Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just chain yourself to the pipework until they give you a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I forgive Friar Weisse-the first time I had it, it was disgusting, burned, undrinkable. Tried it again the other night, and it was one of th most pleasant beers I have ever had. Good stuff.

Still have to try their stout, but everything else they make is delicious, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Love Thornbridge beers but they're just killer price wise.

+1. Their weiss and RIS are both fantastic but about a fiver a pop each. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Svijanská Desítka 10° - Pivovar Svijany smells very grassy and could smell it pouring.
    Tastes citrusy and slightly hoppy but quite plain , does not have that kick I was looking for and can see why it cost me around 40 cent in the supermarket.

Damn waste of 40 cent:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've got some O'Hara's Pale Ale, and I'm really struggling to see why people like Pale ale. Can someone explain what's good about it, so I can hopefully find the flavour that I'm missing. I mean, it's not undrinkable, and maybe my palate needs training for it, but it's just not great. Maybe I should just stick to stouts. :)

Have some Leann Follain too though, just trying to get into Pale ale given there is so much around. :)

• Advertisement

I've got some O'Hara's Pale Ale, and I'm really struggling to see why people like Pale ale. Can someone explain what's good about it, so I can hopefully find the flavour that I'm missing. I mean, it's not undrinkable, and maybe my palate needs training for it, but it's just not great. Maybe I should just stick to stouts. :)

Have some Leann Follain too though, just trying to get into Pale ale given there is so much around. :)

I hated Pale ales when I started drinking different beers and but I slowly went onto them. My palate just changed and developed for them.
    I dont know how I and I dont know why.
    As I said way back before on an earlier post just try 1 new beer a week. It will surprise you eventually and I think €2-€4 isn't that much to spend experimenting on a few different beers every week.

slayerking wrote: »
    Krušovice Černe is quite a nice dark lager if you happen to come across it.

Just realised they have 2 dark beers. I just tried the lighter version at 3.8% and its not bad but a bit light. None of the heavier stuff where I am at the moment but will keep an eye out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Having a bottle of JW Lees Moonraker.

Lovely stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had a Wychwood Scarecrow. Quite bitter but mediocre really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

currently enjoying a bottle of Anchor Humming Ale, slightly fruity aftertaste to it to go along with the bitterness of the hops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Erdinger Oktoberfest. Sometimes its hard to remember this years vs previous years but I'm very impressed with it.

I'm also impressed with Spaten Oktoberfest to prove I'm not simply biased.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Erdinger Oktoberfest. Sometimes its hard to remember this years vs previous years but I'm very impressed with it.

I'm also impressed with Spaten Oktoberfest to prove I'm not simply biased.

I salute your impartiality

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mannix1888

Stella Artois Cidre is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Try some of the American ones. They have a bit more oomph.
    Anyway, had a Brewdog Hardcore and a Wrasslers earlier.
    On the Aussie Shiraz now.

Mannix1888 wrote: »
    Stella Artois Cidre is pretty good.
    We got it in at work during the week, tried a bottle. It went down the kitchen sink after two sips. Way too sweet and fizzy for me. It will probably sell by the truckload but I'll stick to stonewell cider from now on, at least you can taste apples in that:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pint of Dancing Duck Oatmeal Stout tonight in Kavanagh's Dorset Street.

Decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I had a bottle of O'Hara's Pale Ale this weekend and based on my findings you would have to try a different beer to find the flavours. This one is very bland and does not represent pale ales very well at all. (I don't know if your opinion is based on other beers too, but the only example you give is a weak one)

Maybe try Thornbridge Halcyon, Odell's Myrcenary, Flying Dog Double Dog etc - just try and see you buy a bottle that hasn't been sitting on the shelves for months on end as IPA's lose flavour when not relatively fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snowblind wrote: »
    I had a bottle of O'Hara's Pale Ale this weekend and based on my findings you would have to try a different beer to find the flavours. This one is very bland and does not represent pale ales very well at all. (I don't know if your opinion is based on other beers too, but the only example you give is a weak one)

Maybe try Thornbridge Halcyon, Odell's Myrcenary, Flying Dog Double Dog etc - just try and see you buy a bottle that hasn't been sitting on the shelves for months on end as IPA's lose flavour when not relatively fresh.

You're not really comparing like for like there. Setting aside the big Pale Ale -v- IPA debate, the beers you've listed are all Double/Imperial IPA's which are worlds apart from the O'Hara's IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I liked the Stella Cidre, for about half the bottle. Began to gather a very dry and bitter taste, so I didn't bother with a second.

My brother in law had a few of these for me in Manchester, while I was visiting at the weekend.

th.ashx?filename=~%2F_assets%2Fshop%2Fbeer%2Ftwelve+days.jpg&width=371&height=500&aspect=1&cache=1&q=100

Really delicious, it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

snowblind wrote: »

I thought O' Hara's IPA has a very full taste to it actually, but only after it warmed up a bit. Not anything too warm (as in room temperature), but a bit above fridge temperature and then you can really taste the true flavor of it and not be overwhelmed by the bitterness that dominates the taste at low temperatures. But, that's only what I experienced and I think it's a fine example of an IPA.

Also, I would agree with BaZmO*, in that you cannot compare an IPA with a Double IPA. Different tastes altogether, but still well worth trying as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You're not really comparing like for like there. Setting aside the big Pale Ale -v- IPA debate, the beers you've listed are all Double/Imperial IPA's which are worlds apart from the O'Hara's IPA.
    You're right, I wasn't comparing them, nor did I set out to do that! I was recommending another kind of pale ale that could be a better fit for someone who didn't find enough of a taste in O'Haras.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Drinking a Brewdog Dead Pony Club whilst doing a brew. Lovely 3.8% hoppy session pale ale. Crap name though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Did you get that in Ireland irish_goat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Yeh spill the beans I'd say that beer is right up my street

I got it in Sainsbury's in Derry. They're stocking the 660ml Punk IPA as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

irish_goat wrote: »
    Drinking a Brewdog Dead Pony Club whilst doing a brew. Lovely 3.8% hoppy session pale ale. Crap name though.
    Have you tried Fyne Ales Jarl? I'm just wondering how it compares, also being a very sessionable pale ale. One of my favourites.

I'll put it on my to-drink list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

irish_goat wrote: »

That's one of the main annoying things about craft beers. It can be hard to find a nice session beer. A lot are at least 5% but for a session I'd like around the 3.8 - 4%

Picked myself up a bottle of Mikkeler Coffee IPA to add to my stock in prep for my first c-word in my own house. The collection is coming along rather nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sipping on a Brewdog Anarchist/Alchemist. Really powerful stuff.

Actually I think it might be the highest ABV beer I've had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement