Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Thanks folks i think its something i'll have to look into as the internet is stoneage stuff and i'm living in Dublin. I can only imagine how bad isolated parts of the country are (actaully they are probably a step ahead of me ha)

I might give them a call see what they say. There must be some sort of testing to ensure i can avail of this service

EDIT: Called digiweb nearest they do to me is swords nothing further north in Dublin...there goes that dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Irelandoffline.org will give you an indication as to what's in your area.

Cheers hallo dare, The nearest cabinet to me is approx 1.5 km from me but its right over the m1 so assuming they cant even "use" that cabinet. The next nearest is about 3km from the house. I remember eircom telling me the nearest one was 6km so maybe something has changed since then.

very frustrating trying to get information on this - i'm basically told well your line can only hold 2mb

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jones wrote: »
    very frustrating trying to get information on this - i'm basically told well your line can only hold 2mb

You'd be 5-6KM from the exchange. The physics of that much copper means 2Mbs.

Realistically unless you dig up your house and move it you wont get better fixed line services, in your location wireless of some sort is your only option. Thats the reality. Preferably fixed wireless as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

jones wrote: »
    Cheers hallo dare, The nearest cabinet to me is approx 1.5 km from me but its right over the m1 so assuming they cant even "use" that cabinet. The next nearest is about 3km from the house. I remember eircom telling me the nearest one was 6km so maybe something has changed since then.

if you near the m1 chances are you have line of sight to the lourdes hospital in drogheda, so thats a digiweb metro area, 30mb ;)

• Advertisement

dazdrog wrote: »
    if you near the m1 chances are you have line of sight to the lourdes hospital in drogheda, so thats a digiweb metro area, 30mb ;)

I'm just outside balbriggan so i think drogheda would be too far? Just checked its 22km from me driving. What sort of range does digiweb service? When i called yesterday they asked me was i near swords and when i said no not really she said thats the only option near me in Dublin? #helpful

EDIT: Ok i called digiweb back and was talking to a much more helpful lady. Basically i cant get fixed wireless where i am so they can only offer me landline (which is the same 2mb line) or satellite broadband which is ridiculous prices and crazy download limits so its not an option.

As mentioned earlier short of moving my house to a different location looks like i'm stuck with my current set up. Are there any other options i should look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Net1 FWA services your area. http://www.net1.ie/coverage/

Thanks for the help lads really appreciate it. I gave Net1 a call and an engineer is going to call me back monday with more information. Apparently he'll have to come out to the house to test and see if there is line of sight but they said they have customers around my area so fingers crossed it will result in something.

never heard of Net1 though and cant seem to find too much about them online. Anyone have an experience with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I thought my internet was lagging...

3711102473.png

Phew! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

Vectoring has allowed my line to take a 70/20 profile up from 50/20

3713310234.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Got vectored recently I'm on 70/20 profile now, very happy camper.
    3716271159.png

104922373.png

2632146345.png
    Vodafone 8mb package.
    2599778075.png
    Generally how it always is...

Seen these going through the thread and it made me laugh.

Nearly a year any a half in the difference and there's a massive improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

3726409815.png

Nothing to write home about when i could throw stones at the cabinet i'm so close(255 metres)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    3726409815.png

Nothing to write home about when i could throw stones at the cabinet i'm so close(255 metres)

So Vodafone still haven't fixed your problem with the upload speed?

Ridiculous.

Are KN still threatening to charge ye aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Fastest download I've gotten since April! :pac:
    3729268273.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Awful service tonight!

3729570652.png3729576884.png

Awful service tonight!

There has to be something wrong with your line!

I live in Carlow too and have Vodafone and my internet is grand.

*Tip wood haha*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Awful service tonight!

Lol awful least you can get fibre our Vodafone internet is horrible . Max is 14Mb/s slows down a lot in the evening this past 2 weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

3731370875.png

I am in Portlaoise , and on UPC

• Advertisement

I've been posting in this thread a lot lately so my apologies but I found something interesting!

It's one of my first ever speed test from back in 2011 when I (very very briefly) had Imagine.

1325659714.png

V.S

3731626819.png

Over 3 years later and on much better technology but still.... Look how far the internet has come haha! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I've been posting in this thread a lot lately so my apologies but I found something interesting!

It's one of my first ever speed test from back in 2011 when I (very very briefly) had Imagine.

1325659714.png

V.S

3731626819.png

Over 3 years later and on much better technology but still.... Look how far the internet has come haha! :pac:

Bet you wish you were back in the good old days ;)

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Bet you wish you were back in the good old days ;)

Haha definately... Not! :pac:

My schools internet, this is over WiFi bear in mind!
    WeENK9Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

My schools internet, this is over WiFi bear in mind!
    WeENK9Q.jpg

Ah yes, mine got a similar microwave link in.

Allegedly the company installed the gear first and then applied later for a license from Comreg!

Ah yes, mine got a similar microwave link in.

Allegedly the company installed the gear first and then applied later for a license from Comreg!

This is over HEAnets Fibre network.

Up until this year we've had less than 1Mb up and down for about 600 students!

I'd love to know what their package is.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MichaelR

3732318527.png

Adare area, Patrickswell side. Sky DSL, on an Eircom line of course. Eircom itself was worse, they kept me on a 2M down /256k up conection until I went over to Sky in May 2013. Now the connection is set to 4M down/384k up. Eircom are saying the line is a 5M line and they offer no congestion; considering going back but I doubt their service will be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Just switched to Meteor's 4G in Colehill, Longford (very rural)
    speedtest with the wifi router upstairs and this laptop downstairs.

3736910163.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

UPC 30MB with Cisco EPC3925 in Ratoath, Co. Meath. Cabled in to Windows Home Server 2011. Test with SpeedTest and UPC's own one.

3746944879.png
    1XCxLqu.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Vodafone 50/15

3747799360.png

321576.PNG

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 45220 kbps (5652.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 14088 kbps (1761 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 8 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms

Advertisement