Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why not Linux

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Been a loyal KDE user for over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

syklops wrote: »
    Been a loyal KDE user for over a decade.

Me too .... tried the others but missed the ability to tweak to my liking, and also the KDE apps that I use.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ah, I see. I'll try that later when I am in front of it.

See what I mean about not being user-friendly? :D

No :D

It is just different to what you are used to ;)

Put another way ..... providing the multiple options for dealing with an icon is it not sensible to keep those options in one location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'll always need Windows for ms development and games. I'm going to give Linux try another go soon though. I'm fed up with the constant gargantuan updates on Windows 8.x if you have a few machines in a house the size of the updates have got out of hand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you not try WINE and develop Windows Applications there instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Itzy wrote: »
    Would you not try WINE and develop Windows Applications there instead?

Agreed. Wine is improving all the time.

https://www.winehq.org

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Anyone got a better distro than Ubuntu 14.04 to recommend?
    I installed mine (Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21M), it was great, did a few updates and then spectacularly imploded until it's not even booting anymore.
    Even before that hangs and crashes that made me want to go back to Windows 98, as it was more stable.
    Fortunately I installed Ubuntu alongside Debian as a dual boot and that continues to work perfectly.
    Only snag is trying to get the graphics card to work perfectly, all videos are jerky and have tearing if there's any kind of motion or panning.

I installed mine (Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21M), it was great, did a few updates and then spectacularly imploded until it's not even booting anymore.
    Even before that hangs and crashes that made me want to go back to Windows 98, as it was more stable.
    Fortunately I installed Ubuntu alongside Debian as a dual boot and that continues to work perfectly.
    Only snag is trying to get the graphics card to work perfectly, all videos are jerky and have tearing if there's any kind of motion or panning.

The latest albeit non-LTS Ubuntu release is due out this month. It will have more up to date drivers and a newer kernel. It may be more compatible with your laptop. You are having issues with the video driver.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I run Debian and Arch Linux. If you want something with bleeding-edge software, check out Arch. There's a nice (unofficial) GUI installer now which saves a lot of time on the install. You can select from a large number of desktop environments during the install - I personally recommend MATE or Xfce.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/evolutionlinux/

PropJoe10 wrote: »

I personally recommend MATE or Xfce.

+1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If Ubuntu is causing issues, I'd personally stick with Debian. When I get a new machine, I may dual boot with Fedora or Mint.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, will look into that.

Itzy wrote: »
    If Ubuntu is causing issues, I'd personally stick with Debian. When I get a new machine, I may dual boot with Fedora or Mint.

I would not recommend Fedora (too bleeding edge) to people unless they are more experienced with GNU/Linux. It's probably best to stick with Ubuntu/Debian (in that order) based distros first.

Worztron wrote: »
    I would not recommend Fedora (too bleeding edge) to people unless they are more experienced with GNU/Linux. It's probably best to stick with Ubuntu/Debian (in that order) based distros first.

Just said I'd give a mention to a very nice distro I used a while back - Netrunner. Uses the KDE desktop environment, there's a rolling release version and a standard version. Really liked it, community seems nice and active and helpful too. The standard version is based on Kubuntu (basically Ubuntu) and the rolling release is based on Manjaro/Arch. Really liked it - seems very stable and user friendly. Its well worth a look.

Just said I'd give a mention to a very nice distro I used a while back - Netrunner. Uses the KDE desktop environment, there's a rolling release version and a standard version. Really liked it, community seems nice and active and helpful too. The standard version is based on Kubuntu (basically Ubuntu) and the rolling release is based on Manjaro/Arch. Really liked it - seems very stable and user friendly. Its well worth a look.

Yes, that distro looks great. I find the Linux community to be fantastic.

For a more stable distro - opt for the non-rolling releases.

I've tried Manjaro before on two difference occasions on my old laptop but left for various reasons. I tend to avoid rolling releases - too liable to breakages.

Cheers.

I've tried Manjaro before on two difference occasions on my old laptop but left for various reasons. I tend to avoid rolling releases - too liable to breakages.

Cheers.

Yeah i prefer the rolling releases myself because I like to have the most up to date software, but for long-term stability, the Ubuntu LTS releases or Debian are probably the way to go. Ubuntu MATE is lovely, and is now an official Ubuntu flavour - anyone that likes MATE or liked Gnome 2 should check it out.

Yeah i prefer the rolling releases myself because I like to have the most up to date software, but for long-term stability, the Ubuntu LTS releases or Debian are probably the way to go. Ubuntu MATE is lovely, and is now an official Ubuntu flavour - anyone that likes MATE or liked Gnome 2 should check it out.

Distros based on Ubuntu LTS releases are very stable - maybe as stable as the stable branch of Debian -- also with a PPA, you can get the latest version of a lot of software - though the kernel may be a little outdated. I began with Ubuntu with Gnome2 - loved it but hated when Unity took over so I was delighted when MATE came along a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cheers.

Maybe it depends on the distro ...... but I have been using a 'rolling' release distro for many years and have no horror stories to report, either from myself or other users who frequent the forum.

It probably depends on how much care is taken when packages are updated and added to the repository.
    Careless additions could easily cause problems.

New ISOs are produced a few times per year to allow new installs not need too large an update.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Mate is the bees knees .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Been flicking between Arch & Hybryde for the past couple of years. That Netrunner seems to have a nice feel to it. I think I will give it a go, even though it will probably seem much the same as any other KDE

rebeve wrote: »
    Mate is the bees knees .

+1

• Advertisement

bpb101 wrote: »
    Why not Linux

why_not_zoidberg__by_nogard00-d5523p1.jpg

Advertisement