Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I wouldn't be a great person for colours or modifications but that colour strikes me as awkward if you have a white roof and/or white stripes. Or a blue roof.

If you have a black roof / stripes then some black plasti dipping will improve it (imho).

Disclaimer - any styling advice from me should be taken with a huge pinch of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I wouldn't be a great person for colours or modifications but that colour strikes me as awkward if you have a white roof and/or white stripes. Or a blue roof.

White roof here which I eventually intend to make black if the plasti dip is a success on the chrome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Danger781 wrote: »
    Think I might pick up the Karcher K2 next time I'm near Halfords..
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/pressure-washers-hoses/karcher-k2-compact-pressure-washer

€20 cashback too so it would bring the cost down to €70. I noticed there is an attachment for a shampoo / cleaning agent bottle - Would you still recommend getting a snowfoam lance with this?

If you have the money I would buy a K4 as it can draw water from a barrel or water butt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

*Kol* wrote: »
    If you have the money I would buy a K4 as it can draw water from a barrel or water butt.
    Shur the batteries on the meters will be dead before they remove the caps on charges...

Yeah, the K2 needs mains pressure. I think some specs claim it can be used from a butt with gravity assistance or something, but no.

We've a water butt out the side of the house! It's 105 euro more though.. Is there really that much of a difference?

• Advertisement

We've a water butt out the side of the house! It's 105 euro more though.. Is there really that much of a difference?

I am tempted to find out as I currently have a K2. I use it mostly for the foam lance. Looking at the specs there would have to be a difference given the higher pressure and flow rate. I wonder would it have any effect on how the foam lance performs??

BTW the K2 is a fine little machine. I would have no issues buying another. It's cleaned all sorts including the cars at our house for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The k4 is £149 now on amazon uk.

Just noticed detailing shed doesn't have the snowfoam lance for the karcher power washer in stock :( Had planned on doing some shopping tonight but that is a no-go now. Guess I'll have to use the ol' bucket and mit method instead with my cheap cleaning products!

On that note how do I decide what products to buy!? I've been trying to decide on what snow foam to get for about 20 minutes, and haven't even had a chance to look at what else I might need.. Clay, wax, glass cleaner, whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just noticed detailing shed doesn't have the snowfoam lance for the karcher power washer in stock :( Had planned on doing some shopping tonight but that is a no-go now. Guess I'll have to use the ol' bucket and mit method instead with my cheap cleaning products!

On that note how do I decide what products to buy!? I've been trying to decide on what snow foam to get for about 20 minutes, and haven't even had a chance to look at what else I might need.. Clay, wax, glass cleaner, whatever!

One of the lads on here told me about valetpro ph neutral snow foam http://thecarcompanyni.co.uk/shop/ph-neutral-snow-foam-5l/ and I have got nothing but great foaming from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

They will all do the job, pick one you fancy and go from there.

Maybe get all one make as there designed to work with each other but it's not the end of world if you don't.

• Advertisement

I see that LIDL have some paint brushes on sale. The three larger round ones would make good detailing brushes.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=29172

110831wk3515_01_f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I see that LIDL have some paint brushes on sale. The three larger round ones would make good detailing brushes.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=29172

110831wk3515_01_f.jpg

I got a couple sets of these the last time the were on special for this exact reason. Doing the job well ever since.

Use the flat brushes for tyres and flat face wheels.

edburg wrote: »
    Use the flat brushes for tyres and flat face wheels.

I wouldn't use the flat brushes at all due to the metal band holding in the bristles.

You be holding the brush very strange if metal band hits anything while cleaning tyres and face of wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I wouldn't use the flat brushes at all due to the metal band holding in the bristles.

I wrap mine in insulating tape so this is negated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

If the bristles are anything but very soft I would not let them near my car.

edburg wrote: »
    You be holding the brush very strange if metal band hits anything while cleaning tyres and face of wheel.

I just wouldn't chance it. I prefer to use wheel woollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I'm going detailing mine tomorrow for squeaky clean on Sunday dreading the claying part takes time but needs to be done!

So I went to halfords today to buy myself a Karcher K4 power washer. To my dismay I could only find one on the shelf and the box looked a bit tattered. I figured it was normal to be in that kind of condition considering it was a large hardware store so didn't pay much notice. Picked up the box and started walking towards the till until I felt the leg of my pants getting wet. The box was leaking on me. The reason the box was falling apart was because the bloody thing was used. Can't believe they were selling that at full price. I didn't complain or make a fuss, but instead put the box back on the shelf and then just happened to spot an a clean K4 mixed in with a load of K2 washers.

There is a foam lance comes in the box but I assume it's not great. Either way I'll chance it tomorrow depending on the weather. Also picked up some demon wash snow foam which seems to have mixed reviews but it's the best I could get on short notice. Grabbed some meguirs Clay, Polish and Wax, along with halfords bug and tar remover. At home I already have some simoniz shampoo and other bits lying around.

What process should I follow tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Karcher K2 Compact Pressure Washer is on sale in B&Q for €64 from today. While stocks last. Few euro knocked off the normal retail price, thought I'd post it if any of ye were looking for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

So I went to get some microfibers..... :pac:

20150829_154602_zpsi84dsdl8.jpg

So I went to get some microfibers..... :pac:

Where'd you pick up the rotary if you don't mind me asking?

Where'd you pick up the rotary if you don't mind me asking?

It's a DAS-6 Pro, I picked it up from one of the local retailers down here, D&D Detailing. Sound lads, spent 2 hours just talking to them before I even got to start on the car!

It's a DAS-6 Pro, I picked it up from one of the local retailers down here, D&D Detailing. Sound lads, spent 2 hours just talking to them before I even got to start on the car!

Oh.. I actually have a DAS6 Pro already. I thought that one was a rotary. :o Not used to seeing it without the handles, etc. attached I suppose. Whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I finally got my hands on a kestrel das6, second hand but was pretty cheap! It has no pads though, so I'm wondering what colour pads I need to go for just for minor imperfections, I won't be tackling orange peel etc with it. Also what make of pads? Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

My car was de-tarred, clayed, de-ironed, glazed & waxed back in May, it now needs another coat of wax as the beading is fading.

If I decide it doesn't need de-tarring & claying again then what should I do to prepare the car for another wax ? I've read everything from using panel wipe to IPA & APC, fairly liquid has also been mentioned but I've also read that that doesn't actually remove old wax.

Maybe it's easier to just de-tarr & clay the car again before applying a new layer of wax, all advice welcome.

Alfie1 wrote: »
    My car was de-tarred, clayed, de-ironed, glazed & waxed back in May, it now needs another coat of wax as the beading is fading.

If I decide it doesn't need de-tarring & claying again then what should I do to prepare the car for another wax ? I've read everything from using panel wipe to IPA & APC, fairly liquid has also been mentioned but I've also read that that doesn't actually remove old wax.

Maybe it's easier to just de-tarr & clay the car again before applying a new layer of wax, all advice welcome.

Personally, after 3 months I'd definitely clay and de-tar it again, the clay should take off a decent bit of the wax too and then a quick polish should take off the rest and leave it good for another waxing.

I don't really mind de-tarring it & claying it again if that will remove all the previous wax but I was under the impression that once or twice a year was enough for claying.

I've never polished the car before as the paint is in fairly good condition & I don't plan on doing it by hand, I might get it machine polished next year.

• Advertisement

Also if I decide the car doesn't need a de-tar or clay already what's the best way to get rid of the remaining wax ?

Advertisement