Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

blackcard wrote: »
    Is this an example of the "wit" that the dubs are supposed to have?

Jesus, lighten up. It's gonna be a long 6 months, if we can't take the piss out of ourselves in our own flippin' thread. :rolleyes:

Corny, it's near Leitrim....take a left in Roscommon (where ever that is,) take the second right after the church and it'll be on the right. If you wind up on Valencia Island, you've gone about 200 yards too far.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

frankled wrote: »
    Hotels booking up/booked up already. Just got mine- in case anybody is thinking of staying for the match.

Bank holiday weekend- also same weekend as Cat Laughs I've heard.

Prices are certainly set very high for that weekend..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blackcard wrote:

https://youtu.be/q_a1wxqloEs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

blackcard wrote: »

Give yourself one. Take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Patser wrote: »
    Edit: on a more serious note, the Leinster Gaa website is already showing the game as a Saturday 7pm throw in on 4th June. Ok it's a bank holiday weekend, but will make for awkward homeward journies especially if you want to make an evening of it.

Try a 7pm throw in Dublin when you live in Gweedore :P:D

Glad you are getting down the country, sick of seeing people crying on social media every year about "home games" and "favouritism" and other such bollocks.

Funny banter on the Twitter machine, 'twixt Richie Hogan (whoever he is) Jack McCaffrey, Mossy Quinn & Philly McMahon on The Trip. :D

Glad you are getting down the country, sick of seeing people crying on social media every year about "home games" and "favouritism" and other such bollocks.

Imagine if we lose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Slattsy wrote: »
    Imagine if we lose...

What if it's a draw ? .. do we get Croker for the replay :D

DoctaDee wrote: »
    What if it's a draw ? .. do we get Croker for the replay :D

No. We play non Dublin based replays in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cwark. I think it's been a rule since '83.

We can call it The Trip Back To The Kip. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Great win by Cuala today. Not easy beating any Kilkenny team. Be good for Dublin hurling if they can drive on.

• Advertisement

Great win by Cuala today. Not easy beating any Kilkenny team. Be good for Dublin hurling if they can drive on.

Yeah would be a massive boost for the hurling club scene in Dublin - surprising in some respects but then again not in others to consider that Crumlin were the last Leinster Club winners in 1979

2016 league fixtures confirmed.

Round 1 Saturday Jan 30th - Dublin v Kerry, Croke Park, 7pm
    Round 2 Saturday February 6th - Mayo v Dublin, Castlebar, 7pm
    Round 3 Saturday February 27th - Dublin v Monaghan, Croke Park, 7pm
    Round 4 Saturday March 5th - Dublin v Cork, Croke Park, 7pm
    Round 5 Saturday March 12th Down v Dublin, Newry, 7pm
    Round 6 Saturday March 26th Dublin v Donegal, Croke Park, 7pm
    Round 7 Sunday April 3rd, Roscommon v Dublin, Dr Hyde Park, 2pm

Not a big fan of these 7pm starts. They were at bit of a novelty at first, but they are very hard on spectators from counties that are far away from each other. You'd be lucky getting home before midnight. Can't be all that easy on the players either. Plus, it's generally fcuking BALTIC at that time of the night. Coming back from Castlebar last March, I think I was in Kinnegad before my hands finally thawed out. :(

ProudDUB wrote: »
    2016 league fixtures confirmed.

Not a big fan of these 7pm starts. They were at bit of a novelty at first, but they are very hard on spectators from counties that are far away from each other. You'd be lucky getting home before midnight. Can't be all that easy on the players either. Plus, it's generally fcuking BALTIC at that time of the night. Coming back from Castlebar last March, I think I was in Kinnegad before my hands finally thawed out. :(

Yeah agreed I'm leaving Castlebar alone next year, its Newry and a visit to the graveyard in Roscommon for me

Yeah, we're lucky, we have motorways to most places we need to go, but Jesus, having to start the trek back to Donegal at 9 o'clock at night....that's very harsh.

Then again, I've been critical of the GAA for arranging games in direct competition to the Six Nations games, coz that's a fight that meaningless league games are never gonna win. It's no way to promote or grow the competition, but still....6 out of 7 games at night? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Try a 7pm throw in Dublin when you live in Gweedore :P:D

FFS.

Don't envy you pal.

If it were up to me, I'd have throw in no later than 4pm, unless the two counties are in the same province. Making people undertake a 3-4 hr road trip at nine o'clock at night, in winter driving conditions is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I like the later throw in times for the bit of atmosphere they tend to create.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I agree, those few league games that were in Croke Park on a Sunday afternoon had a desperate atmosphere.

The evening games often do have a great atmosphere alright, but I think that's down to the games being close fought affairs, with the eventual outcome often being decided in the final minutes. You can't beat that kind of excitement, even if its "only" the league.

Plus, those games are often against against our biggest rivals & the stronger teams that we have history with - Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone etc. (I wonder if the telly networks get a say in that, as Saturday night games get better ratings than Sunday afternoon ones do.) Those games are usually a cracker. The atmosphere in most of our league games against Mayo and Kerry, is better than most of the early round Leinster games imo, regardless of where/when they are played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I have to agree, the evening games are far better. You could be freezing your ar$e off at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon. I actually think more people go to the evening games, it gets a bit of better craic going when you can head in and have a couple beers or make an evening out of it.

Have they said what will be part of the Spring Series tickets? 3 or 4 games?

Four, as we have four home games this year. I think there is a double header on with the hurlers for the Cork game, but it will be on the same ticket. So it will be five, if you include the schtick fightin'. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Is it possible to get stand tickets on a Parnell terrace pass?

Wouldn't mind being undercover for the league games and as far as I know stand and Hill tickets are the same price for the league.

Yep. I'm a Hill PP holder, but I like being in the stand for the league. So I always ask for a stand ticket every year & they always give me one.

Btw, if you are a PP holder, there aren't individual tickets for individual games. You have to go into the DCB ticket office in Dorset St to collect your Spring Series ticket. It will be one master ticket, that gets you into all the home games. If you ask for a stand ticket, you'll have the same seat for all 4 games.

I make the most of the early season games knowing that they're more than likely the best seats we'll get all year on the PP- not that people stick with their assigned seat, but we're generally in the 304-306 for the Spring Series ...... the longer the year goes on, the further we're away from the halfway line and usually end up consigned to the rafters come September.

From what I can see come champo time that 304-306 block in the Cusack seems to be reserved to the mainpart anyway for our country brethern - there certainly was only a sliver of Dubs on the edge of 304 for the Mayo semi.

I've a feeling that the majority of the PP/Season ticket Dubs are now holed up in the Hogan ? - how times change as my perception was always that the Hogan was the culchie stand :D

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I make the most of the early season games knowing that they're more than likely the best seats we'll get all year on the PP- not that people stick with their assigned seat, but we're generally in the 304-306 for the Spring Series ...... the longer the year goes on, the further we're away from the halfway line and usually end up consigned to the rafters come September.

From what I can see come champo time that 304-306 block in the Cusack seems to be reserved to the mainpart anyway for our country brethern - there certainly was only a sliver of Dubs on the edge of 304 for the Mayo semi.

I've a feeling that the majority of the PP/Season ticket Dubs are now holed up in the Hogan ? - how times change as my perception was always that the Hogan was the culchie stand :D

It pleases me they had a nice view of their humiliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Will there be season review released of the Quadruple or will we have too be content with searching You Tube for the games ?

True, for example the league game against laois away a few years ago in the cold and rain that O'Gara played a stormer in or the called off game in Castlebar on the fog

Was nice to see AOS turn up at Croker for once last night ;)

(obviously helped not having 14 other bottlers playing with him)

Was nice to see AOS turn up at Croker for once last night ;)

(obviously helped not having 14 other bottlers playing with him)

Last night proved that AO'S is a brilliant full forward, when he has a good supply of high quality ball into him. He just needs to make sure that Bernard Brogan & Conor McManus are doing all the supplying from now on & he'll win the 2016 Footballer of the Year gong easy peasy. Best of luck with that Aido ! :p

Last night proved that AO'S is a brilliant full forward, when he has a good supply of high quality ball into him. He just needs to make sure that Bernard Brogan & Conor McManus are doing all the supplying from now on & he'll win the 2016 Footballer of the Year gong easy peasy. Best of luck with that Aido ! :p

I had carrots !

• Advertisement

I hope you feckin' choked on them ! :mad:

Next one without. Then I'll decide what way is best going forward!

Slats puts carrots in his coddle.

Feel free to subject him to as much abuse as possible people. :p

Tell tale

Tell tale

In the immortal battle of good vs evil, no stone goes unturned.

Ever ! :p

Looks like all of our 2016 football league games are going to be on Setanta & Setanta 1, except for the last round vs Roscommon.

http://www.dublingaa.ie/news/dublin-footballers-feature-prominently-in-setanta-sports-nfl-schedule

ProudDUB wrote:
    Looks like all of our 2016 football league games are going to be on Setanta & Setanta 1, except for the last round vs Roscommon.

I like their coverage.

Yeah, I really like Dave McIntyre, as a commentator, but Paul Early & a couple of the other ones, are like listening to pain dry. Just hope they are all on the regular Setanta channel that you get for free with UPC & not Setanta One that you have to pay for. With them showing two games that air at 7pm, I'd be surprised if they don't put at least a couple of our games on the pay channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yeah, I really like Dave McIntyre, as a commentator, but Paul Early & a couple of the other ones, are like listening to pain dry. Just hope they are all on the regular Setanta channel that you get for free with UPC & not Setanta One that you have to pay for. With them showing two games that air at 7pm, I'd be surprised if they don't put at least a couple of our games on the pay channel.

I'd say the game against the Evil Empire will be on Setanta 1.

I'd say the game against the Evil Empire will be on Setanta 1.

Yeah, it very well may be. But don't they normally broadcast the game that was on Setanta One, on the "regular" Setanta channel, a couple of hours later? So you'll still get to see it, it just won't be live.

Jebus that was close , heart goes out to PL all the same. That free to level it with 90 seconds left will haunt the lad.

Very close game. Well done BB.

• Advertisement

Fair to say Portloaise were probably the better team. Just shaded in my book, they looked more dangerous going forward.

What a wide though !!

Massive fair play to 'Boden. Massively deserved considering the calibre of some of the teams they have beaten. You really have to feel for Cahillane missing that free. He'll be having nightmares about that for a very long time.

It was a brilliant game to watch, but dear God,the pro Portlaoise bias on the radio commentary (from Carty and that Bernard Flynn eegit) was off the charts.

Slattsy wrote:
    What a wide though !!

It was a shocker

I thought my fear was going to be bad tonight, but knowing he'll be worse makes me feel a hell of a lot better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Talk in Indo of Danny Sutcliffe pulling off Dublin panel, would be a big blow for ye. Hopefully, if true, just for one year for him to focus on his studies. I'd hate to think their is any unease in the camp. Things were really starting to look up toward the end of Daly's tenure for Dublin hurling, 2013 in particular.

Talk in Indo of Danny Sutcliffe pulling off Dublin panel, would be a big blow for ye. Hopefully, if true, just for one year for him to focus on his studies. I'd hate to think their is any unease in the camp. Things were really starting to look up toward the end of Daly's tenure for Dublin hurling, 2013 in particular.

Just reading about this myself:

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/rlyons/reports-suggest-danny-sutcliffe-is-to-leave-the-dublin-hurling-team/

Doesn't sound too good.

The dogs on the street have known about serious unhappiness with GC for a long time. Whatever about on the pitch tactics and decisions, his man management skills leave a lot to be desired. Whether people want to admit it or not, that is just as important to the modern day player, as what happens on the pitch. It is something that the old fart, dinosaur brigade, who think that players should always put up an shut up, struggle with, but its a fact. These days, you ignore it at your peril.

All was not right with Danny last year. That much was obvious. If a few more players follow suit, it may prompt the county board to act in a swift and decisive manner. The last thing we need is a long drawn out affair, a la Galway & Mayo. Nor do we need people taking pot shots at players & spewing lazy & tired cliches....the players throwing their toys out of the pram being my favourite one....about things they know eff all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The dogs on the street have known about serious unhappiness with GC for a long time. Whatever about on the pitch tactics and decisions, his man management skills leave a lot to be desired. Whether people want to admit it or not, that is just as important to the modern day player, as what happens on the pitch. It is something that the old fart, dinosaur brigade, who think that players should always put up an shut up, struggle with, but its a fact. These days, you ignore it at your peril.

All was not right with Danny last year. That much was obvious. If a few more players follow suit, it may prompt the county board to act in a swift and decisive manner. The last thing we need is a long drawn out affair, a la Galway & Mayo. Nor do we need people taking pot shots at players & spewing lazy & tired cliches....the players throwing their toys out of the pram being my favourite one....about things they know eff all about.

Keaney's looking to retire, Danny confirmed as quitting the panel and with the dropping of Alan Nolan and Simon Lambert making some headlines today you're right; all is not well in the Dublin camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Keaney's looking to retire, Danny confirmed as quitting the panel and with the dropping of Alan Nolan and Simon Lambert making some headlines today you're right; all is not well in the Dublin camp.
    All has not been right since Carton left.

• Advertisement

But on the flip side, Danny was a pretty handy footballer, back in the day. Maybe he could light a fire under Flynner & Dermo's arses in 2016. The Good Lord giveth and the Good Lord taketh away ! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement