Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I still cant work out why they dont have their own version of liveline.. it wouldnt take a whole lot to compete with Joe Duffy's version these days..

Orla Barry did a call in thing between 9 and 11(?) when it was first launched nationally didnt she?? :confused:

In any case, it was awful. I have often thought that Newstalk are missing a trick here. If the Irish people love one thing, its a good whinge on the radio.

Imagine Newstalk offered a Liveline-type show with a presenter that doesn't set the agenda...:eek:

No more Sonny, no more Ballyfermot, no more headshops, no more evasion tactics regarding FF...it would be great wouldnt it...*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Four words that will strike fear into the stoutest of hearts:

"Join me, Orla Barry...."

Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

They tired it with Brenda Power, it didn't work. I can't stand Liveline-type programmes, so I hope Newstalk doesn't try to go down that route again.

Rubik. wrote: »
    They tired it with Brenda Power, it didn't work. I can't stand Liveline-type programmes, so I hope Newstalk doesn't try to go down that route again.

Was it Orla Barry or Brenda Power...I thought Orla Barry? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah it was Barry Power.

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »

Em...maybe both at different times, I fairly certain about Power though but I didn't listen to Orla Barry back in the early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Em...maybe both at different times, I fairly certain about Power though but I didn't listen to Orla Barry back in the early days.

They each had a show on weekday mornings. One was from 9-10 and one from 10-12 (or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Anybody any idea what the right hooks announcement was going to be today? George said they were postponing it because of the crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Win a trip to Derry on a small turbo prop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Both were awful. Declan Carthy would have been the man for the job, but they got rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Koloman wrote: »
    Both were awful. Declan Carthy would have been the man for the job, but they got rid of him.

The fella who used to present Late Night Live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The fella who used to present Late Night Live?

he was dreadful and they rightly got rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Koloman wrote: »

so awfull they replaced them with tom dunne :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

That reminds me of the joke about this bloke who pulled a nurse in Coppers one night.
    They were in the taxi on the way home together and it pulled up outside a Halting site, the chap was shocked and said to her "I thought you said you were a nurse" she replied "No, I told you I was a ward sister" :D

I find it more and more difficult to listen to MEW in the morning...I enjoy the "On The Ball" repeat, but then as I wait for the 6:30am news, I have to have zero volume while she comes on with her silly, contrived tag line about "telling it like it is" etc. Then when the news is over, that's it, radio switched off/channel changed, before she comes back on.

CUCINA wrote: »
    I find it more and more difficult to listen to MEW in the morning...I enjoy the "On The Ball" repeat, but then as I wait for the 6:30am news, I have to have zero volume while she comes on with her silly, contrived tag line about "telling it like it is" etc. Then when the news is over, that's it, radio switched off/channel changed, before she comes back on.

Off The Ball. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Off The Ball. ;)

Yeah, sorry, you're right... I blame that feckin' Budweiser!! Remind me not to post when I have a couple of cans on board(s) !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not a regular tom dunne listener but newstalk hit a new low this morning on his show with those 2 clowns from xfactor on.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

John and Edward are favourites to represent Ireland in the Eurovision song contest so lets all get behind the two lads from Dublin,come on Ireland

sgb wrote: »
    John and Edward are favourites to represent Ireland in the Eurovision song contest so lets all get behind the two lads from Dublin,come on Ireland

I presume youre being facitious...:confused:

If not, I'd rather get behind serious, talented artists and not two lads taking the p*ss tbh...

runman wrote: »
    Anybody any idea what the right hooks announcement was going to be today? George said they were postponing it because of the crash.

No politicians on the show until after the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

No politicians on the show until after the election.

Big deal, at least it will be a Mary O'Rouke free zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

No politicians on the show, because he wants people to vote without being swayed by the spin... Then proceeds to have John Waters on telling us what a brilliant guy Enda Kenny is but that we just dont see it on the telly..

Big anti climax..

If not, I'd rather get behind serious, talented artists and not two lads taking the p*ss tbh...

Since when has the Eurovision in the last 15 years been about serious, talented artists? We may as well send them to take the p*ss since we will never win the thing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

David McWilliams is presenting a show from 12-1.30pm tomorrow and next week.

Think it's just for the election. He was the breakfast show presenter years ago but I think he was fired.

SkidMark wrote: »
    David McWilliams is presenting a show from 12-1.30pm tomorrow and next week.

Think it's just for the election. He was the breakfast show presenter years ago but I think he was fired.

Fired to make way for Eamon Dunphy if I recall right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has Sile Seoige been fired to make way for McWilliams ?

Lapin wrote: »

She's on from 8am to 10am Saturday mornings. A downgrade I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Lapin wrote: »

No, unfortunately she is not fired yet, she is starting earlier (8-10) to accommodate McWilliams

Odd scheduling, wonder if she is being moved towards the door?

SkidMark wrote: »

No, unfortunately she is not fired yetQUOTE]

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I missed McWilliams yesterday. Did anybody hear the show and was it any good. I used to like him when he did the breakfast show years ago and he's one of a few who I actually listened to these days about the economy.

I missed McWilliams yesterday. Did anybody hear the show and was it any good. I used to like him when he did the breakfast show years ago and he's one of a few who I actually listened to these days about the economy.

It was quite good, I never heard his old Breakfast Show on Newstalk and he is a much better presenter than I thought he would be. Anyway, it was a hell of an improvement on Shenanigans or Hook's pre-recorded effort. Newstalk's output on Saturday mornings is really poor.

It was quite good, I never heard his old Breakfast Show on Newstalk and he is a much better presenter than I thought he would be. Anyway, it was a hell of an improvement on Shenanigans or Hook's pre-recorded effort. Newstalk's output on Saturday mornings is really poor.

Always thought Dunphy should do 'a Finucane' and do the Saturday as well. But how would he manage to get away with having Shane Ross on both days without anyone noticing...?? :confused:

It's hard enough to get him to turn up on Sundays, never mind adding Saturdays as well.

It's hard enough to get him to turn up on Sundays, never mind adding Saturdays as well.

True true. We all remember the Cameroon fiasco of 2002... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

His show was actually decent enough. He got shafted badly by Newstalk at the time to make way for Dunphy. At the time Dunphy was still riding high from the success of The Last Word on Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Im sure i heard Chris say this morning we're going to get the facts about gay marriage and gay abortion!

Had to laugh at Ivan this morning when talking about Micheal Martin's attempt at speaking chinese.

Ivan was not in the least impressed with MM's accent and said "if youre gonna slag off the chinese, make sure you do it properly..." :D

I must admit I'm enjoying Yates's refreshing twist on the world If anything, its a big two-fingers to the Political Correctness crowd...

You'd know he was a politician 'back in the day'. He's old school in a still youngish man's body.

Never get away with it on RTE where they have also old men in youngish men's bodies, but unitentionally...yea, Willy Wonka himself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I must admit I'm enjoying Yates's refreshing twist on the world If anything, its a big two-fingers to the Political Correctness crowd...

That's the very reason that I don't listen to the show regularly anymore. He plays up this politically incorrect persona too much.....I find it all very contrived and it just gets tiresome after a while.

Cole wrote: »
    That's the very reason that I don't listen to the show regularly anymore. He plays up this politically incorrect persona too much.....I find it all very contrived and it just gets tiresome after a while.

You'd agree with my better half then. :)

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I suppose...

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I suppose...
    Yeah....sure if we all agreed with each other on everything, it would be very dull around here:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Cole wrote: »
    Yeah....sure if we all agreed with each other on everything, it would be very dull around here:)

I agree..............or do i;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Neither of the Studio Live Studio Streams on the NT are working here. Anyone been able to access it recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Kiberd's getting good milage out of that 'State run spin' jibe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Neither of the Studio Live Studio Streams on the NT are working here. Anyone been able to access it recently?

To answer my own question you just click the TV link at the top of the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh here for those interested if ya want to hear davey macs GE11 show again on newstalk you have to go to sile's show in the archive

Can anyone suggest a credible explanation for "businesswoman and broadcaster" Angela Douglas being allowed near a radio microphone?

who?

...."businesswoman and broadcaster" Angela Douglas...
    ...and "panel guest for hire." I don't know why Carol Hunt is let near a microphone either.

I caught a little bit of that 'D4 dinner party type' discussion this morning, but could not last more than a few minutes.

She's gone from being a regular "rent-a-mouth" on The Sunday Supplement to the Newstalk Breakfast show panel.

An empty can rattling loudest as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thank god macwilliams is back on today.

marion was doing my head in.

i know this is only for the elections but sweet jesus saturday is shyte now , theres a clear need for this type of program to be maintained.

i hope someones watching the listenership figures on this and it merrits it continuing under a new name.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement