Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

alastair wrote: »
    Heh - you've some interest in retaining your tax clearance cert then. :D

Face it - you're screwed.

God thats some attuitude, so just bend over, shut up and take it is your advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Heh - you've some interest in retaining your tax clearance cert then. :D

Face it - you're screwed.

:rolleyes: Hmmm. Denying people the ability to make more money to pay more substantial taxes, sound a legit, well thought out scheme, i must say.

anyhoo, tcc or no, i'll always be able to make enough to survive, i'm not greedy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

bgrizzley wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Hmmm. Denying people the ability to make more money to pay more substantial taxes, sound a legit, well thought out scheme, i must say.

Hang on - let me get the world's smallest violin.
    Honestly! Such guff.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    excuse my shouting but EVERYONE WAS TOLD WHEN THEY SIGNED UP FOR THE HOUSEHOLD CHARGE THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE USED AS A REGISTER FOR FURTHER LEINS BEING PLACED ON YOUR HOME :mad: the solution was not to register which has worked a treat for the 160000 odd people who told them to go to hell & bring their uncivil servants along for the spin..

It's worked a treat alright. Oh wait... :p

VinLieger wrote: »
    God thats some attuitude, so just bend over, shut up and take it is your advice?

Embrace it - this state needs your taxes. Try to look beyond selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Pat Rabbitte has jumped the gun a bit. The legislation clearly requires the household to own a TV tuner device before the tax is applicable. If he's saying he thinks public broadcasting should be supported by all householders, then that's a separate campaign/goal to the terms of the revised TV licence tax structure - which explicitly excludes radios, mobile phones, PDA's etc - in fact pretty much everything that is either hand-held, or lacks a TV tuner. If he means that he doubts many households won't be liable under the existing terms, then he's probably right - but not articulating his belief very well.

He's bringing in new legislation to charge every household regardless of equipment.

Hang on - let me get the world's smallest violin.
    Honestly! Such guff.

How is it guff? Would you refuse E1000 cause someone owed you E100?
    You really will defend any level of stupidity...

oh, and heres a coin for your violin case :) *flick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Oh, they'll take it from you alright. The HHC (plus a bonus extra €100) will be added to your accrued late payment fees by the Revenue - surely that reality has sunk in by now?

http://www.thejournal.ie/household-charge-linked-to-property-tax-735542-Jan2013/

Almost 2 years on from the hhc and not one bank account pillaged, not a utility bill doctored, and not a householder prosecuted.

For some strange reason I'm not too worried Alastair.

Didn't you refuse to pay a poll tax? Did the threats of the day worry you lol?

SamHall wrote: »
    Almost 2 years on from the hhc and not one bank account pillaged, not a utility bill doctored, and not a householder prosecuted.

For some strange reason I'm not too worried Alastair.

It is strange - given that you know that the Revenue stated clearly that they wouldn't start enforcing recovery until this very month. You'd have to have been pretty imaginative to expect anything before now. Don't expect much in the way of prosecutions either - they don't need to go that far - garnishing wages / social welfare, and withholding tax clearance certs does the job much more efficiently.

• Advertisement

Didn't you refuse to pay a poll tax? Did the threats of the day worry you lol?

If you expect a general revolt against property tax, you'll be waiting a long time. The property tax is no poll tax. People were quite happy to continue paying their property tax, while opposing a change to a poll tax. And I fully expected to have to pay - I'd suggest you re-adjust your thinking to the reality of the situation.

You'll pay up in the end - with the penalties for your choices.

How is it guff? Would you refuse E1000 cause someone owed you E100?
    You really will defend any level of stupidity...

It's complete guff. Pretending that you'd compromise your livelihood over the payment of a tax is either empty bluster, or a level of stupidity (on your part - not the Revenue) that I wouldn't bother defending.

If you expect a general revolt against property tax, you'll be waiting a long time. The property tax is no poll tax. People were quite happy to continue paying their property tax, while opposing a change to a poll tax. And I fully expected to have to pay - I'd suggest you re-adjust your thinking to the reality of the situation.

You'll pay up in the end - with the penalties for your choices.

