Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When it is due to open? the N25 wiki page really needs updating if someone is up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Amazing pics & vids thanks for sharing.

Anyone know the engineering reason why the bridge seems so high over the water? Is it something to do with the topography either side of the river or another reason?

It's because of it both being a navigable river and the elevation on the Kilkenny side.
    The land immediately adjacent to the river on the Wexford side is quite boggy so it also made sense to have that part elevated.
    Someone here I think, quoted one of the engineers, that coming off such a height on the Kilkenny meant that they effectively had half the bridge built already.
    We're a helpful lot on our side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

When it is due to open? the N25 wiki page really needs updating if someone is up for it.

Seems to be delayed until late 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Azatadine wrote: »
    Seems to be delayed until late 2019.

Is that official? Real shame if there is an 18 month delay!

Was that announced publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

blindsider wrote: »
    Is that official? Real shame if there is an 18 month delay!

Was that announced publicly?

It will open August 19 there 3 months behind

The barrow crossing 12/11/18
    QVGrF5I.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 12/11/18
    Wow - how high is that crane and how long does it take the crane operator to get up there? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

serfboard wrote: »
    Wow - how high is that crane and how long does it take the crane operator to get up there? :)

I'm sure he gets the crane operator to give him a lift up.... no, wait...:D

serfboard wrote: »

It takes 25 mins to get to the cab and he has to bring he's own bucket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

It takes 25 mins to get to the cab and he has to bring he's own bucket

Bucket? Bombs away I'd say.

MrDerp wrote: »
    Bucket? Bombs away I'd say.

Agreed, the prevailing winds would carry it to the river from that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

Great photo. Which FB Page was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

josip wrote: »
    It's because of it both being a navigable river and the elevation on the Kilkenny side.
    The land immediately adjacent to the river on the Wexford side is quite boggy so it also made sense to have that part elevated.
    Someone here I think, quoted one of the engineers, that coming off such a height on the Kilkenny meant that they effectively had half the bridge built already.
    We're a helpful lot on our side.

Will the Dunbrody ship be able to pass underneath with masts up if it ever decides to go for a jaunt?

Will the Dunbrody ship be able to pass underneath with masts up if it ever decides to go for a jaunt?

Very interesting question.
    Navigation clearance for the bridge is 36m. Would that be high or low tide?
    http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferences_and_seminars/nrc/nra-nrc-2017/5.4-Joe-Shinkwin-P-OLoughlin-N25-New-Ross-Bypass-TII-National-Roads-Conference-2017-.pdf

The height of the Dunbrody mainmast above the deck is 33.5m
    https://books.google.ie/books?id=QgMRudqoLGQC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=Dunbrody+mast+height&source=bl&ots=9UAyWQEL7g&sig=aXqyLaMu9sw8T_T-B4zOXW7xSj0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSsIX5z-PeAhUGKewKHRYbD9sQ6AEwDHoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=Dunbrody%20mast%20height&f=false

So unless the bridge clearance height is a hwm figure then it looks like the Dunbrody is stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Clearance is 36m at MHWS.

The mean high water springs (MHWS) is the highest level that spring tides reach on the average over a period of time so she should get through at low tide though I doubt she’ll ever leave her berth.

• Advertisement

This time last year Sean Connick said they hoped to get her into dry dock for maintenance.

Would that be across the river at Ross Company or would they have to go elsewhere for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

This time last year Sean Connick said they hoped to get her into dry dock for maintenance.

Would that be across the river at Ross Company or would they have to go elsewhere for that?

It was done earlier this year. She was moved to the New Ross shipyard dry dock for I think about six or eight weeks to be completely repainted etc.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/magnificent-dunbrody-returns-after-250000-refurbishment-36518136.html

The barrow crossing 14/11/18
    if7NRVy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭NedNew2

Recent video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

if7NRVy.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

if7NRVy.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Now, that's what I call a Skew Bridge..

hqdefault.jpg

"Escher! Get your ass out here!"

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Recent video

They probably are making some progress, but it seems like we have been looking at roughly the same pics for the last six months or more. No sign of the middle section being done.

You'd imagine it would take another year or more at this rate !

The barrow crossing
    tnxsXvE.jpg

VR6 wrote: »
    They probably are making some progress, but it seems like we have been looking at roughly the same pics for the last six months or more. No sign of the middle section being done.
    If you look closely you'll see the pillars being built from which the cables will be hanging off.

To get an idea of the timeline, a look at the Waterford bypass thread on here might help - that has a similar (if smaller) bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 makowski

22 months estimated work left

makowski wrote: »
    22 months estimated work left

Who's estimate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Will this bridge have a separate walkway/footpath?

hi5 wrote: »
    Will this bridge have a separate walkway/footpath?

As far as I know, no.

The barrow crossing
    1V9RNWG.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

With Applegreen refused planning permission at Ballymacar, anyone know where the nearest services outlet is going to be on this stretch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How much time will all these roads save in time from Waterford to Gorey non peak?

How much time will all these roads save in time from Waterford to Gorey non peak?

Not being smart, but zero saving on that route at non-peak times.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hardly. There will certainly be a time saving on going from the N30 to Glenmore at a constant 100km/h instead of having to slow down in New Ross and go through the town. Same with Enniscorthy being able to avoid the town. It won't be massive but it'll certainly help and save fuel.

marno21 wrote: »
    Hardly. There will certainly be a time saving on going from the N30 to Glenmore at a constant 100km/h instead of having to slow down in New Ross and go through the town. Same with Enniscorthy being able to avoid the town. It won't be massive but it'll certainly help and save fuel.

Big savings if you're driving a HGV alright by not having to go the Ring Road in Ross, but for everyone else, no more than a couple of minutes.

The OP mentioned non-peak times, so I'm assuming no traffic delays.
    Best of luck keeping a constant 100km/h at the roundabout at the bottom of Glenmore Hill coming from Waterford taking the 3rd exit.
    And let me know how you get on going through the Ballymacar roundabout and the N30 tie in roundabout at 100.
    https://www.bamireland.ie/our-work/bam-civil/roads/n25-new-ross-ppp-scheme/

If you follow the Enniscorthy bypass, it's longer than today's route.
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/Roads/M11%20Gorey%20to%20Enniscorthy%20PPP%20Scheme%20Route%20Map.pdf
    Most people I know go Carley's Bridge and the Moyne at the moment.
    The new bypass comes back on itself after the Bunclody road roundabaout.
    I expect it will be heavier on fuel due to the longer distance and the higher speed on the M11 part.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

marno21 wrote: »

I'd also add that in my time driving through Ross, peak or non peak time, it's rare not to have a HGV or some other slow moving vehicle in front. Not alone will the bypass mean that these vehicles won't be trying to manoeuvre through Ross but dual carriageway will also allow passing opportunities.

The barrow crossing 07/12/18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Really impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

There's a small section of new road NE of New Ross, and it includes a new Roundabout. Unfortunately, any small gain is offset by the awful roadworks at the junction of the N30/R700.

I know they're necessary, and I hope they're completed soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Looks like they have the first cables installed from the video M17 posted, good to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 toof

There are lots of pictures and videos of the bridge on the insta_mavic Facebook page and YouTube page. Some have been posted here with the watermark cropped off. Credit should be given to the photographers of all photographs.

https://www.facebook.com/instamavic/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb9HdOgppFptbqzwVniVHTQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The new roundabout on the Wexford side was in use this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I reckon avoiding New Ross will save 10 mins.

There are great views available now of this project on Google Maps (Satellite) - including junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

alta stare wrote: »
    I reckon avoiding New Ross will save 10 mins.

At off-peak times I'd say 10 mins is about right. Peak times would be 20 - 30 I'd say.

Youghal bridge next please, thats gonna be my next pet project!

The barrow crossing 09/12/18 the cable tower is starting to take shape pic fb page
    zL33FZs.jpg

The barrow crossing 09/12/18 the cable tower is starting to take shape pic fb page
    zL33FZs.jpg

From which fb page?

The barrow crossing 11/12/18
    gEXsDgK.jpg

The barrow crossing 11/12/18
    gEXsDgK.jpg

This picture along with the last you posted were taken on the 4th of December. Credit to insta_mavic for both.

https://www.facebook.com/instamavic/photos/pcb.2395195700701387/2395194030701554/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
Advertisement