Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

another shadow of memories/destiny fan here

Bought it around a month ago to try again, still holds up, fantastic game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Kingpin: Life of Crime was a great game and never heard anything about it really. Video brings back so many memories.

Lord, thats a blast from the past, I remember having to play that with the sound off due to all the swearing. The family pc used to be in the living room, and my mother, who strangely enough had no problem with her 12 year old son blasting fools with a gat, drew the line at bad language. :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

System Shock 1 is the most amazing game ever. Most people overlook it in favour of its sequel though.

You fought him already, it's the fat Mexican guy in the white suit and purple beads, his name's Elvis!

Oh and here's two tips in case you didn't find this out yet:
    1: When it asks you to press O rapidly, you can press all four buttons as well to save yourself from arthritis.

2: During a ducking dodge (Right analog stick up) press triangle to do a sweep, then when they're on the ground press up+triangle to do a heel that bounces them off the ground, then press triangle to do a knee to send them high in the air (best way to launch fat guys), and finish off with either down+tri for a shoryuken or down+tri for a powerful roundhouse.

I'd just like to point out that none of that is ever explained in the game, they even let you buy a sweep from the store instead. That's less "hard but fair" and more "being a bollocks".

Ah yes sorry, I fought him twice so far. Didn't cop that his name was Elvis. My Bad :P

Does point 2 not depend on what moves you have set to your technique list? Going to try later after the footie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhino n Chips

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Does point 2 not depend on what moves you have set to your technique list?

They're some of the only techniques that you always have, along with the running attacks. Wouldn't blame you if you didn't know, the game never tells you, it's like in Castlevania SOTN where you can cast all the spells in the game if you know the input.

You can see some of the techniques in the youtube vid "Godhand Ign Response" it's worth watching just to see him kick a demon in the balls :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Kingpin: Life of Crime was a great game and never heard anything about it really. Video brings back so many memories.

Still have the PC CD ROM of that in my mothers house, found a few old games a few weeks ago....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Crusader: No Remorse? Maybe it's not underrated but I've great memories of it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Couple of good ones whose license may obscure their worth slightly. Though, given the high worth of Sunsoft and Konami's respective output at the time, it's not much of a surprise that they'd bleed the tie-in for all its potential quality:

Batman: Return of the Joker (NES). It could be accused of awkwardly gelling on a run-and-gun to the famously hoplophobic Bruce Wayne, but it plays really smooth and, contrary to a lot of NES' A+ material, has a difficulty curve that doesn't laugh at you for not sticking 8 hours down per section.

Tiny Toon Adventures and Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland (NES):
    The former being a reasonably competent SMB3 clone and the latter retaining the formula whilst sticking enough trinkets on it this time around to take one's mind of the fact, it's a jolly good one all-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Syphon Filter. I thought it was amazing back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

SeantheMan wrote: »

But it was never under rated though, it sold enough to warrant two sequels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Can it be considered underrated now since I'm still waiting for another game? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

On underrated games. I've started up Beyond Good and Evil HD again as I had lost my save file last time (extremely early in the game).

Initially I wasn't really sure why there was so much love for the game but I must say after playing for about 2-3 hours now, I'm really enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved that one, critically rated but ignored by everyone else. I had it for the GC I think and played it to completion.
    Wonderful.

Metal Arms is another one.
    I had it on Xbox and loved it.
    I have it on PS2 now and it's not quite as impressive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But it was never under rated though, it sold enough to warrant two sequels.

Having sequels doesn't meant a game was rated highly. There are plenty of trash games out there with numerous sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sleeping Dogs for me. I know that a good few on here will know it, but none of my friends did, and me neither till it came out free on PS+. Cars handle a bit weird, but once you're used to that it's an amazing game.

Having sequels doesn't meant a game was rated highly. There are plenty of trash games out there with numerous sequels.

A game that is trash but gets sequels usually means it was popular in spite of it sucking.

In Syphon Filters case it was both well reviewed and popular and got 2 sequels.
    I'm not really sure what your point is.
    The thread is all about games that were under rated.
    That's either meaning they were under scored when originally reviewed or, and more likely, games that were ignored upon release.
    Syphon Filter was neither.
    Psychonauts was well reviewed but ignored by the buying public.
    F1'98 was an awful game but it sold tons.
    I'd say the thread is more about the former than the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sleeping Dogs for me. I know that a good few on here will know it, but none of my friends did, and me neither till it came out free on PS+. Cars handle a bit weird, but once you're used to that it's an amazing game.

It was originally a sequel to the earlier True Crime series on the PS2, Xbox and PC with LA and New York being the settings, then they went to revive the franchise with one set in Hong Kong but decided to make a fresh IP and called it Sleeping Dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wiz N' Liz on the Megadrive, great little game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A game that is trash but gets sequels usually means it was popular in spite of it sucking.

People are mixing up old game with underrated game it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It was originally a sequel to the earlier True Crime series on the PS2, Xbox and PC with LA and New York being the settings, then they went to revive the franchise with one set in Hong Kong but decided to make a fresh IP and called it Sleeping Dogs.

It was actually an original IP but then Activision got their grubby hands on it and told the devs to change it and make it fit into the True Crime world. Then they said it will never sell and shelved the project. Thank God Square Enix picked it up and let the devs do what they wanted to do originally.

Such a great game and HIGHLY underrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I actually just bought Syphon Filter 2 in a retro game shop the other day.

Completed God Hand last night, Took me 20+ hours in total.
    The last boss was an absolute ****! I must have used about 10 or more continues.

I have to say one of the biggest gaming surprises in a long time, pure gameplay perfection and also one of the most difficult games I have ever played.

But the great thing about the difficulty is that it's fair. There is never anything cheap about it. If I ended up dying it's because I wasn't good enough and had to get better, or learn a particular enemy attack pattern to dodge and attack.

This game surely had influence on Demon Souls / Dark Souls??

There's some amazing runs of this on youtube with guys getting near perfect runs (As in not getting hit :eek::eek::eek:)

Loved every minute of it.

Body Harvest on the N64 was clunky, reviewed averagely yet I loved it

It was actually an original IP but then Activision got their grubby hands on it and told the devs to change it and make it fit into the True Crime world. Then they said it will never sell and shelved the project. Thank God Square Enix picked it up and let the devs do what they wanted to do originally.

Such a great game and HIGHLY underrated!
    Yeah, probably more serious than GTA, but still plenty of laughs. But the story is brilliant and believable. And some parts of the gameplay (fighting, being undercover and leveling up cop ability and criminal) is far better than GTA.

The cities in them though, they may have been somewhat accurate but they were simply not as fun as the condensed fun of Liberty or Vice City, or even the fun to be had in the bloated San Andreas, those locations were built to keep the player amused while the actual layout of LA is, well, not.

I've only ever played sleeping dogs, but another thing I like is when you put somewhere into your GPS, you get big arrows on screen telling you when to turn. I find in GTA you can spend too much time looking at the little small GPS map rather than the actual scenery and other traffic.
    But GTA is if definitely better fun just driving around and acting the eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Plus one here for Metal Arms, lovely little game. Any mention yet of XIII which I loved the style and storyline and Psi Ops the mindgate conspiracy which was a better version of Second sight on the ps2 that came out around the same time. the daddy of underrated games on the xbox was Chronicle of Riddick: Escape from butcher bay. Had a blast with that game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Pikmin 2
    Bioshock 2 (with DLC)
    Timesplitters 3 (i felt 2 was more popular)
    Super Tennis (SNES)
    Mario Party 2
    Perfect Dark

Advertisement