Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tarzana wrote: »
    I'm not really seeing what is particularly unhealthy about chicken wings. The portion sizes generally, yes, but other than that they're good stuff. Meat, fat, hot sauce, a cheesy dip and no crappy refined carbs. I see them as a fairly pure foodstuff.

While this thankfully isn't the diet and nutrition forum, I'll briefly answer. The wings themselves have a high level of fat, which is trapped in by the skin. They're then deep fried in more fat. Franks is mixed with butter, which again is fat. Dipped in blue cheese dressing and you've added even more fat. So there's a tiny proportion of meat to a very high proportion of fat. Not healthy in the slightest :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Faith wrote: »
    While this thankfully isn't the diet and nutrition forum, I'll briefly answer. The wings themselves have a high level of fat, which is trapped in by the skin. They're then deep fried in more fat. Franks is mixed with butter, which again is fat. Dipped in blue cheese dressing and you've added even more fat. So there's a tiny proportion of meat to a very high proportion of fat. Not healthy in the slightest :).

Unless you're in ketosis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

These baked wings from the Cooking Club (tHB posted a link last week) http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057261582/1
    They're baked and you get rid of a lot of fat after 30 minutes. They also taste great without the need for the butter hot sauce.
    (I swear I actually lost weight after eating them, unfortunately the celery stalks negated any benefits. ;))

These baked wings from the Cooking Club (tHB posted a link last week) http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057261582/1
    They're baked and you get rid of a lot of fat after 30 minutes. They also taste great without the need for the butter hot sauce.
    (I swear I actually lost weight after eating them, unfortunately the celery stalks negated any benefits. ;))

Oh, there's absolutely ways to get them to be healthier, but I'm just referring to traditional deep-fried wings :).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

trimmed, skin off thigh meat in an oven or actifry, plus Frank's and something lower in far than butter wouldn't be too bad at all, assuming was something low enough fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I don't think you can chastise someone continuing to talk about healthiness when you took part in the healthiness discussion yourself.

I guess this comes down to wear you stand on fat. I don't think it's a problem and don't consider it unhealthy once you take into account daily calories requirements. It's a lot of fat, but fat in and of itself isn't unhealthy. You'd never see someone calling pasta unhealthy on this forum but I know which I'd rather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

can't we all just cover ourselves in franks and butter and have a nice big hug? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

vibe666 wrote: »
    can't we all just cover ourselves in franks and butter and have a nice big hug? :)

Personal issues forum>>>>>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Slipperiest hug ever!

I'll go first...

C075DB45-70EC-41D4-8680-591342D3F82A_zpsxyqtxcb6.jpg

Tarzana wrote: »
    I don't think you can chastise someone continuing to talk about healthiness when you took part in the healthiness discussion yourself.

I guess this comes down to wear you stand on fat. I don't think it's a problem and don't consider it unhealthy once you take into account daily calories requirements. It's a lot of fat, but fat in and of itself isn't unhealthy. You'd never see someone calling pasta unhealthy on this forum but I know which I'd rather.

Where did I chastise you? :confused: I was clarifying that I wasn't going to drag the thread off topic too far by turning it into a big discussion on health.

It does depend where you stand on fat, for sure. The research I've done doesn't support a high fat diet as being healthy, so I wouldn't consider chicken wings as healthy. Doesn't mean they're not delicious and fine in moderation though!

Let's get the discussion back to the food itself, rather than nutrition :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Red hot original and the wings sauce (usually advised against) are both on sale in tesco at the moment.

Not a brilliant price, they go down to €2 a pop in dunnes every so often.

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce Original 354Ml €2.36
    Special OfferSAVE 25%
    valid from 6/8/2014 until 24/8/2014

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce 354Ml Buffalo Wing €2.91
    Special OfferSAVE 25%
    valid from 6/8/2014 until 24/8/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

If anyone has a Musgraves card - 1 x American Gallon (3.78 l) of it is about €23. It only works out a couple of quid cheaper than the €2.36 sale price above but still more than the €2 special from Dunnes.

The catering one is on sale on amazon. it is £16.52 which is about €21, might be a small increase in VAT too, if vat is on these sauces.

