Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Koloman wrote: »
    Get your facts right DDigital. The so called "Bertie Bowl" was supposed to be a national stadium capable of hosting the Gaa, soccer, rugby and athletics. When that went by the wall the FAI and IRFU came up with the Lansdowne road redevelopment.

The new Aviva stadium is not a "National Stadium". Even Bertie Ahern (sorry to mention his name) said last year that he hoped that a national stadium would be built in his lifetime. Lansdowne road ain't it!

My facts on this matter are crystal clear.

"Bertie Bowl" as a national stadium was proposed by a Government party. (Fiannna Fail) The PDs (another Government party) lead by Mary Harney were against it. The PDs favoured redeveloping Landsdowne road as a cheaper alternative. They refused to consider the "Bertie bowl" as part of the programme for Government in 2002. Bertie needed them onside to form a Government, so he agreed to the lower cost redevelopment of Landsdowne. Whether you like or not Koloman, this Aviva stadium is the Government version of a national stadium. It grew from the proposal to build one. Bertie can lament all he wants about his version of a "national stadium", but he took the route to power over his desire to see a new stadium built on a greenfield site.

Lansdowne road is it. Not a great version though, is it?:D

The FAI and IRFU had nothing to do with it. The FAI had already been bought off by Bertie to abandon "Eircom Park." in favour of Bertie Bowl. The IRFU were happy to sell Landsdowne road to developers and row in behind Bertie and his grand plan out in Abbotstown, despite having their own plan for building a new stadium on lands near Newlands Cross. It was Mary Harney and the PDs who scuppered the deal. The GAA got shafted on the basis of the fact that Croker was part funded by Government grants, so it was quietly revealed that the new landsdowne would actually be too small to facilitate GAA pitch sizes. The athletics association had no power or influence and just went along for the ride, hence Croker is now carrying out a feasibility study to see if they can accomodate a temporary track for a grand prix athletics event.

In fairness I really don't think you are as up to speed on all this as you'd like to think. I respect your excitement about Landsdowne road/Aviva Stadium. It will be a nice venue. But its faults are real. It won't be world class. It will just be a new, modern stadium thats better than what was there before. And the simple fact of the matter is, its evolved out of a very long and protracted battle at the cabinet table of Government. Another ****ed up idea from the lads who lead the country during its richest years in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

DDigital wrote: »

the fact that Croker was part funded by Government grants

whereas aviva stadium is half funded by the govt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I've been following the stadiums progress on their website and I'm in then camp that feels a bit dissapointed by it.

2 things stick out for me:
    The south stand. The old south terrace was surely higher than this new stand? Was the drastic reduction in height really so necessary?

& the roof beams.
    Those sitting at the back of the main stands wont be able to see across the stadium because the roof will be sloping down.
    It wont restrict pitch view but will feel clostrophobic (sp).

I am afraid that in 2014 we will look at this and think: "oppertunity lost?"

that said I am still supportive of the location, and the project by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Maybe the IRFU could do a swap with the GAA! They only got 50,000 people at the match in Croke Park today. Apart from the Dublin team and the rugby matches it seems that Croke park is too big a stadium for them.smile.gif

Problem sorted!biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

Not sorted at all.

The Aviva stadium pitch is too small for GAA games.

• Advertisement

Not sorted at all.

The Aviva stadium pitch is too small for GAA games.

Erm... I know that the Aviva stadium pitch is too small!rolleyes.gif I thought it was obvious I was only joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

sure you were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

The Landsdowne Road pitch had been limited to be too small for GAA matches which is stupid . .

The GAA seem to schedule games so as it is only a full house when dublins footballers play(i.e. up to the leinster final...)
    or for the all-ireland's themselves, and maybe the semis... double headers are they way to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Landsdowne Road pitch had been limited to be too small for GAA matches which is stupid
    The difference in size of the infield area of a full-size GAA pitch and a full-size rugby pitch is enormous. A soccer pitch is closer but still quite a bit smaller. Unless you spend vast amounts of money on movable-tiers you end up with a compromised stadium for it's two main sports. It's just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

The GAA have plenty of stadiums in the 30,000 to 50,000 range that they don't use for the QF's onwards so I doubt they would be too interested in using Lansdowne rd regardless of pitch size.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Steviemak wrote: »

They look very impressive. But I'm becoming a bit concerned about the roof structure - looks like it'll significantly impair the views of spectators on the upper tiers...? They'll be able to see the pitch, but not the opposite stand? Sounds like that'd feel a bit claustrophobic...

Anyone have further info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Just sit in the Havelock Sq end of the ground and you'll see everything.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

ALH-06 wrote: »
    They look very impressive. But I'm becoming a bit concerned about the roof structure - looks like it'll significantly impair the views of spectators on the upper tiers...? They'll be able to see the pitch, but not the opposite stand? Sounds like that'd feel a bit claustrophobic...

Anyone have further info on this?

Read back on earlier posts in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I like the august picture updates,
    I think the fine weather is making them look that bit better.

I'm particularly liking the glass outside walls of the stadium too.

Though that stand behind the goal ...... I know there are reasons for its minute stature, but people will look at it with a "WTF" perspective.

Hopefully progress will be good in the Autumn months

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Coming along nicely.

I wonder could they have made the Northern end a bit steeper without actually changing the other structure?

I say this as i feel it would give the appearance of a larger stand. The current pictures seem to have is going back with the same gradient as the lower sections of the other stands. I think of the millennium stadium as an example. They didn't have the room to go back as far on one side so they made the stand steeper to give the stadium a more complete look.

Obviously it is only meters we are talking about but anything that makes that stand a bit less insignificant would be an improvement.

Photo 4 of the ground shots highlights it best i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Steviemak wrote: »
    Coming along nicely.

I wonder could they have made the Northern end a bit steeper without actually changing the other structure?

I say this as i feel it would give the appearance of a larger stand. The current pictures seem to have is going back with the same gradient as the lower sections of the other stands. I think of the millennium stadium as an example. They didn't have the room to go back as far on one side so they made the stand steeper to give the stadium a more complete look.

Obviously it is only meters we are talking about but anything that makes that stand a bit less insignificant would be an improvement.

Photo 4 of the ground shots highlights it best i think.

The Millenium incorporates a section of the Old Cardiff Arms Parks as it was a listed building hence the section at one end is different.

This stadium looks like the crowd will be up on the players backs which might be a good thing but it is a pity its not a complete 3/4 tier structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

that's nimbyism for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

Went down to the site yesterday to check it out for myself.

It looks amazing, cant wait to get back there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

its one of the stupidest looking stadiums ive ever seen, from the aerial shots anyway, what a waste of money, we'll be a laughing stock, its even worse than the unfinished croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

its one of the stupidest looking stadiums ive ever seen, from the aerial shots anyway, what a waste of money, we'll be a laughing stock, its even worse than the unfinished croke park

And it's too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Some people just love to complain. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Haha, there will be an amazing atmosphere in the new Lansdowne cause of the size.

dougal wrote: »
    And it's too small!

Rubbish! It's not that Lansdowne road is too small, it's that Croke Park is too BIG!

If you look at countries with a similar sized population to Ireland you will find that most of the stadiums that their teams play in are around the 30,000/ 40,000 mark. The Danish soccer team's national stadium has a capacity of 40,000 which is still 10,000 less than the new Lansdowne.

I for one can't wait to get out of Croke Park as the game gets lost in it's vastness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Croke Park is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

i understand the shasowing issue, but did it have to go THAT low? it looks a bit ridiculous, you sepnd a fortune and what do you get... a just about acceptable end product!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Idbatterim wrote: »
    i understand the shasowing issue, but did it have to go THAT low? it looks a bit ridiculous, you sepnd a fortune and what do you get... a just about acceptable end product!
    God no, they had permission to build it higher but just decided to keep it lower than that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what your saying is, that wasnt the original stadium design that got passed? it was lowered by the Co.Co or ABP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Croke Park is completed.

i was being sarcastic, it looks unfinished

Advertisement