, electrics in particular. I wouldn't buy one for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

mickeyk wrote: »
    Reluctantly bought a citroen a few years back due to an impending new arrival and have had no issues with it in 100000km. I was warned by family that it would break my heart and wallet.

I have work colleagues who have been left traumatised by their experienced with Peugeot cars, electrics in particular. I wouldn't buy one for that reason

Had a C5 with 270k miles and she was the most comfortable car I ever drove!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Fords... have driven loads and loads of cars. Fords always feel tinney and cumbersome. Most Japanese car makes. Porsche cause the owners are all idiot wanna-bes. Have owned a few French ones and never had an issue. BMW's I simply do not like the styling at the moment but would LOVE an i8. Audi I really enjoy driving, have 4..;)

Bentley are over priced, Jeep too expensive in Ireland. Chevy cars are crap, love the Tahoe though. Mercedes are really starting to up their game styling wise (thanks California design studio).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Until recently I would have said any VAG cars but I've been driving an A3 a lot recently and, to be fair I can see why people like them and it is actually a good car. However, I hate the "" which is for the most part made up of people who cream themselves at the sight of a car with the 1.9 coal fired engine and cheap crappy coil overs. I want to make sure that I'm never associated with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wouldn't touch some of the Great Wall, Ssangyon and Mahindra shoite you get here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was on the verge of buying a new BMW 5 Series in 2006 after my SSIA cashed but after the worst customer experience of my life I didn't. Hate the brand with a passion ever since. The missus has a Mini Cooper D John Works Edition which is just a pleasure to drive, but it annoys the hell out of me giving money to the BMW garage that service it. And no, I don't normally suffer from rage/anger issues! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's no brand/marque I would rule out - but there are lots of models I would.

I tend to look at the drivers of the cars and decide if I am (or 'want' to be) that type of driver.....

In that vein I'd never driver drive.....

a Skoda Yeti - not until I have grandkids
    a Skoda Octavia - unless I take up taxi driving or I retire and take up golf
    a BMW 3-Series - unless I become more of a twat
    a BMW 5-Series - unless I become an older twat and buy a lot of beige clothes and yellow jumpers
    a Ford Mondeo - unless I get a job as a sales rep

......bit worried about all the Peugeot-'hate' in this thread as I'm picking up a new 508 in the next week!! Saying that, I had one for an extended 48hr test drive and it drives beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

a focus diesel......

not saying its a good car but just the newer fords im starting to like... as with mustang etc.

Really thought you were some type of passionate car enthusiast till you revealed your simply a pipe and slippers type driver. lol!

I'd consider most cars bar Renault, Peugeot and Citroen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I had a good few Peugeots. Never had any problems and I put 200k miles on a 406.

Only cars I would stay clear of is fiat , Alfa due to the dads numerous problems with an 156

And any sansong things

CptMackey wrote: »
    I had a good few Peugeots. Never had any problems and I put 200k miles on a 406.

Only cars I would stay clear of is fiat , Alfa due to the dads numerous problems with an 156

And any sansong things

The reason I went for the Peugeot is because the wife has one (a 508) and it's been a hassle-free few years. The only criticism I've had is that it's a bit under-powered at 1.6l - hence me going for the 2.0l.

Had an Alfa 156 years ago - by far my favourite car to drive. I sold it before it became a hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I always said I'd stay clear of anything French, I ended up being dumped with a ex work citroen van and it broke and went to scrapy , I started new job and needed a car in a hurry and bought the monkeysnapper official worst car I ever owned , a Peugeot partner car, had it 8 months, went to scrapy . But it's ok we learnt our lesson, we broke the bank and went out to buy a citroen grand picasso . ....so far so good .

Have to say our citroen is a 09 and I own a audi a4 avant 03 and the audi drives beautifully , I'm not holding my breath with the citroen .

The French cars I've ever driven just don't feel of quality in gearbox and clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I think all brands will come on the list at some point. Makers lose their way for a while, some for a few years and some for many years, but most of them will come back around. Even Mercedes lost their way from around 2000 until recent years. Renault went through a horrible time from some time in the early nineties until recent years as well. Their reputation is in tatters because of this.

VW are going through a bad time at the moment, producing some woeful engines. Skoda were a very poor car until taken over by VAG and are now, while not great, at least decent. Ford used to be boring but bullet-proof. Now they're just boring. Rover used to be a luxury brand. I have fond memories of my P6. Rolls Royce have a rep for luxury but the 80s and 90s Rollers were sh¡te.

In light of the above, I would never rule out a marque. Although I could never see me taking money out of my pocket for a SSSSSaannggyong. :)

• Advertisement

I'd never buy a SSSS****eyong as long as Bill Cullen is selling them......

......even if he stopped selling them, I'd probably still not buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

The first two cars I had were FIATs and I would never buy another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I always tend to lean towards Japanese cars which never go wrong. My Mazda has been my favourite and most fun/reliable by a long shot. Personally I'd avoid VW, always had a dislike for the uniform, unremarkable shapes of most the cars and interiors. Oh and Fords..

*sorry op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Hard to pick a car brand without at least one or two interesting cars in their range. The poster who listed a load of brands he didn't like including BMW, Lexus and Alfa and then told us he drives a Focus diesel is delusional.
    I think Fords are horrible cars, yellow pack cheap and nasty interiors but would still love a Fiesta ST or a Focus RS. Same goes for most brands. I never drove a peugeot I liked until earlier this year when I had a 508 for a couple of months and it was surprisingly good to drive and a very nice place to sit in.
    I suppose people will have opinions on brands based on personal experience but I love cars in general so find it hard to hate any particular brand.

maddness wrote: »
    Hard to pick a car brand without at least one or two interesting cars in their range. The poster who listed a load of brands he didn't like including BMW, Lexus and Alfa and then told us he drives a Focus diesel is delusional.
    I think Fords are horrible cars, yellow pack cheap and nasty interiors but would still love a Fiesta ST or a Focus RS. Same goes for most brands. I never drove a peugeot I liked until earlier this year when I had a 508 for a couple of months and it was surprisingly good to drive and a very nice place to sit in.
    I suppose people will have opinions on brands based on personal experience but I love cars in general so find it hard to hate any particular brand.

How is he delusional :confused::confused: He just answered the question :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    How is he delusional :confused::confused: He just answered the question :rolleyes:

Because of what he said

But that's just me... dont like the above because it either has no real style or have shoite build quality.

Focus diesel has real style compared to an Alfa??? Or has better build quality than a Lexus ???

maddness wrote: »
    Because of what he said

But that's just me... dont like the above because it either has no real style or have shoite build quality.

Focus diesel has real style compared to an Alfa??? Or has better build quality than a Lexus ???

My problem is that you called him delusional. He was asked for his opinion, which he gave. How does that make him delusional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Jawgap wrote: »
    In that vein I'd never driver drive.....

a Skoda Yeti - not until I have grandkids
    a Skoda Octavia - unless I take up taxi driving or I retire and take up golf
    a BMW 3-Series - unless I become more of a twat
    a BMW 5-Series - unless I become an older twat and buy a lot of beige clothes and yellow jumpers
    a Ford Mondeo - unless I get a job as a sales rep

......bit worried about all the Peugeot-'hate' in this thread as I'm picking up a new 508 in the next week!! Saying that, I had one for an extended 48hr test drive and it drives beautifully.

Uh oh. Did you not hear all 508s are driven by pricks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

To answer the question; no.
    There has not been a post-2007 car I can think of that interests me, and that I could realistically afford, though.
    I'm a bit of an odd cookie in that I'd drive a Rover 620i over a 5 series. I like the generally unloved stuff.

The most common answers on here seem to be the French stuff. People are forgetting lots of gems from these marques.
    Renault; Safrane, Vel Satis, 25, Fuego etc
    Citroen; XM, CX, DS, ID etc
    Peugeot; 205 GTI, or anything with the Peugeot GTI badge.

The French make some of the most comfortable cars in every league. It's no surprise Car of the Year has been won so many times by a French car maker. The ph1 Clio, if I'm not mistaken won the award in 90 or 91. That car was miles ahead of all of its rivals at its launch.

Also, I work at a main dealer. None of the mechanics drive the marque. None of the salesmen drive them either bar demos. In saying that, if I could realistically afford one, I'd buy one. They have some of the very few post 2007 cars I would own.

Also, has nobody on here ever lusted over a Rover SD1 3500 V8!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Kaiser D wrote: »

YES!!! It would have to be a series 2 with a V8 and manual 'box :cool:

Something like this

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C513302

or this

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C529500

or this

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C508239

Unfortunately manuals are hard to come by :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Anything French or small and underpowered really but yesterday I had the opportunity to sit in a Citroen C6 fully loaded and I have to say it was a nice place to be. Very comfortable, a lot of options with satnav, head up display, BT, powerful and clear sound system, even a switch on the back seat console to move the front passenger seat frontward and backward, I thought that was very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If Im looking at cars, Im not sure that I would actively not buy any of the following, but they would not be at the forefront of my thinking and in all likelihood I wont be buying one of them:

Fiat
    VW
    Skoda
    Citroen
    Renault
    Peugeot
    Kia
    Hyundai
    Dacia
    Opel

There are very few cars from those manufacturers that appeal to me in any way (perhaps a vRS Octavia, or an OPC Astra or something like that). Im sure they are perfectly fine cars, but just not my cup of tea.

Truth be told, there are very cars on the road that actually interest me full stop. I have bought Honda for most of my driving life and I really dont see that changing any time soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

a focus diesel......

not saying its a good car but just the newer fords im starting to like... as with mustang etc.

Is that a 1.6 diesel by any chance, the same engine fitted to Fiats, Peugeots, Citroens, Volvos......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

swarlb wrote: »
    Is that a 1.6 diesel by any chance, the same engine fitted to Fiats, Peugeots, Citroens, Volvos......

Thats why i said not saying its a good car, i dont think its the best focus, but the newer fords im liking.... i know its a peugeot engine

They also put them in mazda, Suzuki and mini dont forget !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Thats why i said not saying its a good car, i dont think its the best focus, but the newer fords im liking.... i know its a peugeot engine

They also put them in mazda, Suzuki and mini dont forget !