This thread is about a Broadcast tax, flat rate for all.

quite similar to a poll tax.

Something I believe you deemed as unfair and thus didn't pay.

Don't you see the hypocrisy there old bean?

This thread is about a Broadcast tax, flat rate for all.

quite similar to a poll tax.

Quite similar, as in not similar whatsoever? The broadcast tax model is closer to a council charge (which I paid) than a poll tax, in that it's household-based rather than individual based. It's also a more sensible model to fund a service that more and more people make use of, without having a tv tuner.

It's complete guff. Pretending that you'd compromise your livelihood over the payment of a tax is either empty bluster, or a level of stupidity (on your part - not the Revenue) that I wouldn't bother defending.

hmmm, calling me stupid. You obviously win the argument...

I never said I'd compromise my livelihood, Alastair. I have more than enough, and if my income dips to a level that i can keep my head above water i'll be happy.

Not every one in this country was or is greedy.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    excuse my shouting but EVERYONE WAS TOLD WHEN THEY SIGNED UP FOR THE HOUSEHOLD CHARGE THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE USED AS A REGISTER FOR FURTHER LEINS BEING PLACED ON YOUR HOME :mad: the solution was not to register which has worked a treat for the 160000 odd people who told them to go to hell & bring their uncivil servants along for the spin..

I think you'll find it a lot less than 160,000! 40,000 is a more accurate figure.

• Advertisement

hmmm, calling me stupid. You obviously win the argument...

Stupid or talking guff - it's a multiple choice scenario. I know where my judgement lies.

You lost this argument the moment you figured you could evade enforcement by the Revenue.

LOL so people shouldnt be angry about the complete missmanagment of their taxes? Just shut up and let the government who obviously know exactly what they are doing get on with it. Id love an ip trace off this guy bet it would lead right into endas advisors offices

Your tinfoil hat is slipping. Who's making any comment on mismanagement of taxes? The issue is the collection mechanism for taxes.

Stop making personal comments please and remember this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971262
    thanks

Pat Kenny has abandoned ship I see.

RTE has issued a statement saying that Kenny “will not be renewing his contract with RTÉ and will therefore be leaving the organisation with immediate effect”
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/kenny-leaves-rte-for-newstalk-29462330.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So much for the notion that those overpaid RTE presenters wouldn't be able to find work elsewhere.

• Advertisement

So much for the notion that those overpaid RTE presenters wouldn't be able to find work elsewhere.

Of course they can find work elsewhere, that argument is they would get paid nowhere near as much to, so id be very curious to know the difference between his old salary and his new one

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Generally speaking, people usually will leave for more money. I seriously doubt Kenny has jumped ship if RTE had offered him more than Newstalk.

Generally speaking, people usually will leave for more money. I seriously doubt Kenny has jumped ship if RTE had offered him more than Newstalk.

I couldn't give a flying mickey what he's to be paid once it's not the Tax payers funding it.

The same goes for politicians, council managers and anyone else with the nose in the trough.

If he's employed in the private sector it's none of our business.

Of course what the public sector has to pay people bears no relation whatsoever to what they can earn in the private sector.

I seriously doubt he is considering while at RTE he was on Primtime and had his radio slot while at newstalk hes only going to have the radio and usually TV pays alot more. Also while at RTE he was working as a contractor he wont be able to do that at a private company.

Of course what the public sector has to pay people bears no relation whatsoever to what they can earn in the private sector.

it impacts what they pay in taxes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

while at RTE he was working as a contractor he wont be able to do that at a private company.
    Why?

it impacts what they pay in taxes though.

No it doesn't. He'll be a contractor - just like he was at RTE.

Edit. Sorry - replying to wrong post.

But while I'm here - it'll make no difference to the price of a TV licence, so, no it won't. You could even argue that Pat, with his ratings, might have held up the RTE advertising revenue stream.

Why?

Just assuming it since as far as I know none of the private media companies operate on a contractor basis they are all employed directly, could be wrong though

Just assuming it since as far as I know none of the private media companies operate on a contractor basis they are all employed directly, could be wrong though

Eamon Dunphy was a contractor while at Newstalk.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't. He'll be a contractor - just like he was at RTE.

Edit. Sorry - replying to wrong post.

But while I'm here - it'll make no difference to the price of a TV licence, so, no it won't. You could even argue that Pat, with his ratings, might have held up the RTE advertising revenue stream.

Pat Kenny is irrelevant.

Public sector workers have an impact on what tax payers burden will be.

That was my point.

Eamon Dunphy was a contractor while at Newstalk.

And Hook gets paid through his company Foxrock Productions.

Pat Kenny is irrelevant.

That was my point.

Quite an insight. You mean they demand payment?!

Quite an insight. You mean they demand payment?!

Yeah.

Some actually deserve what they get paid.

Garda, nurses etc.

Imagine that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pat Kenny is irrelevant.

That was my point.

But the licence fee, which is the tax here, isn't going to come down because Kenny left.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah.

Some actually deserve what they get paid.

Garda, nurses etc.

Pat too - given that he's just proven his commercial value.

Let us know if you've any other revelations on how the employment market works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

That is the sum of it I would say as well, mo money from Newstalk.

Pat too - given that he's just proven his commercial value.

Let us know if you've any other revelations on the how the employment market works.

Nice to know you're privy to his salary details before he's released them.

Do tell?

Nice to know you're privy to his salary details before he's released them.

Do tell?

Just using some common sense. Pat has proven to be an able negotiator, and it's rather unlikely he's opted for a worse deal than the one he was on. And RTE are clearly very bitter that they've lost him.

From the Irish Times:
    RTÉ director general Noel Curran this evening said the State broadcaster was unable to match the offer Kenny had received from the commercial sector, and that, while a significant loss, his departure did not come as a major shock.

Mr Curran told RTÉ’s Drivetime programme that reductions in presenter fees over the last few years fees had left RTÉ paying rates similar or lower than its commercial rivals. He said it was possible that other well-known names could be lost to commercial broadcasters as RTÉ had adopted a new approach to fees.

• Advertisement

Just using some common sense. Pat has proven to be an able negotiator, and it's rather unlikely he's opted for a worse deal than the one he was on. And RTE are clearly very bitter that they've lost him.

You might find that a radio only and no tv appearances won't pay nearly as much as what Montrose paid him.

RTÉ might be bitter that he wouldn't accept another pay cut.

We don't yet know.

It will all come out in due course though.

I am sure RTE have a few others in D4 who may fill his boots, no not Tubridy.
    Kenny is nearly 66, so he has a few years left in him yet. We are still entertained with Gay Byrne despite his retirement:o

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I am sure RTE have a few others in D4 who may fill his boots, no not Tubridy.

Myles Dungan or Philip Boucher-Hayes seem like a good place to start.

Myles Dungan or Philip Boucher-Hayes seem like a good place to start.

Yes, possibly.

Kenny will be an asset to Newstalk. I have always liked his radio work, but not on TV.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Yes, possibly.
    Kenny will be an asset to Newstalk. I have always liked his radio work, but not on TV.

I agree with you there. I think RTE are going to lose out on advertising. His radio programme was always a good one. There is little else of it's type on any other station. I can't think of who could fill his shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

It is sufficient for a contractor (as a legal personality or as a sole trader) to be able to convince Revenue that he is not an ordinary employee (e.g. by exercising managerial discretion in the undertaking of his work, and not being bound by the obligations of ordinary employees).

There is no bar to this happening in the private sector. In fact, I would say this "private contractor" manner of tax avoidance is almost uniquely a private sector phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

The new licencing system won't cost you a cent more than the current TV licence costs.

What makes you so sure, alastair?

darkhorse wrote: »
    What makes you so sure, alastair?

Because we've been told that already.

Fool me once....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

By who, asastair?

darkhorse wrote: »
    By who, asastair?

Pat Rabbitte.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/every-single-home-to-be-hit-with-new-broadcasting-charge-29428338.html
    Announcing major changes to the way public service broadcasting is funded Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte today gave a commitment the new charge will not exceed the current €160 a year licence fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement