Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Kennedy Family were worshiped without question in Ireland back in the day. The Dad Joe Kennedy's activities in the 20s and 30s are rarely spoken about, his bootlegging operation and Hollywood film Studio business which he used as a base to extort and strong arm other studios to give over money to an up and coming Sam Giancana in the 'Chicago Outfit' (The Italian Mafia in Chicago which Al Capone ruled up untill 1929).

Any good political buff will notice the name Giancana come up again in 1960, when Joe is trying to get his boy into office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

"Before I even start"... what?
    Anyway, there isn't sufficient evidence to just decide the McCanns murdered their daughter; this is fact, my opinion doesn't even come into it.
    I'm not saying people can't *suspect* them (I can see where people are coming from) but suspicion is not enough to make something fact.
    Yes the Robert Murat case was disgusting - no arguments from me there.
    I agree with you about the class angle and I think it was appalling of them to leave the children without a babysitter - I am not saying the McCanns are angels.
    I am just saying though that they're not sacred cows - they may be defended a lot but they are also slated a lot. A sacred cow is someone or something that is virtually never criticised.

What about the x2 British Police dogs , Eddie & Keela ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's too late for me to get into a massive debate, and you always drag me into defending falsities and making long paragraphs with, what is (and no offence intended), merely whataboutery on your part a lot of the time. Genuinely, not trying to be a dick when I say that. :P I'll probably be unable to prevent myself from responding with something longer tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Finally, regardless of experience, someone at that age should not be put in that position by a national broadcaster. Which was my main point, I thought it was totally wrong and exploitative. You may not be aware, but in TV guides and other forms of media at the time it was described as him discussing depression, not just young people. So, whether this was unintentional or not it became a subject about depression and was seen as one.

Man, I'm out for tonight. A spiel of a post, as per usual when I talk to you. And I was trying to keep it brief. :P :D

I'll keep it brief then - Donal Walsh was by no means protected from vilification. He was as entitled as you or I to express his opinion in the national media and get his message out there using whatever means possible. He did so and I admire him for that. Some people don't, and some people blame the media for exploiting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dirtyden wrote: »
    Who did they rob?
    Let me see the players come to mind first, they don't get paid and the fat cats in the gaa making money off them. Then the overpriced tickets for the drones that pay for them.

What's with the Obama mentions? I've seen people actually call him a nazi, not simply compare him to one but deem him one. He's so little of a sacred cow that people who don't even know what they're criticising, criticise him. He is one of the most fashionable public figures to criticise

Yeah, his insight into theoretical physics is just... talking "through his arse". Quite.
    I was wondering how long it would take before a hawking worshiper came along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Don't start on Trent or we'll send FaceKicker after you!

Trent is a gob****e. ...was a gob****e...facekicker too

dirtyden wrote: »
    No it goes back into facilities in clubs around the country and into games development.
    Some of it ;)

The Kennedy Family were worshiped without question in Ireland back in the day. The Dad Joe Kennedy's activities in the 20s and 30s are rarely spoken about, his bootlegging operation and Hollywood film Studio business which he used as a base to extort and strong arm other studios to give over money to an up and coming Sam Giancana in the 'Chicago Outfit' (The Italian Mafia in Chicago which Al Capone ruled up untill 1929).

Any good political buff will notice the name Giancana come up again in 1960, when Joe is trying to get his boy into office.
    The son JFK was no angel either if only the holy people of Ireland knew what a womaniser he was, they'd be shocked :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He surely did. Was called out for it on here though, if I recall. Nothing gets past us boardsies. :D

Sad case of exploitation really. Sad in many other ways, obviously. He did a lot of great work raising money and that was what should have been focused on. Totally RTE's fault IMO, he was too young to fully understand the effects of depression, nevermind be given the medium to talk about it to thousands of people. Someone involved in production should have stepped up and prevented it.
    I honestly don't understand what he's supposed to have done from the 20 posts about it in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Paul O'Connell, mostly out of pure fear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Elaine O Hara - she was pretty sick and twisted also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Majella O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Field east

martyos121 wrote: »
    Paul O'Connell, mostly out of pure fear.

About the only name proffered so far that is entitled to be treated as a sacred cow. His honesty, endeavour, commitment, application, lack of ego, etc, while putting his health - both short and long term - on the line for Ireland, Munster and the Lions ,is beyond reproach. I am always of the opinion that with him, you always get what you see. Never met the man but there is something about him. For that matter have met with none of the rest either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Elaine O Hara - she was pretty sick and twisted also

That is a very unfair thing to say about someone who was murdered. She was many things, but not sick and twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Greenpeace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Thargor wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand what he's supposed to have done from the 20 posts about it in this thread?

I went looking it up too. Seems he was doing good work in raising awareness and funds regarding cancer, then he went into an unexpected and very uninformed and patronising diatribe about it being unfair that kids were committing suicide when he was going to die and had no choice.

It's at the bottom of this page: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/donal-walsh-i-wanted-to-live-to-play-for-munster-to-travel-the-whole-world-29194810.html

There is a big problem with suicide amongst the young and this berating "How very selfish! How very dare you!" uninformed scolding does absolutely nothing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Field east wrote: »
    About the only name proffered so far that is entitled to be treated as a sacred cow. His honesty, endeavour, commitment, application, lack of ego, etc, while putting his health - both short and long term - on the line for Ireland, Munster and the Lions ,is beyond reproach. I am always of the opinion that with him, you always get what you see. Never met the man but there is something about him. For that matter have met with none of the rest either

Not arguing that by any means, but I just never heard a bad word said about him. He is an absolute hero as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Muhammad Ali.
    He was big into racial segregation, he treated Joe Frazier like a piece of shíte after he was the only one that would help Ali during his exile.

Bressie attains temporary Sonic-the-Hedgehog-esque invulnerability for a few days after talking about his mental health issues on the national airwaves (even if the main purpose of the interview was to promote his latest terrible show/album)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cienciano wrote: »
    Muhammad Ali.
    He was big into racial segregation, he treated Joe Frazier like a piece of shíte after he was the only one that would help Ali during his exile.

He would refer to him as the gorilla. If you ever read the Bumpy Johnson book you'll learn that there was a thing between the light mixed guys like Ali and the black as the ace of Spades guys like Frazier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I'll keep it brief then - Donal Walsh was by no means protected from vilification. He was as entitled as you or I to express his opinion in the national media and get his message out there using whatever means possible. He did so and I admire him for that. Some people don't, and some people blame the media for exploiting him.

I don't remember any vile or abusive posts or comments directed at him, so I'm not sure where you're getting this "vilification" from? Perhaps nasty posts were deleted by mods, I don't know. But strongly disagreeing with him is not vilification. You are right in that he is entitled to his opinion, and with that he let his opinions open for criticism. It was certainly taboo to criticise his beliefs publicly, in fact, it was generally greeted with a pretty defensive and aggressive response. Hence him being mentioned in this "sacred cow" thread.

Freedom in general is something I'm an advocate for, annoyingly and possibly unfeasibly so at times. I would never deny his right to express his opinion, as damaging I think they may have been. With freedom comes responsibility however, and RTE failed in theirs by allowing a young terminally ill boy talk about a sensitive and controversial issue on a form of media that reached the entire country and beyond.

We probably won't see eye to eye on it, tbh. Just a difference in opinions I guess. Arguing over whether it had a positive effect on more people than it had a negative effect is pointless. We don't know, and have no way of ever knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Ignore my first message of the double post. My edit/delete function is not working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Hugh Heffner

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Katie Taylor - Ok a few idiots may mock her for the way she talks, but apart from that she's pretty close to being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Kurt cobain.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Muslim women covered head to toe and the husband walking uncovered beside her. Sorry but that is unacceptable in this day and age.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Muslim women covered head to toe and the husband walking uncovered beside her. Sorry but that is unacceptable in this day and age.

This is something regularly and openly criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I went looking it up too. Seems he was doing good work in raising awareness and funds regarding cancer, then he went into an unexpected and very uninformed and patronising diatribe about it being unfair that kids were committing suicide when he was going to die and had no choice.

It's at the bottom of this page: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/donal-walsh-i-wanted-to-live-to-play-for-munster-to-travel-the-whole-world-29194810.html

There is a big problem with suicide amongst the young and this berating "How very selfish! How very dare you!" uninformed scolding does absolutely nothing to help.

Neither though does the near martyr like sanctification of suicides, since this is a thread about sacred cows I might as well add them to the list. And it is a selfish act, there's no denying that. A friend of mine went through a very dark period and managed to come out the other side, he admitted to me that he had at one point contemplated suicide, and only the thought of how beyond devastated his mother would have been by such an act prevented him from acting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

steddyeddy wrote: »

Most Muslim women dressed like that choose to dress like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Princess Diana. (the dead grandmother of the royal baby girl born yesterday)

The whole royal premise thing seems to me like a brain washing exercise so throw in controversy etc.... yes its a story with tragic consequences but again, based on something I don't really get.

Advertisement