Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Have you seen the film?
    Everyone in the Republic of Ireland remembers where they were when they heard that Veronica Guerin had been murdered on the Naas Road.

That was a bit of cringy line in the script

And ignoring threats while you have a young family and sensationalising criminals in the Sunday Independent does not make you a saint. Turned them into celebrities.

Paul Williams writes much the same style and gets slated for the standard of his journalism

The thread is for sacred cows. She got plenty of criticism when she was alive and was called a publicity seeker and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Travellers and muslims and gay people and black people will obviously be included but they're all regularly criticised.

There's at least a couple of posters I've noticed who would hold those groups under "sacred cow" status. I mean criticizing notorious traveller behavior, The Halawa family and the Baltimore riots just doesn't bode well with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Mary Sue. Seems like everyone loves her but I just don't get the adoration personally. I think she's a bit fake.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mary+Sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Che Guevara.. was a pretty homophobic guy tbh

He also made overtly racist at times.
    There's an extensive list of racist remarks that are attributable to him on a wiki quote page.
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Che_Guevara.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Constantly being criticised - the McCanns to the point of being regularly accused, not just suspected of but accused, of murder, with zero concrete evidence.

In your opinion.

The way murak was accused by one of the friends of the mccanns was disgusting.

And before you even start, it's a class thing. If the McCanns were chavs and not doctors with friends in very high places, the outcome would be very different. Leaving the kids at home to go drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

How is that a punchline? A punchline complements a feed line, creating a joke.

See this example, from Les Dawson.

Feed line: "There is a remote tribe that worships the number zero."

+ Punchline: "Is nothing sacred?"

= Joke

Sadowitz's line is not a punchline. It's just a sentence.

I didn't say it was a good punchline. In this case, it adds a pretext to the feed line: The pretext being that Sadowitz had lent Mandela a fiver, and then never saw him again (because he was imprisoned in 1962, and hadn't been released yet). The joke falls down on two scores though - firstly, it's highly unlikely that Sadowitz wouldn't have known that the high-profile Mandela had been imprisoned and therefore unable to repay the small debt. Secondly, Sadowitz was only one-year-old in 1962 and therefore wouldn't have had either the financial means or the intellectual capacity to lend a South African resistance leader a fiver.

I hope this clears things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

microsim wrote: »
    In your opinion.

The way murak was accused by one of the friends of the mccanns was disgusting.

And before you even start, it's a class thing. If the McCanns were chavs and not doctors with friends in very high places, the outcome would be very different. Leaving the kids at home to go drinking.
    "Before I even start"... what?
    Anyway, there isn't sufficient evidence to just decide the McCanns murdered their daughter; this is fact, my opinion doesn't even come into it.
    I'm not saying people can't *suspect* them (I can see where people are coming from) but suspicion is not enough to make something fact.
    Yes the Robert Murat case was disgusting - no arguments from me there.
    I agree with you about the class angle and I think it was appalling of them to leave the children without a babysitter - I am not saying the McCanns are angels.
    I am just saying though that they're not sacred cows - they may be defended a lot but they are also slated a lot. A sacred cow is someone or something that is virtually never criticised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

deseil wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela

Good one,The man was a monster no matter how its sugar coated,FFS He went to jail and then presided over one of the most corrupt states known to man,He allowed social corruption business corruption and stripped the whites and blacks of their wealth while rewarding big american business and failing to combat hate killings and the general murder rate. Instead of trying to tackle the issue of rape he allowed school yard abortion the man was an animal. He was either that or grossly incompetent.

..........He'd give Enda Kenny a run for his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Trent.

His gun makes a funny noise and everybody falls about laughing, what's that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Boards.ie mods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Have you seen the film?

That was a bit of cringy line in the script

And ignoring threats while you have a young family and sensationalising criminals in the Sunday Independent does not make you a saint. Turned them into celebrities.

Paul Williams writes much the same style and gets slated for the standard of his journalism

The thread is for sacred cows. She got plenty of criticism when she was alive and was called a publicity seeker and worse.

Everyone in the Republic of Ireland remembers where they were when they heard that Veronica Guerin had been murdered on the Naas Road.

That's unusual considering most people in Ireland didn't have a clue who she was until she was murdered, unless you were one of those people that bought that sh1t rag of a Sunday world every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Kids with a disability

Or worse, parents of kids with a disability

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Trent.

His gun makes a funny noise and everybody falls about laughing, what's that about?

Don't start on Trent or we'll send FaceKicker after you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sadowitz made that joke about Terry Waite not Mandela...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Trent.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Boards.ie mods

uh oh, nice knowing ya kid

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Sam Kade wrote: »

That's unusual considering most people in Ireland didn't have a clue who she was until she was murdered, unless you were one of those people that bought that sh1t rag of a Sunday world every week.

Ah jaysus this reminds me ... :pac:

It happened during Euro 96' and my 'aul lad went up to the Green isle hotel for pints. He arrived late for the match unaware of the shooting and asks the barman "Did I miss much ? Any good shots on goal ?"

"No .. but there was a few good shots up the road".

The Master wrote: »
    Sadowitz made that joke about Terry Waite not Mandela...

He called Nelson Mandela a 'cunt' and Terry Waite a 'bastard'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

RayM wrote: »
    He called Nelson Mandela a 'cunt' and Terry Waite a 'bastard'.

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Trent.

so you admit you're a rereg
    who were you
    are you Her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Christy Moore

Ordinary singer & songwriter & a most rudimentary guitarist.

Beloved by those up for 'the craic' though, Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé.....

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Ordinary singer & songwriter

Nothing special, nothing grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Chloris wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't say I agree with the disabilities one.

As somebody who works with children and adults who have physical and cognitive difficulties, they all differ hugely in terms of personality and to say "they" as a group, can be horrible people is to make a completely unfair sweeping generalisation...

Then again, that is the point of the thread. However, maybe you should consider a change of career if somebody who has had to endure physical or mental pain and anguish every day of their life, who is in your care, for money, strikes you as a real c*nt. Just a thought.

Yeah I have a disability. I'm in a wheelchair myself from my spine being broken from a car crash that I was a passenger in. I know all about 'physical pain and anguish', more than I'd wish on my worst enemy, so go easy on the passive agreesiveness.

I still stand by (excuse the pun) my statement that a disproportionate amount of people with disabilities are selfish and self centred. They can't help it, they've had people making excuses for them all their lives so they eventually buy into it and come to expect special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Completely agree. I work with people with physical and sensory disabilities and find a disproportionate amount to be pricks.

They have been shielded and spoiled all their lives that they now hold a huge belief of self entitlement.

Jayzis. Why not throw out bitter and chippy while you're there. Your attitude towards the people you 'work with' is beyond shìt.

But you're in good company in AH. Where people with disabilities, a group as heterogeneous as the larger population, are the evergreen pariah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Michelle Smith De Brun.

There was a story about a taxi-driver at the time throwing out a passenger for saying "Well, maybe she's not innocent" and got a load of praise for doing it.

Fuq me, idiocy hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

a disproportionate amount of people with disabilities are selfish and self centred. They can't help it, they've had people making excuses for them all their lives so they eventually buy into it and come to expect special treatment.

Ffs. Catch yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Gráinne Seoige

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought that poor kid Walsh who lost his battle with cancer got away with some pretty idiotic attitudes towards suicide/depression just before he passed away.

He surely did. Was called out for it on here though, if I recall. Nothing gets past us boardsies. :D

Sad case of exploitation really. Sad in many other ways, obviously. He did a lot of great work raising money and that was what should have been focused on. Totally RTE's fault IMO, he was too young to fully understand the effects of depression, nevermind be given the medium to talk about it to thousands of people. Someone involved in production should have stepped up and prevented it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ffs. Catch yourself on.

You most likely missed the bit where she told us that she is a wheelchair user and knows more about the subject than most of us can ever dream of?

Advertisement