Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No
    I think the nine million in bonus payments he received for winning the tours would be alot more valuable loss than the ceremonial stripping, maybe he could play Prince Harry at Billiards! Celebrity stripping:D

The nine million bicycles in Beijing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jinkypolly wrote: »
    I really hope the titles are taken from him but I also hope they're not allocated to second place finishers, they shouldn't be awarded to anybody. The vacancies in the record books should stand as a permanent reminder, the nadir of the sport and hopefully as a line in the sand to mark the turn around point, it's own d-day.

soo WWII will remove less tdf's than lance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    Any word from the pros? Or is it the usual weasel words? How does Wiggins view one of his heros now?

Is Bassons the only rider to ever call out Armstrong? I know there is the Simeoni Incident but that was more to do with allegations about Michele Ferrari rather than Armstrong's super human performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CoachDudie

He hasn't given up. A cheat like this will try anything to get away with what he's done and he will have support.
    If he tried to fight these charges he would have lost, the evidence is stacked against him. He's trying to leave doubt in people's minds with his I wont get a fair trail nonsense.
    Also his words of 'I've had enough' will ring hollow when he tries to clear his name using a different path. One more friendly to him.
    It's always a great day when a cheat gets taken down, all we can hope is that it wont be 2021 before we take down the big athletics cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

No
    SetOverSet wrote: »
    What happens to the yellow jerseys? If Ulrich, an admitted doper, is promoted, he'll become a four-time winner - more than LeMond...
    This really is pretty damning for Armstrong though - if he was able to beat Ulrich, a very talented guy doped up to the gills, we are being asked to accept that Armstrong was so much more talented (and much more talented than the other top guys who have admitted doping) that he still won all those Tours. I wonder is there an overlap between those who think he was clean and those who still believe in the tooth fairy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

No
    Have Strava removed juanpelota's KOMs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

No
    I don't know how much doping adds to your cycling but Armstrong was a very good cyclist at least so why did he dope ? So much of le tour for the decade or so he was on it was just about doping when they should have been talking about developing cycling. I think most cyclists aren't up to the grand tours, times are slow and its just watching the peloton making it over the line. Some of those races were just too good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

What would the tdf be without chemical enhancement...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No

Errr, yeah....I think we all know that Lance was really rooting for Globo-gym, because they were cheaters.

Whatever happened to not quitting Lance? Who is the one feeling ashamed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Errr, yeah....I think we all know that Lance was really rooting for Globo-gym, because they were cheaters.

They have to put this not quitting line into south park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

HaHa brill

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Armstrong was operating at a time when drug taking was all over the shop. He did not invent it and was not the only guy to deny taking drugs.In fact in looks like very few of the top riders didn't take drugs. As the brilliant video above points out he did have a body ripped apart by cancer and also had to go through massive amounts of cancer treatment.

He has however done a lot of good work, yes based on the lies about taking drugs, but still good work. His charity has raised over 400 million dollars for cancer research. yes this may be related to his ego, but so what. many other riders took drugs, but how many have given back what he has?

No Backman turner overdrive references please

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No
    Armstrong was operating at a time when drug taking was all over the shop. He did not invent it and was not the only guy to deny taking drugs.In fact in looks like very few of the top riders didn't take drugs.

He has however done a lot of good work, yes based on the lies about taking drugs, but still good work. His charity has raised over 400 million dollars for cancer research. yes this may be related to his ego, but so what. many other riders took drugs, but how many have given back what he has?

No Backman turner overdrive references please
    Livestrong does not raise money for cancer research. It is for support services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

No
    CoachDudie wrote: »
    all we can hope is that it wont be 2021 before we take down the big athletics cheat.

Who's the athletics cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No
    so much bitterness and hatred for him, i'm suprised at the sheer depth of it to be honest.

but I reckon raising half a billion for charity is worth more than any titles or achievements that he’s had in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Any word from the pros? Or is it the usual weasel words? How does Wiggins view one of his heros now?

Is Bassons the only rider to ever call out Armstrong? I know there is the Simeoni Incident but that was more to do with allegations about Michele Ferrari rather than Armstrong's super human performances.

In the full transcript of Vaughters' recent interview he described how Bassons was pretty much an outcast in the peloton
    Did he really choose to walk away? He was treated pretty poorly.
    He was made fun of and pushed away because he was outspoken about it. I’ll tell you, I don’t know if he remembers or not but I would come up to him, and I didn’t speak much French at the time but I would pat him on the back and say, ‘Hey, how are you doing?’ I’d try to talk to him and encourage him because I felt like what he was doing was right. But I didn’t want anyone to see me. I felt like what he was doing was correct and quite frankly, it was not very courageous of me. I would try to talk to him quietly when no one was looking and say, ‘Hang in there,’ but did I ever do that publicly or loudly? No.

It’s interesting that being clean and outspoken led to poor treatment, but you felt it was such a toxic environment that even supporting him was dangerous. Why was that? I mean, if most of these guys don’t want to dope, then why would it be unpopular to support the guy who was saying he was clean?
    Yeah. Because of the group. It was the whole peloton. It wasn’t one person, the pack was angry at him for talking about doping.
    http://www.bicycling.com/print/67431

Sad and pathetic... I hope Christophe allows himself a wry smile today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

No
    Oryx wrote: »
    Livestrong does not raise money for cancer research. It is for support services.
    Is it not even less than that? The promotion of cancer awareness? I'd post a link to the site but it's dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bettyswollocks

He is not short of a few bucks. I dont think he could care less about any of the media storm around him.

http://realestalker.blogspot.ie/2009/01/lance-armstrongs-hill-country-hideaway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Idleater wrote: »
    Is it not even less than that? The promotion of cancer awareness? I'd post a link to the site but it's dirty

Here are the programmes livestrong currently supports

http://livestrong.org/What-We-Do/Our-Actions/Programs-Partnerships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

He is not short of a few bucks. I dont think he could care less about any of the media storm around him

Probably just as well because no doubt SCA (and probably a few others) will be looking for their $9.5 million back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I am just wondering has there been any physical evidence presented against him?

All evidence is circumstancial and from witnesses who can easily be discredited.

So they have the powers to strip the titles based on this? that is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

kilns wrote: »
    I am just wondering has there been any physical evidence presented against him?

All evidence is circumstancial and from witnesses who can easily be discredited.

So they have the powers to strip the titles based on this? that is wrong

I'm pretty sure that there was a very strong case both physical and circumstantial ready to be presented and that is why Armstrong has taken his current course of action! In my opinion if he had thought he had any chance of winning he'd have fought "tooth and nail"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    kilns wrote: »

No it is direct witness testimony. Not circumstantial evidence.

George Hincapie (Lance's brother in the peloton) cannot be easily discredited by Armstrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

just listened to a Paul Kimmage audio clip on Newstalk, has he ever been tested for bile?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

They can strip medals from him as he is not contesting the charges. I personallythink he is doing it because they have evidence and he won't win. This way he gets to continue his charade.

L'Equipe reported before his comeback that 4 of his samples from his first Tour de France win in 99 tested positive for EPO. Everyone else on that team has either tested positive for EPO or blood doping. He managed to win 7 tours in a row against convicted dopers.

It is a sad day for cycling but not as sad as if nothing was done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    so much bitterness and hatred for him, i'm suprised at the sheer depth of it to be honest.

but I reckon raising half a billion for charity is worth more than any titles or achievements that he’s had in his career.

I feel no bitterness or hatred towards Armstrong - I just want him exposed for the cheat that he is.
    And regardless of how much money he raised for charitable causes this is about the bike.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have to stop reading this thread.

Too many fúcking blind idiots still trotting out the same old tired lines, based on the spin from Cancer Jesus.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    joker77 wrote: »
    Too many fúcking blind idiots still trotting out the same old tired lines, based on the spin from Cancer Jesus.
    Let's keep this civil - no personal attacks on individual posters or groups of them, or you'll get infracted or banned for abuse

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 raftni

one thing I don't understand.

Let's assume Lance was cheating from 1999 - 2005.

The heat would have been highest during that period.

1. Why retire, get away with it, and come back in 2009 and 2010 and dope again knowing that they'd be trying thrice as hard to catch him second time around???? seems like he had so much to risk in coming back, why would he come back and dope ''again''?

2. And why if these blood tests from 2009,2010 are deemed positive, why were they not deemed positive back in 2009, 2010 when they were taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Quote of the day:

"Lance Armstrong is taking his ball and going home!"

Advertisement