Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was composing the post in my head were I was going to call Roscommon the biggest bunch of frauds to ever walk to face of the earth, but because of Galway's inability to go two clear with nothing left I had to hold fire.

But this team and management are frauds, you were pathetic today.

Your players and management are obviously unable to grasp the fact that winning Connacht sets you up well for a deep run in this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭megadodge

I was composing the post in my head were I was going to call Roscommon the biggest bunch of frauds to ever walk to face of the earth, but because of Galway's inability to go two clear with nothing left I had to hold fire.

Your players and management are obviously unable to grasp the fact that winning Connacht sets you up well for a deep run in this championship.

This coming from a 'supporter' of a shower of frauds who couldn't beat Galway in their own ground and had to use blatant fraud to get past Fermanagh yesterday.

P!ss off back to the choker's thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

megadodge wrote: »
    This coming from a 'supporter' of a shower of frauds who couldn't beat Galway in their own ground and had to use blatant fraud to get past Fermanagh yesterday.

P!ss off back to the choker's thread!!

Mayos problems have been well documented over the past year or less.

But ye guys were supposed to be the new big thing, and your management team were supposed to be the envy of all of us in Mayo.

Taking yer time proving it now aren't ye.

As I said a few days ago, this is a golden opportunity for Roscommon based on the nature of the draw, but they did nothing today to indicate that they were anyway interested in winning this and pushing on to further things.

Must be depressing for the fans.

I'll take the draw.

Considering the truly awful conditions a three point half-time lead didn't look like it was going to be enough, but in fairness Roscommon showed great heart to come back from behind on more than one occasion.

The teams were evenly matched but Galway were able to move the ball a little quicker when Ros attacks broke down, whereas Ros were very pedestrian most of the time.

Very suprised by Compton's positioning in the full-forward line. He's an excellent footballer and a good ball-winner but with so little support inside he's not nippy enough to go past defenders or to make room to score. With Ros set up so deep Galway could afford two defenders on both himself and Enda Smith (who I though could have been moved out the field as he's an excellent ball-carrier). Thought McInerney and Seanie Mac were outstanding.

I must give special mention to Donie Smith, as I've been critical of him in the past. He showed great bottle to get up and take that free. I was dreading him taking it and was hoping Senan would give it a lash, but fair play, Donie proved me wrong.

Hopefully there'll be better conditions next week, which I think will suit Roscommon more, but there's no doubt there's a Connacht title there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Pathetic lack of balls and bottle from a host of Roscommon players today, real lack of bottle to take a kick especially the **** acting around in the last minute.

• Advertisement

Mayos problems have been well documented over the past year or less.

But ye guys were supposed to be the new big thing, and your management team were supposed to be the envy of all of us in Mayo.

Taking yer time proving it now aren't ye.

As I said a few days ago, this is a golden opportunity for Roscommon based on the nature of the draw, but they did nothing today to indicate that they were anyway interested in winning this and pushing on to further things.

Must be depressing for the fans.

Are you drunk?

Well, besides being drunk with bitterness, like quite a few of your fellow posters who think being a 'supporter' of Mayo means coming onto the Roscommon thread with pathetic, snide comments as often as possible.

In case you didn't notice, Roscommon were the ones who came from behind today, on more than one occasion. Obviously not interested in winning? What an idiotic post, but then again that's what we expect from you, why let us down.

Off you go now and prepare for the 20th anniversary of the Great Whinge of '96? All together now "they got their worst player sent off, we got our best, boohoo".

sean mac wrote: »
    Pathetic lack of balls and bottle from a host of Roscommon players today, real lack of bottle to take a kick especially the **** acting around in the last minute.

Were you at the match?

Were you at the match?

go away with that bull**** now kid, total and utter lack of conviction and bottle from a host of Roscommon players to take a punt, attitude like that will win **** all, hopefully the braver team will win replay i.e. galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Are you drunk?

Well, besides being drunk with bitterness, like quite a few of your fellow posters who think being a 'supporter' of Mayo means coming onto the Roscommon thread with pathetic, snide comments as often as possible.

In case you didn't notice, Roscommon were the ones who came from behind today, on more than one occasion. Obviously not interested in winning? What an idiotic post, but then again that's what we expect from you, why let us down.

Off you go now and prepare for the 20th anniversary of the Great Whinge of '96? All together now "they got their worst player sent off, we got our best, boohoo".

Just like ye came on to or thread when we got beat by Galway so it's ok for ye to do

naughto wrote: »
    Just like ye came on to or thread when we got beat by Galway so it's ok for ye to do

Really? Name the Roscommon posters who did that.

• Advertisement

go away with that bull**** now kid, total and utter lack of conviction and bottle from a host of Roscommon players to take a punt, attitude like that will win **** all, hopefully the braver team will win replay i.e. galway

So I'll take that as a 'no', "kid"?

No player from either team scored against the relentless wind and rain from more than 30 yards out. It was pointless trying. If you were there you'd know that!

What disappointed me was the lack of patience shown by Roscommon on a few occasions when fellas did actually kick - with the expected non-result. Of course you had the usual panickers like yourself roaring "kick the fukin thing will ya" from the crowd and everyone around them wondering what game the fools were watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

In the end we were lucky enough to get the draw - conditions were shocking but felt we left ourselves open to a Galway revival by the tactics we employed especially in the first half, pulling the entire 15 behind the ball when we had the benefit of a wind that was straight down the pitch.

Anyway, hopefully we'll have learned more from it than Galway, but looks like it will be tight enough again the next day.

So I'll take that as a 'no', "kid"?

No player from either team scored against the relentless wind and rain from more than 30 yards out. It was pointless trying. If you were there you'd know that!

What disappointed me was the lack of patience shown by Roscommon on a few occasions when fellas did actually kick - with the expected non-result. Of course you had the usual panickers like yourself roaring "kick the fukin thing will ya" from the crowd and everyone around them wondering what game the fools were watching.

Excuses, excuses kid, ye need to raise the expectations, numerous players with the exception of niall daly didn't want to know about it, cathal creggs 'kick' before his score in fairness had nothing to do with the wind it was bad technique by a player under pressure......not good enough, too much champagne football played in February and march by this team methinks.

Excuses, excuses kid, ye need to raise the expectations, numerous players with the exception of niall daly didn't want to know about it, cathal creggs 'kick' before his score in fairness had nothing to do with the wind it was bad technique by a player under pressure......not good enough, too much champagne football played in February and march by this team methinks.

But he had the bottle to kick it, which directly contradicts your previous rant - "daddy".

And if you think the wind had nothing to do with the unwillingness of both teams to take long-distance shots, you're clueless "daddy".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Lads - best not to feed the Mayo trolls who run over here to get a rise. Might be best if they focus on their own championship and how they're going to take down the Dubs in August. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

very disappointing I dont know what has gone wrong for us since half way through the league, we should be beating a division 2 side like the Galways handy enough, too much messing around with the ball around the middle instead of kicking it into the forwards or over the bar

I'm not coming into Troll like the other poster but have to take this...
    very disappointing I dont know what has gone wrong for us since half way through the league, we should be beating a division 2 side like the Galways handy enough, too much messing around with the ball around the middle instead of kicking it into the forwards or over the bar

Its complete and utter tripe.

Roscommon haven't beat Galway in championship in years.

They also didn't win any significant amount of Connacht's since Galway's famine in 2008.

Roscommon, regardless of their league standing, are nowhere near the level that they can "handily beat division two teams like Galway".

There is very little between most of the higher D4, D3 and anyone outside of Dublin and then Kerry(Kerry are a mile behind Dublin too but still a tad ahead of the chasing pack) as has been evidenced enough this year.... Never mind how Roscommon nearly lost to New York... A team they should have "handily beat".

If you want to talk down other counties you have a lot more to do than get to D1 or win an under age or two.

Nobody outside of Dublin can talk about handily expecting to beat teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

You may not be coming to troll but you're responding to a troll - well done.

Nothing really to say about today.

I'm not coming into Troll like the other poster but have to take this...

Its complete and utter tripe.

Roscommon haven't beat Galway in championship in years.

They also didn't win any significant amount of Connacht's since Galway's famine in 2008.

Roscommon, regardless of their league standing, are nowhere near the level that they can "handily beat division two teams like Galway".

There is very little between most of the higher D4, D3 and anyone outside of Dublin and then Kerry(Kerry are a mile behind Dublin too but still a tad ahead of the chasing pack) as has been evidenced enough this year.... Never mind how Roscommon nearly lost to New York... A team they should have "handily beat".

If you want to talk down other counties you have a lot more to do than get to D1 or win an under age or two.

Nobody outside of Dublin can talk about handily expecting to beat teams.

You're 100% correct.

It's just that nobody here takes him seriously. That's typical of his occasional forays on here.

I said before it was a 50/50 game. I think the same of the replay, as do most Roscommon people that I've spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Syferus wrote: »
    You may not be coming to troll but you're responding to a troll - well done.

Nothing really to say about today.

Look who has come out of the woodwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

So you were composing your post before the game finished were denied the opportunity to post your narrative because the game finished in a draw.
    Instead of holding fire as you put it you go ahead despite your post not matching the outcome of the game!
    Surely you can see how idiotic your post looks? Maybe hit the preview post and take a deep breath next time. I have read other posts from you in both the Mayo thread and the general championship thread and you make good points and obviously have a good knowledge of the game but for whatever reason ha can't help but come into this thread as a pure wum, why?
    How are Roscommon "frauds"? Surely by your way of thinking its Galway that are the frauds, beat a top team in their own home ground but then can't kill off Roscommon who you have previously described as barely a team and a nothing team?
    As for your assertion of the deep run in the championship, surely after Mayo's very recent experience you can see the pitfalls of looking down the road at draws and permutations. Our management have always expressed the view of one game at a time.

As for the game itself today, I'm sure it came across as a very bad spectacle but you had to be in the ground to experience the horrendous playing conditions.
    I thought we were way too negative first half and was sure we would pay the price with only a 3 point half time lead.
    We were too ponderous in our build up play giving Galway time to funnel back when we should have counter attacked at greater speed. While the running out of defence has been our trademark all year I would have liked to have seen a bit more variation and a good 30 yard kick pass availed of more often to speed things up, this only happened a couple of times first half via Davy Murray and Niall mcinerney releasing Cathal cregg on the stand side.
    Why weren't we having a pop from the 45 when the opportunity arose? Murtagh landed one but the 2 creggs are well capable of it.
    We were in real trouble at half time and I thought the game was up with 20 mins left and Galway taking the lead but the lads showed great heart and resilience to keep at it. That said Galway really should have killed the game when Flynn burst thru creating a 2 on 1 but fair play to John McMAnus for a game saving block.
    Credit too to Donie for the late free. It probably looked a gimme but it was far from it. Have to say I enjoyed the whoops and hollering from Galway fans in close proximity as the ball was on its initial trajectory before it curled in.

Anyway great to get a second shot at it. A lot of stuff to work on and there is great scope for improvement. Galway can also say similar, like I can't understand why they didn't push up on our kick outs and force the longer ones where their strength was.
    Still going to be a close call next Saturday but can't wait.

like I can't understand why they didn't push up on our kick outs and force the longer ones where their strength was.
    Still going to be a close call next Saturday but can't wait.

Don't worry you'll get the same luxury with the kick outs next week.

Our manager places no importance of staying tuned in, pressing up and forcing teams long.... Or restarting quick and having tuned in players looking for similar and its going to kill us at some point this year as its giving no chance to build momentum and costing us scores(two today though one was the late ground free... Same as a kick out in practice).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MOD

I haven't time to go through the posts at the minute - but everyone should have a basic grasp of what's permissible here irrespective of whether it's your county thread or not. As a starter calling out other posters as trolls in thread is a definete no no - that's why we have a "report post" function. We can't actively police every thread on here - take a step back and make life a little easier on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭corny

I couldn't believe how poor Roscommon were at running off the man in possession. Players passed the ball in front of the Galway defence and acted like their job was done. The man in possession, with no viable options inside to aim at and no players running off him just shovelled it along. I mean the likes of Dublin and Tyrone do it with real verve but even Longford and Clare looked infinitely more cohesive this weekend.

That and the baffling first half game plan....i think you're either poorly coached or the players aren't listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

corny wrote: »
    I couldn't believe how poor Roscommon were at running off the man in possession. Players passed the ball in front of the Galway defence and acted like their job was done. The man in possession, with no viable options inside to aim at and no players running off him just shovelled it along. I mean the likes of Dublin and Tyrone do it with real verve but even Longford and Clare looked infinitely more cohesive this weekend.

That and the baffling first half game plan....i think you're either poorly coached or the players aren't listening.[/QUOTe

rosscommon defiantly dont need to adopt a defensive game plan but the conditions didnt suite a running game today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't think people realise how wet and windy Salthill gets

horrible place for a match

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Will Mayo getting drawn at home against Kildare in qualifiers throw a spanner in the works on castlebar option for next week. Castlebar wouldn't be big enough for a double header and only option would be to put mayo game back till Sunday or following week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Double header?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Sunday at 3:30 in Castlebar confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Sunday at 3:30 in Castlebar confirmed

Source?

Advertisement