Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i loved this game, back before the internet made it easy to figure stuff out I must have poured a tonne of hours into it, don't recall ever played the sequel. For those on PS is this available as a download now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The Thing for PS2.

Gameplay mechanics and paranoia were identical to the film, I can't believe they have not been borrowed into other games, the notion of watching your team mates nervously in case they start showing signs of going bat**** and killing you under stress, and trying to prevent that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Adamantium wrote: »
    That plot twist though turned it one of the most eerie thought provoking things I've ever played played besides the Metal Gear series. It might also be incredibly relevant and true in real life, incredibly unsettling.

The game was ok but kind of annoying that they had a sci-fi setting yet pulled that prime directive nonsense so it basically just played like a medieval RPG.

As for the plot twist it was the single worst thing about the games, especially for fans of the series. Basically it was the biggest FU to the fans. Hey you know those two games you love? Well
    They didn't actually happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

On the phone here so no links but the one that always springs to mind for me is Lost Vikings on the SNES and maybe the Megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Body harvest

the creator of every open world game ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhino n Chips

I beat God Hand about 3 or 4 times, I never beat it on anything but easy mode because, get this:
    I was so good at the game at that point, it kept leveling me up to lv.DIE where all the enemies had like thrice the health and killed in 2 hits.

Best boss fight to me is probably fat Elvis, the masked gorilla comes close, and the circus dominatrix would be alright if not for turning into a dog, but the midget superheroes were just too annoying.
    Also this game's really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Alundra on the ps1

Another shout for Shadow of Rome too, the combat sections were brilliant and it was so violent.

Adamantium wrote: »
    The Thing for PS2.

Gameplay mechanics and paranoia were identical to the film, I can't believe there hasn't been borrowed into other games the notion of watching your teammates nervously in case they start showing signs of going bat**** and killing you under stress, and trying to prevent that.

Yes, I actually had this on PC. I loved the fact that you have to
    burn the creatures to actually kill them. The Blood Test Hypos feature was a bit flawed though from what I remember

I beat God Hand about 3 or 4 times, I never beat it on anything but easy mode because, get this:
    I was so good at the game at that point, it kept leveling me up to lv.DIE where all the enemies had like thrice the health and killed in 2 hits.

Best boss fight to me is probably fat Elvis, the masked gorilla comes close, and the circus dominatrix would be alright if not for turning into a dog, but the midget superheroes were just too annoying.
    Also this game's really weird.

Weird in a good way though :)

I have been playing on Normal, about 14 hours in. Didn't realise the levelling up mechanic actually made the enemies harder.

Spoiler tags btw on the
    Fat Elvis bit!! I haven't got that far yet

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah,
    It's my one real discovery back in the day.
    No one else bought it it seems.
    I picked it up and played it straight through, fantastic stuff.
    It's got some great voice work too by Tom Baker and Nathaniel Parker.
    The single player campaign could be considered "drab" as the review suggests but I'd rather consider it realistic and gritty, and the campaign is not BF3 over in 2 hours job, this one goes on quite a bit.
    All in all, well worth picking up and playing, and they've one in CEX in Santry for the grand sum of €2!
    You'd be mad not to pick it up!

Another cracking title to pick up for the PS2 or Xbox is Secret Weapons over Normandy, made by the team behind XWing and Tie Fighter it's a great little arcade sim and a pretty decent looking title for it's age.
    Also cheap as chips, again in CEX Santry for €2.

From looking at the video, it reminds me of Goldeneye crossed with Soldier of Fortune :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Fade to black

Fade to black

Fade to black

Fade to black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

.ak wrote: »
    What was the other game, that came out around the same time, where you were a hover craft but could transform into this cool mech thing?

Future Cop LAPD.

The Multiplayer was absolutely brilliant at the time!

Future Cop LAPD.

Loved that! However I had it on the PC so playing splitcreen on one keyboard with a buddy was awkward.

Loved the fact you could make you own robot army v robot army situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Here's that video for The Lost Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Future Cop LAPD.

Boom, that was it. Felt like ED209 roaming around destroying things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kingpin: Life of Crime was a great game and never heard anything about it really. Video brings back so many memories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Future Cop LAPD.

It was to be another part of the Strike franchise from EA, after Soviet and Nuclear Strike. But they decided to break from the series and release it seperately.
    It has become hard to find though I picked mine up for around a tenner a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Here's that video for The Lost Vikings.

That game was so bloody hard!

Class though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Kingpin: Life of Crime was a great game and never heard anything about it really. Video brings back so many memories.

Clearly you weren't reading the right magazine. :)

As for my picks, I guess most of my underrated classics from last generation would be those mid-tier games that didn't set the world alight either critically or commercially but with which I ended up having a lot of fun with. Games such as Lollipop Chainsaw, Viking: Battle for Asgard, Dark Sector, Afro Samurai, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Dark Void come to mind.

Spec Ops: The Line, Singularity and Binary Domain have gotten more praise after release and are a step above the others in terms of quality imo.

Then there's the likes of Bayonetta, Vanquish, Shadows of the Damned and El Shaddai which were all both varying degrees of great and commercial flops.

And then there's Earth Defense Force 2017. :D

sheehy83 wrote: »

Loved that game but it was hard. Quicksave galore.

Some great tracks from Cyprus Hill- Think the album is call 1998.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

One i think was underated was "Hogs of war", never really got into worms but loved that games as Rik Mayall done the voices :)

jonny24ie wrote: »
    One i think was underated was "Hogs of war", never really got into worms but loved that games as Rik Mayall done the voices :)

Great call. At the time Worms was still only 2D.

They defiantly took some ideas from Hogs of War when they made Worms 3D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

jonny24ie wrote: »

Worth a few bob that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Future Cop LAPD.

came into this thread to mention this game. Iv been looking for a decent torrent for ages with no success

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Worth a few bob that one.

whats a few bob? I know i still have my copy somewhere :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great call. At the time Worms was still only 2D.

They defiantly took some ideas from Hogs of War when they made Worms 3D.

I remember playing the demo of it from the OPM and just had to have it, the day it released I went straight to game bought it and even got a taxi home to play it I was in that much of a hurry to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhino n Chips

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Spoiler tags btw on the
    Fat Elvis bit!! I haven't got that far yet

You fought him already, it's the fat Mexican guy in the white suit and purple beads, his name's Elvis!

Oh and here's two tips in case you didn't find this out yet:
    1: When it asks you to press O rapidly, you can press all four buttons as well to save yourself from arthritis.

2: During a ducking dodge (Right analog stick up) press triangle to do a sweep, then when they're on the ground press up+triangle to do a heel that bounces them off the ground, then press triangle to do a knee to send them high in the air (best way to launch fat guys), and finish off with either down+tri for a shoryuken or down+tri for a powerful roundhouse.

I'd just like to point out that none of that is ever explained in the game, they even let you buy a sweep from the store instead. That's less "hard but fair" and more "being a bollocks".

Advertisement