Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Embassy Cup, shotgun target shooting

Options
  • 19-02-2016 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭

Don't try this at home :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It's only for young people ;);)

Embassy Cup shot in the UK
    Gun: Shotgun, pump-action, or semi-auto
    Target: 2 x IPSC full size
    Sights: any
    Positions = standing unsupported, sitting, kneeling, prone
    Ready position: parallel
    Course of fire: 24 shots

Practice 1 (25m): start loaded with minimum 4 rounds
    1 exposure of 20 seconds
    2 rounds on each target, standing unsupported
    reload with minimum of 4 rounds
    2 rounds on each target, prone

Practice 2 (20m): start loaded with minimum 4 rounds
    1 exposure of 20 seconds
    2 rounds on each target, sitting

Practice 3 (15m): start loaded with minimum 4 rounds
    1 exposure of 20 seconds
    2 rounds on each target, kneeling

Easy or what?? :eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Shooting a shotgun prone, as someone who doesn't particularly like recoil, I'm puckering thinking about that one. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jaysus, i'm out of breath reading that. Not a sport for a fat guy :D

It looks like great craic and using a semi auto recoil would be minimal. Pity stuff like this was not done here. We might have some seriously good comps still going.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Actually not too difficult for us with lots of" tactical padding" Try a 3 gun "run and gun " event then you will know your fitness level.
    There is actually a demand for it ,lads have been asking about it and it doesnt really require much in equipment,a game gun willl do

Wouldnt be too hard to do as it is [1] static and [2] modify the round count to three
    OR if shot unrestricted load three keeping one spare in the weak hand,to be loaded by the shooter after firing the first shot.[Learn to speed load] Only problem is really the ammo..Slugs. Or change the targets to somthing shot gunnable, like clays at different distances to be shot in sequence.

Hello FCP??.....

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Never gonna happen here.

They'd be afraid we'd be having too much FUN !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

IPSC would be great if it came back, but I would like to try this shotgun comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Remember you can use any sight. I did try this Embassy Cup but I'm just too old now for jumping around.

This is what I'm using in the UK for other target shooting comps. out to 200y
    With an adjustable strap on the front slide to help rack the action and when I wear gloves.

378206.jpg

378207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

What stock is that Clive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What choke & ammo combination do you use for the 200 targets

What choke & ammo combination do you use for the 200 targets

No choke on that shotgun and using standard slugs. Not shot it in that comp. yet, but will do this May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

I recall there being talk of introducing it during nasrpc events since the committee change recently. Anyone else hear that?

I recall there being talk of introducing it during nasrpc events since the committee change recently. Anyone else hear that?

Not much comes out from the new committee, No I haven't heard that news.

clivej wrote: »
    Not much comes out from the new committee, No I haven't heard that news.

It was mentioned to me in passing by some enthusiastic MTSC members.

If I thought I could shoot even a handful of half decently attended competitions per year I'd stick my beretta semi on a restricted cert and have some fun.

I'd love to know how many shotguns in the country are on restricted Certs and what kinds of "good and sufficient reasons" were acceptable to the relevant CSs.

A well attended embassy cup discipline would be great.

Thought I'd revive this old post with a small update.

This discipline is now available (with slight modifications) in Fermoy Rifle club on the lower gallery range. We will cater for it at any club shoot (and NASRPC shoot subject to NASRPC) as a side event if there's a demand for it.

It was mentioned to me in passing by some enthusiastic MTSC members.

If I thought I could shoot even a handful of half decently attended competitions per year I'd stick my beretta semi on a restricted cert and have some fun.

I'd love to know how many shotguns in the country are on restricted Certs and what kinds of "good and sufficient reasons" were acceptable to the relevant CSs.

A well attended embassy cup discipline would be great.

and what kinds of "good and sufficient reasons

"Embassy Cup Shotgun Target shooting" and vermin shooting are two very good reasons to get a restricted shotgun license.

I put down "Target" shooting for the reason for both my shotguns.

To shoot the Embassy Cup you will need a magazine that will hold at least 4 shells (or 3 and 1 in the chamber). For T&P1 & Multi-Target competitions the mag must hold 6 shells (or 5 and 1 in the chamber). And must have a working safety.

The difference in the competitions shot here is that 30 seconds are the time limit in each practice and no prone at 25m

Practice 1 (25m): start loaded with minimum 4 rounds
    1 exposure of 30 seconds
    2 rounds on each target, standing supported

And shotgun target shooting.

Pump Action, Semi-Auto, and Classic shotguns in action.

I suspect that reloads are being shot by some in those vids given the lack of apparent recoil.

Id like to see that fella lay down on his side and shoot 33g slugs as handy. :-)

Thanks for the vids Clive. Let's hope we can get some interest in this.

I suspect that reloads are being shot by some in those vids given the lack of apparent recoil.

Id like to see that fella lay down on his side and shoot 33g slugs as handy. :-)

Thanks for the vids Clive. Let's hope we can get some interest in this.

Not reloads I'd say.
    I'm using competition slugs made for this type of shooting. The wad is stuck to the back of the slug, so only one hole in the target. £50/100

Not reloads I'd say.
    I'm using competition slugs made for this type of shooting. The wad is stuck to the back of the slug, so only one hole in the target. £50/100

You might pm me and let me know where you get them.

Do you bother with rifled chokes Clive? I can't seem to find a definitive view on them. Pointless I would have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Can someone with an unrestricted licence enter? It'd draw more people if a restricted licence wasn't required I'd say.

You might pm me and let me know where you get them.

Do you bother with rifled chokes Clive? I can't seem to find a definitive view on them. Pointless I would have thought?

Not rifled chokes, the slugs are rifled to give them a spin.

I'm sourcing a dealer here that said he was getting some of the competition slugs @€;60/100. I'll let you know when I know.

Can someone with an unrestricted licence enter? It'd draw more people if a restricted licence wasn't required I'd say.

Not really.

You'd need the restricted license to load more than the 3 shells (1 in the chamber plus 2 in the magazine) that the unrestricted license allows. And to buy the slugs.

As I said you need a minimum of 4 + 4 to shoot the Embassy Cup and 6 for the other competitions.
    ASAIK the Classic shotgun competitions are not shot here.

Not really.

You'd need the restricted license to load more than the 3 shells (1 in the chamber plus 2 in the magazine) that the unrestricted license allows. And to buy the slugs.

As I said you need a minimum of 4 + 4 to shoot the Embassy Cup and 6 for the other competitions.
    ASAIK the Classic shotgun competitions are not shot here.

It's the slugs which are the problem really. We could change the course of fire a bit to facilitate 2+1 but without the restricted slugs there's nothing you could do with an unrestricted shotgun. It's a shame, but that's it I'm afraid

Few thoughts on this.
    At the moment we are only shooting this at Fermoy and MTSC . Would it be plausible to get[ if you know your CS on first name terms no doubt] a VERY restricted liscense to those two ranges for shooting these competitions on an unrestricted liscense? IOW you can "unplug" your 3 shot down on the range to whatever round count needed,shoot the comp,plug it and go home legally?That would also entitle you to buy the slugs as well.It is within a Cs power to do this and as such it is not a new restricted liscense,but a "derogation"[Is that the right word?] on an existing liscense?
    Thinking softly,softly here,rather than a mass of people wanting restricted liscenses all of a sudden,and scaring the living bejaysus out of the PTB again..Give something,get something.

At worst,it could be shot 3 plus 1 starting plus a 1 round speed reload after the first shot within the time frame.With a bit of practise.
    Ammo.There is no mention of "frangible ammunition" in the act as being restricted. This can be very high tech compressed bismuth, or shot,usually used for blowing off door hinges in raids,but it has no over penetration capability, or in the crudest form shotgun pellets held together by wax.They both break up on impact and deliver their pellets in a cluster.A slug OTOH doesn't break up,and there is no definition in law as to what exactly a shotgun slug is either.

Classic shotgun..What is it shot with and course of fire?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

You can't do that without changing the law Grizz I'm afraid. The only way would have been for your unrestricted shotgun to become a club gun and then become restricted when brought to the range. Pre 2006 this could possibly have been done but since then restricted firearms cannot be used on ranges as club guns so it's not possible.

Otherwise the 2008/2009 SIs governing the definitions of restricted/unrestricted firearms would have to be changed.

Cut shotshells/wax slugs are probably covered by the definition of slugs too. Besides that, they're not that good.

If you want to have slugs, you need a restricted licence.

Plenty of people have restricted lever actions so I don't see why restricted pump shotguns or semi autos are such a big deal.

As far as I understand the rationale behind restricting slugs some time ago was to limit deer poaching. It's otherwise counterintuitive for a .308 to be unrestricted and a slug restricted.

But then again a .38 special is restricted while a .308 isn't so the whole thing makes no sense to me.

Proably right Turismo,but I can see trying to explain this to the unknowing and the unwilling who issue restricted liscenses as being another monumental task.

Grrrr!
    This whole topic galls me regarding multi shot shotguns.When I think of the two lost opportunities we had with this.The utter dis interest t shown in the 1980s when I tried to get as it was then known as "combat shotgun" in those less PC times going in Ireland,no one cared how many rounds your gun had or what kind of a shape it was in or what or how, you shot at things back then . It would have morphed into IPSC and have been established by 2006,so adding handguns and semi rifles would have been utterly acceptable.

And then the IPSC situation when it was suggested as a fall back position if the pistols went tits up.:rolleyes:

What is the definition of a shotgun slug under the law Turismo?I can't find anything on that ,bar that they are named as restricted ammo.Like "silencers" there was no concerete definition until recently as to what a silencer actually was.
    True,mightnt the most accurate of things,but better than nothing..
    Plenty of people have restricted lever actions so I don't see why restricted pump shotguns or semi autos are such a big deal.

Errr...Proably because lots of bad guys use them in Hollywood fiction flicks,and thats apprently where most beuracrats get their factual firearms info from perhaps?? When was the last time you saw a bad guy outside a western,use a lever action anything?[ Terminator 2 being the exception,with the most ridicilous cut down lever action shotgun.But it is so in demand Chiappa actually makes a copy of it!]
    As far as I understand the rationale behind restricting slugs some time ago was to limit deer poaching. It's otherwise counterintuitive for a .308 to be unrestricted and a slug restricted.

And post 1972 how did most people who couldn't get a .22/250 manage? They made their own slugs,roundball or brenneke .And proably still do and will continue to do so.
    Apprently the PTB only became aware that such doomsday weaponary existed by reading here a topic on boards.ie in 2008.:rolleyes: Yeah it makes about as much sense as most firearms related law in Ireland..None whatsoever.

Ok off for a chat with the cheif.....:rolleyes:

Oh there's no definition of slugs other than the use of the word "slug for shotguns" in the 2008 SI. But as with anything in firearms (and you know this more than anyone Grizz) if you were prosecuted under s.2 of the act (theoretically) you'll find that an expert would be rolled out to define slug, it would cover a single projectile from a shotgun and this necessarily would cover wax and cut shell slugs as they are single projectiles (until they hit mere cardboard).

Can't see that scenario ever happening though.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Classic shotgun..What is it shot with and course of fire?

From the "The Target Shotgun Training and Reference Manual of the National Rifle Association of the United Kingdom"

“Classic” Shotgun
    This subdivision includes all non-magazine fed shotguns such as: Side by Side (S-S), Under and Over (U&O) and Single Shot Martini action

T&P1, Multi Target but with different timings to name a couple are just two that I know are shot.
    Read the Phoenix handbook for the rules and all the competitions that are shot.

Phoenix
    http://galleryrifle.com/data/2016/01/PHX-2016.pdf

Gallery Rifle
    http://galleryrifle.com/data/2016/01/GRP-2016.pdf

• Advertisement

There will be a Side Match for Embassy Cup shotgun held during the NASRPC Competition @ Lough Bo

Advertisement