I was not aware of those three other makes. The point I was trying to make, is that there is such a crossover these days between makes, that it's almost a pointless argument trying to determine 'which car maker is best choice'.
    As an example, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Despatch, Fiat Ducato, Fiat Scudo, Citroen Relay, Fiat Scudo, Opel Combo, Fiat Doblo....etc
    Who made the above, depending on the model, they are all virtually the same car/van with a different badge. You could also throw Ford into the mix as they supply and use engines from the above list.
    You'd need to go back a long way, possibly to the late 70's or even early 60's to find a car that did not share something with another brand.
    Lancia for example, there are very few people in Ireland who have ever driven, or even owned a pre Fiat Lancia.
    Most cars these days, are so similar, both in styling and execution, in that all your choosing is a 'brand name', nothing more.
    If I was to choose a maker that seemed to stand alone, and supplies a model that is more or less 'their own' and which also provides a decent level of styling, comfort and reliability, it would be Honda. The rest, you'd simply pick and choose as your needs require.

Kaiser D wrote: »

Or a Rover 75 V8. Most people think it's a bog standard Rover 75

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Anyone here have any idea which make / models are more likely to pass the NCT as they age? I've no interest in wasting money buying new. I prefer to buy old and cheap and have no car loan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anything French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Citroen..never again..money pit and for catching me once they dont deserve my money...

People can argue all they like about a certain brand having 1 or 2 good models..but in this day and age with the technology that is out there to produce cars with shoddy engines..electrics and other crap happening to them is not acceptable..

I think this is the reason people will never buy a certain brand. Pal of mine had a fiat punto brand new..nothing but hassle..he wont ever buy a fiat again..because fiat f'd up..not the punto...so he determines that they could bring out the most stylish, reliable car on planet earth..he wouldnt buy it. Simply because he felt let down by that brand.. same if we walked in to a restaurant and customer service was bad..out the door and off to a place where its good.

It would take a long time before you would want to ever darken that door again.

3rd Honda..happy customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

imokyrok wrote: »
    Anyone here have any idea which make / models are more likely to pass the NCT as they age? I've no interest in wasting money buying new. I prefer to buy old and cheap and have no car loan.

Any car thats been well minded by its previous owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Stinicker wrote: »
    Anything French
    It's this kind of knee-jerk stuff that grinds my gears. You'd never fancy a Veyron, no? Or a Venturi?

Nobody can answer that question. Cars of all makes and models will always fail at some stage, whether its a 5 year old Merc or a 15 year old Fiesta.
    If you want something reliable and cheap, buy a 90s Starlet. Change the oil every year or so and it will keep going. But you need to remember that all cars need money spent on them on wear and tear items from time to time. 90s Japanese cars, in most cases, just don't need it as often.

/end of OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Renault
    Peugeot
    Volkswagen
    Seat
    Citroen - I had a VTS saxo a few years ago, great car but the single only French car I ever liked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Any car thats been well minded by its previous owner

I dont buy that at all. Some cars are unreliable heaps o ****e..you could rephrase that in relation to some cars to..any car thats had a lot of money spent on it will pass the nct...but some reliable cars may only ever need wear and tear items..whereas unreliable cars will need money spent on crap things like constant electric problems..airbag light on again..sensors faulty..crap suspension components..hg issues..timing chains stretching..timing belt issues..water pump failures..etc etc etc

Its got feck all to do with caring for your vehicle and more to do with you bought a crap car now go and sink money in to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Cars are the one thing people have a massive confirmation bias with.

BMW sell cars that can be extremely expensive to maintain and have some engines that are a financial time-bomb. Audi sell a gearbox that is disastrous and costs 1000s to fix. MB sell cars that are often extremely unreliable and prone to rust. Yet all 3 manufacturers can walk away from these issues and still people come back and buy their product again.

The one thing that matters above all else when buying a car is the person that is driving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I wouldn't rule out any marque. Love Audi, Peugeot and Citroen. As long as its comfy, leather, cruise and other toys I'd drive pretty much anything. I have an 04 A6 and a 97 A4 quattro and have me eye on an 04 A8, all daysul.

Not a rover 75!
    Seriously, if I wanted to buy something old, cheap and nice, especially after owning my one, I'd pick a few car models I'm interested in, join a forum for that car, join the irish owners facebook page and when one comes up for sale you can see if it's well looked after and all the common faults sorted or preempted.

padma wrote: »
    I dont buy that at all. Some cars are unreliable heaps o ****e..you could rephrase that in relation to some cars to..any car thats had a lot of money spent on it will pass the nct...but some reliable cars may only ever need wear and tear items..whereas unreliable cars will need money spent on crap things like constant electric problems..airbag light on again..sensors faulty..crap suspension components..hg issues..timing chains stretching..timing belt issues..water pump failures..etc etc etc

Its got feck all to do with caring for your vehicle and more to do with you bought a crap car now go and sink money in to it..

I'm sorry, no disrespect to you, but you are talking utter, utter ****e. You sound like the guy down the pub who says Fiat and Alfa are unreliable because you know a guy who knows a guy who had one and you never had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement