Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lennymc wrote: »
    just curious - of the current racers, how many started on an MTB and moved on to a CX bike? I know of at least one, and conversely, I know I started CX racing so I'd have an excuse to buy another bike

FYP

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know I bought a CX bike specifically to start CX racing.
    Thought you had bought a track bike specifically to start track racing, but I've seen no evidence of either yet ....:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought you had bought a track bike specifically to start track racing, but I've seen no evidence of either yet ....:pac:

Infraction given

The only time the T word is allowed in here is when talking about the Orangefield cross race or the sundrive track team organised Muddy cup....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

If you guys don't mind travelling, my club is going to run CX in Mallow Co. Cork on 1st November.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/504661599693443/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RobFowl wrote: »
    Infraction given

The only time the T word is allowed in here is when talking about the Orangefield cross race or the sundrive track team organised Muddy cup....

I've heard 'cross is good for track :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »
    I've heard 'cross is good for track :P

1 day ban
    Any more of this and I'll make it a month
    :cool:

gadetra wrote: »
    I've heard 'cross is good :P

Post fixed ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

inc21 wrote: »
    If you guys don't mind travelling, my club is going to run CX in Mallow Co. Cork on 1st November.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/504661599693443/

Great to see the South getting in on the CX act.. Was a bit of a drive to say the least for you guys getting up to Dublin... Or Norn Iron...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

you mean you don't remember me beating you at sundrive?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I remember that lead out I gave you..... (was that on your new bike?)

• Advertisement

I remember that lead out I gave you..... (was that on your new bike?)

I dont remember you giving me a lead out, but I do remember you getting in my way a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

just curious - of the current racers, how many started on an MTB and moved on to a CX bike? I know of at least one, and conversely, I know I bought a CX bike specifically to start CX racing.

I bought a CX bike to start racing. I already had an MTB. In my first race Seymour lapped me just before he finished so I was second to finish in my first race. Well pleased with that one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Don't exclude MTBs. Even if its just incremental, you're adding to the pool of racers.

Add more categories! With your numbers, senior A and B only is not enough. I know, I know, too hard to get volunteers.... So try harder on that front. Maybe pull some of the sandwich volunteers :)

Have a look at this. Typical turnout is 200-300 (but sometimes more). There are 6 separate events. You typically have 3 in Ireland, right? I think 4 or 5 would make for an improvement:

Order of Races
    Category Start Time Duration Entry Prizes/Places
    Women 4, Men 5 Junior 15-18/10-14 10:00 AM 30 min. $25/$10
    Elite Masters 40+/50+ (1,2,3) 10:45 AM 45 min. $25
    Kids race (short laps) 11:45 AM short laps FREE
    Elite Women (1,2,3), Men 4 12:15 AM 45 min. $30/$25
    Men Pro, CX1/2 , Men CX3 1:15 PM 60 min. $30/$25
    Single Speed, Masters 35+ (CX 4/5) 2:30 PM 30 min. $25

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Don't exclude MTBs. Even if its just incremental, you're adding to the pool of racers.

Add more categories! With your numbers, senior A and B only is not enough. I know, I know, too hard to get volunteers.... So try harder on that front. Maybe pull some of the sandwich volunteers :)

Have a look at this. Typical turnout is 200-300 (but sometimes more). There are 6 separate events. You typically have 3 in Ireland, right? I think 4 or 5 would make for an improvement:

Order of Races
    Category Start Time Duration Entry Prizes/Places
    Women 4, Men 5 Junior 15-18/10-14 10:00 AM 30 min. $25/$10
    Elite Masters 40+/50+ (1,2,3) 10:45 AM 45 min. $25
    Kids race (short laps) 11:45 AM short laps FREE
    Elite Women (1,2,3), Men 4 12:15 AM 45 min. $30/$25
    Men Pro, CX1/2 , Men CX3 1:15 PM 60 min. $30/$25
    Single Speed, Masters 35+ (CX 4/5) 2:30 PM 30 min. $25

I'd be wary of going down the US route of tons of categories. Cyclocross is supposed to be a mass start race, with all that entails tactically and technically, making for close racing right the way through the field. 6 separate races for 200 people could turn some people's race into a one hour time trial.

I'd be wary of going down the US route of tons of categories. Cyclocross is supposed to be a mass start race, with all that entails tactically and technically, making for close racing right the way through the field. 6 separate races for 200 people could turn some people's race into a one hour time trial.

FYI - there's no 'US route'. Attendance in New Hampshire would be way different from attendance in Florida for instance. The promoter's goal is to structure the race day appropriately for the attendance. The sweet spot (IMO) for an 8min lap is ~40-50 riders for the bigger categories. Ideally, a season-long race series would keep the same schedule for each event.

Nahhhh.... Too much complication there.. B race, start off in, stay in for a few years.. most use it as a stop gap between racing seasons... Go have a shot at the A race and try stay ahead of the race leaders..

All these extra categories puts too much pressure on both Venue's and race organisers... this is wee Ireland not big USA!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    All these extra categories puts too much pressure on both Venue's and race organisers... this is wee Ireland not big USA!

Wee Ireland? Look at your attendance!

Anyway, I'll stop now. Need to go make a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

His memory is not what it used to be. He had a crash you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Highlights from Soudal Classics Round 1 - GP Neerpelt

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    His memory is not what it used to be. He had a crash you know?
    Did I:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Did I:confused:

Nope. Imagine the tales that you could tell if you had though!

dave2pvd wrote: »

if you are preventing people with cx bikes from racing their cx bikes in a cx race by allowing MTBs in, I would be all in favour of not allowing MTBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

if you are preventing people with cx bikes from racing their cx bikes in a cx race by allowing MTBs in, I would be all in favour of not allowing MTBs.

Agreed, and if we started asking the mountain bike race organisers to put on a CX support race, it wouldn't be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe the MTBers could all be put in a sort of holding pen (call it a "ghetto" for extra street cred) until all the CXers have signed on, and be given armbands to help identify them in case they wander out. The armbands could have stars on to make them feel special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Maybe the MTBers could all be put in a sort of holding pen (call it a "ghetto" for extra street cred) until all the CXers have signed on, and be given armbands to help identify them in case they wander out. The armbands could have stars on to make them feel special.

Your irony has just crossed a thin line.

What the guys up in Ulster CX did was to start MTB riders at the back of the grid behind those on CX bikes...

Besides, the B race you can enter on either MTB or CX bike, doesn't matter! Anyone who has an issue with that is welcome to go to the A race...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    What the guys up in Ulster CX did was to start MTB riders at the back of the grid behind those on CX bikes....

Ulster league has a separate support race for mountain bikes. The female mountain bikers race has been moved to the women's CX race this year and they start at the back of the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Anyone who has an issue with that

I assume you are representing organizers of every single CX race around?

I wish this rule was changed, and we can discuss it here, or can we not?

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    I assume you are representing organizers of every single CX race around?

I wish this rule was changed, and we can discuss it here, or can we not?

I don't see any reason why we couldn't discuss both the reasons for and the reasons against in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement