Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

joker77 wrote: »
    Have to stop reading this thread.

Too many fúcking blind idiots still trotting out the same old tired lines, based on the spin from Cancer Jesus.
    kenmc wrote: »
    The amount of fanboys still supporting him, on various comments associated with the news on all sorts of different sites is mindboggling. Worse than Apple fanboys they are. Talk about blinkered. I reckon if he started up a religion he'd be bigger than that Pope dude.
    Mindboggling really.

I'd say the reason people still support Lance Armstrong is they've read his books which by all accounts are well-written and have become emotionally invested in his undoubtedly inspirational story of personal achievement. It's psychologically difficult for people to break with a previously held narrative that they had a strong emotional attachment to.

Back in 1998, I was excited to watch star of the Tour de France start in Dublin. However, I became more cynical after the police later caught the Festina team doping. With the fast times and consistently strong day-to-day power outputs of the leading riders, I strongly suspected that doping was still an issue throughout the succeeding years.

In my opinion, for the years Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France, the results would best be annulled as doping was endemic among the leaders in those years. It'd be next to impossible to work your way down the list of winners to find a conclusively clean rider. It's probably best to simply leave those years without a winner, full stop.

I heard Paul Kimmage and Jeremy Whittle (author of Bad Blood) on the Pat Kenny radio show this morning. They certainly wasn't gloating and I don't think they were particularly optimistic that the UCI would fundamentally change their approach. Paul Kimmage recalled being in Paris in October 1998 while they were dealing with the aftermath of the Festina debacle and McQuaid was proclaiming the start of a new era of clean cycling. Kimmage reckoned there was a widespread sentiment that the UCI was taking the issue seriously and that now cyclists could compete on a level playing field. However, the fact that Lance Armstrong won the very next year and also tested positve for a banned steroid (cortisone IIRC), sent a signal to all the other pros that doping would be tolerated (in a make sure you're not caught or seen to be doping way). The UCI's decision to excuse Armstrong's test result, set the tone for the next decade or so and the potential window of opportunity for clean cycling was lost.

I'm personally even more cynical about the chances of cleaning up professional cycling. There was a lot of money to be made from pro cycling by having a celebrity such as Lance Armstrong attract the attention of the huge North American sports market. Under capitalism, such economic pressures will always in exist in every professional sport - whether one likes it or not.

Amateurs, as the name suggests, generally get into a sport for the love of it but as they rise through the ranks they face increasing pressures if they want to continue to win. It becomes as much about the resources available to the sportsperson (quality of trainer, equipment, pharmacological assistance that isn't yet banned or flagged by current testing methods, etc.) and not simply their personal attributes such as good genes and the determination that drives them to put in the thousands of hours of training.

No sport is free of doping but endurance sports such as cycling rely more on strength and stamina than pure skill. Sports such as boxing and soccer have a significant component of dexterity and agility which aren't as effectively enhanced through doping. It appears that most cyclists at the professional level have had to face the choice of taking EPO simply to be able to compete at the same level as their peers.

Given the history of doping in cycling throughout the last century (it is by no means a recent issue), I'd almost say that doping should be accepted as part and parcel of the profession but I still find it hard to let go of the romantic notion of the individual with personal drive and determination struggling against the odds to win. FWIW, Graeme Obree (the Flying Scotsman) is my favourite cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    raftni wrote: »
    one thing I don't understand.

Let's assume Lance was cheating from 1999 - 2005.

The heat would have been highest during that period.

1. Why retire, get away with it, and come back in 2009 and 2010 and dope again knowing that they'd be trying thrice as hard to catch him second time around???? seems like he had so much to risk in coming back, why would he come back and dope ''again''?

2. And why if these blood tests from 2009,2010 are deemed positive, why were they not deemed positive back in 2009, 2010 when they were taken?

Because he had an insatiable desire to win, an ego the size of Texas and is an extremely determined person.

Even after he retired the second time, he went back into triathlon and won two 70.3 races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

No
    raftni wrote: »
    2. And why if these blood tests from 2009,2010 are deemed positive, why were they not deemed positive back in 2009, 2010 when they were taken?

I don't for a second think he's innocent, but that's one thing that confusing me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

@raftni - He tested positive in 99 and they accepted a backdated prescription for the drugs. In the evidence ADA has for this charge it is also alleged the Cycling body covered up at least one other positive test.

Him being allowed back in when he had his comeback was controversial too as L'Equipe had published the story of his positive tests in 99 but the money from Nike etc. was too great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Why are people annoyed at Paul Kimmage? because he was right?
    I loved the description of him as a crap cyclist, RAS winner,6th in the amateur worlds, Pro tour level rider, Olympian, multiple grand tours.

if that's crap, what the hell is a Cat2 rider?

Why are people so annoyed at Kimmage and walsh who campaigned and wrote against the tide to promote cleaner sport? they never profitted like Ligget and Sherwin, never travelled in the private jet.

Cycling is cleaner and better because of a few people that actually like cycling as a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Did people really believe stuff like this was not drug fuelled? Starts at 7 minutes . Armstrong at 22 minutes plus

Below is the list of top 12 finishers. Underlined is if caught taking drugs.

1 Marco Pantani (Ita) Mercatone Uno-Albacom 4.15.11 (35.03 km/h)
    drug cheat

2 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service

3 Joseba Beloki (Spa) Festina 0.25
    investigated and cleared

4 Jan Ullrich (Ger) Team Deutsche Telekom 0.29
    drug cheat
    5 Santiago Botero (Col) Kelme-Costa Blanca 0.48
    investigated and cleared

6 Roberto Heras (Spa) Kelme-Costa Blanca

drug cheat

7 Richard Virenque (Fra) Team Polti 1.17
    Drug cheat

8 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Banesto 1.23

9 Manuel Beltran (Spa) Mapei-Quick Step 1.29
    Drug cheat

10 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Festina 1.31
    drug cheat

11 Kurt Van De Wouwer (Bel) Lotto-Adecco 1.36

12 Laurent Jalabert (Fra) O.N.C.E.-Deutsche Bank 2.01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

No
    I'm curious when are the UCI going to say anything, Pat is being quiet thus far and they will have to say something and soon I would think. As mentioned, this is not over yet and the UCI may take over where Lance has left off in trying to clear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Seriously??? 9 pages on this thread in 10 hours????? Must be a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

No
    Seriously??? 9 pages on this thread in 10 hours????? Must be a record.

Nobody's even mentioned helmets or bright coloured clothing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    alfalad wrote: »
    I'm curious when are the UCI going to say anything, Pat is being quiet thus far and they will have to say something and soon I would think. As mentioned, this is not over yet and the UCI may take over where Lance has left off in trying to clear him.
    The UCI nailed their colours to the mast weeks ago.
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12586/WADA-backs-USADAs-jurisdiction-in-ArmstrongUSPS-doping-investigation.aspx

Whatever they now say is meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

No

Did people really believe stuff like this was not drug fuelled? Starts at 7 minutes . Armstrong at 22 minutes plus

Below is the list of top 12 finishers. Underlined is if caught taking drugs.

1 Marco Pantani (Ita) Mercatone Uno-Albacom 4.15.11 (35.03 km/h)
    drug cheat

2 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service

3 Joseba Beloki (Spa) Festina 0.25
    investigated and cleared

4 Jan Ullrich (Ger) Team Deutsche Telekom 0.29
    drug cheat
    5 Santiago Botero (Col) Kelme-Costa Blanca 0.48
    investigated and cleared

6 Roberto Heras (Spa) Kelme-Costa Blanca

drug cheat

7 Richard Virenque (Fra) Team Polti 1.17
    Drug cheat

8 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Banesto 1.23

9 Manuel Beltran (Spa) Mapei-Quick Step 1.29
    Drug cheat

10 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Festina 1.31
    drug cheat

11 Kurt Van De Wouwer (Bel) Lotto-Adecco 1.36

12 Laurent Jalabert (Fra) O.N.C.E.-Deutsche Bank 2.01
    Botero was done as was Mancebo. So its Van De Wouwers stage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Irish Times calls it a "watching brief":
    The International Cycling Union (UCI) have issued a cautious response to the US Anti-Doping Agency’s (USADA) intention to strip Lance Armstrong of his seven Tour de France titles and hand the American a lifetime ban.

The UCI press release is:
    Press Release: UCI's statement on Lance Armstrong's decision

The UCI notes Lance Armstrong’s decision not to proceed to arbitration in the case that USADA has brought against him.

The UCI recognises that USADA is reported as saying that it will strip Mr. Armstrong of all results from 1998 onwards in addition to imposing a lifetime ban from participating in any sport which recognises the World Anti-Doping Code.

Article 8.3 of the WADC states that where no hearing occurs the Anti-Doping Organisation with results management responsibility shall submit to the parties concerned (Mr Armstrong, WADA and UCI) a reasoned decision explaining the action taken.

As USADA has claimed jurisdiction in the case the UCI expects that it will issue a reasoned decision in accordance with Article 8.3 of the Code.

Until such time as USADA delivers this decision the UCI has no further comment to make.

UCI Press Services

(I'm assuming that as it's a press release it's okay to post it in full.)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No
    Thats proper tiptoeing around from UCI compared to the more forthright statements made on their behalf of late. I think they will be circling the wagons to protect themselves.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,585 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    (I'm assuming that as it's a press release it's okay to post it in full.)
    Yep - it's copyrighted material we have a problem with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

No
    The UCI nailed their colours to the mast weeks ago.
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12586/WADA-backs-USADAs-jurisdiction-in-ArmstrongUSPS-doping-investigation.aspx

Whatever they now say is meaningless.

True but I'm still curious.

Edit: just saw Bunnyhopper's post. I note Pat has not said anything just a press release, probably a good thing for UCI but not nearly as entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do you have to know about cycling in order for it to be so obvious? As someone with no interest in the sport, nothing looks out of the ordinary in that video :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just to clarify the "authority" bit, I can see why it's in dispute looking at the anti-doping code.

Generally the code holds that if an anti-doping organisation (such as USADA) finds an athlete as having been in violation of the code during an individual competition, then the athlete's result in that competition is automatically disqualified. The governing body of the event does not have to decide to disqualify. So if, for example, USADA was to find that Usain Bolt was guilty of doping during a 100m win, then this result is automatically disqualified.

A second provision allows for the complete stripping of all results from an event at the discretion of the event's governing body. So in the Usain Bolt example above, he could be stripped of all results obtained at the Olympics, but only at the discretion of the IOC, USADA would have no authority to do this.

In both cases though, USADA would have to prove for each TdF that Armstrong had been doping. However another article (it's a big feckin legal document) states that when an athlete is retrospectively found guilty and banned, then all of the results they've obtained during their ban are also disqualified. So to go back to the Bolt example, if he was found guilty this year of having doped in 2008 and banned for 2 years, then all results and prizes he obtained during 2008, 2009 and 2010, would be disqualified.

This last article is probably what USADA are aiming for. If they can prove/declare that Armstrong was doping in 2000 (for example) and impose a lifetime ban, then all results he obtained after 2000 are automatically disqualified without having to go to UCI and IOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

No
    Found this on another thread.

let us pick one coincidentally chosen years, e.g. 2000

1. Lance Armstrong, doping
    2. Jan Ulrich, doping
    3. Joseba Beloki, doping
    4. Christophe Moreau, doping
    5. Roberto Heras, doping
    6. Richard Virenque, doping
    7. Santiago Botero, doping
    8. Fernando Escartin, doping
    9. Francisco Mancebo, doping
    10. Daniele Nardello, not tested positive for doping, but at Telekom, but remember the telekom-doping-scandal
    11. Manuel Beltran, doping
    12. Pascal Herve, doping
    13. javier Otxoa, not tested positive, but in a team with Escartin, Botero, Heras
    14. Felix Garcia casas, festina, team of Jan Ulrich
    15. Alexander Winokurow, doping
    16. Roberto Conti, doping
    17. Kurt van de Wouwer, no positiv doping, no scandals know. So he would be the first, where we could hope, that he is really clean. But......

Beloki is probably the "cleanest" of the Top 16 given he was briefly mentioned in Puerto and then cleared very early in the investigation.

When you read back and see this it makes you think about how much these guys destroyed themselves just to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No
    Dave! wrote: »
    Do you have to know about cycling in order for it to be so obvious? As someone with no interest in the sport, nothing looks out of the ordinary in that video :confused:
    Look at the final spurt, for example. The way that he accelerates at the end, blowing right past the rest of the field and looking like he was out on a Sunday cycle, is either one of the greatest sporting feats in recent history or the product of doping. It becomes even more incredible when you consider that the very people he demolished were themselves cheating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No
    EPO gave such massive benefits that noone who was not using it could compete with the known dopers there like Pantani.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Was asked to drop everything this morning and spend the day writing a profile of Armstrong for this week's Sunday Business Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No
    Was asked to drop everything this morning and spend the day writing a profile of Armstrong for this week's Sunday Business Post.

Class.
    Can you please please point out that the man had no style whatsoever.
    Nike black socks, I mean WTF.
    Also I am prett certain that I have seen pictures of him with arms of his shades inside his lid strap.
    These are heinous crimes against cycling - all the other stuff, that's just small beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Stripped of titles and banned for life. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Then GTF off Boards!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Lance Armstrong is a drug cheat.

I'm just saying that because I've never been able to say it here before.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,585 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Stripped of titles and banned for life. Wow.
    Yep - that's what you get for writing for the Sunday Business Post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Ten former teammates lined up and ready to testify against him.
    Can/Will this evidence be made public?
    Too important to be buried forever surely?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

No
    furiousox wrote: »
    Ten former teammates lined up and ready to testify against him.
    Can/Will this evidence be made public?
    Too important to be buried forever surely?

USADA have said that their findings will come to light in due course. I think that it is tied up to other cases that are pending such as Jonathon Vaughters, I think, so once that case is finished we'll probably see the evidence made public.

Advertisement