Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cocoman wrote: »
    Source?

Yea three provincial finals on one day would be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭mjp

Mustn't be televised so which is going to be a joke. Surely all provincial finals must be shown on tv . dubs game at 4 clock and sky and rate have a ruling that they can't have live games on both at same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

cocoman wrote: »
    Source?

Brian Carroll, secretary of the County Board just confirmed it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/bcarroll17/status/752452391535083520?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Red Kev wrote: »
    Brian Carroll, secretary of the County Board just confirmed it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/bcarroll17/status/752452391535083520?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

6 day turnaround for whoever loses then. Tough ask. Its been an unhappy experience so far this year for the teams that have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

6 day turnaround for whoever loses then. Tough ask. Its been an unhappy experience so far this year for the teams that have to do it.

But they'll be playing against a 3A team who'll have a 7 day turnaround, so it's not too bad.

Winner has 2 week turnaround. If the weathers decent I think Roscommon will win. We've played poor in bad conditions this year (Monaghan, Mayo and Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Red Kev wrote: »
    But they'll be playing against a 3A team who'll have a 7 day turnaround, so it's not too bad.

I think it would be more the difference in momentum both teams would have. The 3A team would be coming in off the back of at least 2 back to back wins while Ros or Galway would have to recover mentally from losing a winnable provincial title.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

it's a right pity it won't be on the TV, there are a lot of people wont be able to travel and now have to make do with the radio,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh, I'd say it'll pop up somewhere on a stream, or Periscope. I watched the 2 Ulster replays on the aul laptoperoony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh, I'd say it'll pop up somewhere on a stream, or Periscope. I watched the 2 Ulster replays on the aul laptoperoony.

Be careful posting links for streaming, I got a DMCA notice from sky on twitter for posting a link to view a match :mad:

Yeah, I know. The Boards.ie rules don't allow it, but that doesn't mean they can't be found, if ya catch my drift....am shutting up now. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Be careful posting links for streaming, I got a DMCA notice from sky on twitter for posting a link to view a match :mad:

What's a dmca?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What's a dmca?

Copyright.

I've never been able to figure out this periscope thingy. I was looking for a link on it before but none to be found.

Yeah, I know. The Boards.ie rules don't allow it, but that doesn't mean they can't be found, if ya catch my drift....am shutting up now. ;)

What I meant was on other forums, facebook twitter etc. I know about the rules here! Its the first time I've seen it happen on twitter, its the first time its happened me! Was only trying to be helpful to people trying to view a match who were having difficulties due to location ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

mayo.mick wrote: »

MOD - I'm looking to get clarification on Periscope app- but linking to copyrighted streams have long being against the charter

AFAIK periscope is primarily used for non copyrighted content, people sharing streams of local club games, streams of their cat, streams of the street where they live. I'd say only a fraction of the content is copyrighted so it probably isn't an issue unless someone literally shares a link to a game that's on TV.

What's a dmca?

Its a "Take down notice" to the webhost where the link was posted, in this case Twitter. My tweet with the link in it and and any re-tweets or quoted tweets were also deleted by twitter, on notification from a company in India, on behalf of sky.

Jayop wrote: »
    AFAIK periscope is primarily used for non copyrighted content, people sharing streams of local club games, streams of their cat, streams of the street where they live. I'd say only a fraction of the content is copyrighted so it probably isn't an issue unless someone literally shares a link to a game that's on TV.

The Roscommon v NY game was on Periscope. It wasn't broadcast live anywhere, so it wasn't breaking any copyright laws.

The Roscommon v NY game was on Periscope. It wasn't broadcast live anywhere, so it wasn't breaking any copyright laws.

It's still the GAA's copyright, that's why the thing has a value to them.

True that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Periscope isn't illegal, but it has illegal uses.

In any event, if people legitimately want any chance of seeing it live you could do worse than checking out the satellite links for the broadcasters feed here (which may not always be live on the TV but are being commentated on live for recording purposes).

This is most certainly legal, but a little technical. It will really only be of help to people that have motorised or stationary dishes looking at 23.5E/0.8W. All the games are viewable in 1920x1080 which you will never see on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

STB. wrote: »
    Periscope isn't illegal, but it has illegal uses.

In any event, if people legitimately want any chance of seeing it live you could do worse than checking out the satellite links for the broadcasters feed here (which may not always be live on the TV but are being commentated on live for recording purposes).

This is most certainly legal, but a little technical. It will really only be of help to people that have motorised or stationary dishes looking at 23.5E/0.8W. All the games are viewable in 1920x1080 which you will never see on RTE.

You're a little beauty!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

seligehgit wrote: »
    You're a little beauty!:D

No worries. Most of them are on 23.5E but some are on 0.8W or 10E. When they are found on the day the frequencies are posted in that thread. It'll be of limited appeal to those with the right satellite dish setup.

Some funny off air stuff I can tell you.... :)

Great for people who want to archive games in high resolution with or without graphics or watch from abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Not televised! Ffs.

Am I surprised? No :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jayop wrote: »
    It's still the GAA's copyright, that's why the thing has a value to them.

Our CB was going to Periscope the Ros-Leitrim match until they ran into technical difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Syferus wrote: »
    Our CB was going to Periscope the Ros-Sligo match until they ran into technical difficulties.

Well the Sligo game was on RTE so I can well imagine that there would be "legal" difficulties.

But this one ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Well the Sligo game was on RTE so I can well imagine that there would be "legal" difficulties.

But this one ain't.

Wasn't the Sligo game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Match is now being shown live on the RTE player and the RTE Sport website..

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0713/802099-connacht-final-replay-roscommon-galway-rte/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think most commentators have disregarded how young that Roscommon (and Galway) teams were last weekend.
    8 starters for Ros under 23.
    Young lads playing in their first Connacht final have a huge fear of losing when the pressure comes on.

Mad to think the final Ros won in 2010 (0-14 to 0-13) had only one extra score than the 'borefest' in wet and windy Salthill, yet there was never a mention of the low scoring that year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I think most commentators have disregarded how young that Roscommon (and Galway) teams were last weekend.
    8 starters for Ros under 23.
    Young lads playing in their first Connacht final have a huge fear of losing when the pressure comes on.

Mad to think the final Ros won in 2010 (0-14 to 0-13) had only one extra score than the 'borefest' in wet and windy Salthill, yet there was never a mention of the low scoring that year

The 2011 final in similar conditions was Mayo 0-13 Roscommon 0-11 ... the worst connacht final I can remember was in 1993 - Mayo 1-5 Roscommon 0-7. And before anyone says its just down to Ros, looking at the other provincial final results from that year, Derry beat Donegal 0-8 to 0-6 and Dublin beat Kildare 0-11 - 0-7. Meath went out in the leinster semi final (Dublin beat them 1-10 to 0-12), Cork beat Kerry in the Munster semi (before they rigged it to meet each other in the final) 1-10 to 0-10.

I'm pretty sure Brolly, O'Rourke, et al were playing those days, but sure all football was great back when they were playing, its only current players and managers who are "useless".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What does Brolly actually know about football?
    He was a member of the great one-in-a-row team of 1993.

Advertisement