Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

recyclebin wrote: »
    The whatwillkimidonext.com website now redirects to makiacloting.com with a weird video advertisement with Kimi in it.

Bit of an anti climax really.

Eugh, bloody corporate nonsense building hopes to be a bloody huge shock move for Kimi only to have bloody hopes bloody dashed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

frostie500 wrote: »

Massa's been much more competitive since mid-season (from Silverstone he started to find his form) so he could be a very useful driver next season in tersm of collecting Constructors' points

What do you think changed in Massa since the year began. Its great news for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I don't see how that would have ended with anything other than Alonso ending up with less than the 15 points he was guaranteed with Massa behind him.

Just so he could attack webber and maybe ruin his tyres, cause a mistake, etc
    if it didnt work switch FA and FM back on the last lap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What do you think changed in Massa since the year began. Its great news for him.

Maybe improvements to the car made it easier for him to extract more performance out of it. I get the impression Alonso is better at driving around problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Pastor Maldonado behind the wheel of Damon Hill's 1996 championship winning Williams Renault FW18:

1350488393-hdd.jpg

16507.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

EnterNow wrote: »
    Delighted for him, he's been through an awful run of form & great to see him bounce back

Do ya think he's bouncing back or has someone gven him a sudden 'temporary' shot in the arm so to speak? ..as a last gasp.

Reckon he's being used as a seat filler until next year when vettel comes in. Nobody else on the grid that would suit ferrari thats available at this time so why not stick with someone who knows the car instead of having to bed them in for a season. He has good ability but there are a few new comers in F1 now pushing him down the pecking order. DiResta, Grojean (despite his errors) and Perez all learning quickly. As for Maldonado, complete retard. Wouldnt give the guy a seat on a bus if it was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

Daniel S wrote: »
    Could have caused Webber to go on the defensive, allowing Alonso to catch up and potentially take P2.

was thinking this during the race. i remember massa radioing in and telling them he was quicker than alonso at that stage of the race. webber was only a few seconds ahead. ferrari could have unleashed massa onto webber, fought, taken time to defend etc thus allowing alonso to catch up quicker. webber would have worn some of his tyres and perhaps fallen back a little making the last few laps more interesting. anyhoo yeah, alonso might have had something to say about letting massa by, but it would have paid off imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I would guess he has known his drive was secure for the last few races and the pressure has been off. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I would guess he has known his drive was secure for the last few races and the pressure has been off. :)

I reckon he's known since the Italian GP, I remember him in the drivers press conference with Lewis, while all the heat was on Lewis that weekend with the Merc rumors, they eventually asked Feilpe about his future and his body language said it all, completely laid back almost to the point of not caring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Pastor Maldonado behind the wheel of Damon Hill's 1996 championship winning Williams Renault FW18:

Saw that on twitter this morning and was frankly surprised they would trust a piece of their history to him. They also had an FW08 (I think) out today. Pastor wasn't allowed near that one!

Speaking of the FW18; Damon has been chosen to drive the RB6 at the Circuit de Catalunya at the final of the Formula Renault 3.5 season on Sunday. Interesting they chose him, doesn't Coulthard usually get those gigs? Maybe he's busy.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/hill-red-bull-show-car-021243271212199

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    Saw that on twitter this morning and was frankly surprised they would trust a piece of their history to him. They also had an FW08 (I think) out today. Pastor wasn't allowed near that one!

You're right about the FWO8. Bruno Senna and Valtteri Bottas were driving it.

Bruno Senna:

16504.jpg

Valtteri Bottas:

bott-will-fw08-silv-2012-886x590.jpg

Bottas's fellow Finn, Keke Rosberg drove the #6 Williams FW08 too, back in '82.

I have to say I'm fond of those wheels on the FW08.

Also those turquoise coloured side skirts attached to the sidepods would move up and down depending on a tracks surface to stop air from escaping at the sides for maximum ground effect.

Also, the FW08 powered Keke to the 1982 world championship.

Look at the width of the rear tyres on the FW08.....monsters :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Beautiful aren't they? And my, I'd almost forgotten how wonderful the William's livery looked like. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The FW18 was a serious motor, loved it.

Would have been nice if Williams let the 6 wheeled FW08D run yesterday:

1994johnathanpalmerwillcr71.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

http://f1news.cz/pictures/photo/2012/10/17/1350488393-hdd.jpg

http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/16500/16507.jpg

Is it just me or does his head and helmet look photoshopped in?

antodeco wrote: »
    Is it just me or does his head and helmet look photoshopped in?

I thought the same thing when I seen it, just looks off for some reason

Would have been nice if Williams let the 6 wheeled FW08D run yesterday:

1994johnathanpalmerwillcr71.jpg

Was there any logic behind that thing? What was the reason for 6 wheels??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

It allowed them to have longer ground-effect skirts and more downforce as a result.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    It allowed them to have longer ground-effect skirts and more downforce as a result.

Ah right, cheers. I presume drive only went to two of the rear wheels, & the other two were just 'rollers'?

As far as I know it was four-wheel drive, I can't imagine one set of those wheels handling the engine power very well. The FIA banned 6+ wheel cars during 1982 but It would have been great to see how it would perform. Apparently it was lapping very quickly during testing.

Also, here's the March 6-wheeler built in 1976 inspired by the Tyrrell 6-wheeler:

March-6-wheel-goodwood_2788412.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, did Ferrari build one too?

The idea was to reduce the drag by using smaller wheels. Obviously if you use smaller wheels/tyres you need more of them to maintain grip and traction.

The 4 rear wheels on the FW08 were also driven, so it gave the car excellent traction.
    As far as I know it was four-wheel drive, I can't imagine one set of those wheels handling the engine power very well. The FIA banned 6+ wheel cars during 1982 but It would have been great to see how it would perform. Apparently it was lapping very quickly during testing.

I read somewhere before that it was breaking records in testing, and when word got out, 6 wheeled cars were banned. Another reason given for banning the 6 wheeled cars was that they would cause chaos during pitstops.
    Also, here's the March 6-wheeler built in 1976 inspired by the Tyrrell 6-wheeler:

If I'm not mistaken, did Ferrari build one too?

As far as I know, only three constructors built six wheeled cars, and they were Tyrrell, Williams and March.

Here's an article about the six wheeled Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

LIGHTNING wrote: »

I would also have the added benefit of giving a little bit more of a safety margin. Loosing a rear tyre would mean limping back to the pits would be far easier. However it would also give Grosjean two extra possible targets to hit.

I honestly think he has shares in Pirelli!

I read some article about the Williams 6 wheel car before, apparently when they tested it in Donnington(I think) when they did a start procedure, it took off like a bullet, amazing looking thing anyway.

Yeah that was one of the other reasons for going with the 6 wheeler - traction.

Williams wanted to go turbo but the turbo engines had problems with huge torque and were producing 150 to 200hp+ more than the NA engines. So with 4 front sized wheels at the back instead of two big wheels you get more contact with the road and the power and torque is divided between them reducing wheel spin, thus increasing acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Force India have lost Hulkenberg to Sauber and the bbc say they will replace him with Buemi, Alguersuari or Sutil. Sauber haven't yet announced a second driver but are likely to take their third driver over Kobaishi so there are two places up for grabs between those two teams. All I can think is why has nobody though of Kovalainen, when you consider the car he has been driving I think he could be one of the better drivers out there now, I'd pick him before Massa, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Perez or Maldonado but he just doesn't seem to be able to move up into a better team for whatever reason. Anyone know why that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

GarIT wrote: »
    All I can think is why has nobody though of Kovalainen, when you consider the car he has been driving I think he could be one of the better drivers out there now, I'd pick him before Massa, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Perez or Maldonado but he just doesn't seem to be able to move up into a better team for whatever reason. Anyone know why that is?

He's older than all the people you've mentioned bar Massa (same age).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

He's older than all the people you've mentioned bar Massa (same age).

He is still faster, he probably wouldn't be a long term driver but he could win points for Williams or Froce India or Toro Rosso that they aren't getting now, even for a season I think he would be worth looking into.

He is still faster, he probably wouldn't be a long term driver but he could win points for Williams or Froce India or Toro Rosso that they aren't getting now, even for a season I think he would be worth looking into.

I think most people would like to see him in a faster car, the Caterham doesn't do him justice at all.

I started a thread a week or so ago outlining who I would like in which seat next year. I put himself and Bottas in Williams. Kovalianen would be a great team mate to Bottas imo and they would haul in points for Williams. That said, I'd rather see both of them in a Sauber! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Sauber have a few big Mexican sponsors threatening to pull out if they don't give Gutierrez a seat next year, He also brings Telmex money with him so it's almost inevitable he'll be named soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

All I can think is why has nobody though of Kovalainen, when you consider the car he has been driving I think he could be one of the better drivers out there now, I'd pick him before Massa, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Perez or Maldonado but he just doesn't seem to be able to move up into a better team for whatever reason. Anyone know why that is?

I'd say teams are also unwilling to gamble on him after is poor showing at McLaren.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very interesting article with Adrian Newey for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Force India have lost Hulkenberg to Sauber and the bbc say they will replace him with Buemi, Alguersuari or Sutil. Sauber haven't yet announced a second driver but are likely to take their third driver over Kobaishi so there are two places up for grabs between those two teams. All I can think is why has nobody though of Kovalainen, when you consider the car he has been driving I think he could be one of the better drivers out there now, I'd pick him before Massa, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Perez or Maldonado but he just doesn't seem to be able to move up into a better team for whatever reason. Anyone know why that is?

Heikki wanted to stay with Caterham, here's a few bits that he's said to me over the year:
    SE: You’re here three years. Is this the last year of your contract?
    HK: Yes

SE: Are you looking to stay on?
    HK: I haven’t thought about it yet; it’s early in the year. I think that at the moment I will wait and see what direction we are heading in and then make my mind up later on.

SE: Are you happy with the progress that has been made?
    HK: So far yes. I guess this year we haven’t hit our target and no-one is happy about this but in the problematic areas, which is aerodynamics, I think that what we have done lately is positive. We have the right people coming to the team and raising our capacity. It will help that area to improve so I think with a bit more time I will talk racing with them.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

I think most people would like to see him in a faster car, the Caterham doesn't do him justice at all.

I started a thread a week or so ago outlining who I would like in which seat next year. I put himself and Bottas in Williams. Kovalianen would be a great team mate to Bottas imo and they would haul in points for Williams. That said, I'd rather see both of them in a Sauber! :)

And what about the £50 odd million that Pastor brings to the team. They're hardly gonna swap that for a Finn who wasn't good enough at McLaren.

The thing about Pastor I feel is that there is actually a genuine world championship contender in him. Sure he brings a lot of money to the team obviously but fúck me he can be lightning quick sometimes.

He was great in Spain and his qualification at Singapore was really fantastic. He loves street circuts, he excels on them but if he can get some concistency, cut out the mistakes and keep that edge he has he can go far.

I'd like to see himself and Bottas together next year. I'd love to see Williams back up at the upper echelons of the grid.

Ares wrote: »
    The thing about Pastor I feel is that there is actually a genuine world championship contender in him. Sure he brings a lot of money to the team obviously but fúck me he can be lightning quick sometimes.

He did win GP2 (beating Perez in the process). Unfortunately for him his reputation is such that I doubt a bit team will come calling like they did for Perez.

Ferrari have been straigh-line testing the past few days in Spain, they are throwing the whole thing at it now.

Personally, I hope we get a close end to the season, I would have no issue with Vettel winning it if he did it in a straight dog fight, but if RB get that dominance again, I think it will undermine what has been a great season, especially after 2011.

And what about the £50 odd million that Pastor brings to the team. They're hardly gonna swap that for a Finn who wasn't good enough at McLaren.
    That's why I called it a line up I'd like to see. Not what I think it will be.

• Advertisement

That's why I called it a line up I'd like to see. Not what I think it will be.

That's a pointless exercise to be honest. Reality has to play a part in it.

My ideal scenario for F1 would be Alonso and Hamilton driving for HRT, Raikkonen and Vettel for Marussia and Kartikayen and Charles Pic driving for Red Bull. Why because it'd be a great laugh. But its also never going to happen.

I'm sure 100% of all Newcastle fans would love to see Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta at their club. It's still an absolute fairytale that won't happen.

That's a pointless exercise to be honest. Reality has to play a part in it.

My ideal scenario for F1 would be Alonso and Hamilton driving for HRT, Raikkonen and Vettel for Marussia and Kartikayen and Charles Pic driving for Red Bull. Why because it'd be a great laugh. But its also never going to happen.

I'm sure 100% of all Newcastle fans would love to see Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta at their club. It's still an absolute fairytale that won't happen.

So what? Life would be pretty dull if nobody had an imagination. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Kevski wrote: »
    So what? Life would be pretty dull if nobody had an imagination. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Cool, start the 'what would happen if all 24 F1 drivers got killed in a mysterious accident.'

That would be interesting wouldn't it. Gotta love imagination. :rolleyes:

Cool, start the 'what would happen if all 24 F1 drivers got killed in a mysterious accident.'

I'll leave you to do that. The guy was speculating, not trying being smart.

Good question. :pac:

Red Bull 1: Sebastian Buemi
    Red Bull 2: Jaime Alguarsuari
    McLaren 1: The Stig
    McLaren 2: Brendon Hartely
    Ferrari 1: Giancarlo Fisichella
    Ferrari 2: Rubens Barrichello
    Mercedes 1: Nick Heidfeld
    Mercedes 2: Sebastian Loeb
    Lotus 1: Jerome D'Ambrosio
    Lotus 2: Juan Pablo Montoya
    Sauber 1: Esteban Gutierrez
    Sauber 2: Me
    Force India 1: Jules Bianchi
    Force India 2: Ralf Schumacher
    Williams 1: Valtteri Bottas
    Williams 2: Suzy Wolff
    Caterham 1: Giedo van der Garde
    Caterham 2: Alexander Rossi
    Marussia 1: Max Chilton
    Marussia 2: Vicky Piria
    HRT 1: Dani Clos
    HRT 2: Travis Pastrana

:D

Lighten the fook up would you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Brendon Hartely! Isnt he in Strictly come Dancing:confused:

Brendon Hartely! Isnt he in Strictly come Dancing:confused:

Mercedes AMG F1 Test driver and Murphy Prototypes driver:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Mercedes AMG F1 Test driver and Murphy Prototypes driver:

Brendon's a fantastic prototype driver very unlucky at the weekend with electrical problems while running strongly at Petit Le Mans.

in other news an on board lap of COTA in a Ferrari 458 Italia

432px-Austin_Formula_One_circuit.svg.png

I was looking at the Circuit of the Americas track, 3-9 remind me of the esses you find at the tracks in Mexico City and Suzuka.

14-16 is like the stadium section at the Hockenheimring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Advertisement