Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor/Cross Country Results 2012

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Was a good run in decent conditions with a wet track. Held off Tamsyn Manou (Lewis) down the straight.

Brilliant night of athletics. The set up showed what the organisers of the Irish Nationals do so wrong in terms of commentary, running time, food available etc,

Sally Pearson won the hurdles by half a mile in 12.50 and came back to win the 200 in 23.02 all after winning the 100 the night before.

Big talking point is that Mottram looked great again. Winning the 5k in about 13.20 destroying Collis Birmingham in the last 200 after looking strong all the way through. Olympic 5k spot secure.

And there was an excellent stream with commentary aswell.
    Lots to be learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Mad len runs 1:48:40 for 800m in Notr dame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

12.49 for Pearson in Melbourne, in March, with really weak opposition. Utterly ridiculous! She'll go 12.1x in London! Looks as big a dead cert for a gold medal as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

04072511 wrote: »
    12.49 for Pearson in Melbourne, in March, with really weak opposition. Utterly ridiculous! She'll go 12.1x in London! Looks as big a dead cert for a gold medal as anyone.
    Sally Pearson also clocked 23.02 for 200 last night.. She can't maintain this level but presumably she's going to ease down after world indoors before aiming to peak in London.

Sally Pearson also clocked 23.02 for 200 last night.. She can't maintain this level but presumably she's going to ease down after world indoors before aiming to peak in London.

The thing is though that this is not her level. This is below her level significantly. 12.49 is world class running, but to Sally it is easily within her capabilities. I really think she will break the world record in London. She is already running so much faster than she did at this time last year, and she always gets faster come European season. It is quite scary just how fast she could go. Some people believe that not only does she have great flat speed (capable of going 10.9) but also one of the greatest technicians the event has ever seen. A combination of these things = unbeatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

04072511 wrote: »

The thing is though that this is not her level. This is below her level significantly. 12.49 is world class running, but to Sally it is easily within her capabilities. I really think she will break the world record in London. She is already running so much faster than she did at this time last year, and she always gets faster come European season. It is quite scary just how fast she could go. Some people believe that not only does she have great flat speed (capable of going 10.9) but also one of the greatest technicians the event has ever seen. A combination of these things = unbeatable.
    She's an awesome bit a stuff as they'd say! I'm worried for her, it's nearly too good!?! I hope she does see it all through as I always feel sorry for the dead cert who misses out for whatever reason. Although for Dervals chances I should be wishing for a Pearson mishap! Have tickets for Monday August 3(?) morning which has the heats of the womens hurdles.

She's an awesome bit a stuff as they'd say! I'm worried for her, it's nearly too good!?! I hope she does see it all through as I always feel sorry for the dead cert who misses out for whatever reason. Although for Dervals chances I should be wishing for a Pearson mishap! Have tickets for Monday August 3(?) morning which has the heats of the womens hurdles.

The only way she wont win is if she gets injured or does something stupid like Lolo or Devers. If Sally runs in any way kind of close to her best she will win. There are not many that are capable of going sub 12.4. Maybe Lopes-Schliep when she comes back from pregnancy could manage this. However, Sally is capable of going Sub 12.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Tori Pena has qualified for the Olympics. She achieved the A-stanadard of 4.50m at the Cerritos College, Beach Track Classic in California last night.
    Ireland now have 14 athletes with the A-standard (6 men/8 women).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

David McCarthy comfortably makes the final of the Indoor NCAA mile running second in his heat.

http://www.flashresults.com/2012_Meets/indoor/03-09-NCAA/Results5-1.htm

9th in the final running 4.04. Probably will be disappointed after the early 3.55 but still a good indoor season from him.

http://www.flashresults.com/2012_Meets/indoor/03-09-NCAA/Results5-2.htm

• Advertisement

In his opening 20k walk of the season, Rob Heffernan posted a very impressive time of 1hr20:38mins for 6th place at the Lugano Gran Prix. Very encouraging form and his fastest time over 20km for 4 years.

Kate Veale claimed the U20 10k title at the Lugano race walking Grand Prix. She finished well ahead of the rest of the field with almost 3 minutes to spare over the 2nd placed athlete. Her time was 47:01mins. Her young athletics career just gets better and better at the moment.
    Olive Loughnane was 10th in the senior women's 20km walk in a time of 1:32:26mins. That's her season underway now, she should make some inroads on this time as the year progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭james1992

Dan man wrote: »
    Kate Veale claimed the U20 10k title at the Lugano race walking Grand Prix. She finished well ahead of the rest of the field with almost 3 minutes to spare over the 2nd placed athlete. Her time was 47:01mins. Her young athletics career just gets better and better at the moment.
    Olive Loughnane was 10th in the senior women's 20km walk in a time of 1:32:26mins. That's her season underway now, she should make some inroads on this time as the year progresses.

Kate's time was over a half a second off a 10km she did last year around the same time of year. Yes it was a good win all the same. Well done to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SeanKenny

In his opening 20k walk of the season, Rob Heffernan posted a very impressive time of 1hr20:38mins for 6th place at the Lugano Gran Prix. Very encouraging form and his fastest time over 20km for 4 years.

It was a very good walk by Rob Heffernan. One worrying thing is that he was almost three minutes behind Alex Schwazer and Yohann Diniz. They will be among the contenders for medals in London in both 20k and 50k (I am open to correction here as walking is not an area of great interest for me). Simply going on times, he appears up against it. Then again, like the marathon, anything can happen on the day.

SeanKenny wrote: »
    It was a very good walk by Rob Heffernan. One worrying thing is that he was almost three minutes behind Alex Schwazer and Yohann Diniz. They will be among the contenders for medals in London in both 20k and 50k (I am open to correction here as walking is not an area of great interest for me). Simply going on times, he appears up against it. Then again, like the marathon, anything can happen on the day.

I reckon his big chance is in the 50k, rather than the 20k. One worry is that by doing the 20k he may harm his chances in the 50k, though there is a 6-7 day rest between them, and also I guess by doing both events he doubles his chances (you never know what might happen in a race walk with DQ's, so maybe doing 2 events gives him a better chance). Would be great if the 50k, his stronger event, came first.

Thomas Frazer 4th in a good 8k road race int he States, only 2 seconds back from Abdi Abdirahman in 3rd.

A sign of good form if he is planning an attempt at the Olympic A standard in the next couple of months.

http://results.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=125274

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thomas Frazer 4th in a good 8k road race int he States, only 2 seconds back from Abdi Abdirahman in 3rd.

A sign of good form if he is planning an attempt at the Olympic A standard in the next couple of months.

http://results.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=125274[/QUOTE]

In the 10,000m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Cragg is down to run Carlsbad 5000 tomorrow. Usually a fast race, field seems pretty hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

According to the twitmachine it looks like a new Irish and European 5k road record for Cragg. 13:26 and 6th place.

Mairead Murphy scored 5,315 points in the heptathlon in Tucson, Arizona at the weekend. She is challenging strongly to break Sharon Foley's 15-year old Irish record of 5,394 points. Mairead was just 79 points short of that tally and looks likely to become the new Irish record holder in that event very soon. She will likely be disappointed not be under 14 secs in the 100 hurdles but a decent effort by the 22-year old Ferrybank athlete. Much more improvements to come. Here is a breakdown of her 7 event performances:

100m Hurdles 14.14secs (+1.3m/s) 959 points
    High Jump 1.66m 806 points
    Shot Put 11.37m 619 points
    200m 24.76secs (+1.4m/s) 909 points
    Long Jump 5.49m (+0.0m/s) 697 points
    Javelin 31.33m 502 points
    800m 2:20.02mins 823 points

• Advertisement

Mairead Murphy scored 5,315 points in the heptathlon in Tucson, Arizona at the weekend. She is challenging strongly to break Sharon Foley's 15-year old Irish record of 5,394 points. Mairead was just 79 points short of that tally and looks likely to become the new Irish record holder in that event very soon. She will likely be disappointed not be under 14 secs in the 100 hurdles but a decent effort by the 22-year old Ferrybank athlete. Much more improvements to come. Here is a breakdown of her 7 event performances:

100m Hurdles 14.14secs (+1.3m/s) 959 points
    High Jump 1.66m 806 points
    Shot Put 11.37m 619 points
    200m 24.76secs (+1.4m/s) 909 points
    Long Jump 5.49m (+0.0m/s) 697 points
    Javelin 31.33m 502 points
    800m 2:20.02mins 823 points

:eek: Javelin needs work methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

asimonov wrote: »
    According to the twitmachine it looks like a new Irish and European 5k road record for Cragg. 13:26 and 6th place.

Apologies if already answered elsewhere in this thread, anyone know if Cragg is attempting another shot at Olympic QT in the marathon, and if so when & where?

YFlyer wrote: »

http://results.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=125274[/QUOTE]

In the 10,000m?

I read somewhere that he was planning to run Boston or Rotterdam marathon, but could be wrong.

Just on the subject of the heptathlon, is it just me that thinks Kelly Proper could be decent at the multi-events if she decided to give it a proper go? She hasn't lived up to her potential in recent years over the long jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

wgtomblin wrote: »

I read somewhere that he was planning to run Boston or Rotterdam marathon, but could be wrong.

So he must be able to sustain close to that pace for the whole marathon then.

wgtomblin wrote: »

So he must be able to sustain close to that pace for the whole marathon then.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Mairead was just 79 points short of that tally and looks likely to become the new Irish record holder in that event very soon. She will likely be disappointed not be under 14 secs in the 100 hurdles

Thats her fastest season opener ever and about 6 weeks ahead of a normal season opener and in a multi event comp, so a pretty good run in fairness.

Advertisement