Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kinfoxx

Just moved to Kinsale and signed up with Sky and seriously suffering some terrible latency, dropouts, upload speeds etc. Unfortunately Fibre isn't offered yet at our house so we're stuck with DSL (and maybe Sat as well?) Money isn't an issue as I need broadband for work (web dev) so this is a primary issue.

Anyone else in Kinsale have a better provider to use? We're over the hill in Ballinacubby. I fear they all just use the existing Eircom line so they'll all be the same speed, at least until they lay Fibre down.

Current speeds: 4.78 down .64 up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hey anyone have any idea what our BB options are in Bweeng, Co.Cork?

From what I can make out our two main options are (bearing in mind there is no line broadband available in the village or surrounds) -

Ripplecom - 8mb/1 up - €44.99/month - 70GB Cap
    Nova Broadband - 20Mb/1 up - €56.99/month - Unlimited Downloads

We currently have ripplecom but the 70GB cap is catching us most months - anyone have an idea is there any other options? and anyone know what Nova are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

Hi,

Anybody has any information about the current situation in Farran, Cork? Is there uncapped internet available? We're currently on a lookout for a house and we may move there. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doodahump

Nova were great once but they have gotten to big.I and a neighbour have had issues for months with intermittent supply issues. i used to consistently test at 15MB but drops to terrible pings and speeds regularly now. May actually be because of Ripplecom broadcasts interfering with our signal i believe but basically Nova have sort of said thanks for the years of custom but good luck! Big change in approach. Oh well ....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Can anyone tell me the best broadband or e-fibre (is there a difference?) for North Strand/ Dublin 3? Not looking for TV really. Do we have to commit to that too?

Sorry if this is a repeat.

• Advertisement

doodahump wrote: »
    Nova were great once but they have gotten to big.I and a neighbour have had issues for months with intermittent supply issues. i used to consistently test at 15MB but drops to terrible pings and speeds regularly now. May actually be because of Ripplecom broadcasts interfering with our signal i believe but basically Nova have sort of said thanks for the years of custom but good luck! Big change in approach. Oh well ....
    Worth changing from Ripplecom I wonder? .. We are currently paying €55/ 70GB download limit and getting at best 2-3mb speed. Download limit catching us most months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

irishfeen wrote: »
    Worth changing from Ripplecom I wonder? .. We are currently paying €55/ 70GB download limit and getting at best 2-3mb speed. Download limit catching us most months.
    You can get that upped to 100Gb for an extra €5/month

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

rudiger2.0 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the best broadband or e-fibre (is there a difference?) for North Strand/ Dublin 3? Not looking for TV really. Do we have to commit to that too?

Sorry if this is a repeat.

No you don't have to have TV. UPC (if available at your address) offer broadband & phone packages on their own and currently have some good introductory offers for new customers. As for eFibre only Eircom have the TV in the form of eVision and that's optional too.

As for best broadband if UPC is available then that is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Which WISP operates in the Ballymote, Co. Sligo area please?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

€45 pm for unlimited Fibre and unlimited anytime landline calls with vodafone - doubt there's an offer that competes with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Which WISP operates in the Ballymote, Co. Sligo area please?

Go here and drop the marker on where you want to search and tick Wireless ISPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

still waiting for fibre in my area ...whats annoying is the housing estate only about 100 meters away can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I got rid of UPC a few months ago as it hadn't been working right for year, old modem which they refused to upgrade.

I got a meteor 4g thing an alternative, but it's ****e.
    I'm in Dublin 11, obviously UPC is an option, last time I checked Eircom wasn't.

Has anyone tried the Three Broadband? I have them for my phone and it works well.

eastyy wrote: »
    still waiting for fibre in my area ...whats annoying is the housing estate only about 100 meters away can get it
    Haha "annoying" that you are 100m from fibre .. We still haven't been upgraded from dial up - now that's "annoying" :)

Do you know anyone 100m away who could put the fibre in their place for you? If so, buy a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations and link your house to theirs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kelbal wrote: »
    €45 pm for unlimited Fibre and unlimited anytime landline calls with vodafone - doubt there's an offer that competes with that?
    For a fiver less UPC are offering
    Unlimited 120Mb broadband
    UNLIMITED calls to: local and national landlines
    400 minutes to 22 international destinations
    Horizon Phone app
    , you can use the minutes on your mobile phone over the an internet connection )
    Horizon Wi-Free , most UPC customers are now wifi hot spots
    http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

And you can haggle on prices on annual renewals , I'm getting the above for a good bit less.

if you pay €45 you get 240Mb and UNLIMITED calls to: Irish mobiles and local and national landlines.

and depending on where you live you also get 16 mostly FTA analog TV channels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Hi, in the Clonmel area looking for a new ISP. Currently on eFibre unlimited package, but it's fairly expensive. Was looking at Sky or UPC, but not sure how good their speeds are here. Currently getting 20mb down about 8mb up with all Ethernet ports on the router used up. Any help would be grateful, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ColinM9991

Hi, in the Clonmel area looking for a new ISP. Currently on eFibre unlimited package, but it's fairly expensive. Was looking at Sky or UPC, but not sure how good their speeds are here. Currently getting 20mb down about 8mb up with all Ethernet ports on the router used up. Any help would be grateful, thanks.

4260288999.png

Cork area tested to Dublin

UPC's 240Mbit package with my own router in bridge mode.
    The Cisco modem/router they give is extremely terrible at routing & handling overhead, and you can unintentionally do a 'denial of service' on your own by downloading large files on two PC's at once, but getting your own router and bridging it can solve almost any issues.

On HTTP I'll get about 10MB/s down speed, I got 20MB/s peak on Steam yesterday (Gaming app), upload speeds are great too seeing that I work tech support and need to upload 8GB's of data at times for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

What's the best way of getting internet access apart from internet cafes. Do I need to buy a dongle/package? Notice Three don't cover a lot of countries so would appreciate some advice as to what I need to do to avoid big charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

maringo wrote: »
    What's the best way of getting internet access apart from internet cafes. Do I need to buy a dongle/package? Notice Three don't cover a lot of countries so would appreciate some advice as to what I need to do to avoid big charges.

Most hotels offer wifi nowadays and in some cities even public transport. So that might be an option. Alternatively if you can get a dongle that is sim free (not locked to any network) you can use a pay as you go sim and put whatever credit you need to cover your stay.

Just found this with regard to sim free mobile broadband modems.

http://www.expansys.ie/mobile-phones/3g+4g-dongles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Brolan

I'm about to move into a new apartment in Cork City. I've been told it's got Eircom lines and UPC isn't an option unfortunately. I do a lot of online gaming and watch a lot of youtube videos, it would be me and one other dude who also games. I'm not very familiar with the providers and packages in Ireland as I've just moved here so I was wondering what would be my best bet besides UPC. I'm willing to pay up for good internet, I'm sick of lagging out of games with my friends. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ColinM9991

Brolan wrote: »
    I'm about to move into a new apartment in Cork City. I've been told it's got Eircom lines and UPC isn't an option unfortunately. I do a lot of online gaming and watch a lot of youtube videos, it would be me and one other dude who also games. I'm not very familiar with the providers and packages in Ireland as I've just moved here so I was wondering what would be my best bet besides UPC. I'm willing to pay up for good internet, I'm sick of lagging out of games with my friends. Thanks.

'In my own experience' Eircom are a dreadful service, their forum over at their website more or less says it all too.

If UPC isn't an option then you really have no choice but to go with Eircom. Eircom & UPC have their own lines set down, all other ISP's rent lines off Eircom, so even though you may get a fresh-happy face; hardware wise you'll always get Eircom's lines which means going through Eircom's support via a middle-man such as Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi guys,
    Our contract with three is coming to an end soon and we are not renewing it. Looking for a new broadband provider with unlimited package. We have no landland (the house is wired for one though), eircom is not available here. What are our options? It would be for netflix, online gaming (xbox) and just general surfing the net.
    Thanks

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Where are you?

Offaly, we are thinking of Vodafone, 38e a month unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Guys, I am in Kilcornan Co Limerick (between Askeaton and Kildimo). Anyone have decent broadband or know how I can get it? I got satellite through Blue Sky Broadband a couple of weeks back but it is terrible. Avoid them at all costs. Dropped 270 quid on them for the worst service ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

PaidV wrote: »
    Guys, I am in Kilcornan Co Limerick (between Askeaton and Kildimo). Anyone have decent broadband or know how I can get it? I got satellite through Blue Sky Broadband a couple of weeks back but it is terrible. Avoid them at all costs. Dropped 270 quid on them for the worst service ever.

Presuming you've no fixed line broadband option available to you, then use this map. Drop the marker on your house and check the Wireless ISPs option, and you should see who is in your area.

There's no guarantee that they will hit your house, but they should do a signal test for free and for nothing.

An ex-work colleague lives in Askeaton and AFAIK he is with BBNet. I don't know what he thinks of them however.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Hi everyone, I'm in Sligo. Looking for unlimited broadband, 3 laptop users in the house, no iPads. Iphones all have unlimited data so only looking for broadband for 3 laptops.

Looking for broadband only, not phone, just had it disconnected there a few weeks ago. Vodafone at €38 a month looks the best offer at the moment. Am I missing out on any others or how does Vodafone compare in terms of service against Eircom or UPC.

Fastcom is available in Sligo, totally unlimited but €40 a month and I have to pay for the modem and the installation whereas Vodafone are free for both.

UPC and Eircom both seem expensive but would they be better than Vodafone for service and coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am trying to help an elderly friend in Spiddal Co Galway with getting Broadband. Does he have to go to Eircom to get a line installed before he can consider who to use ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Thinking of changing broadband from three to either Sky fibre unlimited or sky broadband unlimited or Vodafone Simply broadband. I'm in Letterkenny. Which would people recommend. Want it for use of 2 laptops, 1 pad and mobiles.

Does vodafone's fair use policy interrupt much in evenings or when a lot of people are on? Sky fibre unlimited is 100mb download and sky broadband unlimited is 25mb download, does the download make much of a difference?

Thanks

Advertisement