Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we wear clothes?

Options
  • 19-07-2013 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

It's a bit stupid really when you think about it. I was just out for a little stroll there, and there is a gorgeous half moon in the sky, the stars are out, a sliver of mist is coming up the valley from the sea, and everything is eerily quiet. And I thought to myself, I'd sure love to be naked right now.

Why did we start wearing clothes in the first place? And why have no other animals followed suit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

It's a bit stupid really when you think about it. I was just out for a little stroll there, and there is a gorgeous half moon in the sky, the stars are out, a sliver of mist is coming up the valley from the sea, and everything is eerily quiet. And I thought to myself, I'd sure love to be naked right now.

Why did we start wearing clothes in the first place? And why have no other animals followed suit?

In order to stay warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

A few weeks of sun and people question the importance of clothing, you're gone mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

hinault wrote: »
    In order to stay warm?
    But we had hair to keep us warm before that, it was wearing clothes that made us lose it, I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Because nobody wants to see fat people naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I for one would like to thank Eve that we do. Have you ever watched one of those documentaries on primitive tribes that don't? Nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

To look good, I suppose. That and to keep warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

humbert wrote: »
    I for one would like to thank Eve that we do. Have you ever watched one of those documentaries on primitive tribes that don't? Nasty Sexy.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Because nobody wants to see fat people naked.
    Unless they're very rich and up for grabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

humbert wrote: »
    I for one would like to thank Eve that we do. Have you ever watched one of those documentaries on primitive tribes that don't? Nasty.

That's a good point actually. They don't wear clothes, yet they are as bare-arsed as everybody else.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

But we had hair to keep us warm before that, it was wearing clothes that made us lose it, I think?

No we started shedding hair before we wore clothes. We lost hair because it was too hot in Africa where humans first evolved.

Then later on during an ice age people used animal skin to protect themselves. Some say it was before that.

I don't know BM! It was tens and hundreds of thousand years ago.

It's better to see less of some people for our own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'll stick to wearing clothes as all that hair we'd need to remain warm ain't gonna grow back anytime soon:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I feel sexier in clothes. That can't be right :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

After running through a field full of rushes while wearing shorts two weeks ago. My knees and shins still bear the battle scars. That's why we wear clothes. To protect our epicdermis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

mud wrote: »
    After running through a field full of rushes while wearing shorts two weeks ago. My knees and shins still bear the battle scars. That's why we wear clothes. To protect our epicdermis :)

Id say your dermis is epic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

And why have no other animals followed suit?
    Because we made the suits out of them.
    Oddly they think that is the height of bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So we can sit on leather couches without making embarrassing noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

wil wrote: »
    Because we made the suits out of them.
    Oddly they think that is the height of bad taste.

....and the whole opposable thumbs thing. Buttons would be a nightmare for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,092 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why do we wear clothes? Because society tells us to, end of.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

If God wanted us to run around naked he wouldn't have us born wearing clothes. End of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Start the fight against clothes OP. Wear nothing from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

Serious Reply:
    As we started to live in larger, closer nit groupings, hair born parisites such as lice, flees and ticks became pandemic, so i was an evelutionry advantage to have less fur/hair, to be less prone to the ailment that these parisites caried. This was not such a disadvantage in terms of heat retention on the african sevanah but as we moved into cooler climes it required us to wrap in animal hide to keep warm, creating the birth of the fashion industry.
    After Hours Reply:
    Because you touch yourself at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

We really need to wear cloths now because of Mcdonalds.Have you ever seen some of the fatties that come from there? would you want to see then neked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

krochford wrote: »
    Serious Reply:
    As we started to live in larger, closer nit groupings, hair born parisites such as lice, flees and ticks became pandemic, so i was an evelutionry advantage to have less fur/hair, to be less prone to the ailment that these parisites caried. This was not such a disadvantage in terms of heat retention on the african sevanah but as we moved into cooler climes it required us to wrap in animal hide to keep warm, creating the birth of the fashion industry.

All of that and more I imagine.

There was also likely social pressure rather than just the cold evolutionary facts you lay out nicely above.

For example after hunting kills the hunters would likely have started adorning themselves with trophies of the kills to distinguish themselves. Body parts, bones, skins and so forth. As such clothing would have been seen as a social status indicator too.

This would have pushed others to try and emulate... to get such things too... pushing the "higher" individuals to get new and better examples of it.... all working towards what we think of as clothing today where.... lets face it.... essentially the same process is still in full flow with the ever more ludicrous fashion industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I've read that humans began to lose body hair when they started swimming.

I'm not sure that argument holds much water though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Because of stone-age fashion police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Because the sight of something like me naked could cause fear,anxiety,distress, and downright panic amongst people!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

gramar wrote: »
    I've read that humans began to lose body hair when they started swimming.

I'm not sure that argument holds much water though.

That's the aquatic ape theory, which is complete nonsense and has been comprehensibly debunked. Hair loss is more than likely a result of pedagogic neoteny, i.e. adults retaining childlike features into adulthood

Because we moved.

Humans survived in Africa's high temperatures without clothes until about 180,000 years ago when the human spirit of adventure led us to seek other places to gather and hunt. It was probably prompted by climate change and drought, leaving the pickings slim in our usual feeding grounds.

The move outside the constant temperatures led to a need to provide portable warmth for ourselves and animal skins were deployed to do the job. If it wasn't for clothing, we simply couldn't have migrated north to cooler climes, and humans would be just another species indigenous to Africa.

Of course as soon as clothing was 'invented' it started to evolve. Different tribes used different skins, then different processes to work the skins, then different materials to make clothing, and today we have different patterns and designs that designate different areas of the world and nationalities in the form of national costumes. We were keen to stand out from the crowd from the get go, apparently. We always liked to express our allegiances and individuality through design, art and clothing, it seems.

So not only is it advisable to wear clothes in Ireland for the usual weather reasons, but clothes are the biggest reason that Ireland is populated to begin with. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

To hide my tiny ickle peeny.

It's like a sleeping cheesy wotsit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Because we started wearing clothes by wearing them.

Advertisement