Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    its possible its only for business customers and no doubt they will get priority ie the ISP will make sure vectoring works properly.

The whole cabinet has to be switched to vectoring at the same time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote: »
    100m/bit has been talked about a lot. Is that all the CPE can actually manage? I had thought it was silly to have only 100m/bit lan on all the CPE that I have used so far on fiber. Of course I will be happy with 100 x 30 but 120 or 130 x 30 would be a really nice headline speed :)

Well the Eircom router and I believe the Vodafone router both have Gigabit LAN so they are capable of ore then 100mb/s

I hear that they have actually been able to get 130mb/s out of short distance lines, however it is likely that they are only going to sell them as 100mb/s

They do the same at the moment, my parents line is capable of 100mb/s without vectoring (they are about 10 meters from the exchange). But Eircom/Vodafone only sells 70mb/s to them on the line.

BTW It seems that vectoring won't bring any increase in upload speed, it maxes out at 20mb/s even with vectoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

One thing I've noticed in recent days has been my ping time's dropped significantly (well under 10ms to Vodafone and Digiweb speedtest.net servers).

Any idea why that would be? Speed hasn't changed we basically get 40MBit/s due to distance to cab.

Unlikely to be anything to do with vectoring? Or maybe they've just improved the backhaul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SpaceTime wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed in recent days has been my ping time's dropped significantly (well under 10ms to Vodafone and Digiweb speedtest.net servers).

Any idea why that would be? Speed hasn't changed we basically get 40MBit/s due to distance to cab.

Unlikely to be anything to do with vectoring? Or maybe they've just improved the backhaul?

Changes in big iron routing most likely. Your assigned BRAS might have changed even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I've noticed that the SNR on my Vodafone 70Mb line here in Greystones, Wicklow (LLU exchange) has improved from 14.5dB to 17.3dB downstream and from 15.1dB to 16.1dB upstream in the past couple of days. This is since a brief DSL outage at 6.20am on the 11th (not the normal IP address refresh). Sync speed is 71679 (was 71678) up and 20478 (was 20479) down. I'm wondering if they are testing the vectoring SNR impact prior to switching on the higher speeds? This is an almost doubling of my downstream SNR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is 20Mb up the fastest possible even with Vectoring? I have Sky so all this makes no difference to me anyway but I can dream... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Bk

"Connected Disconnected Disconnected Disconnected
    100Full Auto Auto Auto "

copy and paste from my vodafone hg658c. I think all the ports are 100m/bit. Would love to be wrong.

AlanS181824,

more than 20m/bit is definitely possible. even without vectoring I reckon my own line can do 30m/bit up. There is a lot of talk about vectoring enabling upto 40m/bit up...now that would be nice.

SpaceTime,

That is a really nice ping! I'm on vodafone and the best i get is 16-20ms. I long for the old days ping times (gdmt) sub 10 ms to Irish servers and 12-14 to the UK. Hopefully we'll all get some latency optimisation. I don't understand why the error correction is set so high, on very strong lines.

Fat-Tony,

There can be a natural rise and fall of the snr figures due to a few different factors. But you well could be right! I'll watch out for changes on my stats next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@Praetorian - your quoting doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps you are cutting off the quote tags?

As regards the SNR - a small change might be due to localised factors, but a doubling is unlikely I would think.

SpaceTime,

That is a really nice ping! I'm on vodafone and the best i get is 16-20ms. I long for the old days ping times (gdmt) sub 10 ms to Irish servers and 12-14 to the UK. Hopefully we'll all get some latency optimisation. I don't understand why the error correction is set so high, on very strong lines.

That's over WiFi (It drops to about 6-7ms on wired and closer to the full 40mbit/s)

3309055108.png
    --- www.google.com ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 10.903/12.939/14.048/1.006 ms

Our speed's not exactly blazing fast as we're quite a bit away from the cabinet, hopefully vectoring might see a bit of a speed-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭swoofer

how do you get those pings?? Mine are 35ms and speed is slightly faster down than yours but your upload is faster. I am about 800m from cabinet.

It could be down to the local aggregation nodes at my exchange (Wellington Rd). Maybe it just has better access to the core network or there are faster switches and routers installed?

Could just be fewer hops or something.

I doubt it's the local copper wiring.

I think I'm about 700 ish meters from the cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Different BRAS probably. Some lines run half way across the country to hit theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Although I use a mere fraction of my currant bandwidth, I WANT VECTORING NOW!

they could give you vectoring now... but then you would be bitching about how intermittent it was cos they did not test the software first.. :rolleyes: let them get the cabs upgraded tested and working first before they update the f1000's to use it

also let them try fix the unrelenting storm damage too while they are at it.. you whine about speeds.. if you have service be glad of that alone... alot of people have no service... its not any isp's fault its the poxy weather tearing the sh!te out of lines causing problems... they can only do so much each day

The people dealing with vectoring (a software issue) and the storm damage aren't really connected.

they could give you vectoring now... but then you would be bitching about how intermittent it was cos they did not test the software first.. :rolleyes: let them get the cabs upgraded tested and working first before they update the f1000's to use it

also let them try fix the unrelenting storm damage too while they are at it.. you whine about speeds.. if you have service be glad of that alone... alot of people have no service... its not any isp's fault its the poxy weather tearing the sh!te out of lines causing problems... they can only do so much each day

What the hell was that?

I was messing, I have more speed now than I need. As for the storm damage, I never said a word about it. In fact, I never whined about anything at all. Relax man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What the hell was that?

I was messing, I have more speed now than I need. As for the storm damage, I never said a word about it. In fact, I never whined about anything at all. Relax man.

Freddy smelly doesn't get sarcasm....

Interesting my DSL connection dropped a while ago for a few mins.
    Wonder if that was an update going on?

I was just up a bit late with netflix on in background.

Never noticed it drop a connection before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Cork981

Interesting my DSL connection dropped a while ago for a few mins.<br />
    Wonder if that was an update going on?<br />
    <br />
    I was just up a bit late with netflix on in background.<br />
    <br />
    Never noticed it drop a connection before.

I also noticed my connection drop for a few minutes this time last week at roughly 12.30am.

I'm in the e church field exchange area.

Could easily be cabinets being upgraded.

Also IP remained the same afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Also had a drop in my download speed last night, upload was grand tho.. On the Dundalk exchange.

No change in my speed and ping's still <9ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Modem updated over night some new vector values displaying in the DSL statistics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

Last fritzbox update enabled vectoring.

Short loop bonded and vectored VDSL has a lot to offer in the near to mid future.

As uncool as copper is, it's still pretty amazing the amount of data that can be sent down 2 tiny little copper wires...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I got a call from my provider today to say that our broadband would be down for 10 minutes next tuesday at 00.10 for vector upgrades.

I was also told it would be 1 or 2 months before the upgrade is turned on.

100m/bit has been talked about a lot. Is that all the CPE can actually manage? I had thought it was silly to have only 100m/bit lan on all the CPE that I have used so far on fiber. Of course I will be happy with 100 x 30 but 120 or 130 x 30 would be a really nice headline speed :)

I wonder if we would be required to sign a new contract if we decide to upgrade :/

No change in my speed and ping's still <9ms

Are you still getting 9ms ping?

I'll check later.

I'll check later.
    Yeah, no bother. I was just wondering cause I was also getting under 10ms ping until couple of days ago, Now I am back to 20-30ms ping times. I think the update for enabling vectoring might have something to do with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Short loop bonded and vectored VDSL has a lot to offer in the near to mid future.

As uncool as copper is, it's still pretty amazing the amount of data that can be sent down 2 tiny little copper wires...

Agreed, though it should be pointed out that it is really fibre that is the power behind this (and also UPC's network). In the long term the key is to get Fibre closer and closer to peoples homes.

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Yeah, no bother. I was just wondering cause I was also getting under 10ms ping until couple of days ago, Now I am back to 20-30ms ping times. I think the update for enabling vectoring might have something to do with it.

Slightly higher alright but still not up at 20. Getting more like 12-15ms to most servers in Ireland.

It could equally be time of day too. Network's load may be determining routing.

From what I've read about it, I don't think Vectoring should have any impact on ping, although it'll be interesting to see how it impacts it.

Some of the old ADSL interleaving profiles definitely did increase ping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I wonder if we would be required to sign a new contract if we decide to upgrade :/

I would assume that we will all be upgraded automatically and there won't be any new contract.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Vectoring will be enabled soon. It won't effect me anyway but when I finally do get VDSL then it will be nice to be able to get faster speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Hopefully Vectoring will be enabled soon. It won't effect me anyway but when I finally do get VDSL then it will be nice to be able to get faster speeds.

been rolled on in parts of dublin this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭swoofer

lets hope someone from dublin will report back when it happens.

swoofer wrote: »
    lets hope someone from dublin will report back when it happens.

+1 To this. I would love to see their statistics.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Have noticed that my Vodafone router is reporting a higher Downstream SNR since yesterday , up from 6.2 to 19.9
    Attenuation hasn't moved ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

I believe that while vectoring may be enabled on the cabinet, it is up to the retail operator to then apply a higher rate profile on the line if one is available.

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Have noticed that my Vodafone router is reporting a higher Downstream SNR since yesterday , up from 6.2 to 19.9
    Attenuation hasn't moved ...

I have this same it went up to 20.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭_John C

Should be interesting to see this vectoring in action. We will have 100Mb during the day and 1Mb - 4Mb in the evenings.

_John C wrote: »
    Should be interesting to see this vectoring in action. We will have 100Mb during the day and 1Mb - 4Mb in the evenings.

Why would we have that?

Are you getting slow speeds in the evenings?

• Advertisement

Yeah. I'm still on ADSL2+ , 15 Mb daytime and around 3 Mb in the evenings. I've read posts from people with Vdsl who are also suffering slow speeds in the evenings.

Seems to be specific regions though from that thread mostly SE areas.
    Could be a fault that's reduced capacity across some route or something.

I'm in the SE alright ( south Tipperary )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Cork981

domeld wrote: »
    I have this same it went up to 20.5

Any chance of a screen shot of your stats page and firmware version ?

This looks interesting.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Any chance of a screen shot of your stats page and firmware version ?

This looks interesting.

See below

I'm in Carlow so hopefully Vectoring gets enabled for this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Hi.
    I've recently noticed on my eircom router page that my system uptime is different than my IPv4 uptime. Would this have anything to do with vectoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

been rolled on in parts of dublin this week

any idea of the areas where its rolling out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

kingtiger wrote: »
    any idea of the areas where its rolling out?

I know it's been enabled in Balbriggan

Definitely no change here in Cork (Wellington Road Exchange) yet anyway.
    ============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 5 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.297 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       16.6 dB            9.4 dB
                Actual Delay:          4 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        7.1 dBm          10.6 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.7 dBm          -9.1 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       20.8 dB           19.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     25.951 Mbps       59.620 Mbps

How does that compare to most?
    It's a fairly mediocre line as I'm about 750-800m from the cabinet I think.

Here is mine.

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 1 day: 21 hours: 43 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 11.1 dB 9.8 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.6 dBm 11.1 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.6 dBm -3.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 10.9 dB 14.5 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 32.816 Mbps 99.152 Mbps

• Advertisement