Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I received a promotional e-mail today, from Garmin themselves, for the Vector 2 pedals. Out of curiosity I clicked on the “Find Dealers” link in the mail and it doesn’t work. Cue the Vector 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

dancrowley wrote: »
    Almost here...

9ko0l751t

Installed it yesterday. I won't be out on the bike til Wednesday so will report back after that.

pm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

What's the best power meter for around 700euro lads? I have started to get more serious about my training and have been using HR to base a lot of my effort in training but I know this is limited. Have done a couple of TTs and looking to start racing after I get La Marmotte out of the road. I am just about to change my groupset over from Shimano to Campag so I want a pm that I can change to a different bike. Am I right in saying that some PMs can only be used on certain bikes or cranks etc?

Anyway, what are my options? Or am i safer waiting until the winter or start of next year? Price will hopefully have went down by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

I saw somewhere in the last few days that Stages are going dual sided - anyone further info on it ? I can't find the article.. not sure if it's parental tiredness or just wild conjecture now on my behalf..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Junior wrote: »
    I saw somewhere in the last few days that Stages are going dual sided - anyone further info on it ? I can't find the article.. not sure if it's parental tiredness or just wild conjecture now on my behalf..

Not that I heard and I've been up all night with a 5 month old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

godtabh wrote: »
    Not that I heard and I've been up all night with a 5 month old

Try twins .. and luckily Twitter pulled thru for me ..

https://twitter.com/cobbalobb_/status/599669549198385152

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    What's the best power meter for around 700euro lads? I have started to get more serious about my training and have been using HR to base a lot of my effort in training but I know this is limited. Have done a couple of TTs and looking to start racing after I get La Marmotte out of the road. I am just about to change my groupset over from Shimano to Campag so I want a pm that I can change to a different bike. Am I right in saying that some PMs can only be used on certain bikes or cranks etc?

Anyway, what are my options? Or am i safer waiting until the winter or start of next year? Price will hopefully have went down by that stage.

Spoken to a couple of guys who bought stages and wouldn't buy them again.

You could do worse than start by researching:

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/produkt-kategorie/power-meters-en/power-meters-road/

Take out your existing crankset and familiarize yourself with it and your bottom bracket, it will then be easier to figure out options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have a stages and whilest I have had an issue with it its only been a minor bump and stages had it sorted in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You could do a lot worse than read DC Rainmakers detailed report on Power Meters and in depth testing.

If you want interchangeability, wheel or pedal based is easiest. Former assumes you are running same drivetrain on all bikes that you use. Although, I read an article that said 11sp indexing works on opposites ( shimano /Campag or Campag/ shimano). Cheapest I have seem is sl+ @ 599 for rear wheel on dt Swiss rim, or €699 for vision.

Pedals are single side Garmin vector from about €650 or both sides about 1150. Some have reported issues with fitting /damage to pods. You also have polar pedals. Other options are power2max chainset (SRAM Rival) at €699 ( not compatible with Campag bb)

There are loads of others just those are within your €700 budget.

Some new models due out soon or just out.
    4iiii Precision ( like stages, but cheaper) $399 plus taxes here
    Powertap pedal (out June I believe), unlike vector, no pods. (Prob over budget as no single pedal option)
    Powertap chainset (50/34 only)

Installed it yesterday. I won't be out on the bike til Wednesday so will report back after that.

pm.jpg

First spin last night with some power numbers flashing up in front of me... I can only assume that it's working properly :pac:
    It paired immediately with my Garmin (Edge 510).

• Advertisement

First spin last night with some power numbers flashing up in front of me... I can only assume that it's working properly :pac:
    It paired immediately with my Garmin (Edge 510).

What is that one and what does it cost if you don't mind me asking?

What is that one and what does it cost if you don't mind me asking?

It's the power2max Type S for Campagnolo.

All the details are contained here.

Following installation, it "just worked". Time will tell, but i've heard only great things concerning power2max's reliability.

It's the power2max Type S for Campagnolo.

All the details are contained here.

Following installation, it "just worked". Time will tell, but i've heard only great things concerning power2max's reliability.

Haha I think that is about 3 times my budget!! One day!! Good luck with it.

^^^^see my post? A power2max for €699?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    ^^^^see my post? A power2max for €699?

Yes same quality and reliability at this price. You do have to set your on either compact or standard and you do gain some extra weight. But save a lot of eeees

@Jim Stynes, how is the PM search going? No thoughts on my recommendations?

@Jim Stynes

Anything at all? Thought I gave you a good heads up on the choices but you have not commented either way since then.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    @Jim Stynes

Anything at all? Thought I gave you a good heads up on the choices but you have not commented either way since then.

Maybe he hasnt read this thread in awhile? Or doesnt like been badgered

Indeed...but how are we to know? By the way, I did not sad face there (accidental if I did)
    It has no relevance to my post. If I did not, put. It there what does it mean?
    It is normal that somebody would reply in some shape or form. My experience anyway.

I did read your post and went and read dc rainmakers reviews of each of them. Should have acknowledged that I read your post so sorry for that! Anyway, to be honest there are none really standing out at the minute without having to spend big enough money. The ones that I like best just by looking at are the garmin vectors but they don't get a good review. The power2max is another that I have looked closely at but I would like to actually see one in action to get some idea of weight, size etc. I think at this stage I am going to work on getting my groupset sorted and then try get a power meter for the turbo over the winter. Still feels like we are operating at the early stages of the PM generation. Ten years time the market will probably be full of options and at a more affordable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

@Jim, having taken the plunge myself last year I can say that it is the single best upgrade you can get. Forget about blingy wheels, upgrading your groupset, new frame etc.

Once what you have now is working fine, and based on your posts I reckon they are, then a PM, with the right effort on your part to understand it and adapt your training to maximise the benefits, will see the biggest gains.

HR is fine, nothing wrong with it and I used it for years. It only takes you so far though. PM lets you know exactly how hard you worked, for how long, what areas you are stronger/weaker. For example there are some days that you think you are flying, turns out the wind was with you or you had been helped by sitting in the group for the previous 50k. Suddenly the PB takes on a different perspective.

It can be quite bewildering trying to decide on which one, they all have good and bad points. But pick the one that most closely matches what you want to do. For me, I choose the Stages because (at the time) it was one of the cheapest, I have Shimano on both my bikes so changeover was important and easy, it got good reviews, it was lightweight (and since I prefer climbing type courses I didn't see the need to add extra weight), it linked up with my Garmin. Of course it is only left sided, and we have had the back and forth on that many times, but I decided that for me the relative number was important rather than finding the extra funds needed to go for a two sided option.

I don't for a second thing it was the best, but I don't regret getting it and do think that it has made a difference to my training. Whether that has just meant that I have been able to slow the rate of decline down is of course a moot point!!!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    @Jim, having taken the plunge myself last year I can say that it is the single best upgrade you can get. Forget about blingy wheels, upgrading your groupset, new frame etc.

Once what you have now is working fine, and based on your posts I reckon they are, then a PM, with the right effort on your part to understand it and adapt your training to maximise the benefits, will see the biggest gains.

HR is fine, nothing wrong with it and I used it for years. It only takes you so far though. PM lets you know exactly how hard you worked, for how long, what areas you are stronger/weaker. For example there are some days that you think you are flying, turns out the wind was with you or you had been helped by sitting in the group for the previous 50k. Suddenly the PB takes on a different perspective.

It can be quite bewildering trying to decide on which one, they all have good and bad points. But pick the one that most closely matches what you want to do. For me, I choose the Stages because (at the time) it was one of the cheapest, I have Shimano on both my bikes so changeover was important and easy, it got good reviews, it was lightweight (and since I prefer climbing type courses I didn't see the need to add extra weight), it linked up with my Garmin. Of course it is only left sided, and we have had the back and forth on that many times, but I decided that for me the relative number was important rather than finding the extra funds needed to go for a two sided option.

I don't for a second thing it was the best, but I don't regret getting it and do think that it has made a difference to my training. Whether that has just meant that I have been able to slow the rate of decline down is of course a moot point!!!

Great stuff! Getting a PM would def mean I have made the jump to being a serious cyclist. I am still deciding what I want out of the sport at the minute. I am training hard for sportives and different long distance things. I would love to start racing at some stage soon as well and I have also the Haute Route in the back of my head as well! Then the other side of me is calling me back to Gaelic and keeping cycling as my second sport. I have a bit of thinking to do. Reading your post does make me want to go just take the plunge and get stuck straight into training with a PM.

Great stuff! Getting a PM would def mean I have made the jump to being a serious cyclist. I am still deciding what I want out of the sport at the minute. I am training hard for sportives and different long distance things. I would love to start racing at some stage soon as well and I have also the Haute Route in the back of my head as well! Then the other side of me is calling me back to Gaelic and keeping cycling as my second sport. I have a bit of thinking to do. Reading your post does make me want to go just take the plunge and get stuck straight into training with a PM.

Not really. Unless its used right its just another expensive toy.

I've been using mine mainly to track fitness and following plans on trainerroad

I've been using mine mainly to track fitness and following plans on trainerroad

Yeah, I know what you mean. It could easily just be left as another gadget on your bike without understand how to get the best out of them.

I wouldnt be using it for messing about though. I would be making sure I am using it right. A fella from oz that I know (Elite rider! Top 20 in Australian TT against Porte etc) has advised me on different books to read up on PMs and how they are best used. He has also given me training programmes etc but to make full use of his training programmes I would need a PM. I have been reading bits and pieces on them in the mean time so I am still trying to get my head around the best ways that they can be used. Trainerroad seems like a good tool to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Trainerroad seems like a good tool to use.

For me TrainerRoad has been the single best investment I've made, training-wise. I had some degree of focus to my turbo sessions already but TrainerRoad gave me vey specific target numbers to chase and the way I'm wired means that works well for me, I find I commit more to the session as a result.

Even on what seems like the rare occasion that the weather is good outside, I'm still tempted to do an evening turbo session rather than an evening outdoor ride, simply because I reckon I get more value from the former. Does make me worry about my mental state, that.

I have a PowerTap but the nature of the roads I tend to ride on means that I find it hard to ride at specific power levels for any length of time. A slight dip or rise in the road is often enough to throw my output off, that randomness doesn't arise on a turbo. Maybe I just need to knuckle down more when out on the road of course, but for now I always feel like I've worked harder when I climb off the turbo than when I've come back from an outdoor ride.

Basically, if I got rid of my PowerTap tomorrow my training wouldn't suffer much at all, but if I stopped using TrainerRoad it really would suffer. That's just me though, I'm odd.

While that is true anybody I know who has purchased a power meter has gotten to understand it and generally trains in a structured fashion with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Awaiting my Polar KEO power set up to come back this week with the upgrade to BT.

I have a pair of pods so getting true L/R balance and cadence. Looking forward with interest to see the setup in terms of NP and AP which were not clear with the older set unless uploaded to WKO+

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

doozerie wrote: »
    For me TrainerRoad has been the single best investment I've made, training-wise. I had some degree of focus to my turbo sessions already but TrainerRoad gave me vey specific target numbers to chase and the way I'm wired means that works well for me, I find I commit more to the session as a result.

Even on what seems like the rare occasion that the weather is good outside, I'm still tempted to do an evening turbo session rather than an evening outdoor ride, simply because I reckon I get more value from the former. Does make me worry about my mental state, that.

I have a PowerTap but the nature of the roads I tend to ride on means that I find it hard to ride at specific power levels for any length of time. A slight dip or rise in the road is often enough to throw my output off, that randomness doesn't arise on a turbo. Maybe I just need to knuckle down more when out on the road of course, but for now I always feel like I've worked harder when I climb off the turbo than when I've come back from an outdoor ride.

Basically, if I got rid of my PowerTap tomorrow my training wouldn't suffer much at all, but if I stopped using TrainerRoad it really would suffer. That's just me though, I'm odd.
    Have to agree trainer road is an excellent tool great value for money and really gives you focus and a great introduction to power training

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

@doozerie, do you not need a PM to get the best use from Trainerroad (I don't use it but did look at it and thought you needed a PM for it to 'work')

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    @doozerie, do you not need a PM to get the best use from Trainerroad (I don't use it but did look at it and thought you needed a PM for it to 'work')

You can use a PM or HRM or both. PM gives better results

Advertisement