Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thornbridge Halcyon similar to Jaipur but alot fruitier.
    Still not a bad beer and love most of what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Left Hand Brewing Co. - Milk Stout last night. Top top beer. Had their 400 Pound Monkey IPA recently too and that was equally as good.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Left Hand Brewing Co. - Milk Stout last night. Top top beer. Had their 400 Pound Monkey IPA recently too and that was equally as good.

Must try the 400 Pound Monkey again as I had it a long time ago and it wasn't that good but I have had a few bottles of beer that didn't travel well from the US and on 2nd tasting was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Any idea the name of the place? Might check it out over the weekend. Is it kind of like the Bierhaus setup, some stuff on tap and plenty of various bottles?

Yeah, never been into the Bierhaus, but pretty much like that. There's around 10-12 (not too sure) different beers on tap (and the barman said they're getting in Galway Hooker on tap soon), mostly Irish stuff (but also Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!). Then there's a massive fridge with beer from pretty much everywhere.

Not the cheapest, but tbh for what you're getting (delicious craft beer, lots of imported and domestic stuff, knowledgeable bar staff) it's very reasonable, and not much more expensive than the piss in most places. I don't think price a huge consideration for people who enjoy craft beer anyway!

No idea what the actual name of it is though. Like I said, I have many many beers left to try there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Yeah, never been into the Bierhaus, but pretty much like that. There's around 10-12 (not too sure) different beers on tap (and the barman said they're getting in Galway Hooker on tap soon), mostly Irish stuff (but also Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!). Then there's a massive fridge with beer from pretty much everywhere.

Not the cheapest, but tbh for what you're getting (delicious craft beer, lots of imported and domestic stuff, knowledgeable bar staff) it's very reasonable, and not much more expensive than the piss in most places. I don't think price a huge consideration for people who enjoy craft beer anyway!

No idea what the actual name of it is though. Like I said, I have many many beers left to try there.

Thanks for that. Must try and take a trip to this place then over the weekend and see what they have in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

had the pleasure to visit http://www.roadsidetavern.ie/roadside/asp/page.asp?p=1

spent a few hours and sampled all 3 brews, the lager was good but only had 1 glass.

the red ale was quality and also had the fish n chip dinner with the batter being done in the ale, it came out a dark red and i was thinking they had over cooked the fish but it was perfect.

the stout was unbelivable, one of the best i have tasted. a nice rich smooth coffee stout. €3.90 a pt.

was staying in Kilkee and found a few pubs selling pts of Beamish at €3.20 a pt, a good stout imo and great value.

got a nice suprise when i went into the next door off license in Kilkee to find about 20 different craft beers on sale, they

had Dungarvans n Whitewaters plus 4 or 5 different English ales plus same amount of US ales n lagers and a few from

NZ and OZ, also noticed a few good ciders.

picked up a meantime IPA and little creatures for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Have a choice between Brewdog Never mind the Analbolics and Nogne o 100 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Currently enjoying a bottle of avalanche ale and a bottle of Python IPA to follow

Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla Stout.

Amazing beer. I wouldn't normally splash out this much for a beer but I decided to treat myself a few weeks back, and I'm glad I did!

It pours like treacle from a tin, with the colour of molasses. Flavours are so wonderfully rich and complex with strong whiskey/bourbon, toffee, molasses, vanilla flavours wrapped up in a strong alcohol hit.

Tbh, this is not a beer I would've enjoyed a few years ago, but as I've gotten used to stronger abv beers I've certainly come to appreciate the complexities.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla Stout.

Amazing beer. I wouldn't normally splash out this much for a beer but I decided to treat myself a few weeks back, and I'm glad I did!

It pours like treacle from a tin, with the colour of molasses. Flavours are so wonderfully rich and complex with strong whiskey/bourbon, toffee, molasses, vanilla flavours wrapped up in a strong alcohol hit.

Tbh, this is not a beer I would've enjoyed a few years ago, but as I've gotten used to stronger abv beers I've certainly come to appreciate the complexities.

How much was it? Was feeling a bit similar about the Nogne O and the Anabloic but when you're only having one beer for the night it's sometimes worth spending that bit extra.

Went for the Nogne O in the end tonight. First taste had a molasses hint but settled into it and it's very nice. Sweet with a fruit and malty caramel flavour and has a bit of a kick to it which settles in nicely.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    How much was it? Was feeling a bit similar about the Nogne O and the Anabloic but when you're only having one beer for the night it's sometimes worth spending that bit extra.
    €20

But that's for a 650ml that's 13% so I used the wine rationale :)

I'll either just drink half of it or just the bottle on its own. So yeah, it's kinda the equivalent of having a few lower strength beers.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

But that's for a 650ml that's 13% so I used the wine rationale
    Used this same rationale many a time now ! Its a slippery fun slope once you start using it though.
    Yeah I've noticed the same.

matrim would be interested to know what you think of Nevermind the Anabolics when you drink it, I had it myself last week.

Had my first Brewdog Punk IPA in a can this week, loved it ! Although I think it lost some of the body that the bottle version has, and it did feel weird drinking a craft beer from a can. Also had the following this week

Great Divide Oak Aged chocolate stout - amazing, I'd put it up there in my top 10 list. These guys can make stouts.

Brewdog's Abstrakt 10 - an Imperial brown ale aged in red wine barrels. Didn't really do it for me. Has that harshness you get from a barleywine, but way too overpowering.

Raging Dog Horn Dog - delicious.

Wasn't planning on drinking the Great Divide and Raging Dog beers, but they were out of date by a month and 4 months respectively. Going to have to pay closer attention to the label before splashing out in the future.

Has anybody seen Abstrakt 09 around Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm pretty sure I've seen 09 in McHughs

Was in the celtic whiskey store today with my girlfriend. I was looking at the beers and saw Brewdog Black Tokyo. After asking the price (€24) decided against it but got home and my GF gave me the bottle. She had bought it for me when I wasn't looking :D

Will be keeping that for a special occasion.

And for tonight I have 8 Degrees Irish red.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Just has some belguim white beer - we really do drink piss in Ireland

That shop is getting quite good with craft beer now, I tend to go there mainly these days. They sell Brewdog's Hardcore IPA for 3.30, other places I've been to sell that for 4 euros. You can get Brewdog Punk IPA cans there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently drinking Fullers Black Cap stout.
    Not very impressed by it. Their London Porter is far better.

matrim wrote: »
    Was in the celtic whiskey store today with my girlfriend. I was looking at the beers and saw Brewdog Black Tokyo. After asking the price (€24) decided against it but got home and my GF gave me the bottle. She had bought it for me when I wasn't looking :D

Will be keeping that for a special occasion.

And for tonight I have 8 Degrees Irish red.
    Sounds like something my girlfriend would (has) do (done) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Smcgie wrote: »
    Just has some belguim white beer - we really do drink piss in Ireland
    Speak for yourself!
    Right now drinking metalman pa in wexford. So good I'm out past my bedtime on a school night(for me).

• Advertisement

Can't believe it but my Dad was drinking Troble Or tonight and said he can't believe how nice beer can be!!!

He likes the odd Innis and Gunn but thanks to the guys in Mulligans and beer sampling he discovered Or.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Can't believe it but my Dad was drinking Troble Or tonight and said he can't believe how nice beer can be!!!

viva la revolution :D

My Mom likes Brewdog Punk IPA surprisingly. I think some people just love the bitterness from it. I've had Uncles, who would only drink Guinness, really like stouts from Nogneo/Great Divide/Brewdog. Sadly, if they were given the choice of buying a beer, they would go for the mass produced stuff.

ASJ112 wrote: »
    My Mom likes Brewdog Punk IPA surprisingly. I think some people just love the bitterness from it. I've had Uncles, who would only drink Guinness, really like stouts from Nogneo/Great Divide/Brewdog. Sadly, if they were given the choice of buying a beer, they would go for the mass produced stuff.

I know a few people who like to have one IPA but find the bitterness too much after more than one so because of that don't try them very often.

I love the bitterness. But saying that 2-3 years ago I would have said its sick.

I always was an ale lover but changed when started getting US hoppy beers over here regularly which I hated initially but the taste grew on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Fionnbarra's have Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner on tap now, have to go get some of that before it's gone

Staropramen Černý it's a Dunkel styled beer. Nice and simple nothing crazy going on here.

Slight caramel aftertaste. I prefer other Czech dark beers than this but I'm 100m from the brewery it would be rude not to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 KevinRyanMac

Tried Galway Bay red ale, 8 Degree Howling gale ale and Franciscan Well friar weisse all on draft at the black sheep.

All exceptional but the Friar Weisse is something else.

Tried Krušovice beer tonight seemed like a light pils type beer. Only a tiny bar with 1 tap so no real choice.

Drinkable all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Tried Krušovice beer tonight seemed like a light pils type beer. Only a tiny bar with 1 tap so no real choice.

Drinkable all the same.

Krušovice Černe is quite a nice dark lager if you happen to come across it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement