Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round...2015??

• 08-01-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Guess its time for a new thread as its the new year.

Played the Ardee open today, placing on fairways only so qualifying yes?

Anyhow, 42 points off 21 (19Front & 23Back) :D

1 Scratch
    2 Doubles
    8 Bogies
    7 Pars

The scratch was a hook and got tangled in some trees, then lazed the tree 30yds behind the green and over shot it :o

So others terrible shots (thin off Par3 tee box) but some really good shots in there aswell

First time ever I might get a cut so fingers crossed,practically skipped out of the place :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »

1 Scratch
    2 Doubles
    8 Bogies
    7 Pars

The scratch was a hook and got tangled in some trees, then lazed the tree 30yds behind the green and over shot it :o

So others terrible shots (thin off Par3 tee box) but some really good shots in there aswell

First time ever I might get a cut so fingers crossed,practically skipped out of the place :pac:

Great shooting Dan, yeah, generally placing on fairways only is qualifying, but I have played in a comp where it was non qualifying (think maybe that was related to the number of bunkers out of play rather than fairway placing though, but not 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Great shooting Dan, yeah, generally placing on fairways only is qualifying, but I have played in a comp where it was non qualifying (think maybe that was related to the number of bunkers out of play rather than fairway placing though, but not 100%)

Thanks,

All bunkers were in play and no temp greens although the greens were quite bad I think they should have used them over winter, pitchmarks everywhere meant putting was 30% luck.

The member I went around with was adamant it was qualifying but didn't want to get my hopes up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great way to start the 2015 thread Dan!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

1 Scratch
    2 Doubles
    8 Bogies
    7 Pars

Well done Dan, you won't be playing off that handicap again. Placing on fairways only is usually qualifying. 2 shot cut I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So, after all the talk of bandits and the illusive 45 pointer dude. We have a 45 pointer in incubation here on boards. Should we tie him up , and bring him out of the boot in a classic.

Lads - how does Dan "maximise" his "opportunity" ?
    :p:D

• Advertisement

mafc wrote: »
    Well done Dan, you won't be playing off that handicap again. Placing on fairways only is usually qualifying. 2 shot cut I'd say.

With luck, it would be great to meet my goal of a HC in the teens in less than a month of the new year plan! :D
    So, after all the talk of bandits and the illusive 45 pointer dude. We have a 45 pointer in incubation here on boards. Should we tie him up , and bring him out of the boot in a classic.

:pac:

I think I have to play in the society now, it'll be the new goal lol

never mind that, get him on the boards Ryder jug team

With luck, it would be great to meet my goal of a HC in the teens in less than a month of the new year plan! :D

:pac:

I think I have to play in the society now, it'll be the new goal lol

As a man who had a very different view of the world from me, once said to me at an open.

"Don't go waisting your man on an open" :D:o:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played a couple of rounds since the New year and they have both been rounds to forget, lol.

Sorry to bring the thread on a downer! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Had 11 pars last Sunday. First round in two months.
    Wasn't bothered about the rest had a few bogeys and the like. We don't play Aberdeen rules so that means we can't place in the rough, placing only on the fairway. Absolute lottery if there's a massive piece of mud on your ball.
    This time of year I long to play links golf hitting of solid turf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Finally a thread without all the BS.

Congrats Dan great shooting. My you go low in 2015.

78 strokes at the weekend. For 41pts, couldn't hole a putt to save my life.
    12 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 double
    Roll on the spring

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Finally a thread without all the BS.

Congrats Dan great shooting. My you go low in 2015.

78 strokes at the weekend. For 41pts, couldn't hole a putt to save my life.
    12 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 double
    Roll on the spring

I can see you going real low this year. After playing in the same group in MJ last year you could clearly see the game was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

28 points in 13 hole comp yesterday and that included one scratch (after getting too near trees) offset by a 35 foot putt for birdie on a par 4.

Not bad after being out with injury for the last month - but not good enough to win anything (at least one 30 pointer in ahead of me).

Great to get out, though - course in pretty good condition with full greens in play, despite all the rain of late.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I can see you going real low this year. After playing in the same group in MJ last year you could clearly see the game was there.

Absolutely looks that way alright Charlie.

When you shoot 41 points and can't make a putt, god help anyone when you actually start making them

golfwallah wrote: »
    28 points in 13 hole comp yesterday and that included one scratch (after getting too near trees) offset by a 35 foot putt for birdie on a par 4.

Not bad after being out with injury for the last month - but not good enough to win anything (at least one 30 pointer in ahead of me).

Great to get out, though - course in pretty good condition with full greens in play, despite all the rain of late.

Golfwallah you can actually play good golf too beside redesign golf as we know it ? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sorry lads, I've dragged the thread off topic. Back to your great scores!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

braver than me golfing at this time of the year, soggy conditions, cold, wind, rain no thanks i might think about getting back out there around March!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

25pts for me in 13 hole competition at Moate last Sunday. My final round of the Winter League, we have 2 players to complete a few rounds and hopefully they will bring in some bigger scores to get us over the qualification line for the Grand Final in March.

Playing Mullingar on Sunday, looking forward to that as I haven't played there since 2010.

Just found out the round yesterday was qualifying, anybody have an idea of what cut I'll get? 42pts off 21.1
    And a bonus I came first for a €40 voucher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Just found out the round yesterday was qualifying, anybody have an idea of what cut I'll get? 42pts off 21.1
    And a bonus I came first for a €40 voucher :D

I hope I'm right with this but if CSS was 36 pts you should get cut down to 19.1

• Advertisement

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    I hope I'm right with this but if CSS was 36 pts you should get cut down to 19.1
    It was 36, remembered to ask that one :D

I was just unsure as I'd be changing from CAT4 to CAT3. Seeing as it was 6 shots better than CSS would I get 6 x .4's or a mix of .4's until CAT3 then .3 reductions :confused:

Oh and grabbed this of howdidido, really wish the home club would implement it

3iN6HCm.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

I think Frosty is right but it all depends on the CSS.

This is an example from GUI handicap system:
    If a player with an Exact Handicap of 21.2 returns a score with Nett Differential of -6 i.e. 6 strokes below his Playing Handicap of 21, his Exact Handicap is reduced as follows:
    21.2 - (2 x 0.4) = 20.4 20.4 - (4 x 0.3) = 19.2

Looks like I got it right.....
    Well done again !

Re: your home club implementing it, they have to ! Report your score to handicap secretary anyways but it should be automatic once he updated Golfnet / Howdidido .
    An ESR will kick in if you break standard scratch by 4 or more again, best of luck

Looks like I got it right.....
    Well done again !

Re: your home club implementing it, they have to ! Report your score to handicap secretary anyways but it should be automatic once he updated Golfnet / Howdidido .
    An ESR will kick in if you break standard scratch by 4 or more again, best of luck

I'll let them know tomorrow and aim to beat css by 4 next time at least :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

25 points for 13 holes, with 3 scratches. Was one over gross for the par 3's off 23. Bearing in mind I struggled to score 23 for 18 for the last few years this is a major breakthrough. 2 of my last 3 rounds in 2014 were 37 and 36. Finally getting to play something approaching reasonable golf after being driven to the edge of giving up. Roll on 2015

Gross 81 today
    9 pars
    8 bogey's
    1 double

New driver in the bag so happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

26 points for 12 holes off a domestic handicap of 26. I'll now get another 2 shot domestic cut. Hopefully can bring that into the qualifying season when it starts up.

2 pars
    5 bogeys
    5 doubles

domestic hc?

domestic hc?

For winter a first or second in the weekend comps gives a 2 shot reduction for the remainder of the winter weekend comps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

82 strokes in high winds for 37pts. 2 over for the front 9. 3 silly doubles on the back 9.

Shocking today. 13 points for 12 holes off 24. Couldn't hit the ball out of my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

27 points for 13 holes today off 14 in windy conditions - great to get out but not good enough for a prize! Pipped on back nine for class prize last Thursday with 28 pts on same 13 holes.

Must try harder!

88 strokes in a casual matchplay.

Happy with it considering the wind and rain. Two club length wind at times and only ever seemed to play into.

Driver was only used a handful of times as it just kept getting caught up in the wind but the hybrid was more than enough with the way I'm hitting it lately

Had 2 birdie putts stop on the lip as well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I played Mullingar today and had 31pts which wasn't bad as it was very windy and quite wet underfoot. Had a bad start - scratched the first two holes but then played to my handicap most of the way around. Only my 2nd time to play the course. Struggled with getting up on the raised greens. Must work on that.

Gross 83 (34pts)
    8 pars
    8 bogey's
    2 doubles

4 bad drives cost me 4 shots & was unlucky not to make 2 good birdie chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

First round of 2015 for me yesterday and it was a 'nearly there' round ....36 points

2 birdies
    4 pars
    10 bogies
    1 double
    1 scratch

Started brilliantly chipping in on the first for a birdie, then played the rest of the front nine really well, only blemish was a silly 4ft putt missed for par on the second. Turned in 39 strokes and 21 points and feeling great. Then on the 12th after a great drive I only had a wedge into the green but completely chunked it, not even reaching the lake in front of the green. Then had a shank with my 3rd, but hit a nice 4th and just about got the bogey to save a point. Then on 13th I had a 25ft birdie putt, pushed it slightly right and left a tricky 4-footer and missed it. Then on 14, I missed another short putt for par, and then again on 15, another short putt missed again for the first double of the day. Then on 16 I hit the worst drive of the day a bad hook and miles out of bounds. Had to par with the second ball, gave it a good go but just missed out and scratched. I was determined to finish well and delighted that I did. Hit best drive of the day on 17, nearly 300-yards! It was a strong wind behind but it was still brilliant for me to hit it that far. Followed it up with a lovely wedge to 20ft and sank the birdie putt. Then hit another good drive and a good rescue on the last into the teeth of the wind, left me a 60 yard wedge into the green. Left the putt just short and tapped in for bogey.

Very encouraging start to 2015. Only for a mini bout of the yips I'd have had my best round in 6 months....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

31 points for 15 holes yesterday. very happy with it considering the conditions out there. That wind was immense and the squally showers didnt help either.

Got off to a great start with 5 straight pars and hit a decent teeshot on the par 3 6th, straight into the wind, but my ball flicked the outside edge of a tree and kicked 40 yards right into the water.... so that was a double bogey, but then I went level par for the next 9 holes with 2 birdies and 2 bogeys.

Game was in great shape though and I only really hit 2 bad shots the whole day, so very happy overall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I couldn't find one for this year lads, if there is one, could a Mod please merge??

Got the clubs out for the first time this year today and, have to say, it went pretty darn well!

O'Meara Course
    handicap 13
    5 Pars
    1 Birdie
    12 Bogeys
    +11
    33 putts (3 three-putts)

Honestly should've been 2/3 better

Good start though!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I couldn't find one for this year lads, if there is one, could a Mod please merge??

Got the clubs out for the first time this year today and, have to say, it went pretty darn well!

O'Meara Course
    handicap 13
    5 Pars
    1 Birdie
    12 Bogeys
    +11
    33 putts (3 three-putts)

Honestly should've been 2/3 better

Good start though!

Good round around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭cjfitz

82 strokes around Mahonys Point yesterday off 13. Pretty happy as 81 was my best round around there last year.

Got 2 really good putts on the 1st and 2nd to rescue par. Rest of the front 9 was ok (turned with 41 strokes), a couple of 3 putts took the gloss off it. Lost my tee shot on the 10th, finished with a double. Also Lamar High Meatloaf the par 4 11th after being in the green side bunker in 2 :( Was +1 for the rest of the round tho.

Really happy with my finish. I normally don't finish that great. Maybe it was the coconut water I drank during my round ;)
    Only hit 14% of fairways though

• Advertisement

My first singles comp of the year - 12 holes.

Got off to a bad start with a double, and another double later - so end of any hopes.

23 points - not bad overall - but to take the positives from it had 3 birdies , had been struggling to get the birds lately. Was cold all day , nice, but never heated up in early morning.

So room for improvement But something to build from, sort of day.

Corballis Links..... First visit.

Gross 71
    41pts (10)
    11 pars
    1 birdie
    6 bogey's
    Putts 28
    FIR 82%
    GIR 39%

Short game was very good, got me out of jail a few times. Really loved the greens & only had one 3 putt on the ninth, nine one putts 😀 Stuffed a couple of iron shots that I got away with and add in 2 duffed chips. Really really enjoyed the course and a revisit is on the cards.
    Pars on 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11,13 & 15.
    Bogey's on 5,9,12,14,16,17 and a juicy little birdie on 18 put a smile on my face.
    Look forward to playing it again & know it could well bite me in the ass.

mafc

Some round for your first trip, class stuff - did you par 3 ?

Single figures - no bother.

mafc

Some round for your first trip, class stuff - did you par 3 ?

Single figures - no bother.

Thanks Fix, scrambled a par on third, pulled tee shot left but had a shot. 4 iron short of bunker, 8 iron from 116yds to 8 feet and made the putt. A lucky par in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Played Corballis today for first time,
    Had the pleasure of playing along side Mafc,
    9 over for round, bad start 4 over for first 3 holes, finally started to play but 3 putted 11 and 13,
    Swing is starting to come together,
    Will visit again with a bit more course management,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chef89

My third round of 2015 today, 16 hole Winter League. hit 2 fairways, 13 GIR's but only 1 birdie putt dropped. Plenty of half duffed chips but that's to be expected.

Handicap: 6

1 Birdie
    11 Pars
    3 Bogies
    1 Scratch (5 to get down from 110yds in the middle of the fairway!!)

33 Points. Happy enough except for my putting, that will come back in time.......... I hope!

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Played Corballis today for first time,
    Had the pleasure of playing along side Mafc,
    9 over for round, bad start 4 over for first 3 holes, finally started to play but 3 putted 11 and 13,
    Swing is starting to come together,
    Will visit again with a bit more course management,

By the way great round too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

33pts off 12.
    Just delighted to get out and play, long game was good, short game was rubbish, it really does suffer with lack of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

30 off 16. Getting worse over the past few weeks. Putting was atrocious 7 3putts. Lag putts are my worst. Impossible to get close to 3 feet from anything outside 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

scrubber72 wrote: »
    30 off 16. Getting worse over the past few weeks. Putting was atrocious 7 3putts. Lag putts are my worst. Impossible to get close to 3 feet from anything outside 10.

I think I joked about this before but if the putter is causing that much hassle I would definitely change. I find putting is very much a confidence thing. A simple repeatable technique with confidence on board will deliver results.

New season with a new putter = fresh start :):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement