Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

COH wrote: »
    Straps = Very good investment :)

Ordered this week :-)

Monday 21.07

Foam rolling and mobility stuff

A: Squats
    2x5x20
    1x3x30
    1x2x40
    1x3x50
    2x5x52.5
    1x5x52.5 (AMRAP)
    3x5x40 *Focus on depth

B1: DB Step Up: 5x8x12.5kg DB
    B2: Lat pulldown: 5x10x35

C1: Hamstring curl: 5x10x40kg
    C2: Bicep curl: 5x10x8kg (last 3 reps of last 2 sets were negatives)

Foam rolling

Squats weren't deep enough. Not sure if it's a purely mental block or also a strength issue. Gonna drop back the weight next week if I can't get deep enough. Maybe train on Sunday later in the day - not sure if the early training on a Monday morning is good.

Tuesday 22.07

A: Bench
    2x5x15
    1x5x20
    1x3x25
    1x3x27.5
    1x1x30
    3x3x32.5 * Failed last rep of every set.

B1: Incline DB press: 5x10x10kg *focus on tempo 3x1x

B2: CSR: 5x8x26.25kg

C: Cable push down : 5x10x35kg

D: Face pulls: 2x12x40kg, 2x12x37.5 *Form was breaking down

Foam rolling, stretching

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you left-handed or right-handed?

right-handed - which is why it surprises me :-)

• Advertisement

I remember reading about something like this where the dominant/stronger side allows the weaker side to push first and pick up the slack, which is why your right looks like it's lagging.

That's just one possibility though, I suppose.

Thursday 23.07

A: Deadlifts
    2x10x20
    1x3x40
    1x3x50
    1x2x60
    1x2x80 kg *PR :D

B1: RDL: 5x8x70kg *with wrist wraps
    B2: Split squats: 5x10x15kg in each hand

C: Weighted planks: 5x60secx25kg

D: Shrugs: 5x10x20

Foam rolling and stretching

Used the wrist wraps for the RDLs - was really able to focus on my back/glutes/hams (did just type and delete "posterior chain" but felt like an eejit using the term). Could up the weights for the split squats and shrugs.

Helped one of the guys with his deadlifts as well - good ego boost to be asked :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I should get on board with this wrist strap yoke too

Good work :cool:

Took a few tries to get used to them but think it was a good investment. I'll stick to chalk for deadlifts and will be strengthening my grip anyway with the other exercises, so it's not cheating! Felt like I got more out of everything today.

helliwen wrote: »
    Took a few tries to get used to them but think it was a good investment. I'll stick to chalk for deadlifts and will be strengthening my grip anyway with the other exercises, so it's not cheating! Felt like I got more out of everything today.

There's a bit of a knack to wrapping them at first but they make such a difference for a lot of things where grip strength isn't the focus.

• Advertisement

Friday 24.07

Rolling and mobility stuff

A: Seated DB OH press
    4x10x10kg, 1x8x10kg

B1: KB swings: 5x15x20kg
    B2: Close grip bench: 3x10x23kg, 2x(7+3)x23kg (FAIL)

C: Russian twists: 5x20x12kg

D: Lateral raises: 2x8x5kg, 3x10x4kg

Stretching

Training will be changed up a bit over the next couple of weeks. Gonna stick to this next week (week 8), then move on. Hope to have some time to program over the weekend and then will stick what I've come up with on here.

Any suggestions in the meantime for accessory exercises (i.e. alternatives to my B-D's) would be muchly appreciated :-) I think it's clear already what I want to achieve and where my sticking points are (main thing is depth on the squats).

Monday 28.07

A: Squats
    2x5x20
    1x3x30
    1x2x40
    1x3x50
    2x5x50 *just not getting deep enough
    1x5x50
    2x5x40
    1x10x40 *Focus on depth

B1: DB Step Up: 5x12x12kg
    B2: Lat pulldown: 5x10x35

C1: Hamstring curl: 4x10x40kg, 1x8x40kg
    C2: Bicep curl: 3x10x8kg, 2x8x8kg

Foam rolling

Today was crap. Had one of those sessions where it was just a slog. Will post squat videos tomorrow. Stepups were off balance. Left shoulder was hurting during pull downs. Boo. Boo-urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

I'm due to go the gym at 7.30 and already feel that it's gonna be crap and a slog. Don't usually have such a defeatist attitude but finding it hard to get motivated bout anything today. Think it's the bloody deadheat or something :(

Today was crap. Had one of those sessions where it was just a slog. Will post squat videos tomorrow. Stepups were off balance. Left shoulder was hurting during pull downs. Boo. Boo-urns.

Tuesday 29.07

A: Bench
    2x5x15
    1x5x20
    1x3x25
    1x3x27.5
    1x1x30
    1xFAILx32.5 *not happening
    1x1x30 *not happening
    3x5x25

B1: Incline DB press: 5x10x10kg

B2: CSR: 5x10x22.5kg

C: Cable push down : 5x10x30kg

D: Face pulls: 1x12x35kg, 4x12x30

Foam rolling, stretching

Today sucked again. I think it'll be a deload week - feeling a little under the weather and my left shoulder kind of "popped" during bouldering last Saturday and still doesn't feel quite right. Will keep things light this week.
    I'll take a break from the gym training next week (have other sporty things on) and then get started with the adjusted program the week after.

Squats from yesterday

50 kg (I'm gonna call them partials)

40 kg

Major depth issues on the 50kgs and seem to be rocking forwards a bit. Meh

Any feedback much appreciated.

The videos are set Private.

oops - just changed the settings now. Hope they're visible.

Major depth issues on the 50kgs and seem to be rocking forwards a bit. Meh

Any feedback much appreciated.

Two things (based on my unqualified opinion):

1) Your elbows might be causing you to rock forward. They're pointed a bit backward and that might be pushing the bar forward when you start to squat and that pushes you forward. Try getting the elbows a little more under the bar. It's also possible, but I can't tell properly because of the plates but your upper back might be rounding a bit.

2) The sticking point could be mental as well. If you expect the sticking point to be there when you squat with 50kg, it'll be there and you won't commit to the squat and end up high. Commit to it and keep dropping until you know you've hit depth and next thing you know you're back up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Two things (based on my unqualified opinion):

1) Your elbows might be causing you to rock forward. They're pointed a bit backward and that might be pushing the bar forward when you start to squat and that pushes you forward. Try getting the elbows a little more under the bar. It's also possible, but I can't tell properly because of the plates but your upper back might be rounding a bit.

I know you're just trying to be helpful.... but upper back and elbow position is not the problem.

When the weight came back 20% the squat STARTED to improve, but it still looks borderline too heavy.

It's just too heavy.

It'd be like me throwing 20% onto a shaky 5RM and wondering why it was hard (220 x5 without good depth to 265 x5).

2) The sticking point could be mental as well. If you expect the sticking point to be there when you squat with 50kg, it'll be there and you won't commit to the squat and end up high. Commit to it and keep dropping until you know you've hit depth and next thing you know you're back up :)

If she'd committed to that squat after already being kicked forward 1/2 way down she'd have head butted the floor.

Hanley wrote: »
    I know you're just trying to be helpful.... but upper back and elbow position is not the problem.

When the weight came back 20% the squat STARTED to improve, but it still looks borderline too heavy.

It's just too heavy.

It'd be like me throwing 20% onto a shaky 5RM and wondering why it was hard (220 x5 without good depth to 265 x5).

If she'd committed to that squat after already being kicked forward 1/2 way down she'd have head butted the floor.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Hanley wrote: »
    It's just too heavy.

Thanks. Not easy to accept. Everything up to 40kg has generally felt strong. Even 40-45 felt fine a few weeks ago. I feel I'm not making any progress though and, while I'd have no problem dropping the weight back down now, I'm worried I'll not progress upwards in future - despite putting in the work.
    Will keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Steady pace wins the race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I know I'm impatient too... but best to build a solid foundation up instead of a rocky one where you'll have to go back at it again

</zen>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Steady pace wins the race.

This time last year you'd only pulled 75 x2. I happened across one of your old cyckes today.

Took the rest of this week off training - dealing with some anxiety/mood issues and also a cold/chest infection thing. Will get back to the gym on Sunday, starting the following *:

Day 1
    A: Barbell Squat: 3x20x25kg ("the hammer it with volume approach")
    B1: Paused Front Squats: 5x8x20kg
    B2: Negative Pullups: 5x5
    C: Nordic Curls: 5x8
    D: Russian Twist 5x20/20

Day 2
    A: Bench Press: 2x3, 1x3+
    B1: Incline DB Press: 5x8
    B2: BB rows: 5x8
    C: DB triceps extension: 5x10
    D: Face Pull: 5x12

Day 3
    A: Deadlift 3x2
    B1: RDL 5x8
    B2: DB lunges 5x8 e/s
    C: Weighted Planks 5x60 sec
    D: Shrugs 5x12

Day 4
    A: Barbell press: 3x5
    B1: Hip thrusts: 5x8
    B2: Close Grip Bench: 5x10
    C: Lateral extensions: 5x12
    D: Chin-ups: 5x5

I reserve the right to tweak this program as I/others see fit but will not obsess over it :-)

Now, I´m going to dig myself out of this hole and go out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

It's **** that you're in a bad place, hope things start lifting for you soon. Mentally not physically :) Don't get too bogged down with where you think you should be or what you think you should be lifting. You'll get there eventually. (I can say this stuff cause I'm old and semi-wise)

Took the rest of this week off training - dealing with some anxiety/mood issues and also a cold/chest infection thing. Will get back to the gym on Sunday, starting the following *:

Day 1
    A: Barbell Squat: 3x20x25kg ("the hammer it with volume approach")
    B1: Paused Front Squats: 5x8x20kg
    B2: Negative Pullups: 5x5
    C: Nordic Curls: 5x8
    D: Russian Twist 5x20/20

Day 2
    A: Bench Press: 2x3, 1x3+
    B1: Incline DB Press: 5x8
    B2: BB rows: 5x8
    C: DB triceps extension: 5x10
    D: Face Pull: 5x12

Day 3
    A: Deadlift 3x2
    B1: RDL 5x8
    B2: DB lunges 5x8 e/s
    C: Weighted Planks 5x60 sec
    D: Shrugs 5x12

Day 4
    A: Barbell press: 3x5
    B1: Hip thrusts: 5x8
    B2: Close Grip Bench: 5x10
    C: Lateral extensions: 5x12
    D: Chin-ups: 5x5

I reserve the right to tweak this program as I/others see fit but will not obsess over it :-)

Now, I´m going to dig myself out of this hole and go out for a walk.

Hope you're alright. I've had to take the week off also as there is a bug going around. Itching to get back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Often when I read your log if reminds me of how training used to negatively effect me. Instead of it being a stress reliever it actually caused me anxiety, and that's not a good place to be.

I wonder if getting someone else to program you would be helpful? That way you wouldn't be second guessing yourself or feel the inclincaton to add in stuff to your program.

I have someone program me and I LOVE it, it makes such a difference and it means I never have to 'think' about training I just go in and enjoy it.

Perhaps it might be an idea.

I haven't found a good trainer here yet but I'll be training with some ladies in a few weeks who might be able to point me in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Did you not get a program done up for you when you were in Dub?

• Advertisement

Yeah I did and I've been doing that and only that for the past 8 weeks. I've stalled in some areas now so that's where the changes have come in - otherwise the program hasn't changed too much except for trying a high volume approach on the squats. What I am missing is though is a trainer to advise me, answer questions, check form etc.

Also, just want to clarify: the anxiety/mood issues I referred to earlier had nothing to do with training. Being sick meant I couldn't use training to help me to cope though.

Advertisement