Amazon will do free delivery over £25, you can add anything to your basket to get over the limit, e.g. a t-shirt & dvd, as long as its amazon and not a 3rd party seller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franks-RedHot-Original-Cayenne-Pepper/dp/B002L639UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408448994&sr=8-1&keywords=franks+hot+sauce

Big bottle would be way too much for me, and the hassle of pouring it out, and once open you have broken the seal -it would want to be a really good price to tempt me. When dunnes have it I usually buy 5 or so bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I did the baked version last night as we don't have a deep fat fryer in the house, sprinkled them with baking powder and generally followed the Alton Brown recipe suggested way earlier. Super Valu have the Franks Hot Sauce.

As we'd say in Dublin....they were "septic". The real deal. Hotter than the hob of hell on chilli night. So good I couldn't eat the main course of tuna I had prepared for the dinner so that had to go into the freezer. Great recipe and once I tasted the sauce from the bottle I knew they'd be the real deal. Thanks to all for the advice and info.

PS: Now we know why the country got soooo messed up during the Celtic Tiger years. By the looks of this particular thread everyone was talking about wings and trying to figure out this secret recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

garbanzo wrote: »
    As we'd say in Dublin....they were "septic". The real deal. Hotter than the hob of hell on chilli night. So good I couldn't eat the main course of tuna I had prepared for the dinner.

OT, I know, but to me, as a Dub, "septic" has always meant disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Dial Hard wrote: »
    OT, I know, but to me, as a Dub, "septic" has always meant disgusting.

Could be Dublin Ohio! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Necro'ing this thread to see if anyone agrees that the wings in E&C have gone to hell over the last few months - bugger all sauce on them now, and over-cooked, plus the dip has been watered down - not ordering them in there again.

Nicer wings had in Dakota and The Anvil in Saggart to name but two.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

Nothing special about them now. You can do them at home every bit as good with the sauce they use (Franks ) you can get it almost anywhere now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Necro'ing this thread to see if anyone agrees that the wings in E&C have gone to hell over the last few months - bugger all sauce on them now, and over-cooked, plus the dip has been watered down - not ordering them in there again.

Nicer wings had in Dakota and The Anvil in Saggart to name but two.

Slightly off topic but I went to E&C for brunch recently having been out of the country for a few years and the whole thing was dire. Terrible service, very pricey and the food was undercooked - raw sausage meat and cold potato cakes, bleurgh. Didn't have the wings on that occasion but won't be going back a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Slightly off topic but I went to E&C for brunch recently having been out of the country for a few years and the whole thing was dire. Terrible service, very pricey and the food was undercooked - raw sausage meat and cold potato cakes, bleurgh. Didn't have the wings on that occasion but won't be going back a second time.

Only times I've gone there I've been disappointed, usually cos I can't get in and they won't let you share tables. However, when I have gotten in I've found the food underwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

kylith wrote: »
    Only times I've gone there I've been disappointed, usually cos I can't get in and they won't let you share tables. However, when I have gotten in I've found the food underwhelming.

I'm with them on this. Do you really want to share a table with me? I wouldn't :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

arian wrote: »
    I'm with them on this. Do you really want to share a table with me? I wouldn't :eek:

Nor would I, I want to read my paper in peace, not be looking at some stranger during my lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Reviving this thread because it is epic, and what else to serve on Six Nations super Saturday! :D

Thinking of making 2 batches, to compare, one in the oven and the other in the air fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Only made wings for the first time in ages during the week!
    It was thanks to this thread I over dosed on wings..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I was at E&C a couple of weeks ago. The wings were epic. Better than previous visits. Big with loads of meat. So many. Perfectly tossed in the sauce. Blue cheese dip was on point as were the fries. Top marks.

E&C opened in monkstown last month
    https://elephantandcastle.ie/monkstown/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Never heard of the Elephant and Castle until today, just had a quick look at the menu.

I'm shocked that people will gladly pay 15 euro for chicken wings and over a fiver for a portion of chips.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Never heard of the Elephant and Castle until today, just had a quick look at the menu.

I'm shocked that people will gladly pay 15 euro for chicken wings and over a fiver for a portion of chips.

Its a huge portion of wings. People order it as a main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »
    E&C opened in monkstown last month
    https://elephantandcastle.ie/monkstown/

Monkstown seems like a bit of a strange spot for them. I couldn't see many of the locals out there lining up to get their fingers dirty on chicken wings :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Couldn't find it in the thread as most people seem to fry the wings.

If doing the wings in the oven, is there still a benefit to adding the flour before hand?

Do you bake the wings with the sauce or is it better to cook the sauce separate and then cover after baking?

Advertisement