Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This is the favourite to be picked for Sweden. I really like it, I think it could be top 5 in Copenhagen.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Poland make their return to the competition with this. It's in Polish, but they may sing some of it in English for the Eurovision.

The Polish song was released back in November and has nearly 39 million views! :eek: With that kind of momentum behind it already, it could be one to watch. It is undeniably catchy, even though it's not my type of music.

Plus the video just screams elegance and class! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Heartbeat now has a video. Clearly it cost a lot of money.

I know the two lads who made it. They'll be absolutely delighted that you thought that. Shot over 4 hours, edited over a weekend and cost a bit over €200 to make.

The Polish song was released back in November and has nearly 39 million views! :eek: With that kind of momentum behind it already, it could be one to watch. It is undeniably catchy, even though it's not my type of music.

Plus the video just screams elegance and class! :pac:

I think it'll struggle to get out of the semi's if the juries decide to bury it a lá Montenegro last year. What will really work in it's favour though is the fact that there's only 15 in that semi-final, so if they get a good televote score and can manage an average of say, 12th with the juries then they'll probably sneak through.

• Advertisement

I think it'll struggle to get out of the semi's if the juries decide to bury it a lá Montenegro last year. What will really work in it's favour though is the fact that there's only 15 in that semi-final, so if they get a good televote score and can manage an average of say, 12th with the juries then they'll probably sneak through.

I dunno, the juries can be fairly unpredictable. There were a few songs last year (Croatia, San Marino, Spain) that I had thought would be "jury bait" but didn't get very high scores from the juries in the end. Also the Polish song has a bit more of an ethnic appeal that the Montenegrin one didn't have. Plus I reckon it was ultimately the astronaut suits that killed off Montenegro's chances with the juries! :pac: (Still think they should have reached the final though).

We'll find out the UK entrant on Monday, after 7pm.

Well at least we picked the right song! Kasey is going to Eurovision. Big revamp needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Yea best song won here alright, all the ingredients to do well but just need to put it together!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think Ireland will do very well with Heartbeat ,best song we have entered in years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Ireland's voters would go with Eoghan but I'm glad to be wrong and to see Heartbeat win.

It's a good song but I'm not sure about the dancers...

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought Ireland's voters would go with Eoghan but I'm glad to be wrong and to see Heartbeat win.

It's a good song but I'm not sure about the dancers...

Good lord the dancers have to go ,brutal,reminded me of Rosenstock doing Michael Flatley.

The most important thing to remember is that a performance on the Late Late is rock bottom, this is going to look/sound a million times better in Copenhagen. Just hope they heed what everyone is saying about the dancers!

Has anyone seen this about the UK entry? Sounds like they're taking it very seriously this year! Really intrigued to find out who it is
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/BBC-Eurovision-2014-Our-vision-for-Copenhagen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

The most important thing to remember is that a performance on the Late Late is rock bottom, this is going to look/sound a million times better in Copenhagen. Just hope they heed what everyone is saying about the dancers!
    dancers gotta go. They really distract in a bad way and add nothing.

What might work is if the violinist could be brought in to the shot, maybe going a bit Vanessa Mae (not on skis) with a bit of interaction between the 2.
    However she looks a bit quiet.
    Maybe even a few violinists.
    Singer needs to give it a little more welly in the chorus if she is vocally able.

But lose the dancers.
    And lastly, lose the dancers.

So if we see the dancers again, :(

Estonia

On first impressions I quite like it, but naturally it will draw comparisons with Loreen

Romania

Paula Seling & Ovi return for Romania after coming 3rd in 2010 with Playing With Fire, which was far superior.

Lithuania

*shrug*

France

Not really taking it seriously this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

I think Ireland will do very well with Heartbeat ,best song we have entered in years .
    LOL that's what people said about last years song.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love the French song.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

I would put my money on either Norway or Poland taking this. If pushed I'd say Poland will shock some people and win it with their catchy comedy song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Our song's chorus is a direct rip off from last years Teardrops. No chance of winning. Will qualify for the final though. Probably finish around 20th.

Azerbaijan

Ok ballad, has the potential to be a grower. I think the juries will like this. Doesn't sound like a top 5 song, but if Azerbaijan are rigging the votes as they have been in recent years then it could be. (Edit: This isn't actually confirmed as the Azerbaijan entry, but it's expected that it will be. Hope they pick something else though, they can do better)

Meanwhile, the UK's entry has pretty much been confirmed as Children of the Universe by Molly Smitten-Downes. Official confirmation to come at 7.30.

TGJD wrote: »
    I would put my money on either Norway or Poland taking this. If pushed I'd say Poland will shock some people and win it with their catchy comedy song.

If you're backing Norway on the presumption they will pick Silent Storm then you could well be correct. I doubt Poland could win though. There's no way the juries would get behind this. I know the juries can be surprising sometimes, but I can't imagine any circumstances where Poland would be near the top of the jury rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,640 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I feel slightly cheated that we here in the UK don't have our own Eurosong special anymore, similar to Friday night's LLS shenanigans!

Where's Sonia squaring up to Bonnie Tyler?

Daz Sampson squaring up to Carrie and David Grant?

Harrumph!

*kicks the cat*

Here's the UK entry. I'm not mad about the song itself (the melody is ok but the lyrics are too cheesy) but I love her voice so I want it to do well. It may not be a winner but I think the UK will have a better year than usual this time around:

EDIT: Ok I've listened a couple of more times and it's seriously growing on me. :o I think it's her voice more than anything else; vocally she reminds me a little of Ellie Goulding but with a bit of a rockier/raspier quality.
    Also interesting to note that nearly all of the negative comments about it seem to be from British people! :pac:

Yeah not sure about the UK entry myself, I'll have to give it a couple of more listens. Like you say, the lyrics are cheesy but she can really sing, which obviously helps. It'll work a lot better on a big stage. On first impressions though, it's certainly a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd prefer Ireland's song over that but it sounds like they have a stronger singer.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Here's the UK entry. I'm not mad about the song itself (the melody is ok but the lyrics are too cheesy) but I love her voice so I want it to do well. It may not be a winner but I think the UK will have a better year than usual this time around:

EDIT: Ok I've listened a couple of more times and it's seriously growing on me. :o I think it's her voice more than anything else; vocally she reminds me a little of Ellie Goulding but with a bit of a rockier/raspier quality.
    Also interesting to note that nearly all of the negative comments about it seem to be from British people! :pac:

Yeah I think it's a grower alright. Apparently it's going to get a revamp before Copenhagen, which should work in its favour. I think the chorus needs to pack more of a punch and make more use of Molly's great voice. She needs to hit a few big notes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Former UK X Factor contestant Ruth Lorenzo will be representing Spain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Former UK X Factor contestant Ruth Lorenzo will be representing Spain

Here's her song again, since the video of it that yerwanthere123 posted a week and a half ago has been removed by the uploader for whatever reason:

Advertisement